iPhone 3G users to pay $200 premium for early upgrade to iPhone 3G S

Comments

• Reply 181 of 429
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    The length of this thread speaks volumes...
  • Reply 182 of 429
    codybjcodybj Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

I got mine replaced under warranty a couple months back as well, and it didn't result in a new two-year contract. Did you confirm this with AT&T?

I will call them tomorrow, but I wont have the money by July anyway though I surely will before March!
  • Reply 183 of 429
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I see you?ve worked for the same corporations I have.

Ditto!
  • Reply 184 of 429
    I just called AT&T (611) and they said I will have to wait til July 12th to get my new iPhone 3GS at reg 199/299 price. It also said that on the site.

I waited in line overnight for the 3G and was a new customer on July 11th 2008, so I am ONLY about a year into my contract. Never missed a payment or had my iphone replaced.

EVERYONE CALL AT&T and ask a real person... you may just have to wait til July 12th!

The "https://buyiphone.apple.com"; site says:

As a valued AT&T customer, AT&T can offer you an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. You may qualify for a standard iPhone upgrade on 07/12/2009.

Standard iPhone Upgrade? --- this means I can pay the extra 200 to get it on launch day, or wait til July 12, 2009 and get it for 299.

I will just wait!!!

I AM HAPPY... save 200 bucks and only 1 month behind!
  • Reply 185 of 429
    As a 3g owner I just have a few questions for thought

1. How much does anyone think a great condition used 16gb 3G would sell for, and does that curve anyones thoughts on getting the new 3G-S?

2. Because apple is still making original 3G's wouldnt it be smart to offer discounts or something for trade-ins towards the new iPhones and in return apple takes the parts for future phones or refurbished ones?

3. I'm just a little confused about the new iPhone and video mms-ing. Because the new iPhone goes on sale next week but mms including video mms won't be capable until "later this summer" shouldn't apple give discounts to iPhone 3G-S buyers until mms is capable or are they to just aimlessly wait until it's services are randomly capable?

Let me know what you think and please don't bash me, just offering my thoughts.
  • Reply 186 of 429
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

your condescending tone isn't necessary.

I think perhaps you are being way too sensitive for an Apple rumor forum, but to each their own.

On the other hand, if you can find me a good condescending ring tone, I would love to be able to use it on my iPhone 3G S.
  • Reply 187 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkZephix View Post

I just called AT&T (611) and they said I will have to wait til July 12th to get my new iPhone 3GS at reg 199/299 price. It also said that on the site.

I waited in line overnight for the 3G and was a new customer on July 11th 2008, so I am ONLY about a year into my contract. Never missed a payment or had my iphone replaced.

EVERYONE CALL AT&T and ask a real person... you may just have to wait til July 12th!

As a valued AT&T customer, AT&T can offer you an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. You may qualify for a standard iPhone upgrade on 07/12/2009.

Standard iPhone Upgrade? --- this means I can pay the extra 200 to get it on launch day, or wait til July 12, 2009 and get it for 299.

I will just wait!!!

Can I ask how much your monthly plan is? People are getting different answers to when they can update without fees and I think that is a major factor.
  • Reply 188 of 429
    jdrewjdrew Posts: 3member
    Quote:

I will just wait!!!

That's the same thing my ATT screen shows and Apples schreen shows. When i called ATT, they had no clue what I was talking about....
  • Reply 189 of 429
    kyandyokyandyo Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I talked to an AT&T Manager in Sacramento right after the Keynote and he says the upgrade policy hasn't been decided yet and that last year everyone was able to upgrade with a new contract for the same price as all new customers. So I am not convinced this $200 premium will be in effect by next Friday. If it is I'm with you on early cancelation and new contract. Why spend another $25 above the early cancellation $175 penalty? That's why I don't think they will keep the $200 higher charge to upgrade rather than deal with a bunch of canceled agreements. \No. Last year existing iPhone customers were able to upgrade to the iPhone 3G for the same price as new customers - no early adopter penalty. The $200 penalty for existing contract holders is INSANE and UNFAIR.

Also, AT&T has a pro-rated early termination fee, meaning that each month you're in your cell phone contract, $5 is taken off the $175 ETF, essentially bringing down the cost to cancel to $120 (assuming you bought the iPhone 3G in July, when it came out last year.)

$120<$200? Yeah, I'd rather cancel and get another plan.
  • Reply 190 of 429
    packy17packy17 Posts: 8member
    Quote:

I will just wait!!!

Crap. That means I may actually have to wait until 12/12/09... even though I bought my phone on the same day as you, and my bill has been over $100 dollars every month with no late or missed payments. FML
  • Reply 191 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by packy17 View Post

Crap. That means I may actually have to wait until 12/12/09... even though I bought my phone on the same day as you, and my bill has been over $100 dollars every month with no late or missed payments. FML

Ya... my brother in NC is in the same shoes. He got it the same day and has that same date. I wonder why that is.

