AT&T already sold out of launch day iPhone 3G S pre-orders

Comments

• Reply 81 of 190
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    AT&T is doing a great job, selling iPhones like crazy and rolling out new services like MMS and tethering. oh, wait.
  • Reply 82 of 190
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

AT&T is doing a great job, selling iPhones like crazy and rolling out new services like MMS and tethering. oh, wait.

Any idea what is up with AT&T?

Fact: Apple has MMS and tethering in v3.0, and it?s available with almost all their carriers next week.

Fact: I?ve tested MMS on AT&T?s network and have been using tethering since the v3.0 Beta 1.

Fact: AT&T has had tethering and MMS on their network for years and those phones outnumber the iPhone (probably 10 to 1).

So what the hell is up with AT&T that MMS and tethering won?t be available at launch? For MMS there is a tentative date set for the end of summer. What could they possibly have to do to their network? Is there a super-MMS that is being deployed that required a beefed up server farm and/or network? Tethering seems a little to figure out. AT&T may not have a system in place to know if your iPhone is being tethered or not. Twice over 3 months my iPhone stopped tethering with a message stating that I have to sign up for this from AT&T. I simply turned the feature and then on to get it working again.
  • Reply 83 of 190
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

That's why I like being with a group of friends, there is usually somebody who knows exactly how your thinking/feeling and why, they inject just the right response to get you happy again. You return the favor naturally.

Man is a herd animal, prolong separation from the group is frustrating to him. Computers tend to isolate people unfortunately.

Online communication has it's informational rewards, but it's incomplete. People can't rely upon it as their only source of much needed daily human communication.

A blend of real and online experiences is best.

ok enough already...sounding lame here...

Those of us who have gotten to know each other over time act more like we would offline. We agree, we disagree, we praise what others say at times, we get annoyed, we kid each other etc. but sometimes new people don't understand the byplay because they haven't seen it evolve. So sometimes they say something that may be acceptable to those who know each other and know it isn't serious, but isn't acceptable from them because it comes across as too negative, or much more serious than we would mean it. When that's accompanied by improper language, it goes over the top.. I don't want to make it seem as though there is an "old boys club' because that's not true, anyone here is a member by default.

But sometimes, someone new should step carefully and not be too aggressive at first until they understand the unwritten ground rules.

This is true for any thread on any site, though here, we tend to have a fair sized core group who post a lot, whereas on many other sites, the posters seem to be more erratic.

People who are determined to be consistently highly negative are perceived as being so on purpose, and not offering anything constructive. That isn't appreciated. This IS a Mac site after all. Some objectivity is good once in a while.

Most of us are on different sides depending on a particular product or service Apple or its partners offer, that's normal. We don't agree with everything Apple does, though we agree with much, or we wouldn't be Apple product users.

Things aren't ever as good or as bad as those who are extreme in their views make them out to be.

And that's why those viewpoints are so annoying to most of us. Especially when accompanied with vitriol.
  • Reply 84 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have a bad feeling about the launch weekend. I have seen steady bandwidth upgrades across the country this year, but I am afraid it’s not enough. Then there are still issues with cities that are already over populated. Then there is an issue with account activations...

...Can AT&T handle it within reason?

Nope, they won't. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T is making Apple *LIMIT* iPhone 3GS availability on launch in order to stave off meltdown of the network and activation system.

Even though I believe a large percentage of the "low hanging fruit" e.g. Apple fans, tech geeks, et al have gotten on the iPhone bandwagon (both existing AT&T customers and switchers) --- I believe there is still an enormous amount of people who are interested in an iPhone but have been holding off until they are satisfied with it's development.

With the iPhone OS now at 3.0, and the new iPhone 3GS bringing a decent autofocus camera, video recording, MMS, copy/past, voice control, and a major processor/GPU/RAM upgrade to the table, I think the time has come where the vast majority of these individuals no longer have any reason to hold off anymore, and are going to pull the trigger. I don't know if they will all be lined up on launch day, but I'd bet that Q3 sales will be enormous, and may outstrip supply for some time to come.

Then, hopefully at Christmas 2009 (we can dream right?) or at least by 2H 2010, Apple will announce that the iPhone is now available on ALL CARRIERS, with a CDMA 3G (possibly CDMA/LTE dual-mode) variant for the 500 million users around the globe. Just imagine how many sales would come from just the United States, where last I heard, about half of all iPhones are sold. Since about 22 million have sold, I'd imagine somewhere in the ballpark of 9-10 million have been sold in the US so far.

