New 16GB, 32GB iPhones appear in Carphone Warehouse systems

Comments

• Reply 41 of 116
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We have 16s' now. My wife has little on her phone, and wouldn't need a 32?she doesn't really need the 16, but I didn't want her to feel left out when I bought the 16's for my daughter and myself.

We need to get our daughter a new phone for college in London this coming year. She doesn't put too much music on hers, but if the prices are the same, then I suppose a 32 would make her happy.

Didn't you just buy her a 3G less than a year ago? Why a new one already? What, does she need the compass to get around London?
  • Reply 42 of 116
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Safari, Trails, Remote Desktop

Plus I would not mind a feature where the 256MB could be made available as well to older iPhones - by taking it off the regular storage stack - dont care really

Resetting the iPhone solved crashing app problems. I had a problem once where every time I opened an app it crashes. Holding the power and home button together for few seconds reseted the iPhone and the problem disappeared.
  • Reply 43 of 116
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

Great news!

I'll take a 32gb one in white thanks.

sounds like a good plan .

• Reply 44 of 116
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    It just stuck me - instead of beefing up the iPhone - what we need is a thinner Mac Mini - with telephone antenna added - and a 7" touch screen slapped on the top of it - a bit wide to shove in a pocket - oh wait - not internal battery - hmmm - maybe wireless AC - or a flip out solar panel....
  • Reply 45 of 116
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

a 32gb iphone!? WHO WOULDA THUNK IT?

So does that mean the itouch will be 64g .

peace

• Reply 46 of 116
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Safari, Trails, Remote Desktop

Plus I would not mind a feature where the 256MB could be made available as well to older iPhones - by taking it off the regular storage stack - dont care really

I don't have Safari crash very often, maybe once a week. I haven't used the other programs you mention. You know, it could very well be these programs that are at fault. What about your other programs?
  • Reply 47 of 116
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

make mine stirred not shaken ini powder blue

I prefer bondi, thank you.
  • Reply 48 of 116
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

It just stuck me - instead of beefing up the iPhone - what we need is a thinner Mac Mini - with telephone antenna added - and a 7" touch screen slapped on the top of it - a bit wide to shove in a pocket - oh wait - not internal battery - hmmm - maybe wireless AC - or a flip out solar panel....

• Reply 49 of 116
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

These guys really need to throw in the kitchen sink on this version, as the Pre has really closed the gap with their v.1. Consumers win!!!

Yes, Palm has come close to clipping Apple's heels here, and I agree that it's good that Apple is externally motivated to keep moving forward at a rapid pace. Let's remember, however, that the Pre is a strong competitor to the iPhone 3G, and it showed up a year late for the competition.

BTW - I'm not upgrading my iPhone 3G until a new model can hold all my media. 128 gigs should do it, and I'll pay dearly.
  • Reply 50 of 116
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    I had some crashes in QuickTime bundles of YouTube application. White screen with "Q" buzzing in the center. Only exit/restart YouTube helps.

White Screen Of Death.
  • Reply 51 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

But the screen is better and the OS seems amazing. Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

I don't know. From what I've seen on the web of pictures of both, I'd say that the great looking screen is too small. Even on the iPhone's larger screen, there are words that are pretty small. The Pre seems to make use of very small type as well. That would make it even harder to read. Also, with the smaller screen, it's going to be more difficult to select something small. That will mean an extra step at times to enlarge that part of the image before selecting it.

As far as the OS being amazing, well that remains to be seen. I'm in the middle of the Engadget review (it's pretty long). There are more than a few problems with the way it's been implemented.

Now, some of those problems can be rectified, as on the iPhone. But will they be, or are they part of the concept?

Also, this looks to have been released a good 3 months early. The whole show is obviously a beta. Way too many bugs.

Even the SDK isn't being shown to more than a very few developers, and the phone will arrive tomorrow. Yes, I know the iPhone didn't have apps at the time of release. But the Pre was announced to have them. A dozen or so isn't very impressive, and the ones available aren't impressively showing off what the phone supposedly can do.

Also, the SDK will only allow HTML, and possibly Java "lite" apps.

