AT&T already sold out of launch day iPhone 3G S pre-orders

Comments

• Reply 141 of 190
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So what the hell is up with AT&T that MMS and tethering won?t be available at launch?

As others have pointed out, it is more then likely a problem with their accounting/billing systems. I think someone in another thread mentioned they were going to have to clear something on all iPhone users accounts manually, then they could offer MMS.

Even if that's true, why did they wait until now? The beta has been out for a while! Oh well...
  • Reply 142 of 190
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cytaylor View Post

Just curious if Walmart is holding to the $199 price for the new iPhone or did they manage to work out a discount price w/ Apple?

If you buy an iphone at WALMART you get unlimited free podcasts and videocasts From the itunes store. For free.
  • Reply 143 of 190
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I remember that at least one person here has stated that AT&T will charge more for MMS even if those wanting to use it already have text messaging plans.

Apparently this is not so according to MacRumors.

The following page includes a quote from a PDF FAQ that AT&T has posted which says it will be free to them (us!). The article includes a link to the PDF.

http://www.macrumors.com/
  • Reply 144 of 190
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

As others have pointed out, it is more then likely a problem with their accounting/billing systems. I think someone in another thread mentioned they were going to have to clear something on all iPhone users accounts manually, then they could offer MMS.

Even if that's true, why did they wait until now? The beta has been out for a while! Oh well...

And what kind of database system does this technology company with 80 million customers run anyway that ANYTHING would need to be done manually? I don't buy it.
  • Reply 145 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I believe that most, if not all, companies supported these services right from the beginning.

As we know, Jobs demanded that service providers lower their data plans in order to get exclusivity. As such, we saw a significantly lowered price for the "unlimited" data from AT&T at the launch of the iPhone in the US.

Obviously, AT&T's first report that the average iPhone user consumed approximately 100 MBs per month in the first year of launch help other countries determine the pricing structure for their data plans. Thus, as we have seen, most limited their plans in more 'realistic' usage terms.

It would appear also, that companies that provide unlimited data plans charge separately for MMS and tethering. Whereas those that limit data, include these services.

AT&T announced that these services would be available soon. They may come tomorrow or even 6 months from now. I can't or won't predict when, but I expect that, like their surprising 'lower than predicted' price plans at the launch of the first generation iPhone, that it will be less than what is being charged now. Unless?

?it just doesn't make good business sense.

What many also do not take into account, is the cost of providing "free" Wi-Fi. It isn't free. Sure for the user. However, for the payer, not. AT&T has, like other service providers, provide a directory of thousands of free Wi-Fi hotspots that are paid for by companies like some that I consult for. These companies do not have unlimited data plans, just like I don't have at home now with my internet services. As such, nobody can predict how much the new 3GS's, particularly with the increased functions of the new 3.0 software on it and the iPod touch, will have on Wi-Fi and its payers, let alone on the 3G network.

Interesting that some can denounce universal medicare and be such screamers for 'free' universal wireless.

The coming trend is for all major USA cities' to provide Free wi-fi coverage that includes at some future point the whole city and out lying area's . SAN FRAN has started, so has Philly. AT some point all these so called hot spots like Bryant park in NYC will merge into a seamless wi-fi blanket.

WHY? Is this so important ? Well, one reason may be that a large city wants all its people to have fair access to the internet. Poor and rick alike . School children will be able to, one day to access the planet on a cheap computer with free wifi and cloud services given to us for free by the googles of the world.

That is where we are going .

Your company does this for a fee or gets some tangible benefit from this free wifi you provide ? No ?

At some point in the future all that dark fiber will be lit . And 1000 to 1 compression will be a reality.

The internet infrastructure will be maintained like our highway system. Except internet and wifi access will be free to the consumer. FREE. And the whole country in the future will be wired.

Every american will have a free access ISP card for basic internet use. It is our right .

That is how we will afford our children to learn in America on an equal basis to the world

That is how USA biz will be able to better compete on a level playing field with the rest of the world.

Just like our parks and sea shore is a legal RIGHT of every american, the internet also will be like that .

This is our right.

So AT&T will have no chance to charge for wifi access or even phone calls in the future, DATA usage maybe the final thing that they can bill us.

JUST saying

• Reply 146 of 190
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Every american will have a free access ISP card for basic internet use. It is our right .

I must have missed that one in the Bill of Rights. Maybe there is something about it in the Constitution.

