iPhone 3G users to pay $200 premium for early upgrade to iPhone 3G S

Comments

• Reply 221 of 429
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    It just dawned on me that the upgrade pricing eligibility date may not be entirely dependent on the monetary value of that particular customer.

I wouldn't be surprised if network saturation/7.2Mbps rollout were factors as well.

Maybe even market saturation.

I'd be willing to bet your zip code has much to do with your upgrade eligibility date.
  • Reply 222 of 429
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

No, no one bothers to listen to you because you are annoying and bitch about everything. Sorry...

And as I told you before, I live in manhattan and I get no Verizon signal in my apartment. Speaking of Verizon, I called them to find out about switching my 3-in-1 RCN service which sucks to Fios. There I was, a fresh new potential customer for the taking, and what did they do? Put me on hold for 15 minutes, at which point I hung up. I figured if that's what they do to people interested in signing up, what kind of service could I expect once I was a customer?! Of course I already knew the answer because I used to be a Verizon wireless customer and they sucked.

So suck up and fork it out to AT&T then. Everybody on here is bitching about AT&T and yet you defend them still- what a loser. The signal in NYC sucks. It has been written up all over in NYTimes, AMNY, Post, WSJ etc, etc. I didn't invent this up yet you keep inventing excuses. Now AT&*T is screwing iPhone owners with these costs- what's your excuse for that.? "They are matching Verizon?" HA!

BTW- I may have to switch to Fios because TWCable dropped my 2 favorite channels- HDNET and HDNET Movies. Guess who has them- FIOS!

Peace out.
  • Reply 223 of 429
    davesmalldavesmall Posts: 118member
    AT&T and Apple should both realize that the most likely and eager customer for a new iPhone would be existing iPhone owners who want to upgrade. Apple has establish a one year development cycle for upgrading the device. AT&T should get their act together and be in sync with Apple's cycle. I know I would wait another six months rather than fork over that extra $200. During this six months Palm (and others) will have the opportunity to try and lure me away from Apple and AT&T. I think AT&T should be able to give up that six months in return for getting me to sign a brand new commitment. In addition, AT&T should want customers to be getting the most possible use and enjoyment from their iPhones (happy customers). They should be helping and enabling customers rather than stymying and frustrating them. It's not only the upgrade policy that has me irritated, it's also the laptop tethering policy.
  • Reply 224 of 429
    Seems like it shouldn't be this complicated... I understand about ATT needing to recoup money from subsidies (though I would argue that how much & how long that takes is as much subject to speculation here as the upgrade policy), this being (more or less) standard practice in the industry, etc. It's the inconsistency that gets me, because the only thing obvious is that not all customers (or accounts) are equal. I would be one of those that would buy a new iPhone every year - but this type of confusion curbs that quite a bit. Not just because it would cost more now, but because I have no idea where I'll stand at this point next year and as a result can't make an informed decision.
  • Reply 225 of 429
    aglaeaaglaea Posts: 17member
    I didn't get to read through all 223 comments... To me this is totally logical. You get the phone for less than its actual price because you pay for the difference in a 2 year (?) contract. If you want to end this contract prematurely, there is a price for breaking the contract. THat is totally fair. Considering most phone builders bring out models every year or even faster, you could guess this would happen with Apple too.

The good thing is that next year there will be the NEXT iPhone which all you 'early adopters' will be able to get and all those 3GS users will be screaming Hell and Damnation because they have to wait to pay back in terms through their subscriptions...
  • Reply 226 of 429
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

AT&T and Apple should both realize that the most likely and eager customer for a new iPhone would be existing iPhone owners who want to upgrade. Apple has establish a one year development cycle for upgrading the device. AT&T should get their act together and be in sync with Apple's cycle. I know I would wait another six months rather than fork over that extra $200. During this six months Palm (and others) will have the opportunity to try and lure me away from Apple and AT&T. I think AT&T should be able to give up that six months in return for getting me to sign a brand new commitment. In addition, AT&T should want customers to be getting the most possible use and enjoyment from their iPhones (happy customers). They should be helping and enabling customers rather than stymying and frustrating them. It's not only the upgrade policy that has me irritated, it's also the laptop tethering policy.

i've seen the Pre, Apple has nothing to worry about
  • Reply 227 of 429
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    This makes a lot of sense. 3G early adopters are NOT being shut out. They just have to wait a month after release. Big deal.

We're still getting a subsidy like every other new customer, and we only have to wait out a full year to upgrade. They didn't have to offer that either.
  • Reply 228 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

No, no one bothers to listen to you because you are annoying and bitch about everything. Sorry...

And as I told you before, I live in manhattan and I get no Verizon signal in my apartment. Speaking of Verizon, I called them to find out about switching my 3-in-1 RCN service which sucks to Fios. There I was, a fresh new potential customer for the taking, and what did they do? Put me on hold for 15 minutes, at which point I hung up. I figured if that's what they do to people interested in signing up, what kind of service could I expect once I was a customer?! Of course I already knew the answer because I used to be a Verizon wireless customer and they sucked.

That's is definitely the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You must be QUITE the individual to know in person. who do you think you are? someone special?

hilarious.
  • Reply 229 of 429
    fulldecentfulldecent Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I talked to an AT&T Manager in Sacramento right after the Keynote and he says the upgrade policy hasn't been decided yet and that last year everyone was able to upgrade with a new contract for the same price as all new customers. So I am not convinced this $200 premium will be in effect by next Friday. If it is I'm with you on early cancelation and new contract. Why spend another $25 above the early cancellation $175 penalty? That's why I don't think they will keep the $200 higher charge to upgrade rather than deal with a bunch of canceled agreements. \No. Last year existing iPhone customers were able to upgrade to the iPhone 3G for the same price as new customers - no early adopter penalty. The $200 penalty for existing contract holders is INSANE and UNFAIR.