So basically, we're back to the concept of locally run web apps. The very thing people complained about with the iPhone when they were announced. Pretty much widgets.

Several things it doesn't do that the iPhone is known for. no visual voicemail. You can't select non-adjacent messages in Mail to delete. Remember how people complained about that on the iPhone until it was "fixed".

The search that is being touted as so great doesn't search any data on the phone. Imagine that! It will use Google to search the web for something , but you can't find things on the phone itself.

A feature is that it will take all you contacts from wherever they may be, whatever account. That's great, until you realize that it puts every contact into the same place, not matter how many times you have it in different places, so you end up with several of the same one. Every "friend" on Facebook ends up in you contacts, even if you have no idea who they are, and don't want them. As I've seen noted, if someone only puts their birthday in your friends listings, all you will see i your contacts is the birthday, with no name linked to it. Useful? No doubt!

Also, you can't keep your business contacts separate, apparently.

There are so many of these gotcha's that the quick reviews don't get to.

No one knows if Palm will ever allow the SDK to access the Linux distro underneath.

There are also some other "uncool" things, like faking being an iPod. Shame!

So while I see a lot of enthusiastic reviews about some parts of the phone, I wonder what will happen when real people get them.

This reminds me of the Storm. From what I've read, they still get 20% return rate. That sucks!

RIM can afford that. But if the Pre gets 40% return rates in the beginning, like the Storm did, can THEY afford it?
  • Reply 52 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I suppose it'd better make her bloody happy! If it doesn't tell her she can only have a Nokia 1650 pay as you go phone. Geez... kids these days, eh?

She wouldn't like that for sure.
  • Reply 53 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Didn't you just buy her a 3G less than a year ago? Why a new one already? What, does she need the compass to get around London?

Well, she's got to get an account there, so she needs a new phone anyway. O2 has good plans. And she still needs her old phone for when she comes back here during holidays and summers.

Look, she did really well in school, and where she's going was her top choice. This is just a little reminder that when she does well, it's rewarded.

Jeesh! If I could reward my employees, I can reward my own daughter. I only have one.
  • Reply 54 of 116
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

I don't know. From what I've seen on the web of pictures of both, I'd say that the great looking screen is too small. Even on the iPhone's larger screen, there are words that are pretty small. The Pre seems to make use of very small type as well. That would make it even harder to read. Also, with the smaller screen, it's going to be more difficult to select something small. That will mean an extra step at times to enlarge that part of the image before selecting it.

As far as the OS being amazing, well that remains to be seen. I'm in the middle of the Engadget review (it's pretty long). There are more than a few problems with the way it's been implemented.

Now, some of those problems can be rectified, as on the iPhone. But will they be, or are they part of the concept?

Also, this looks to have been released a good 3 months early. The whole show is obviously a beta. Way too many bugs.

Even the SDK isn't being shown to more than a very few developers, and the phone will arrive tomorrow. Yes, I know the iPhone didn't have apps at the time of release. But the Pre was announced to have them. A dozen or so isn't very impressive, and the ones available aren't impressively showing off what the phone supposedly can do.

Also, the SDK will only allow HTML, and possibly Java "lite" apps.

So basically, we're back to the concept of locally run web apps. The very thing people complained about with the iPhone when they were announced. Pretty much widgets.

Several things it doesn't do that the iPhone is known for. no visual voicemail. You can't select non-adjacent messages in Mail to delete. Remember how people complained about that on the iPhone until it was "fixed".

The search that is being touted as so great doesn't search any data on the phone. Imagine that! It will use Google to search the web for something , but you can't find things on the phone itself.

A feature is that it will take all you contacts from wherever they may be, whatever account. That's great, until you realize that it puts every contact into the same place, not matter how many times you have it in different places, so you end up with several of the same one. Every "friend" on Facebook ends up in you contacts, even if you have no idea who they are, and don't want them. As I've seen noted, if someone only puts their birthday in your friends listings, all you will see i your contacts is the birthday, with no name linked to it. Useful? No doubt!

Also, you can't keep your business contacts separate, apparently.

There are so many of these gotcha's that the quick reviews don't get to.

No one knows if Palm will ever allow the SDK to access the Linux distro underneath.

