Apple unveils faster, more affordable MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 101 of 239
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

As I said before only BD advocates are making this comparison, they are slanting it towards BD.

You're the one slanting it Teno. BD didn't become viable until Toshiba pulled HD-DVD off the market. You know that very well. Competing standards always pull both down.

It's only during 2008 that BD really got started.

Quote:

Let's put it this way, DVD started in 1997, BD started in 2006. Around the 2000/2001 time frame is when DVD hit a tipping point where it became common for most people to have one. 2009/2010 would be the same amount of time for BD to have a similar tipping point. I don't see most people having BD players between this year and next.

Start with the proper date, and those numbers change radically.
  • Reply 102 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pedrofan View Post

definetly

MACS for MOMS

DELLS for DADS

Do you understand??

I'm beginning to think you're trolling. If so, please stop.

If not, don't act as though you are.
  • Reply 103 of 239
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pedrofan View Post

\t

I'm still waiting for the numpad on the 17'' macbook pro
    , How can you call pro a computer without number pad?? Real professionals use programs with lots of number entries!!

I'm still waiting for quad proccessor qx9300 17'' macbook pro All other brands already have it.

I'm still waiting for quadro fx graphic cards or gtx graphic cards; buying a 2500?-3500? notebook with a nvidia 9600 gpu IS A JOKE

I'm still waiting for BlueRay

CONCLUSIONS - I'm not going to wait anymore. I'm, going to buy a dell m6400 covet. THAT IS A REAL PRO NOTEBOOK, NOT THIS.

Personally, I'd get a separate numpad anyway.

How fast are those quad processors? I thought Intel's mobile quads are 2GHz. A desktop quad chip would be a mobile furnace, big & heavy with a short battery life.

I don't think Apple ever advertised having a mobile workstation. A pro media computer and mobile workstation aren't necessarily the same computer.
  • Reply 104 of 239
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I actually wasn't thinking about HD-DVD, and that's true.

At the same time, time itself is not on BD's side. As time goes on alternative sources outside of optical media continues to mature and become more numerous. Too many things have changed for BD to have the popularity of DVD. Optical media in general don't have the advantage it had years ago.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You're the one slanting it Teno. BD didn't become viable until Toshiba pulled HD-DVD off the market. You know that very well. Competing standards always pull both down.

It's only during 2008 that BD really got started.

Start with the proper date, and those numbers change radically.

• Reply 105 of 239
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Hi-Cap Battery

Check

Semi-Affordable 15" model

Check

FW800 back on 13"

Check

Backlit keyboard standard

Check

SD car reader

Check

Lower Prices

Check.

That's pretty much my entire wishlist. Thank you for learning how to listen Apple.
  • Reply 106 of 239
    Quote:

At the same time, time itself is not on BD's side. As time goes on alternative sources outside of optical media continues to mature and become more numerous. Too many things have changed for BD to have the popularity of DVD. Optical media in general don't have the advantage it had years ago.

I'm pretty sure that we've got years to go.

It's also been shown that 4,000p can work very well within the present specs of the BD system, which gives it a good growth curve for the future.

Only when broadband service to most customers becomes fast enough to serve for a quality download of movies with enough speed, will that begin to change.

We may not get FIOS where I live in NYC until 2014, when Verizon says most of the city will be served. Other areas will lag by several years. The same thing is true for other "true" high speed services.

Most average people won't stand for an hour to download a high quality movie.
  • Reply 107 of 239
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

At the same time, time itself is not on BD's side. As time goes on alternative sources outside of optical media continues to mature and become more numerous.

Unfortunately, they have a laundry list of issues too. There's not a standard, just a bunch of proprietary formats tied to proprietary devices.
  • Reply 108 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Unfortunately, they have a laundry list of issues too. There's not a standard, just a bunch of proprietary formats tied to proprietary devices.

What does that mean?
  • Reply 109 of 239
    Quote:

What does that mean?

I think he was meaning, for example, that the videos bought for one brand of device won't work on another brand of device.
  • Reply 110 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graeme View Post

The ability to plug in a video deck + external storage via fw or esata(via card slot) is still a regular need.

Firewire to esata is readily available, for example:

http://firmtek.stores.yahoo.net/spyderhub.html

Don't know how it's price compares to a slot-based solution.
  • Reply 111 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think he was meaning, for example, that the videos bought for one brand of device won't work on another brand of device.

But they do, of course. The only difference is some of the later features added.