That is because the 3g service plan is better for them than the 2g service plan -- more revenue and no free TXT
  • Reply 230 of 429
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    This sucks for me because I begrudgingly upgraded from 2G to 3G just last month, only because my 2G's touch screen went bad. My plan all along was to skip over the first 3G for the new one that I knew would be coming out soon.

Since I was out of warranty on my original 2G, it would have cost $199 to get a 2G refurb, or $199 + $18 and a two-year extension of my contract to get a 3G. That made getting a 3G make more sense, but I was worried I'd get screwed by the upgrade terms when the new iPhone came out.

A worry which has now been validated.
  • Reply 231 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i've seen the Pre, Apple has nothing to worry about

I agree- saw it last night. Too plasticy.

Apple only has to worry about AT&T, their ball and chain.
  • Reply 232 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This makes a lot of sense. 3G early adopters are NOT being shut out. They just have to wait a month after release. Big deal.

We're still getting a subsidy like every other new customer, and we only have to wait out a full year to upgrade. They didn't have to offer that either.

That's just it- only some early adopters only have to wait a month, but others who went 3g last July need to wait anywhere from 3 to 9 months with no seeming rhyme or reason.
  • Reply 233 of 429
    Actually, the article is incorrect. Apple and AT&T made an agreement that if you have a 3G you are not eligible for an upgrade for 18 months!!!
  • Reply 234 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

They actually have to wait 6 months over new converts. The upgrade time frame is 18 months from date of 3G purchase.
  • Reply 235 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post

What the hell?!? I bought my 3G phone at launch & when I checked online I got this message:

As a valued AT&T customer, AT&T can offer you an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. You may qualify for a standard iPhone upgrade on 03/12/2010. I happen to still have my receipt & it is dated July 11, 2008. What gives?

I found the same thing when I tried to order on line. Made it sound like all I had to do was pay the $18 and I could upgrade, but then you find out it will cost an extra $200 over the advertised price and you are still signing a new 2 year contract.

They didn't do that last year, because I have bought the new iphone each time it came out and paid the same as advertised price. The 18 month upgrade policy is new over last year, and get this, the prices are $499, $599 or $699 depending on how long until your 18 months.

Who do they think were the ones waiting in line for the big release? New converts. Gee, the iphone has been on the market for 2 years and suddenly I'm going to wait in line to buy one --- NO, it's going to be the loyal fans!
  • Reply 236 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

I am so unhappy right now it is unbelievable. How dare they treat me like this?

I went into the BMW dealership today to trade in my 18 month old 3 series couple for a new X3 and they are seriously expecting me to pay more. WTF? Some clever arse salesman telling me that I have 18 months left on my BMW finance and must pay for my existing car before I can just drive out with a new one.

I hate BMW, do they not realise I am a loyal customer? It should not always be about profit, surely it is more important that they look after their real customers. I have posters of BMW cars on my wall and everything.

They can stick it, They are not getting my business again, Mercedes don't do this, Mercedes would give me a new car whenever I want one.

Mwaarrgghhh, Mwaarrgghh, I want my mommy.

While I get your and can appreciate your analogy, it is fatally flawed in one important point.

Last year when the New BMW came out I was able to buy the new one at the advertised price with no extra premium surcharges. This year, however, when I went came in to purchase the latest model, they changed the policy and I have to wait 6 more months than someone that hasn't been a loyal customer.
  • Reply 237 of 429
    Why do iPhone owners, with a 2 year contract, think they can get the new iPhone at the cheap rate after 1 year? Just because you waited in a ridiculous line last year or whatever does not give you any free ride. Why do you think you should be treated any differently than any other cellphone purchaser anywhere with a 2 year contract?

You can't blame AT&T on this one. Maybe Apple should have waited until next year to release it instead. I wondered last year how you all got away with that deal. You've all been spoiled.
  • Reply 238 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue1516us View Post

AT&T is Awful....bad service, "Less Bars in Less Places", bad customer service, no 3G Microcell even though Verizon and Sprint already have theirs out, no MMS, no tethering, expensive plans...AT&T is bad bad bad!

i really hope Apple recognizes that it's AT&T holding it back from selling more phones and being the top dog they could be. RIM is on so many other carriers, of course they will win. Palm Pre is great and I hope they do well and give Apple and AT&T a run for it's money.

I think after today that Sprint will increase it's Pre sales tremendously and Palm will continue to work on it's WebOS.

I'm very very disappointed with today's Keynote announcement on the iPhone...I think it's very lame to not have the MMS and tethering and also have to wait another week after waiting since March for this silly software to come out. It's all mind games. I think i'm about to be done playing the game.

ahhhh. 4 year-olds bring the lulz

thanks for that
  • Reply 239 of 429
    eh270eh270 Posts: 60member
    I've come to terms with this ineligibility in the following way: I can, on Craigslist, sell my iPhone 3G for $200 easy (remember, the $99 price is only with a 2-year contract). That brings the true upgrade price closer to $200, which I think isn't THAT absurd.
  • Reply 240 of 429
    Can anyone in this thread count? Anyone?

Your contract with AT&T is TWO years. Understood? 1 + 1 = 2 years.

AT&T has decided to offer subsidized pricing to ALL iPhone customers of 1 year or more. This is not required, expected, or even necessary given the TWO year contract you signed.

AT&T may be a horrible company (they are, I assure you), but give credit where its due. All 3G owners will be eligible for subsidy halfway through their contract. Unlike Verizon, or Sprint, or any other U.S. carrier.