Apple debuts speedier iPhone 3G S with built-in video camera

Comments

• Reply 161 of 263
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by firehire View Post

So true, I just tried to upgrade and it was it $499.00 for the 32GB. It told me I had to wait until 5/23/2010 to get a better price. ATT better pull their heads out of their rectums, because they will lose a ton of upgrade sales with these Gestapo tactics.

I don't suppose it occurred to any of you posting this same basic message (whether at $699 or $499) that ATT&T is paying Apple probably hundreds for each iPhone they subsidize (as well as a monthly %age), and to do so twice in a year or less would greatly lower their profits over the contract period. And of course some of you all will want to do the same thing again next year. And next year. And........

Imagine that - a business that exists to make a profit that cares about making a profit. Gestapo indeed.

Of course there could have been better pro-rating and some consideration for loyalty, and less lock-in to a full new contract given that at $600 you ARE buying the damn phone...

..But some of this falls on Apple as well, who could encourage upgrades and keep their lines humming by cutting ATT&T some slack on phones upgraded from 3G to 3GS - and between them figuring out something useful to do with all the turned in 3G's.....

...Of course, there ARE plenty of reasons to criticize ATT&T - enough to keep me from buying an iPhone period, since my primary use for it is still (gasp!) a phone, so my choice is an iPod and Verizon phone for now. And there are plenty of reasons to criticize the cellco's in general (e.g., my own carrier, V, for crippling so many features and the rip-off prices for their own features, etc. I just don't think this is ENTIRELY one of those reasons.
  • Reply 162 of 263
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

so is "voice dialing" part of hardware 3gs or 3.0 update?

do i get my voice dialing???

I believe that it does. As per Apple's "iPhone OS 3.0 Software Update," page, it appears to be only two things that are not supported, i.e., "MMS is not supported on first-generation iPhone. Sending video via MMS is not supported on iPhone 3G." As well, 'tethering' which is 'carrier' related, in some respect

http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/
  • Reply 163 of 263
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

I purchased the 2G the day after launch, so it's been almost 2 years, but when I go to upgrade through Apple's website it tells me I am eligible for the full retail price. WTF?

If I were you I'd go right away to complain on a web site. Yeah, that should fix the problem!

Oh wait.... after that doesn't work, you might call ATT.

• Reply 164 of 263
    is there a way to have just 2g service for talking on the phone and 3g for everything else? that would be awesome...i think..
  • Reply 165 of 263
    aaron h.aaron h. Posts: 8member
    What I find most frustrating is the seemingly random application of "full upgrade pricing" dates. I bought my 3G (and original) iPhone on launch day, yet I'm not available to upgrade until 3/13/2010. Why? Many others say they are eligible on July 12, others in December, etc. This makes no sense and should be addressed sooner rather than later.

But more importantly, if I have to wait all the way until March next year to get the upgrade pricing, I will just wait 3 extra months and get the next generation iPhone and skip this one. So, in an effort to get an extra $200 from a loyal customer, they are generating ill will *AND* losing over $600 in the process. How is that?

I currently pay for 3 AT&T phones - my 3G iPhone, my wife's original iPhone, and my son's Samsung something. When I get a new phone my wife gets the 3G and my son gets the original. So, I spend $300 on hardware, wife's plan goes up $10 a month and son gets a $20 data plan. $660 (plus all of the various upgrade fees and add-ons they kill you with) out the window so they can get attempt to get an extra $200.

It really blows my mind they could be so short sighted.
  • Reply 166 of 263
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I don't see why no one has suggested that this is an interim upgrade to get the OS 3.0 out on upgraded hardware guts, while leaving upgraded exterior for a later date (this year). I think Apple will wait maybe 3-6 more months and then upgrade again, once the kinks have been worked out in the OS.

A more realistic scenario is that because of the inclusion of their own home made silicon, that *next* years iPhone (12 months, not 3-6), will be a significant redesign of the whole handset. They have enough hassles upgrading everything on a yearly schedule. I don't see them switching to a six month schedule.

This year seems to be about tweaking the original 3G to answer all the critics and all the whining about "what's missing" from the iPhone. The 3.0 software, on the new hardware basically answers every post you've ever read anywhere where some idiot is going on about their favourite feature that other phones have that iPhone doesn't. They are also lowering the price so that they can push it out worldwide in some kind of crazy volume.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately for Apple), the carriers are not stepping up to the plate in terms of either service or lowering their prices to something more reasonable. This means that with *next* year's iPhone, the major barrier to adoption will be the carriers themselves. Look for Apple to focus next year not only on a ridiculously cool and fast redesigned iPhone, but also on lowering that last barrier by offering the iPhone to more carriers. In many countries the CDMA networks are being replaced with newer gear. In Canada for example, by next year or very soon after, there will be three different carriers that will be able to support iPhone, not just one like now.
  • Reply 167 of 263
    xtrailxtrail Posts: 5member
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics\t

vs

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB

Will the added 9600M GT with 256MB make a difference in performance?

Is it worth $250 upgrade?

How?

