Apple debuts speedier iPhone 3G S with built-in video camera

18910111214»

Comments

• Reply 261 of 263
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Nooooooo. The CEO of Nokia paid all due respect to Apple and the iPhone. He was correct in his assessment. He admitted that Nokia had missed the mark in some respects. You are almost correct in the part about the flagship being feature laden. With the N97 Nokia decided to go with good hardware as opposed to the latest and greatest like Samsung. Nokia decided to build out the Symbian OS and migrate it toward the Open Source versions that are in the pipeline. The hardcore Nokia fans are having shit hemorrhages because Nokia went with proven hardware and optimized code for the N97. After playing with the N97 for a while, I can say it is very iPhone like and will get better with the next iteration. Ovi, in my opinion is a disaster in progress but has the potential to excel once they decide to take the Finns out of the UI picture. Finns can make many great things, UI's are not one of them. The Ovi Store has a shaky start but from the look of it, things have smoothed out and with the store/phone/payment integration it is actually pretty smooth and transparent. Not harder than purchasing from the Apple App Store. This I call even in functionality.

Right. So if the CEO of Nokia is starting to get it, so should you. The iPhone isn't about hype, and it isn't about features, and it isn't about fan boys mesmerized by hype to accept a crippled feature set.

It's about ease of use and doing what it does well. Apple has come close to finishing the "my phone has been able to do that all along" list, but they've done it at their own pace and with typical attention to detail.

So whether or not you think that iPhone users are delusional to celebrate functionality that you think should have been there all along, the fact is that while the iPhone has been carefully adding these things the Nokias and Windows Mobiles of the world have just been trying to figure out how to get their UIs to start to resemble the iPhone. They haven't been adding new functionality, outside of "more better" they're bascially stationary targets.

It's all about software now, and Apple is very well positioned to run that football down the field. They made a phone, right out of the gate, that made software the focus by all but elimating the perception of hardware. The phone is the screen is the UI, the UI is the phone, and the apps are what it's for.
  • Reply 262 of 263
    randfeerandfee Posts: 7member
    does nobody have sample images or video taken with the new iPhone yet? Nobody took some at WWDC, can't believe it!

Gizmodo apparently had some but they've been deleted...
  • Reply 263 of 263
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I'm not sure if you are directing this at me but I said nothing about Apple's implementation of features as revoltionary. I think it can be said Apple's implementation of user experience is innovative. We were talking about video capture. I have not seen or heard of another phone UI that allows you to focus the image by touching the place on the picture you want in focus. Then you are able to cut and trim the video and immidiately upload it to video galleries such as Youtube and Flickr. That is innovation. It will be proven by the fact that the iPhone will be the most used phone for posting video.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

It's no more simplistic than fawning over features that other phones have had for years and acting like its revolutionary simply because Apple says its so. If the iPhone had to stand on its merits alone it might not do as well, however with Apple and its very good hype machine, features that others manufactures have had for years and years suddenly become new with the iPhone. The sad this is people actually fall for the hype. It will be very interesting to see what happens on June 20th with the so-called S version. Personally I do not think it will sell as well as the original 3G, but you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can fool iPhone iBoys all of the time.