(AT&T has ~75 million subscribers)
    • Verizon Wireless = 86 million

• Sprint = 49 million

• T-mobile USA = 38 million

Total = 173 million potential iPhone users in the USA not on AT&T.

The United States is clearly an enormous market --- if not the largest --- considering both the total number of cellphone subscribers, the average disposable income of those users, and the very positive public perception of the iPhone which results in far higher sales rates (adjusted for population) versus other countries. Apple does not have strict 1-carrier iPhone exclusivity in many countries in europe, and it's about damn time that that becomes a reality in the United States so many of use are not forced to choose between an iPhone and good coverage.
  • Reply 85 of 190
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Fact: Apple has MMS and tethering in v3.0, and it?s available with almost all their carriers next week.

Fact: I?ve tested MMS on AT&T?s network and have been using tethering since the v3.0 Beta 1.

Fact: AT&T has had tethering and MMS on their network for years and those phones outnumber the iPhone (probably 10 to 1)..

The really weird thing about the tethering issue is that of all phones out there, the iPhone is likely to have the highest ratio of data usage on the phone vs data usage while tethered. The likelihood of the user actually taking advantage of tethering on the candybar is far higher than it is on the iPhone.
  • Reply 86 of 190
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You can always walk into a Sprint store for the Pre. The lines were sparse on it's opening. I'm sure they'll be three or four bored sales personnel ready to do something.

Maybe they can do a joint promotion with M$ ... "Free Zune with Pre or Vice versa ... your choice!"
  • Reply 87 of 190
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Fact: Apple has MMS and tethering in v3.0, and it’s available with almost all their carriers next week.

Fact: I’ve tested MMS on AT&T’s network and have been using tethering since the v3.0 Beta 1.

Fact: AT&T has had tethering and MMS on their network for years and those phones outnumber the iPhone (probably 10 to 1).

So what the hell is up with AT&T that MMS and tethering won’t be available at launch? For MMS there is a tentative date set for the end of summer. What could they possibly have to do to their network? Is there a super-MMS that is being deployed that required a beefed up server farm and/or network? Tethering seems a little to figure out. AT&T may not have a system in place to know if your iPhone is being tethered or not. Twice over 3 months my iPhone stopped tethering with a message stating that I have to sign up for this from AT&T. I simply turned the feature and then on to get it working again.

Apple during the wwdc show jabbed AT&T with a sharp stick over tethering and MMS. Every CARRIER in the world except you know who allows this.

This straw broke apple's back. And will bring Verizon on board. TheY WILL start With a verizon contract on a laptop kinda deal, And or the same for the touch. So A verizon Branded MBP13" and 64g itouch.

Just saying

• Reply 88 of 190
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Nope, they won't. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T is making Apple *LIMIT* iPhone 3GS availability on launch in order to stave off meltdown of the network and activation system.

Even though I believe a large percentage of the "low hanging fruit" e.g. Apple fans, tech geeks, et al have gotten on the iPhone bandwagon (both existing AT&T customers and switchers) --- I believe there is still an enormous amount of people who are interested in an iPhone but have been holding off until they are satisfied with it's development.

With the iPhone OS now at 3.0, and the new iPhone 3GS bringing a decent autofocus camera, video recording, MMS, copy/past, voice control, and a major processor/GPU/RAM upgrade to the table, I think the time has come where the vast majority of these individuals no longer have any reason to hold off anymore, and are going to pull the trigger. I don't know if they will all be lined up on launch day, but I'd bet that Q3 sales will be enormous, and may outstrip supply for some time to come.

Then, hopefully at Christmas 2009 (we can dream right?) or at least by 2H 2010, Apple will announce that the iPhone is now available on ALL CARRIERS, with a CDMA 3G (possibly CDMA/LTE dual-mode) variant for the 500 million users around the globe. Just imagine how many sales would come from just the United States, where last I heard, about half of all iPhones are sold. Since about 22 million have sold, I'd imagine somewhere in the ballpark of 9-10 million have been sold in the US so far.

• Sprint = 49 million

The United States is clearly an enormous market --- if not the largest --- considering both the total number of cellphone subscribers, the average disposable income of those users, and the very positive public perception of the iPhone which results in far higher sales rates (adjusted for population) versus other countries. Apple does not have strict 1-carrier iPhone exclusivity in many countries in europe, and it's about damn time that that becomes a reality in the United States so many of use are not forced to choose between an iPhone and good coverage.

