Apple debuts speedier iPhone 3G S with built-in video camera

Comments

• Reply 121 of 263
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dotheJOBman View Post

i personally feel the blackberry kicks the i phones ass!!

i mean waht respectable adult uses an iphone for work.. and bbm! you can not even compare... also whats up with "looped" was steve jobs a stalker?!

If I was Blackberry, I'd be deeply embarrassed to have a user like you (that loves my product) sing my praises.
  • Reply 122 of 263
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    I don't see why no one has suggested that this is an interim upgrade to get the OS 3.0 out on upgraded hardware guts, while leaving upgraded exterior for a later date (this year). I think Apple will wait maybe 3-6 more months and then upgrade again, once the kinks have been worked out in the OS.
  • Reply 123 of 263
    bonklersbonklers Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Know which way you are facing?

GPS shows you where you are. Compass shows you where you are pointed. Full functionality of turn by turn directions are not possible without both components.

if you have gps AND a compass AND you're parked on the side, the program will know to tell you drive forward if your facing the right direction, or make a U turn if you're facing the wrong direction.

right now it can do that only if you are moving.
  • Reply 124 of 263
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I'm pretty sure AT&T reps do not know what the upgrade path to the new iPhone will be. That is what I was told when I called. All upgrade info you are getting from their site refers to the current iPhone.
  • Reply 125 of 263
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Great first post. You make me look good.

"Better," perhaps. I'll wait a little while longer before passing judgement.
  • Reply 126 of 263
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I went ahead and reserved a black 32GB iPhone 3G S for pickup at my local store on the 19 (the day before my wedding ).

I've had a 32GB iPod touch 1G and a 32GB iPod touch 2G. It's now time to finally step into the realm of iPhones
  • Reply 127 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Doesn't sound like you have any loyalty to them. Why should they reward your lack of loyalty?

What?? Exactly how am I not being loyal? *** fanboy.. Jesus, you really defend their practices?EDIT: Don't do that again.
  • Reply 128 of 263
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I went ahead and reserved a black 32GB iPhone 3G S for pickup at my local store on the 19 (the day before my wedding ).

I am sure the compass will come in handy.
  • Reply 129 of 263
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    This end-of-contract thing is a test from god, can I wait out for 6 months ffs, I can't see me doing it.

Does anyone know if Tom Tom will work on the 3G (not 3GS)? Their website says iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 130 of 263
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Let me get this straight. I can only upgrade at subsidized price if I wait 1 year since my iPhone 3G purchase?

I bought mine around August 8, 2008, so if I go to the Apple store August 9, 2009 I can get a 3GS 32gig for $299? and add one additional year to my current AT&T plan?
  • Reply 131 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonklers View Post

if you have gps AND a compass AND you're parked on the side, the program will know to tell you drive forward if your facing the right direction, or make a U turn if you're facing the wrong direction.

right now it can do that only if you are moving.

Thank you for restating what I said and adding nothing
  • Reply 132 of 263
    rco3rco3 Posts: 76member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pedrofan View Post

Some trivial questions:

I have a jailbroken iphone 3G that records video with cycorder; if it can do it why doesn't apple support it on OS3.0?? -->> TO SELL US AN IPHONE 3GS

No, it's because it can't do good video.

I've seen cycorder's output. It sucks. It doesn't do 30 fps, doesn't do decent resolution. It looks like ass. Homemade ass, at that. 6-15 fps, 384x288? You want that kind of video, go jailbreak. You won. Celebrate. You have successfully put one over on Apple. I suggest a good cigar and an expensive companion for the evening.

The whole, "Apple could have put video capture into [iPhone 3G, iPhone OSx.xx, iPod Touch, iPod nano, etc.] meme needs to die, now. Cycorder is a lousy counterexample.
  • Reply 133 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I've had a 32GB iPod touch 1G and a 32GB iPod touch 2G. It's now time to finally step into the realm of iPhones

Your wife is going to be so pleased that she gets to spend the first couple days of your honeymoon watching you play with the compass
  • Reply 134 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

What?? Exactly how am I not being loyal? Dipshit fanboy.. Jesus, you really defend their practices?

Uh yeah, by ranting and raving on a message board about how terrible they are? I bet your wife wouldn't be too impressed with your behavior if you were talking about her instead of ATT, right?
  • Reply 135 of 263
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

what happened to the 64gig Touch, And the Touch with a camera. Plus that Badass Matte Black finish and no chrome. that was slick looking.

The iPod family is updated in September... in September a 64GB iPod touch with camera is likey, I'd love a GPS and microphone in it too as there are so many apps that lever these features.
  • Reply 136 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Let me get this straight. I can only upgrade at subsidized price if I wait 1 year since my iPhone 3G purchase?

I bought mine around August 8, 2008, so if I go to the Apple store August 9, 2009 I can get a 3GS 32gig for $299? and add one additional year to my current AT&T plan?

No one here knows. If you want an answer, your best bet it to wait about a week and then go into an ATT store and ask.
  • Reply 137 of 263
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jr1882 View Post

Why wouldnt they??? They would just have locked me in for another 2 years instead of the 1 year I have now.... That's $1500 in their pockets for the extra year of service.

That depends on how much net profit they are getting from the iPhone in a year after the subsidization. The exclusivity isn?t cheap. The benefit for AT&T is that every iPhone has a data plan attached to it and if they think a buy may jump to another carrier if they can?t get the upgrade eligible price after 12 full months then it may behoove them to allow this option for iPhone 3G users. It?s all about the best way to turn a profit.
  • Reply 138 of 263
    this thread brings the lulz... as threads on this site always do when talking about cell phones.. I swear you people act like you've never bought a phone before and don't understand subsidizing at all. how did you get by before the iphone? I'll explain it... again:

the original iphone was unsubsidized (AT&T gave you nothing to buy the phone) this made the phone more expensive ($600) but the plans were cheaper because AT&T didn't need to recoup any costs.

the iphone 3G was subsidized ($200) which means AT&T pitched in the other $400 for the phone to get more customers. However AT&T needs to recoup that money, so they charge you $20 more per month, which means over the course of 2 years, they recoup their money plus interest ($480... 24months * 20 bucks). This extra 80 bucks over two years is why AT&T allowed people how had the first gen iphone upgrade for cheap. They now were able to lock you in for 2 years and charge you more per month and get an extra 80 bucks out of you over 2 years.

Now everyone who has an iphone 3G at the most has had the phone 11 months. AT&T has only recouped $220 from you from the $400 they pitched in for you to get the phone. Why would they then pitch in another $400 for you to get the new phone? If you want the new phone, AT&T is saying, okay, but you are bringing your own $400 this time.

hopefully this explains everything to people who have apparently never purchased a cellphone before or never signed a contract.
  • Reply 139 of 263
    bareddbaredd Posts: 31member
    Well sadly I think apple have lost the war on the smartphone Market. They needed figures to impress the ignerant consumer. I was thinking of upgrading my 16gb 3g but I don't see a real need the new features are nice but not needed for me. The software both os3 and Osx WOW impressed. MacBooks 7hours battey life suits me so really the only dissapointment is the iPhone "upgrade" wanted a higher resolution screen HD Video, thinner, maybe a bit of a redesign but there you go
  • Reply 140 of 263
    bonklersbonklers Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

http://i.gizmodo.com/5283568/real-co...than-you-think

apparently if you upgrade before your first year is up, then you pay $200 extra for the new iphone. if you wait till your 1st year is up then you pay $100 extra. if you wait till your 2yr contract is up, then you can get it for the advertised price.