iPhone 3G users to pay $200 premium for early upgrade to iPhone 3G S

Comments

• Reply 241 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why do iPhone owners, with a 2 year contract, think they can get the new iPhone at the cheap rate after 1 year? Just because you waited in a ridiculous line last year or whatever does not give you any free ride. Why do you think you should be treated any differently than any other cellphone purchaser anywhere with a 2 year contract?

You can't blame AT&T on this one. Maybe Apple should have waited until next year to release it instead. I wondered last year how you all got away with that deal. You've all been spoiled.

The reason is simple. This is a new policy to them. The most devoted and loyal iPhone customers, the ones that were in line for the last 2 years in a row to own the latest offering are now being thanked for their patronage being told that they have to pay a premium to do the same thing the third year. Many companies offer consumer loyalty bonuses, but in this case, consumer loyalty puts them in the back of the line, unless they want to pay extra.

I was one of them. I couldn't wait to place my order yesterday, but was shocked and dissappointed to be told I had to wait or pay nearly double the price shown at the bottom of the order page. I honestly have a hard time stomaching paying $218 more than the advertised price (sans fine print) for the same product, just because I was already a big fan and was in line the last 2 years for the release.

One other thing that a lot of us have forgotten is that when the original iphone was released and we stood in line for hours to get it, we paid $599 for it. Then within 2 months, they dropped the price by $200 and people were outraged. In fact the public outrage was so great that Apple ended up coming back to lighten that blow by giving us a $100 gift card.
  • Reply 242 of 429
    moofrankmoofrank Posts: 15member
    Our situation is odd. Bought a 3G in late July as an upgrade from a 1G bought on 12/26 2007.

My wife uses the 2G. We cut her over in January 2009.

The upgrade Date on my phone reads 8/15/2009. Possibly 1 year

Hers reads 12/26/2009. 2 years.

One thing I have wondered is if folks with 1G Iphones can be upgraded as a service request. In our case, it seems as if the Edge network has gotten much slower in our area since last July when I was using the 1G Iphone. For her, it is glacially slow.
  • Reply 243 of 429
    I just want to encourage everyone to write in to apple about their egregious upgrade pricing for existing customers. $500, $600, $700 for an upgrade to the 3gs.

[email protected]
  • Reply 244 of 429
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Can anyone in this thread count? Anyone?

Your contract with AT&T is TWO years. Understood? 1 + 1 = 2 years.

AT&T has decided to offer subsidized pricing to ALL iPhone customers of 1 year or more. This is not required, expected, or even necessary given the TWO year contract you signed.

AT&T may be a horrible company (they are, I assure you), but give credit where its due. All 3G owners will be eligible for subsidy halfway through their contract. Unlike Verizon, or Sprint, or any other U.S. carrier.

Verizon after 18 months- plus a $50 credit.
  • Reply 245 of 429
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moofrank View Post

Our situation is odd. Bought a 3G in late July as an upgrade from a 1G bought on 12/26 2007.

My wife uses the 2G. We cut her over in January 2009.

The upgrade Date on my phone reads 8/15/2009. Possibly 1 year

Hers reads 12/26/2009. 2 years.

One thing I have wondered is if folks with 1G Iphones can be upgraded as a service request. In our case, it seems as if the Edge network has gotten much slower in our area since last July when I was using the 1G Iphone. For her, it is glacially slow.

There eligibility dates do seem odd as I have two iPhone 3Gs (little ?s? indicating more than one) on my account yet the one bought earlier has an upgrade eligibility date 4 months after the one I bought a week or two later.

I?m sure they will do something after the main rush but after they have gotten sufficient payback from their iPhone 3G subsidization. Remember that the original iPhone wasn?t subsidized and that this type of year-over-year demand is new for a cell company.

I stated last year when the new iPhone came out that a 1 year subsidization would be more ideal foe me since I update my phone yearly. Personally, I?d rather pay for the device up front if they also allowed for a lower plan to compensate for that. As it stands now, the cancelation fee is far cheaper than the $400 additional you pay for an out-of-contract iPhone.
  • Reply 246 of 429
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

I just want to encourage everyone to write in to apple about their egregious upgrade pricing for existing customers. $500, $600, $700 for an upgrade to the 3gs.