CHINA dwarfs all of those numbers and Apple will be in there long before this fantasy of announcing iPhone available, as is, on all US Carriers.
  • Reply 89 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

• Sprint = 49 million

This is clearly an enormous market --- if not the largest --- considering both the total number of cellphone subscribers, the average disposable income of those users, and the very positive public perception of the iPhone which results in far higher sales rates (adjusted for population) versus other countries.

The first part i agree with, but the CDMA iPhone, I don?t. Most countries the iPhone is in are GSM-based. No sign of CDMA, at all, yet almost all of them are only on one carrier in that country. It seems clear that the carrier control is very important to Apple?s longterm goals. Unless the UK is selling iPhones on O2 -and- Vodaphone -and- T-Mobile -and- Orange tben I don?t see how it?s purely the AT&T deal holding back a CDMA iPhone from emerging in the US and/or an iPhone being sold to all carriers. To sell on these other networks would mean Apple would have to change nothing in their HW. Same radios, same technology, same R&D, same manufacturing. Note, there are two other non-MVNO carriers in the UK, but the ones I picked were ones that Apple also partners with in other countries, but doesn?t partner with in the UK.

For a similar reason that Apple doesn?t want to license OS X despite the increased marketshare they probably don?t want to lose the carrier connection. It?s about control for Apple, even if it means losing unit sales in the short term. I don?t think Apple could have made the inroads it has into this market if it simply followed everyone else?s play. Apple is Mola Ram from Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom, they need to pull their partner?s heart out through their chest, but to do that they need to make them their slave first, which requires them to get close. ?KALI MAAAAAAA!!!"
  • Reply 90 of 190
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Those of us who have gotten to know each other over time act more like we would offline. We agree, we disagree, we praise what others say at times, we get annoyed, we kid each other etc. but sometimes new people don't understand the byplay because they haven't seen it evolve. So sometimes they say something that may be acceptable to those who know each other and know it isn't serious, but isn't acceptable from them because it comes across as too negative, or much more serious than we would mean it. When that's accompanied by improper language, it goes over the top.. I don't want to make it seem as though there is an "old boys club' because that's not true, anyone here is a member by default.

But sometimes, someone new should step carefully and not be too aggressive at first until they understand the unwritten ground rules.

This is true for any thread on any site, though here, we tend to have a fair sized core group who post a lot, whereas on many other sites, the posters seem to be more erratic.

People who are determined to be consistently highly negative are perceived as being so on purpose, and not offering anything constructive. That isn't appreciated. This IS a Mac site after all. Some objectivity is good once in a while.

Most of us are on different sides depending on a particular product or service Apple or its partners offer, that's normal. We don't agree with everything Apple does, though we agree with much, or we wouldn't be Apple product users.

Things aren't ever as good or as bad as those who are extreme in their views make them out to be.

And that's why those viewpoints are so annoying to most of us. Especially when accompanied with vitriol.

If I may add a word here , When I first came here my spelling and such was terrible. A couple or 4 or 5 old time members took me under there wing and made me understand why it is so important to properly write when posting online.

While i am not perfect, my spell check rarely finds a mistake now. So I must say we have some great and funny and witty members here. And some members are very smart.

BUT where I come from when there is a known troll, we ban his ass, and if he persists we contact his ISP and get there online abuse control to monitor said troll.

We did this 5 times at the PINK FLOYD EMI SITE. And 5 times said memebers were banned and local authorities contacted.

Anyway concerning Seahawkfan 2, Is he a troll ?? Because every one here feeds him. We already know he will bash apple on his next post. When I see a top mod talking to him I infer from that that sea hawk is a minor nuisance .

Just saying

Great site thanks for having me .
  • Reply 91 of 190
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

So what the hell is up with AT&T that MMS and tethering won?t be available at launch? For MMS there is a tentative date set for the end of summer. What could they possibly have to do to their network? Is there a super-MMS that is being deployed that required a beefed up server farm and/or network? Tethering seems a little to figure out. AT&T may not have a system in place to know if your iPhone is being tethered or not. Twice over 3 months my iPhone stopped tethering with a message stating that I have to sign up for this from AT&T. I simply turned the feature and then on to get it working again.