People have to recognise that we live in a different time. Now with everything computerized, nothing stays the same. We get new features with firmware updates, etc.

Stability is out the window. Tv used to mean 640 x 480 broadcast, and 332 by 480 received, and that's it!

Now, everything is a changing mess.
  • Reply 112 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by D.J. Adequate View Post

But it slows E-SATA down considerably.
  • Reply 113 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by D.J. Adequate View Post

Isn't that worst of both worlds? Firewire is slower than eSATA and I think there are probably some conversion latencies. eSATA is supposed to be a native direct-to-bus connection as good as the internal SATA connection without having too many transport/signal/format converters.
  • Reply 114 of 239
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:

As I said before only BD advocates are making this comparison, they are slanting it towards BD.

Let's put it this way, DVD started in 1997, BD started in 2006. Around the 2000/2001 time frame is when DVD hit a tipping point where it became common for most people to have one. 2009/2010 would be the same amount of time for BD to have a similar tipping point. I don't see most people having BD players between this year and next.

the main reason there has not been a tipping point is that the BD association has held onto the rights tighter than DVD was.

So budget, which is ultimately what people buy, players have not made it to the market yet. But they have mentioned that the chinese manufacturers are allowed them this year, and they were expecting player prices of 99AUD sometime around Christmas 2009. Once the media comes back in price, then there will be a valid proposition.

Considering that DVD entered into the market during the begining of an extreme boom, and BD has had to weather the current market issues over the last year odd, BD is doing pretty well.
  • Reply 115 of 239
    Quote:

But they do, of course. The only difference is some of the later features added.

Examples? Can you play a video bought from iTunes video on a device of other brand? How about a video from Sony to any non-Sony brand device? Who is offering commercial downloaded videos that work well on multiple brands of devices?

Quote:

People have to recognise that we live in a different time. Now with everything computerized, nothing stays the same. We get new features with firmware updates, etc.

Stability is out the window. Tv used to mean 640 x 480 broadcast, and 332 by 480 received, and that's it!

Now, everything is a changing mess.

I think there's more potential, but they sure started out a step back from DVD, earlier paid download videos didn't have discrete surround, multiple languages, closed captions or subtitles. I'm not sure all of those are offered consistently yet.
  • Reply 116 of 239
    Quote:

Isn't that worst of both worlds? Firewire is slower than eSATA and I think there are probably some conversion latencies. eSATA is supposed to be a native direct-to-bus connection as good as the internal SATA connection without having too many transport/signal/format converters.

Not really ideal, but it works if you have the need for both inputs in your workflow. Just pointing out that Apple hadn't dead-ended anyone.

Really, though, I personally wouldn't do serious video work on a Macbook anyway, as an actual Mac Pro would be faster and let me hook in a good reference monitor.
  • Reply 117 of 239
    Quote:

Examples? Can you play a video bought from iTunes video on a device of other brand? How about a video from Sony to any non-Sony brand device? Who is offering commercial downloaded videos that work well on multiple brands of devices?

What?

We're talking about BD there. Nothing else.

Quote:

I think there's more potential, but they sure started out a step back from DVD, earlier paid download videos didn't have discrete surround, multiple languages, closed captions or subtitles. I'm not sure all of those are offered consistently yet.

I'm not even interested indownloads in a serious way yet. I tried some from itunes, and they were fine, but nothing thrilling.

I'm far happier with BD.
  • Reply 118 of 239
    Quote:

What?

We're talking about BD there. Nothing else.

You didn't notice? That explains why you didn't understand Ben's post.

Quote:

Quote:

At the same time, time itself is not on BD's side. As time goes on alternative sources outside of optical media continues to mature and become more numerous.

BenRoethig was talking about the alternative sources outside of optical media, here, I'm pretty sure it mostly means paid downloads. I'd be surprised if he was talking about BD, because that's just one format, not plural, and it's optical, meaning it's not an alternative to optical.
  • Reply 119 of 239
    Quote:

You didn't notice? That explains why you didn't understand Ben's post.

BenRoethig was talking about the alternative sources outside of optical media, here, I'm pretty sure it mostly means paid downloads. I'd be surprised if he was talking about BD, because that's just one format, not plural, and it's optical, meaning it's not an alternative to optical.

You're right. somehow I missed the linking of two sentences while I linked the others together.
  • Reply 120 of 239
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    That's true with downloads their is no ubiquity which limits the ability to move media around between different devices. But downloads aren't the only alternative. Streaming, cable television, video on demand, DVR are all competitors to optical media.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post