• Reply 147 of 190
    Quote:

The coming trend is for all major USA cities' to provide Free wi-fi coverage that includes at some future point the whole city and out lying area's . SAN FRAN has started, so has Philly. AT some point all these so called hot spots like Bryant park in NYC will merge into a seamless wi-fi blanket.

WHY? Is this so important ? Well, one reason may be that a large city wants all its people to have fair access to the internet. Poor and rick alike . School children will be able to, one day to access the planet on a cheap computer with free wifi and cloud services given to us for free by the googles of the world.

That is where we are going .

Your company does this for a fee or gets some tangible benefit from this free wifi you provide ? No ?

At some point in the future all that dark fiber will be lit . And 1000 to 1 compression will be a reality.

The internet infrastructure will be maintained like our highway system. Except internet and wifi access will be free to the consumer. FREE. And the whole country in the future will be wired.

That is how we will afford our children to learn in America on an equal basis to the world

That is how USA biz will be able to better compete on a level playing field with the rest of the world.

Just like our parks and sea shore is a legal RIGHT of every american, the internet also will be like that .

This is our right.

So AT&T will have no chance to charge for wifi access or even phone calls in the future, DATA usage maybe the final thing that they can bill us.

JUST saying

While I can agree with some of the specifics, and some of the concepts, it's really too broad and ambitious.

A number of cities, both large and small have tried citywide WiFi, only to have it fail. The expenses are very high, and the payback is too small.

Technology will pass it by. As 3G is supplanted by 4G and that is replaced by even faster technologies, the place for WiFi will disappear.

This will take place in the same time span it would take to implement broad area WiFi.

Except for buildings, I think it's a transient technology.

I doubt that 1000:1 compression will ever be a reality, and I doubt the need for it. The only reason for compression is for bandwidth limited networks to have the capability to pass content through in the proper timescale. As bandwidth goes up, really aggressive compression will have less of a purpose, and quality of the signal will become paramount.

We can see this with the offering of 256Kb/s compressed music files which used to be 128Kb/s. At some point, Apple, and others will offer higher quality content, eventually using their lossless compression standard for downloads.

Unless you want to pay much higher taxes, you're not getting service for free. even in heavily socialized countries, payment is required, and the difference in price is not that great. You have to pay for the hundreds of billions the networks cost to build and maintain.
  • Reply 148 of 190
    Quote:

Wait, you're saying *I'm* going to have to pay for someone else to get online?

No thank you.
  • Reply 149 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

I must have missed that one in the Bill of Rights. Maybe there is something about it in the Constitution.

The internet is free right now .The access to it that has to be worked out. Its in the oipening words that founded our great country.

• Reply 150 of 190
    Quote:

The internet is free right now .The access to it that has to be worked out. Its in the oipening words that founded our great country.

The internet isn't free. It never really was.
  • Reply 151 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

And what kind of database system does this technology company with 80 million customers run anyway that ANYTHING would need to be done manually? I don't buy it.

I don't know how many large organizations you have worked with, but the guts of them are often on very old, very creaky legacy code. Think COBAL and mainframes.

Nothing happens quickly in those environments, and they are often the last to be converted to something more modern for a number of reasons - pick any:

* the existing system works (eventually)

* cost to replace is viewed as prohibative

* system is too essential to be touched

and probably a few others I have left off.

Not saying I agree with it, or that it's the best way to run a business, but there it is. This is one area where the public and private sector are pretty consistent too, BTW (yes, I've been inside both).
  • Reply 152 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I doubt that 1000:1 compression will ever be a reality, and I doubt the need for it. The only reason for compression is for bandwidth limited networks to have the capability to pass content through in the proper timescale. As bandwidth goes up, really aggressive compression will have less of a purpose, and quality of the signal will become paramount.

If there is one truth in life, it's you can never have enough bandwidth.

I always thought someone like Riverbed would have deals with ISP's and clients for computers for users who are stuck on Cellular and Satellite technology - perhaps they do and I just missed it.

Oh, it looks like I did miss part of it:

http://www.riverbed.com/products/steelhead_mobile/

too bad you can have that as "value add" from an ISP like AT&T or Verizon...
  • Reply 153 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

If there is one truth in life, it's you can never have enough bandwidth.

I always thought someone like Riverbed would have deals with ISP's and clients for computers for users who are stuck on Cellular and Satellite technology - perhaps they do and I just missed it.

Oh, it looks like I did miss part of it:

http://www.riverbed.com/products/steelhead_mobile/

too bad you can have that as "value add" from an ISP like AT&T or Verizon...

