Apple unveils faster, more affordable MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 61 of 239
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I know. But SDHC is now the prevailing card standard. The kind of devices, including SLRs that usually had CF is now moving to SDHC, camcorders seem to be moving to SDHC in large numbers, and the nonsense Memory Stick and xD formats haven't taken hold.

It's still just one standard. It's not likely that the better D-SLR's will go to SD of any type for years. As I mentioned, an SD adapter can go into a CF card slot, but not the other way around. A bad choice.
  • Reply 62 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

we just bought a new macbook pro on friday for my uncle and it's already being taken overseas. what should i do ???

this is bullsh/t

Your complaint is.

You buy something the day before a major Apple showcase, and then complain because newer machines are announced.

Give us a break!
  • Reply 63 of 239
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Glossy screens and built-in batteries = Apple shares tanking $5 on the news.

Wonder if they are going to give the public what they want any time soon?

You must be new here. AAPL frequently dives right after announcements. I suspect what investors really wanted was to see a healthy Steve Jobs on stage more than any specific product.
  • Reply 64 of 239
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

You must be new here. AAPL frequently dives right after announcements. I suspect what investors really wanted was to see a healthy Steve Jobs on stage more than any specific product.

And right now, AAPL is down less than one percent for the day. Nope, didn't "tank" at all, much less do it over glossy screens. Seriously, there are a few legitimate complaints to make about today's keynote, but that's one that not many care about.
  • Reply 65 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's still just one standard. It's not likely that the better D-SLR's will go to SD of any type for years. As I mentioned, an SD adapter can go into a CF card slot, but not the other way around. A bad choice.

Not sure what you consider "better", as everyone has their preferences. Canon appears to be making the switch right now with their latest new SLR:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=18385

Nikon's latest SLR, the D5000, also just went SD/SDHC:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...452/D5000.html
  • Reply 66 of 239
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

we just bought a new macbook pro on friday for my uncle and it's already being taken overseas. what should i do ???

this is bullsh/t

Maybe try waiting until after a major Apple event (announced a long time ago) which is typically a forum for new product announcements? Or maybe scheduled the overseas trip or whatever after the event? If that's not possible what about emailing Steve Jobs and asking him to reschedule WWDC before the planned trip to give you ample time to buy the new model?
  • Reply 67 of 239
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    this is OVERWHELMING pretty good over all

iPhone OS 3.0 on time

iPhone 3Gs on time

Snow Leopard on time

Snow Leopard Cheaper - $29

$1699 15" MacBook Pro - it will be cheaper with edu and some discount sites

4GB standard on most of the machines

pretty good indeed ...

on the blu ray - i already given up on that so not a disappointment

NOW apple update the iMac come september with Snow Leopard - done deal.
  • Reply 68 of 239
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

I would agree a bad choice for the high end, but not for the low end models.

Quote:

Not sure what you consider "better", as everyone has their preferences. Canon appears to be making the switch right now with their latest new SLR:

He most likely means the pro ones, examples: Canon 5D Mk II & 1Ds III, Nikon D700 & D3, among others. Those that you mentioned are consumer models.
  • Reply 69 of 239
    Well Apple manage to make me a happy owner of Macbook pro..

Of an OLD 2.66 Macbook pro..

First of all I require express card slot. Lots of stuff can go there like...let me think....hmm...

an 5-1 card reader maybe that also reads SD? And who require an SD reader anyway,my camera does that for me! And what about if you have an nice memory stick or any other memory card?

And second who has the bright idea to reduce the memory of the Graphic card from 512 to 256?

I love to play games and dont wont the louzy share memory. Ok It's Mac and DDR3 but that just means that is not that louzy as pc laptops.

Hope at least the improved display to worth the money...
  • Reply 70 of 239
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Adoption of new formats takes time, and is BD catching on any slower than DVD did? If DVD adoption was even slower, do you consider that format to be a failure?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

No the two circumstances are entirely different. Its only BD supporters who are attempting to make them the same. When DVD was first introduced it was a revolutionary new product and had no real competition. BD is not revolutionary and has a lot of competition.

I would have to agree with TB here. I don't see how you can compare the DVD uptake with that of BD. Unless you look at it in terms of computers. How long after DVD was introduced did players start to show up in computers and laptops... 10 years? 15? I don't know. But it certainly wasn't until the technology had matured greatly and been accepted by much of the public. I don't really care, I am not arguing against BD BTO options, but it has no interest for me and I think for most people. (unscientific opinion, I know)

Quote:

How can you cite evidence for something that doesn't exist?

Well, there could be surveys that show 0.5% of prospective laptop buyers consider BD BTO options important in making their decision. It is possible. Or you could even point to the fact that BD supporters have no evidence that masses of people care enough to pay exorbident fees...
  • Reply 71 of 239
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

this is OVERWHELMING pretty good over all

iPhone OS 3.0 on time

iPhone 3Gs on time

Snow Leopard on time

Snow Leopard Cheaper - $29

$1699 15" MacBook Pro - it will be cheaper with edu and some discount sites

4GB standard on most of the machines

pretty good indeed ...

on the blu ray - i already given up on that so not a disappointment

NOW apple update the iMac come september with Snow Leopard - done deal.

