Apple unveils faster, more affordable MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 121 of 239
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Netflix reported millions of it's customers use it's streaming service. While about half a million rent BD.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm not even interested indownloads in a serious way yet. I tried some from itunes, and they were fine, but nothing thrilling.

I'm far happier with BD.

• Reply 122 of 239
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Guess that was a mistake. Doh. Any chance they will let me exchange it?

Edit: I called. They want a 10% restocking fee. Fine. I ordered a 15.4" 2.8 GHZ model which will be here June 11th. I expedited shipping for $18.00. When it comes, I'll transfer my shit and return this one to the store. For $40, I'll have a much better machine.

Un goddamned believable.
  • Reply 123 of 239
    anklosauranklosaur Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graeme View Post

So as far as connectivity goes you have go for the 17" before the macbook goes pro!

wondering where i can plug may raids in otherwise!

Sorry if this has been said but I've never really understood the need to connect a raid array to a notebook. Do you really carry the array around with you everywhere? I guess I could see it for a musician... or maybe a high end photographer, but still do you really need that much faster disk access out in the world? I'm just curious.
  • Reply 124 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Netflix reported millions of it's customers use it's streaming service. While about half a million rent BD.

I don't understand why you are so opposed to Apple offering an option for BD on OS X. It's an option, don't order it if you don't want it. But using the argument that it doesn't have enough uptake as a reason not to offer the option seems antithetical.
  • Reply 125 of 239
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 985member
    My brother ordered the previous 15" only last week and he hasn't even received it yet! The thing is he ordered a BTO with a 7200 RPM hard drive. What are the chances he can get the new version?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Guess that was a mistake. Doh. Any chance they will let me exchange it?

Edit: I called. They want a 10% restocking fee. Fine. I ordered a 15.4" 2.8 GHZ model which will be here June 11th. I expedited shipping for $18.00. When it comes, I'll transfer my shit and return this one to the store. For $40, I'll have a much better machine.

Un goddamned believable.

• Reply 126 of 239
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

I don't understand why you are so opposed to Apple offering an option for BD on OS X. It's an option, don't order it if you don't want it. But using the argument that it doesn't have enough uptake as a reason not to offer the option seems antithetical.

Well for some of us it imposes changes in how OS X behaves with media content and license issues from Apple's perspective.

What if the DRM changes affect my ability to access media content in other applications? Blu-ray is designed for large screen viewing with good sound systems attached. You have a vast minority of people asking for a feature that could have deleterious effects to the majority.

If Blu-ray comes it'll come for a Mac Pro first.
  • Reply 127 of 239
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Actually I'm not against it, I just don't think its as necessary as others claim it to be. It would be fine by me if Apple offered it as an option.

Quote:

• Reply 128 of 239
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Your complaint is.

You buy something the day before a major Apple showcase, and then complain because newer machines are announced.

Give us a break!

Ya know... i've been a member here and a mac user for a long damn time, and most of the time i'm on top of things... i apologize if i wasn't keeping up this time. I do have a thing called a LIFE and so I've been real busy.

Just wasn't paying attention.
  • Reply 129 of 239
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

My brother ordered the previous 15" only last week and he hasn't even received it yet! The thing is he ordered a BTO with a 7200 RPM hard drive. What are the chances he can get the new version?

Tell him not to open it and he should be able to return it without paying a restocking fee.
  • Reply 130 of 239
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    I can't believe that people are actually surprised (and even disappointed) that there is no B-R option in the new MBP. The surprise would have been if it was included!

As a viewing/consumer option, a laptop is a poor way to go (especially a laptop with less than 1920x1080 resolution). On the pro side, there is no noise whatsoever being made from apple about support for B-R in it's pro-apps.
  • Reply 131 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Tell him not to open it and he should be able to return it without paying a restocking fee.

Actually, tell him not to receive the package at all. When the carrier delivers the computer, just refuse to accept it.
  • Reply 132 of 239
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Shouldn't Microsoft have to stop running that ad where the annoying "filmmaker" passes on a Mac because the best laptop has under $2k only has 2GB of RAM? Because I just saw the thing on television again.
  • Reply 133 of 239
    photoeditorphotoeditor Posts: 244member
    They are really hobbling the 15 inch Macbook Pro. Overall, it seems great; better memory capacities, better hard drive capacities, better display, lower price.

But no Express Card support means no eSATA; and the ongoing lack of a matte display option means a literal headache for a lot of people. I think many people who need power AND portability are going to be very upset at having to either buy the 17 or else punt.