All sorts of things are happening.

Eventually we'll have 100Mb/s cellular service (real speed for wireless 100Mb's will be about 30 Mb/s, but still...).
  • Reply 154 of 190
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

All sorts of things are happening.

Eventually we'll have 100Mb/s cellular service (real speed for wireless 100Mb's will be about 30 Mb/s, but still...).

We?ll have to beefier routers. I know someone in Finland whose internet bandwidth far exceeds what their Airport Extreme basestation can push. It?s amazing when the router is the bottleneck for a consumer internet connection.
  • Reply 155 of 190
    Quote:

It was never free. Bandwidth started out subsidized by the government, but there has always (and always will be) transport costs. ISP's will peer, but only if they consider the deal mutually beneficial.

When things go out of whack and you get a dispute, fireworks happen - just like with Sprint and Cogent last year:

http://www.infoworld.com/d/security-...c-internet-474

If the Internet were free, the above wouldn't be an issue....
  • Reply 156 of 190
    Quote:

While I can agree with some of the specifics, and some of the concepts, it's really too broad and ambitious.

A number of cities, both large and small have tried citywide WiFi, only to have it fail. The expenses are very high, and the payback is too small.

Technology will pass it by. As 3G is supplanted by 4G and that is replaced by even faster technologies, the place for WiFi will disappear.

This will take place in the same time span it would take to implement broad area WiFi.

Except for buildings, I think it's a transient technology.

We can see this with the offering of 256Kb/s compressed music files which used to be 128Kb/s. At some point, Apple, and others will offer higher quality content, eventually using their lossless compression standard for downloads.

Unless you want to pay much higher taxes, you're not getting service for free. even in heavily socialized countries, payment is required, and the difference in price is not that great. You have to pay for the hundreds of billions the networks cost to build and maintain.

I DON'T have all the facts correct I am sure. The 1000 to one compression on fiber optic has been available for 10 yrs. The inventor warned of the over laying of fiber because he claimed software he wrote can compress data packets 100 to 1. This was months before JD uni , Corel and Cisco stock prices crashed. Months LATER HE CLAIMED HE LIED, It was 1000 to 1 he stated. That is how or why we got so much dark fiber left over back then. I think .

My over all point is like our highway system . Of course it's not free free. We indirectly pay for all our roads and bridges. As you state 4g or things not even invented yet will speed up the process of wiring the whole country. Or will we even need wire's at all ?

But at some point in the future every large company involved in the internet. That wants to keep its or hold its place in the internet. Will give billtheirions of dollars to finish the wiring of America. Of course they will get something for their trouble. And local state and federal gov't will also pay for this. These large companies are allowed to exist as monopolies' including apple. That right of way given to them is not and will not be free forever. WE will nail them to the wall's if need be.

BUT it is coming . Every american will have easy and free access to the internet. How ever they work out the details. Our poorest child will learn to read in the clouds . And that video game she plays will make her a math champion at least she has a level shot.

The future is here . My friend has not paid for a phone call in years. And he makes a lot of call's .

And he's only tapped a tiny bit of the internet to do this.

Again all I am saying may end up as total bullshit and AT&T will charge us forever.

Or ten years from now companies like verizon who want to sell us everything that has content in it bundled and wrapped on a single bill/ Will be the way the telecoms will look like. And will Apple and Google and or France try to ALSO SUPPLY the content to us ?

The question why johnny can't read, will either haunt the Telecom's or it will open up trillions of dollars in future business. I guess the latter.

Its now 12 o'clock. Time for me to turn on hulu and watch ep. 7 of kings .

peace

• Reply 157 of 190
    Quote:

You are wrong.

THE beach is free. Yet cities' erect barriers to access the said beach.

YET THE BEACH IS STILL FREE. So is the internet . Access to the internet may be restricted or like china outright blocked . The charges you pay are access charges. Which, as like the phone call situation, one day be free of charge.

Mel once your on the net what do you pay ?? Tell me .

Most of the barriers to a real free internet will disappear with competion . If you still are not sure that the internet is free then I will leave you with a single word.

hulu

is

free
  • Reply 158 of 190
    Quote:

You are wrong.

THE beach is free. Yet cities' erect barriers to access the said beach.

YET THE BEACH IS STILL FREE. So is the internet . Access to the internet may be restricted or like china outright blocked . The charges you pay are access charges. Which, as like the phone call situation, one day be free of charge.

Mel once your on the net what do you pay ?? Tell me .