[email protected]

You aren?t upgrading it, you are buying a whole new device. Regardless of who you are the device has a retail cost. If you have chosen to subsidize your phone through a carrier, your carrier will likely not budge until they make their money back plus some profit. Why this is so hard to understand when this is SOP.
  • Reply 247 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgunther View Post

The reason is simple. This is a new policy to them. The most devoted and loyal iPhone customers, the ones that were in line for the last 2 years in a row to own the latest offering are now being thanked for their patronage being told that they have to pay a premium to do the same thing the third year. Many companies offer consumer loyalty bonuses, but in this case, consumer loyalty puts them in the back of the line, unless they want to pay extra.

I was one of them. I couldn't wait to place my order yesterday, but was shocked and dissappointed to be told I had to wait or pay nearly double the price shown at the bottom of the order page. I honestly have a hard time stomaching paying $218 more than the advertised price (sans fine print) for the same product, just because I was already a big fan and was in line the last 2 years for the release.

One other thing that a lot of us have forgotten is that when the original iphone was released and we stood in line for hours to get it, we paid $599 for it. Then within 2 months, they dropped the price by $200 and people were outraged. In fact the public outrage was so great that Apple ended up coming back to lighten that blow by giving us a $100 gift card.

While I understand your pain , you still are not getting that AT&T is not the company making the iPhone. They are not obligated to give you a break. Perhaps Apple is but not AT&T. AT&T has continually provided bad service and connectivity- why would you now expect them to give you a price break under 2 years? Apple knew this was going to happen. They should have either waited to release new iPhone or eaten the costs themselves for a new one- not AT&T.
  • Reply 248 of 429
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    This is a big slap in the face of existing loyal customers. I can only hope they back down on this as they did in prior years, but it seems that they so only after loud complaining as they did in the lower price refund gen 1 iphone debacle, and I do agree that Apple takes the lead and the blame on this one.
  • Reply 249 of 429
    Quote:

AT&T has decided to offer subsidized pricing to ALL iPhone customers of 1 year or more. This is not required, expected, or even necessary given the TWO year contract you signed.

AT&T may be a horrible company (they are, I assure you), but give credit where its due. All 3G owners will be eligible for subsidy halfway through their contract. Unlike Verizon, or Sprint, or any other U.S. carrier.

With all due respect. It's not really about counting as it is "new math".

Old Math 2 yr contract - 1 yr completed + new 2 yr contract = new customer price

New Math 2 yr contract - 1 yr completed + new 2 yr contract = new customer price + $218

Last year we were able to sign a new two year contract and get the same advertised price as new customers. This year those numbers have changed and we can get the same price 6 months later.
  • Reply 250 of 429
    Quote:

Old Math 2 yr contract - 1 yr completed + new 2 yr contract = new customer price

New Math 2 yr contract - 1 yr completed + new 2 yr contract = new customer price + $218

Last year we were able to sign a new two year contract and get the same advertised price as new customers. This year those numbers have changed and we can get the same price 6 months later.

That's because last year's and this year's prices are subsidized. You must pay to play- like any other phone now!

HELLO??
  • Reply 251 of 429
    (I posted this on Apple's Discussion Boards)

I understand all this talk about the 3GS costing more if you're in the middle of your subsidized plan, but based on my situation I question this:

I bought the 3G iPhone shortly after it was released. Then I decided to get a FamilyTalk plan and give my partner my original (non-subsidized) iPhone. Yesterday I rushed to the online Apple Store to buy (2) 32GB 3GS and was given prices of $699 for mine and $499 for my partner. $499 to upgrade an original iPhone! I called AT&T this morning - they couldn't explain this - they said that's just the way it is.