I thought the whole idea of lithium polymer batteries (which is what this long-life built in is all about) was to be able to build around unusual shapes, such as the space in the case taken by the Express Card slot. But no . . . we get stuck with a not-very-useful SD card slot that doesn't even take other small card formats such as xD.
  • Reply 134 of 239
    photoeditorphotoeditor Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anklosaur View Post

Sorry if this has been said but I've never really understood the need to connect a raid array to a notebook. Do you really carry the array around with you everywhere? I guess I could see it for a musician... or maybe a high end photographer, but still do you really need that much faster disk access out in the world? I'm just curious.

I think the idea is you operate entirely from the laptop without having to mess with a duplicate desktop system at home or in the studio. It's a bit frustrating to have a laptop that is powerful enough, cool-running enough, capacious enough and so on that it can replace your desktop machine . . . . and then find a crucial bottleneck for those days when you're not on the road and instead tethered to the server and backup drives, and wanting the full bandwidth they offer.

But Apple leaves 15 inch MacBook Pro users with no ultra-high-bandwidth raid due to the impossibility of using eSATA without Express Card. Gigabit Ethernet and FW800 aren't bad, but not in the same league. In practice it won't matter for stills photographers but for people shooting video I think it could be very frustrating. It seems you either lug the 17 inch around, or else punt.

Adding insult to injury is the fact that only a single card slot is provided. Not only is there no CF slot -- which remains the medium of choice for serious cameras -- but the SD slot provided does not also support xD and Memory Stick, unlike the vast majority of compact SD card readers.
  • Reply 135 of 239
    maccpumaccpu Posts: 14member
    Is Apple using the T or P series CPU's in the Macbook Pro 15 and 17?

For example:

2.66 Ghz - T9550 or P8800

2.8 Ghz - P9700 or T9600
  • Reply 136 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

I can't believe that people are actually surprised (and even disappointed) that there is no B-R option in the new MBP. The surprise would have been if it was included!

As a viewing/consumer option, a laptop is a poor way to go (especially a laptop with less than 1920x1080 resolution). On the pro side, there is no noise whatsoever being made from apple about support for B-R in it's pro-apps.

There's no doubt that a laptop isn't a great way to watch a movie. I mainly want a BD drive because I haven't purchased a DVD for the better part of a decade, and I own over 200 BluRay movies, not to mention that I have a lot of HD video that I want to offload.
  • Reply 137 of 239
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

There's no doubt that a laptop isn't a great way to watch a movie. I mainly want a BD drive because I haven't purchased a DVD for the better part of a decade, and I own over 200 BluRay movies, not to mention that I have a lot of HD video that I want to offload.

That's fair enough that you have a use for one, but there are no indications from apple that they are going to include it anytime soon. I just found it amusing that a great deal of this thread was centred on a feature that - let's not kid ourselves - was never going to come.
  • Reply 138 of 239
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Have you seen the streaming service? It's not great. The people who used to buy 8 hour tapes and copy four movies like it.

Still, BD usage is growing faster.
  • Reply 139 of 239
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Well for some of us it imposes changes in how OS X behaves with media content and license issues from Apple's perspective.

What if the DRM changes affect my ability to access media content in other applications? Blu-ray is designed for large screen viewing with good sound systems attached. You have a vast minority of people asking for a feature that could have deleterious effects to the majority.

If Blu-ray comes it'll come for a Mac Pro first.

Whatever is going to happen, is going to happen. This will just delay it a bit while giving the rest of us some frustration.
  • Reply 140 of 239
    lakorailakorai Posts: 34member
    Wonderful. They have decided to make the battery not easily replaceable and they canned the Expresscard slot.

Now we have an expensive Macbook. Still no high end video cards and it's still too expensive, but much better in price than it used to be. It's too bad they canned features that many pros want; ExpressCard for storage, audio cards etc and user replaceable batteries. These are essential features for pro users; like for the ability to use eSATA, SAS or other RAID arrays or replace a battery in the field.

Wasting away the Expresscard slot for a stupid SD card reader was a DUMB idea. Have BOTH on ALL models. It's not that more expensive to add Expresscard. If I can get Expresscard/54 on my $329 HP Mini 2140 that I just bought, then there is no reason why it shouldn't be found on EVERY apple laptop.

If my $329 netbook has these two essential features and a $2000 Macbook Pro doesn't then there's something wrong with this picture....

I should have to pa $2700 to get ExpressCard. I shouldn't have to buy an outdated Macbook Pro ALuminum to get a true replaceable battery.