That's got to be the dumbest analogy I've ever heard.

Once you get into the amusement park how much do you pay for the rides? Are amusement parks therefore free?

Once you sit down in your seat in the movies how much do you pay? Does that mean movies are free?
  • Reply 159 of 190
    Quote:

hulu

is

free

1) Hulu is NOT free - it's add supported

2) Hulu might not be "free" for much longer anyway:

http://www.google.com/search?q=hulu+may+start+charging
  • Reply 160 of 190
    Quote:

I DON'T have all the facts correct I am sure. The 1000 to one compression on fiber optic has been available for 10 yrs. The inventor warned of the over laying of fiber because he claimed software he wrote can compress data packets 100 to 1. This was months before JD uni , Corel and Cisco stock prices crashed. Months LATER HE CLAIMED HE LIED, It was 1000 to 1 he stated. That is how or why we got so much dark fiber left over back then. I think .

What you're talking about is very different, and doesn't directly apply to what we're talking about.

Quote:

My over all point is like our highway system . Of course it's not free free. We indirectly pay for all our roads and bridges. As you state 4g or things not even invented yet will speed up the process of wiring the whole country. Or will we even need wire's at all ?

Nothing significant that's man made is ever really free. We pay one way or the other.

4G will require towers, just as the older services did, and still do. there is wiring to the towers. All of this is costing AT&T and Verizon over $10 billion a year each to expand. Very expensive.

The Sunday NY Times Magazine this past Sunday was devoted to infrastructure. In one article it showed cell growth from 1984 to 2006, in the US.

In '84 there were 92,000 subscribers with 346 cell sites. In 2006 there were 233,041,000 subscribers with 195,613 cell sites.

Who paid for all of the sites? Yes, the subscribers. There will be another 35,000 sites added in the next 12 months in addition to over the 60,000 added since 2006..

Quote:

But at some point in the future every large company involved in the internet. That wants to keep its or hold its place in the internet. Will give billtheirions of dollars to finish the wiring of America. Of course they will get something for their trouble. And local state and federal gov't will also pay for this. These large companies are allowed to exist as monopolies' including apple. That right of way given to them is not and will not be free forever. WE will nail them to the wall's if need be.

That's ridiculous.

They don't just get "right of way". They aren't railroads. Very often the "right of way" is on private property for which they pay a pretty penny. AND, often building owners and other propty owners refuse them the ability to lay cable, or build a tower where needed.

This is an aspect to coverage that must be known. How many people can't get cable because of one guy on a block in some community who won't allow access, and it must go through him? In apartment buildings, the same thing occurs.

No one is nailing anyone to the wall over this.

Quote:

BUT it is coming . Every american will have easy and free access to the internet. How ever they work out the details. Our poorest child will learn to read in the clouds . And that video game she plays will make her a math champion at least she has a level shot.

Earth calling! Hello?

Come back to the ground. It will take more than a few years for these networks to be build out enough so that their expenses are low enough for much of that to happen. There are laws being passed to give poor people cells, just as they've been given land line phones, and are allowed to get Tvs. But there are extreme cases, and it will take a while for any large implementation to occur. Remember that phone companies were allowed to charge most people more to pay for the cost of building phone service out to highly unprofitable areas. Maybe we'll see that with cell as well.

Quote:

The future is here . My friend has not paid for a phone call in years. And he makes a lot of call's .

And he's only tapped a tiny bit of the internet to do this.

Skype and other VOIP services are very limited in what they can do, and the quality of service sucks. In addition, it's tough to get 911 service with VOIP, so you lose some safety with it.

Quote:

Again all I am saying may end up as total bullshit and AT&T will charge us forever.

Likely.

Quote:

Or ten years from now companies like verizon who want to sell us everything that has content in it bundled and wrapped on a single bill/ Will be the way the telecoms will look like. And will Apple and Google and or France try to ALSO SUPPLY the content to us ?

Thats already started. Haven't you noticed? The cable companies have been selling cable service, internet service and phone service on one line, with one bill. AT&T and Verizon are doing the same.

Apple has been supplying the content for years, remember iTunes? It's up in the air about Google.

Quote:

The question why johnny can't read, will either haunt the Telecom's or it will open up trillions of dollars in future business. I guess the latter.

The question about reading has nothing to do with the telecoms, and more with lazy parents.

Quote:

Its now 12 o'clock. Time for me to turn on hulu and watch ep. 7 of kings .

Oh yeah, they're talking about charging for Hulu also.

Quote:

peace

Always