Agreed 100%. Good news, and solid execution, all around.

In addition, the stock remains flat (in a flat market) despite the fact that SJ did not make an appearance. Could the the curse of the SJ-put be finally over!?

All in all, I am both a pleased customer and pleased stockholder.
  • Reply 72 of 239
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

...Good news, and solid execution, all around.

All in all, I am both a pleased customer and pleased stockholder.

AAPL gained nearly 72% from its $83 52-week low so far.

Share the wealth man.
  • Reply 73 of 239
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Removing Expresscard from the 15" is a mistake but was probably necessary to fit the built in battery, which I don't mind at all.
  • Reply 74 of 239
    milles21milles21 Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I bet if Apple offered a blu-ray drive it would be pretty damn expensive. It would have to be an ultra-thin slot loading drive. Those aren't cheap by any means. You better want to watch movies on your laptop pretty bad! Other than watching movies, blu-ray is practically useless. If they also had a blu-ray burner in the same drive it may be useful for people using video/DVD editing apps.

Exactly!

Does anyone really care about Blu-ray, I say this because the majority of blu-ray that I have purchased come with a digital copy which gives you the movie from itunes for free. So is it a big deal for movie watchers.

I can see for storage however there are not a ton of people storing data on blu-ray I am speaking for the people I have seen.
  • Reply 75 of 239
    starriusstarrius Posts: 8member
    The article lists the 15 inch MBP as having a Firewire 800 port, which is fine. It also says that the 17 inch has a Firewire 800 port that supports Firewire 400. There is another article announcing the 13" MacBook Pro (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...book_airs.html), which also apparently has a FW 800 port that supports FW 400. So, does the FW port in the 15 inch machine support FW 400?

-- 15.4-inch widescreen LED-backlit 1440 x 900 glossy display;

-- 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 3MB shared L2 cache;

-- 1066 MHz front-side bus;

-- 4GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM, expandable to 8GB;

-- NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics;

-- 250GB serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensor;

-- a slot-load 8X SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW) optical drive;

-- Mini DisplayPort for video output (adapters sold separately);

-- built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR;

-- Gigabit Ethernet port;

-- built-in iSight video camera;

-- two USB 2.0 ports;

-- one FireWire 800 port;

-- SD card slot;

-- one audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analog;

-- glass Multi-Touch trackpad and illuminated keyboard;

-- built-in, 73WHr lithium polymer battery; and

-- 60 Watt MagSafe Power Adapter.

-- 13.3-inch widescreen LED-backlit 1280 x 800 glossy display;

-- 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 3MB shared L2 cache;

-- 1066 MHz front-side bus;

-- 2GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM, expandable to 8GB;

-- NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics;

-- 160GB serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensor;

-- a slot-load 8X SuperDrive(R) with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW) optical drive;

-- Mini DisplayPort for video output (adapters sold separately);

-- built-in AirPort Extreme(R) 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR;

-- Gigabit Ethernet port;

-- built-in iSight(R) video camera;

-- two USB 2.0 ports;

-- one FireWire 800 port (FireWire 400 compatible);

-- SD card slot;

-- one audio line in/out port, supporting both optical digital and analog;

-- glass Multi-Touch trackpad and illuminated keyboard;

-- built-in, 58WHr lithium polymer battery; and

-- 60 Watt MagSafe(R) Power Adapter.
  • Reply 76 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I would agree a bad choice for the high end, but not for the low end models.

He most likely means the pro ones, examples: Canon 5D Mk II & 1Ds III, Nikon D700 & D3, among others. Those that you mentioned are consumer models.

Okay... not sure where the cutoff is between "consumer" and "pro" anymore, but the most expensive camera that Canon makes ($8000) can take both CF and SD/SDHC:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...elTechSpecsAct
  • Reply 77 of 239
    Quote:

By "better" I mean the models above the entry level models.
  • Reply 78 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Well, there could be surveys that show 0.5% of prospective laptop buyers consider BD BTO options important in making their decision. It is possible. Or you could even point to the fact that BD supporters have no evidence that masses of people care enough to pay exorbident fees...

Apple doesn't do surveys.

The only evidence for BD that I have for PC laptops is that I've read (I didn't save the pages though) that laptops with BD are selling well.
  • Reply 79 of 239
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I would have to agree with TB here. I don't see how you can compare the DVD uptake with that of BD. Unless you look at it in terms of computers. How long after DVD was introduced did players start to show up in computers and laptops... 10 years? 15? I don't know. But it certainly wasn't until the technology had matured greatly and been accepted by much of the public.

DVD's first shipped in 1997, and there were power macs with DVD in 1998 and iMacs with it in 1999.

The first BD shipped about 3 years ago, June 2006 meaning three years so far with no support from Apple.
  • Reply 80 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milles21 View Post

Does anyone really care about Blu-ray, I say this because the majority of blu-ray that I have purchased come with a digital copy which gives you the movie from itunes for free. So is it a big deal for movie watchers.

I can see for storage however there are not a ton of people storing data on blu-ray I am speaking for the people I have seen.

I care. I have a PS3 that I use to watch BD movies (and that my daughter and friends use for, uh, I forgot what else that thing does).