THANKS
  • Reply 168 of 263
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    For those who bought the original iPhone and want to upgrade to the new iPhone 3GS you can either,
    1. Wait till your 2-contract is up and then get the new one at $199 for the 16 GB on a new 2-year contract

2. Buy out the remaining time on your 2-year contract and then get a new iPhone 3GS at the subsidized price with a new 2-year contract. Termination fee is $175 if you signed before May 25th, 2008 or if you signed after that date, pay $175 less $5 for each month of use.*

3. Pass on or sell off your current 2-year contract to your spouse, children or other innocent relation and get yourself a new subsidized iPhone and 2-year contract.

4. Pay the full list price, e.g., $599 for a 16 BG iPhone 3GS and get an additional, separate 2-year contract.

*http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...plan-terms.jsp
  • Reply 169 of 263
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    Quote:

If I were you I'd go right away to complain on a web site. Yeah, that should fix the problem!

Oh wait.... after that doesn't work, you might call ATT.

Way to add to the conversation cameronj. I thought there just might be someone here that knows about it and could answer the questions before I spend an hour on the phone with some new AT&T employee. Obviously you are not that person.
  • Reply 170 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Which means that you have yet to fill your contract obligation. Maybe you just have to wait a few days. But WHT would I know. AFI

Perhaps. It would be nice if the website were a little clearer about it. Instead it just says I'm "elligible" to pay full retail price of $699. So generous of them! Must be a customer loyalty reward lol
  • Reply 171 of 263
    Quote:

Perhaps. It would be nice if the website were a little clearer about it. Instead it just says I'm "elligible" to pay full retail price of $699. So generous of them! LOL

If you had the original Edge phone from 2 years ago, you had no contract to fullfil, you paid a fully unsubsidised price with the benefit of having no contract. You should have the $99/199/299 price.
  • Reply 172 of 263
    Quote:

Way to add to the conversation cameronj. I thought there just might be someone here that knows about it and could answer the questions before I spend an hour on the phone with some new AT&T employee. Obviously you are not that person.

Really? You actually thought that someone here could tell you why YOUR account wasn't eligible for upgrade? Really? You're joking right? You wanted to bitch, and you did. Now go call ATT.
  • Reply 173 of 263
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Perhaps. It would be nice if the website were a little clearer about it. Instead it just says I'm "elligible" to pay full retail price of $699. So generous of them! Must be a customer loyalty reward lol

Look at your account on AT&T's website it will tell you the date you are eligible for a new subsidized phone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post

If you had the original Edge phone from 2 years ago, you had no contract to fullfil, you paid a fully unsubsidised price with the benefit of having no contract. You should have the $99/199/299 price.

This is true also.
  • Reply 174 of 263
    Quote:

Really? You actually thought that someone here could tell you why YOUR account wasn't eligible for upgrade? Really? You're joking right? You wanted to bitch, and you did. Now go call ATT.

The only one I see bitching here is you, and as you can see, TenoBell and dguisinger actually did provide information which is appreciated. At any rate, I didn't need to call AT&T. It seems it was just a glitch as I tried going throught the website again and it now gave me the correct pricing. Weird.

As an existing customer, you qualify for the following iPhone pricing: You'll be able to choose the iPhone you want a little later in the process.

$99.00* — 8GB iPhone 3G (black)

$199.00* — 16GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)

$299.00* — 32GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)
  • Reply 175 of 263
    Quote:

The only one I see bitching here is you. And quit trying to talk tough on the internet - it's lame Anyway, I didn't need to call AT&T. It seems it was just a glitch as I tried going throught the website again and it now gave me the correct pricing.

Exactly. Thank god you came here and asked what the f***. That really helped you out didn't it? Not to mention raised the level of discourse.
  • Reply 176 of 263
    Quote:

Exactly. Thank god you came here and asked what the f***. That really helped you out didn't it? Not to mention raised the level of discourse.

Pot, kettle, black. I'm done.
  • Reply 177 of 263
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xtrail View Post

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics\t

vs

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB

Will the added 9600M GT with 256MB make a difference in performance?

Is it worth $250 upgrade?

How?

THANKS

Contact Apple for your answers. If you can't grasp that OpenCL on a second GPU will benefit the entire OS and its applications base then please seriously contact Apple.
  • Reply 178 of 263
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richwl View Post

That is crazy if true. I've had my 2G iPhone for nearly 2 years, but still. I get the upgrade price of $299 for the 32GB 3GS and you have to pay $699? Have you had your 3G for a full year?

Did you mistype something? He?s only had his subsidized iPhone less than a year when he signed a two year contract for it. You have have had yours nearly two years, but more importantly, it wasn?t subsidized so you get the upgrade eligible pricing.
  • Reply 179 of 263
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post

Not quite. It wasn?t subsidized but there was profit sharing which means that AT&T was paying Apple per-month for each month you had an account with them. When you set it up on iTunes and your SSN was accepted you were digitially signing a 24-month agreement. If you put a false SSN or one with a very bad rating you were given the option for pay-as-you-go, which required you sign a digital contract for usage, but that had no time requirement appended to it.

It?s too bad profiting sharing didn?t work.
  • Reply 180 of 263
    remarkremark Posts: 13member
    I guess it will take me less time to learn I have no reception