This really is a bad situation and I also hold Apple accountable. They knew that loyal customers would be frustrated that the iPhone upgrade cycle would be totally out of sync with service plan commitments. This unique phone should have a more unique service plan - one that is customer friendly and doesn't take all the fun out of otherwise exciting new product announcements. That was probably Apple's original idea with the full-price 1G iPhone, but when they switched to subsidized plans they should have negotiated something like 1-yr commitments, or prorated upgrades (well, maybe that's what they call the $499 32GB price?)
  • Reply 252 of 429
    rutigerrutiger Posts: 4member
    i bought two 3g phones the first day they were out. when i logged in to both the apple site and my att acct they both state i'm eligible for upgrading.

i was just able to order a 32gb 3gs on att's site for $299 + $18 with free shipping! hope it shows up asap

• Reply 253 of 429
    moofrankmoofrank Posts: 15member
    AT&T clearly doesn't quite have their act together here yet.

The AT&T website doesn't show the discounted prices for 3G phones. Talking to a customer rep tells me that this should be up on Friday.

It also tells me: (both of these things).

You are not eligible to upgrade at a discounted price due to your length of service. However, you may still purchase a phone/device at the full price.

You are eligible for an early upgrade to an iPhone at a reduced discount.
  • Reply 254 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

While I understand your pain , you still are not getting that AT&T is not the company making the iPhone. They are not obligated to give you a break. Perhaps Apple is but not AT&T. AT&T has continually provided bad service and connectivity- why would you now expect them to give you a price break under 2 years? Apple knew this was going to happen. They should have either waited to release new iPhone or eaten the costs themselves for a new one- not AT&T.

I agree that AT&T service is continually a problem. I was laughingly waiting to hear something in the release announcement that the iPhone 3gs would work better as an actual phone. Admittedly, the 3G often drops calls and has less than stellar sound when it does actually connect. My 2G had much better sound quality and fewer dropped calls. I have never seen a definitive answer if it is the phone, AT&T's 3G service or the combination of the 2.

That being said, I still love my 3G iphone with all of it's infinite possibilities and wanted to do the same thing I did last year and be amoung the first to own the new offering.

I understand many other phones are subsidized; however, surely you will agree with me in recognizing the fact that this is a subsidized phone is played down and in fact rarely mentioned until time of purchase. If you walk into any cell phone store you see two clearly marked prices on most phones. They clearly show a full purchase price and the subsidized contract price.

Perhaps if they hadn't continually released information showing one price structure for the iPhone, this feeling of ill will and feeling like the loyal customers are all of all of sudden being penalized would have been softened.

This change in upgrade policy is not just on AT&T. After a series of phone calls to both companies this morning that included a lot of finger pointing, I finally had an upper tier supervisor with Apple (what ever that means) tell me that it is part of a mutual agreement made between AT&T and Apple.

I am not asking for something for free. I don't have a problem signing the new 2 year contract, but I was really taken aback yesterday when I found out I had to pay so much more that the advertised price.

I have to wonder who they think are the people that are the first in line each year? I wonder what would happen if all the 3G owners actually really waited out the 18months before buying one. Would there be the frenzy of new purchases they heartily enjoyed the last two years on the release date?
  • Reply 255 of 429
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    What this amounts to is the fact that you want the new phone but you don't want to pay for it.

Without subsidies and without contracts the full retail price of the iPhone 3G S is $599 for the 16GB and $699 for the 32GB. This is the true price of the phone.

AT&T is willing to subsidize $200 to give current iPhone users a new contract. That really isn't a bad deal.

The $199/$299 price point is really to intended attract new iPhone users, its not really intended for current iPhone users.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by abernathy View Post

This really is a bad situation and I also hold Apple accountable. They knew that loyal customers would be frustrated that the iPhone upgrade cycle would be totally out of sync with service plan commitments. This unique phone should have a more unique service plan - one that is customer friendly and doesn't take all the fun out of otherwise exciting new product announcements. That was probably Apple's original idea with the full-price 1G iPhone, but when they switched to subsidized plans they should have negotiated something like 1-yr commitments, or prorated upgrades (well, maybe that's what they call the $499 32GB price?)

