New 16GB, 32GB iPhones appear in Carphone Warehouse systems

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 116
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimemachineDream View Post

Yeah that's what i'm wondering. Hopefully they do the same thing they did last year with the whole early upgrade if you already have an iphone thing. If not. selling it for 500.00 or so on craigslist and then cancelling my plan and signing up again might be the only option. But that would be totally inconvenient.

I hope they have some upgrade option, but with the high cost of the device through subsidation, which didn?t exist last time, I?d guess that current iPhone owners who have had their iPhone a x-months (12 months?) will have to fork out an additional $100 over the out-of-contract price. Just a guess.
  • Reply 102 of 116
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I hope they have some upgrade option, but with the high cost of the device through subsidation, which didn?t exist last time

I found this link for you and your use of 'subsidation' instead of 'subsidization'

http://www.bushwatch.com/dubyadiction.htm

Well I thought is was a funny page. Back on topic. Do you think that the itouch will follow in lock step with the iphone concerning the amount of G inside? Like if the iphone goes to 32g, will the itouch go to 64g?

I think that the itouch sales will explode it thats the case.

• Reply 103 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

I found this link for you and your use of 'subsidation' instead of 'subsidization'

http://www.bushwatch.com/dubyadiction.htm

Well I thought is was a funny page. Back on topic. Do you think that the itouch will follow in lock step with the iphone concerning the amount of G inside? Like if the iphone goes to 32g, will the itouch go to 64g?

I think that the itouch sales will explode it thats the case.

I make many spelling errors, but usually my posts are formatted and spelled well enough to be well understood. If they are not I will alter them to make them clearer. I would like to thank you writing more coherently and less like an avant-garde haiku from Denis Leary’s LSD experients .

So far, the high-end iPod Touch has gotten double the flash RAM as the iPhone. However, when working with expotential growth the cost to update the iPhone from 16GB to 32GB does not necessarily coincide with the cost to update the 32GB Touch to 64GB. Don’t look at it as a doubling of the capacity so much as a halving of the chip size for that same capacity. I don’t think that 64GB will fit into that same space at a reasonable price at this point, but the next Touch isn’t due until around September, when Apple usually updates their iPod line.
  • Reply 104 of 116
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimemachineDream View Post

Yeah that's what i'm wondering. Hopefully they do the same thing they did last year with the whole early upgrade if you already have an iphone thing. If not. selling it for 500.00 or so on craigslist and then cancelling my plan and signing up again might be the only option. But that would be totally inconvenient.

$500? Good luck with that. It's an older model remember. If you get $400, I would call that as very good.
  • Reply 105 of 116
    Quote:

I hope they have some upgrade option, but with the high cost of the device through subsidation, which didn?t exist last time, I?d guess that current iPhone owners who have had their iPhone a x-months (12 months?) will have to fork out an additional $100 over the out-of-contract price. Just a guess.

We might get the new models in September, which is when we will have ours for one year.

I think the price is $100 over the regular sign-up prices after one year.
  • Reply 106 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We might get the new models in September, which is when we will have ours for one year.

I think the price is $100 over the regular sign-up prices after one year.

Pretty much, which is what I based it on. I believe it?s a $175 cancelation fee that drops $5 each month. Since AT&T knows that many iPhone users will want the new device and the in-contract upgrade price is $200, which isn?t a good thing because you are canceling your number, I think that $100 would be a fair and round number for current iPhone 3G users. Maybe they won?t charge anything and maybe they won?t make you wait a x-many months. Hopefully we find out Monday, though AT&T is known for flip-flopping their policies on things.

Any predictions on the best business move for AT&T?
  • Reply 107 of 116
    Quote:

Pretty much, which is what I based it on. I believe it?s a $175 cancelation fee that drops $5 each month. Since AT&T knows that many iPhone users will want the new device and the in-contract upgrade price is $200, which isn?t a good thing because you are canceling your number, I think that $100 would be a fair and round number for current iPhone 3G users. Maybe they won?t charge anything and maybe they won?t make you wait a x-many months. Hopefully we find out Monday, though AT&T is known for flip-flopping their policies on things.

I don't see people canceling their contracts and beginning new ones to get the newer phone. What a pain!

But the $100 extra is what they did before, I think, and makes sense.

Quote:

Any predictions on the best business move for AT&T?

That's a pretty broad question! Nothing other than what's been mentioned in the press about LTE, improving the network with 7.2, etc.
  • Reply 108 of 116
    Quote:

I don't see people canceling their contracts and beginning new ones to get the newer phone. What a pain!

But the $100 extra is what they did before, I think, and makes sense.

I don?t either, but I?d imagine that AT&T also doesn?t want people going that route. Besides being a time consuming effort for their employees and extra work for their system they would probably also have to announce all those cancelations, despite also having all those new accounts. Too much work.