There are also some other "uncool" things, like faking being an iPod. Shame!

So while I see a lot of enthusiastic reviews about some parts of the phone, I wonder what will happen when real people get them.

This reminds me of the Storm. From what I've read, they still get 20% return rate. That sucks!

RIM can afford that. But if the Pre gets 40% return rates in the beginning, like the Storm did, can THEY afford it?

You're not mentioning the camera- isn't that exemplary?
  • Reply 55 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You're not mentioning the camera- isn't that exemplary?

I didn't think of it.

3.2 MP rez. The same as what Apple is expected to have. A very weak LED flash.

Good lag time, we'll see how Apple does there.

NO video recording! Will Apple provide it? We don't know yet.
  • Reply 56 of 116
    I agree about competition. Strong competition for the iPhone can either make Apple strive to stay ahead or force them to give up - which I would seriously doubt.
  • Reply 57 of 116
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Quote:

Well, she's got to get an account there, so she needs a new phone anyway. O2 has good plans. And she still needs her old phone for when she comes back here during holidays and summers.

Look, she did really well in school, and where she's going was her top choice. This is just a little reminder that when she does well, it's rewarded.

Jeesh! If I could reward my employees, I can reward my own daughter. I only have one.

Props to you, and your daughter. I usually tell this story to the parents of new college students:

-

My dad's a physician, and I had a $150k bankroll lovingly squirreled away for my postsecondary education. My parents, less than confident in my discipline (not a problem you and your daughter seem to have), restricted my choices to four small, local, christian liberal arts colleges. They forbid me to work, would not allow me to bring my car (a near must-have in the suburban US), put me on meal plan, and gave me $25 a week for "entertainment." Because I wasn't allowed to work, I knew of nobody at my school with a tighter cash-flow situation than mine. My mom caught me smoking that Thanksgiving weekend and turned off my cellphone. More "broke" feeling than I'd ever been, I began to manufacture fake IDs with the guy in the next dormroom and resold alcohol to other minors for cash. Two semesters of private-school tuition later, I dropped out and joined the Army, so I could have money AVAILABLE to be comfortable during school. After getting discharged for an extra bone I didn't know I had, I worked in sales for a few years, until my parents decided to make my college fund available to me, with no strings.

I'm now twenty-six years old, supporting a wife and two sons doing only short-term contract work. I'm debt-free, and one semester away from a bachelor's degree in accounting from a private school. I've been accepted to law school, and I think I'm going to go. Without the unnecessary parental restriction on my finances, I feel I could have a CPA or JD by now, and I could be close to both. Right now, I'm doing everything my parents always wanted me to do. My parents had the right intentions, but the wrong application. Proper capitalization makes everything more successful.

-

I'm sure your daughter would be successful off-the-bat either way, and I'm sure she won't be skipping class to laminate fake IDs with an iron and the side of her computer case. Even so, it's important to reward your kids, even in anticipation of their success, to the extent that they feel like you're really in their corner. If you can afford to get her a 32GB iPhone, and you think it'd remind her on a daily basis how supportive you are of her, I think you're totally justified in doing so.

Get the black one, though. Dyed plastic is much more durable than bleached - hairline cracks, anyone?
  • Reply 58 of 116
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harmsway View Post

I'll take a 16GB Black please.

I hope AT&T does come out with a tiered data plan.

My wife would like my 1st generation iPhone when I get the new one, but she does not need web-surfing. More for phone, and occasional text message. And photos of the kids.

"need" is not an issue with with the iPhone. It's "want".
  • Reply 59 of 116
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    We won't get OLED, let's get the crying out of the way now - cause that's the main thing I wanted. Then Camera + flash. Then double the RAM + better Proc.

The screen is number 1.
  • Reply 60 of 116
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Yeah, it needs to be turned off every once in awhile. When I've heard people saying they are having odd problems with their iPhones I ask when is the last time they turned it off. They say they don't remember the last time they turned it off. Usually that fixes the problem.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Resetting the iPhone solved crashing app problems. I had a problem once where every time I opened an app it crashes. Holding the power and home button together for few seconds reseted the iPhone and the problem disappeared.