• Reply 256 of 429
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:

I purchased the 1st Gen. iPhone on day 1 for $600. One year later I purchased the 2nd Gen.

3G iPhone on day 1 for $300 & they reset my plan to two years. I don't understand why they would

gouge me this time? Some say paying your bills late would be a factor but I pay my cell, home, &

DSL automatically with my credit card so I have never been late on my AT&T bill.
  • Reply 257 of 429
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Expecting to get a new phone as if you don't still have a year left on the contract is a bit much. They never did promise that you would get the lowest price every year.

Just maybe, if enough people get huffy, I think a $100 upgrade fee above a new customer / completed contract fee might be a realistic expectation. As teck said, the first iPhone wasn't priced as a subsidized phone so laying the same expectation this time around is excessive. First Gen iPhone buyers paid $200 more for theirs than the 2nd gen buyers did.
  • Reply 258 of 429
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Gizmodo does not feel your pain.

"So you bought your heavily subsidised iPhone 3G with a two-year contract and now you are upset because AT&T wants to charge you full price for the new iPhone 3GS, right? Well, stop whining. You have no arguments.

The fact is that the $199/$299 price tag for the iPhone is the result of AT&T's—or any other carrier, since the situation is the same all around the world—subsidy. Without subsidy—and tying you to a new two year contract—the iPhone is not different from something like the Nokia N97, which is $700 unlocked. Or the contract-free, unsubsidized iPhone 3G itself: The iPhone 3G costs $770 and $877 unlocked for the 8 and 16GB versions."

Whiners of the World: Shut Up About the iPhone 3GS' Upgrade Price
  • Reply 259 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rutiger View Post

i bought two 3g phones the first day they were out. when i logged in to both the apple site and my att acct they both state i'm eligible for upgrading.

i was just able to order a 32gb 3gs on att's site for $299 + $18 with free shipping! hope it shows up asap

Wow, wish I knew what was different. I bought my 3G the day after it came out last year and I just tried to order like you did, but was given the polite following message:

As a valued AT&T customer, AT&T can offer you an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. You may qualify for a standard iPhone upgrade on 12/13/2009.

$299.00* — 8GB iPhone 3G (black)

$399.00* — 16GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)

$499.00* — 32GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)
  • Reply 260 of 429
    Quote:

I agree that AT&T service is continually a problem. I was laughingly waiting to hear something in the release announcement that the iPhone 3gs would work better as an actual phone. Admittedly, the 3G often drops calls and has less than stellar sound when it does actually connect. My 2G had much better sound quality and fewer dropped calls. I have never seen a definitive answer if it is the phone, AT&T's 3G service or the combination of the 2.

That being said, I still love my 3G iphone with all of it's infinite possibilities and wanted to do the same thing I did last year and be amoung the first to own the new offering.

I understand many other phones are subsidized; however, surely you will agree with me in recognizing the fact that this is a subsidized phone is played down and in fact rarely mentioned until time of purchase. If you walk into any cell phone store you see two clearly marked prices on most phones. They clearly show a full purchase price and the subsidized contract price.

Perhaps if they hadn't continually released information showing one price structure for the iPhone, this feeling of ill will and feeling like the loyal customers are all of all of sudden being penalized would have been softened.

This change in upgrade policy is not just on AT&T. After a series of phone calls to both companies this morning that included a lot of finger pointing, I finally had an upper tier supervisor with Apple (what ever that means) tell me that it is part of a mutual agreement made between AT&T and Apple.

I am not asking for something for free. I don't have a problem signing the new 2 year contract, but I was really taken aback yesterday when I found out I had to pay so much more that the advertised price.

I have to wonder who they think are the people that are the first in line each year? I wonder what would happen if all the 3G owners actually really waited out the 18months before buying one. Would there be the frenzy of new purchases they heartily enjoyed the last two years on the release date?

I totally agree with you. Why all the secrets on the subsidized priceing? Same thing with the FALSE advertising- "Half the Price". IT WAS SUBSIDIZED!

Having said that, the sales figures this quarter will be very strange as people have to actually wait AND WAIT.