I got on a family plan with my wife, we both bought 3g's, then she downgraded to a 2g... i wonder if that has something to do with it.
  • Reply 192 of 429
    Has anyone compared iPhone contracts in Europe to those offered in the US by AT&T? The 3GS hasn't been announced yet, but Orange in France offers the 8 GB 3G for 99 euros (which is really the psychological equivalent of $99) and the 16 GB model for 129 euros. Again, this was true BEFORE Apple announced the 3GS. Now onto the plans.

Look at the 47 euro plan (again, for the French, it's really the equivalent of $47). You get:

- 2 h of talk time to anyone

- unused minutes roll over to the following month

- unlimited talk time to 3 Orange subscribers

- unlimited data

- 10 SMS per month included

Right now, as a promotion, they're taking off an additional 3 euros per month! And you can pay 10% more per month in exchange for only a 12-month commitment.

And before anyone balks at the relatively short monthly talk time allowance, bear in mind that in Europe, received calls don't count toward your talk time, nor does voicemail checking.

Does anyone else think we're getting screwed in the US?
  • Reply 193 of 429
    I believe... if you go threw the site:

https://buyiphone.apple.com

..imput your info... and it says 07.12.09 ...you can get the iPhone 3GS at new customer prices then.
  • Reply 194 of 429
    kyandyokyandyo Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

Then how do you explain the others who also bought their iPhones on July 12 and are eligible for discounted pricing on July 12? They've posted pictures from Apple's upgrade site that prove it. What's more, December 12, 2009 is 17 months from July 12, 2009, so even that isn't 18 months.

If you're on a family plan, and you aren't the main line on the plan, then your upgrade date is pushed back because at&t isn't making as much money from your line as it is from the main line on the plan; I spoke to an at&t rep today about it.
  • Reply 195 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by packy17 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdrew View Post

That's the same thing my ATT screen shows and Apples schreen shows. When i called ATT, they had no clue what I was talking about....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by telemaque View Post

Has anyone compared iPhone contracts in Europe to those offered in the US by AT&T? The 3GS hasn't been announced yet, but Orange in France offers the 8 GB 3G for 99 euros (which is really the psychological equivalent of $99) and the 16 GB model for $129. Again, this was true BEFORE Apple announced the 3GS. Now onto the plans.

Look at the 47 euro plan (again, for the French, it's really the equivalent of $47). You get:

- 2 h of talk time to anyone

- unused minutes roll over to the following month

- unlimited talk time to 3 Orange subscribers

- unlimited data

- 10 SMS per month included

Right now, as a promotion, they're taking off an additional 3 euros per month! And you can pay 10% more per month in exchange for only a 12-month commitment.

And before anyone balks at the relatively short monthly talk time allowance, bear in mind that in Europe, received calls don't count toward your talk time, nor does voicemail checking.

Does anyone else think we're getting screwed in the US?

10 SMS? That is like one conversation. Haha
  • Reply 196 of 429
    jdrewjdrew Posts: 3member
    Just got off the phone with ATT. The guy I just spoke to was very informative and gave great news for those of us who were early adapters with on-time payments and such.

On July 11, 2009, I WILL be able to upgrade to the new 3GS for the same subsidized price that a new customer will pay.. ie: 199,299 (16gb,32Gb, respectively).

HOWEVER, my 2nd 3g phone on my account, wont be able to upgrade until March 2010.

I asked him to doube check and make sure his information is correct and he told me that he was just handed the info and read it pretty much word for word.

For those of you with different dates, I asked him why that would be so, since some were purchased on the same day and he said it is determined by several factors, a couple being, payment history, legnth of service.

Good news for me I guess.

My original; post.OK... here's what I got when I tried to find out my upgrade date. I purchased the 2 iPhone 3G's on launch day. I'm trying to figure out what price I will pay when I upgrade in July..???? I'm guessing the Apple site prices? What's confusing, 1 site says standard upgrade and the other says early upgrade...

From Apple's website: (These prices indicate if I was to order before my July 11th date. NOT what the price will be after July 11th.)

From AT&T website:

I Hope this helps some of the confusion around here...
  • Reply 197 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KYANDYO View Post

If you're on a family plan, and you aren't the main line on the plan, then your upgrade date is pushed back because at&t isn't making as much money from your line as it is from the main line on the plan; I spoke to an at&t rep today about it.

My account comes up with an upgrade of 12/12/09, and I'm on my own plan, by myself. No one else. Zero. How do you explain that?
  • Reply 198 of 429
    @jdrew

That is weird... my wife's 2g is upgradable right now... and my 3g is upgradable on 7.12.09 ...weird. March 2010... wtf?

Haha.
  • Reply 199 of 429
    Here is my situation: we were both new customers to AT&T when the iPhone 3g came out....

My iPhone 3g (i bought on launch):

My wife's iPhone 2g (she bought the 3g on launch... but bought a 2g on ebay (and sold her 3g on ebay) to save on the data plan):

...weird huh.... my wife can upgrade now for reg 299.99 price... and I have to wait til July 12th to get the 299.99 price.
  • Reply 200 of 429
    Quote:

Here is my situation:

My iPhone 3g (i bought on launch):

My wife's iPhone 2g (she bought the 3g on launch but bought a 2g to save on the data plan):

explain?