Last time, the profit sharing was in place so any original iPhone user was automatically eligible for the lower, upgrade-eligible price. With about 90 countries now selling the iPhone, the idea of a cheaper version that matches the current version, and the supply not appearing as strained this time around it seems that selling your iPhone 3G will be a much harder situation.

Quote:

That's a pretty broad question! Nothing other than what's been mentioned in the press about LTE, improving the network with 7.2, etc.

My ability to communicate on these board has been off recently, yet on my etymology boards I?ve been very cogent as of late. Life constantly surprises me. I am referring specifically to how AT&T will handle the iPhone 3G users who wish to upgrade.
  • Reply 109 of 116
    Quote:

With about 90 countries now selling the iPhone, the idea of a cheaper version that matches the current version, and the supply not appearing as strained this time around it seems that selling your iPhone 3G will be a much harder situation.

That's why I don't think $500 isn't a realistic price for a used one. Even $400 may be a stretch without trying to sell it to someone in a country where it isn't available. People are greedy though. I would think that at most, they would want to break even.

Quote:

My ability to communicate on these board has been off recently, yet on my etymology boards I?ve been very cogent as of late. Life constantly surprises me. I am referring specifically to how AT&T will handle the iPhone 3G users who wish to upgrade.

Well, I think it's as we discussed, an additional $100 will be tacked to the price. so the $199 model will go for $299, and the $299 model will go for $399.

I have to go to them shortly to get my daughter a data plan for the next two months in England, before we get her a new account over there in September, and so I'll ask them. They probably won't have a definite answer until the new phone is announced, at least. I hope they will know before the new phone is actually available.
  • Reply 110 of 116
    Quote:

Well, I think it's as we discussed, an additional $100 will be tacked to the price. so the $199 model will go for $299, and the $299 model will go for $399.

If they make it the standard $200 for ineligible upgrade pricing I?m not going to care much and i certainly won?t go through all the trouble to cancel my account and redo it just to save $100, but I am not sure how AT&T will see it, or if they will realize that is a possibly before the release. I don?t have faith in AT&T?s prudence, they seem much reactionary.

Quote:

I have to go to them shortly to get my daughter a data plan for the next two months in England, before we get her a new account over there in September, and so I'll ask them. They probably won't have a definite answer until the new phone is announced, at least. I hope they will know before the new phone is actually available.

As I recall, even after the iPhone 3G demo we still didn?t know how AT&T would treat current iPhone customers. It was expected that they would get the low price since they weren?t subsidized phones, but it wasn?t disclosed to AT&T retail employees. I recall asking different ones and getting different answers.
  • Reply 111 of 116
    Quote:

If they make it the standard $200 for ineligible upgrade pricing I?m not going to care much and i certainly won?t go through all the trouble to cancel my account and redo it just to save $100, but I am not sure how AT&T will see it, or if they will realize that is a possibly before the release. I don?t have faith in AT&T?s prudence, they seem much reactionary.

But I think it's what they've been doing for the 3G. If so, why would they change now?
  • Reply 112 of 116
    Quote:

But I think it's what they've been doing for the 3G. If so, why would they change now?

You mean if you are under contract with a different AT&T phone and want to get an iPhone 3G? I haven?t heard about special pricing, but since they wouldn?t most likely get a data plan out of the deal and the iPhone turn over rate is less than other phones it would seem like a smart move.
  • Reply 113 of 116
    Quote:

You mean if you are under contract with a different AT&T phone and want to get an iPhone 3G? I haven?t heard about special pricing, but since they wouldn?t most likely get a data plan out of the deal and the iPhone turn over rate is less than other phones it would seem like a smart move.

I mean if you are under contract to AT&T with an iPhone.
  • Reply 114 of 116
    Quote:

I mean if you are under contract to AT&T with an iPhone.

if you have an iPhone 3G and you lose/break it and need another? I’ve read that people were being charged the non-upgrade eligible price for a new one.

If you mean the original iPhone, I stated in previous post that they were already upgrade eligible since subsidization wasn’t in effect; just profit sharing, which presumably means that AT&T got to stop paying Apple each month for the original iPhone once I got the 3G.
  • Reply 115 of 116
    Quote:

if you have an iPhone 3G and you lose/break it and need another? I?ve read that people were being charged the non-upgrade eligible price for a new one.

If you mean the original iPhone, I stated in previous post that they were already upgrade eligible since subsidization wasn?t in effect; just profit sharing, which presumably means that AT&T got to stop paying Apple each month for the original iPhone once I got the 3G.

There hasn't been any loss insurance for the iPhone, because too many people were selling them and then claiming they lost them, or that they were stolen. It's always the dishonest ones that give the rest of us problems.

If the phone broke during the warrantee period then the warrantee is in effect. We bought the Applecare plans, just in case. I felt the extra coverage was worth it, even if we sold the phones early, though it's not really necessary.
  • Reply 116 of 116
    simulation credit

Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.