A company the size of AT&T probably has so much legacy systems that need to be changed that it takes a while to test these changes and then make them
  • Reply 92 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Apple during the wwdc show jabbed AT&T with a sharp stick over tethering and MMS. Every CARRIER in the world except you know who allows this.

This straw broke apple's back. And will bring Verizon on board. TheY WILL start With a verizon contract on a laptop kinda deal, And or the same for the touch. So A verizon Branded MBP13" and 64g itouch.

Just saying

I don?t recall Apple jabbing AT&T at all. They mentioned that carriers will offer MMS next week and that AT&T will offer it later in the summer, people laughed as it?s funny but it wasn?t a jab. Then later they mentioned tethering and had a about 22 carriers on the board, people laughed when they noticed AT&T was not among them. Scott Forestall made no further mention of the situation.

As for being every carrier, the number of carriers from the first slide for MMS was less than the second one for tethering so AT&T isn?t alone here.

Your second paragraph I don?t follow. In what regard will they bring Verizon on board? subsidized notebooks with built-in 3G cards? While that sounds ideal I have a hard time thinking that Verizon will have bent so much to Apple?s demands, that Apple would make a CDMA-based-only notebook without it being GSM-based, and would want to make their lineup wonky by offering their iPhone on AT&T but have their customers also sign up for Verizon for their subsidized notebook. Overall, it?s not a big deal, but it?s certainly un-Apple-like.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

CHINA dwarfs all of those numbers and Apple will be in there long before this fantasy of announcing iPhone available, as is, on all US Carriers.

And yet despite the huge potential market Apple is apparently butting heads with their massive carriers trying to work a deal in which Apple can retain control of key aspects instead of just selling the device to them how they wish.
  • Reply 93 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

A company the size of AT&T probably has so much legacy systems that need to be changed that it takes a while to test these changes and then make them

That seems most likely to me as nothing else makes any sense.

Does anyone know what the MMS spec or AT&T?s limits are for different MMS file types and sizes?
  • Reply 94 of 190
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Those of us who...

Many people are unhappy and they don't know why, some good face to face would help them and as a Global Mod, you have to read all these posts too...

Dr. Booze says you to take a vacation! Vegas Baby! Adult playground. Get drunk as a skunk! Whooohooo! Come back refreshed!

Many very busy restaurant owners I know make it a point to take a mini-vacation once a month, because they have to deal with so many people/personalities/problems etc.

It's like your a unpaid psychotherapist or something!

In the meanwhile, a little saying I came across...

Everything effects you, which you have the power to revoke at any moment.

I'll revoke myself now... *ipoof*
  • Reply 95 of 190
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

This makes a good point and it's why, if I'm going to get really crabby and reactionary, it's likely going to be in response to a new poster who leads off with "Wow, what a bunch of fanboys you guys are really lame", etc.

It has nothing to do with defending the honor of Apple or some nonsense, it's simple manners. If you were hanging out with a loose circle of friends at the neighborhood pub, and someone you'd never seen before came in and sat down at your table and the first thing they said was "Wow, you guys are totally posers I couldn't help but overhear your conversation and let me tell you, you sound like a bunch of idiots", that person would not be warmly welcomed.

Apparently on the internet the proper response is "you make an interesting point, indeed some of our crowd are useless twits, but stick around, I think you'll find that at least some of us are worthy of your attention". Not really feeling that, unless we just agree that being a Mac user is sort of shameful and we have to adopt an attitude of obsequious deference to our betters, or some fucked up notion such as that.

The trouble is, when enough people start coming and going, and enough of those are expending a lot of energy loudly decrying the general shabbiness and stupidity of our metaphorical pub, it's unlikely your going to have much of a sense of community or comity.

Myself, I can't see the point of hanging out in a Mac enthusiast forum so that you can tell everybody how stupid their enthusiasm is, over and over again. It strikes me as a mental illness, and I think such people should be banned just because the sourness and bitterness that apparently is a symptom of such illness is toxic to any sense of community.

That's a fair sight from demanding everyone toe the Apple line, or only speak well of the platform, or whatever other straw man might leap to mind. But constant, sneering references to "fan boys" and meeting every appreciation of any particular thing Apple might do with the same, tedious sarcasm about "worshipping at Jobs feet" and "flipping out if anyone questions your precious Apple" are, to my mind, a kind of sludge that ever drags down the forum into ugliness. It's a freaking Mac enthusiast site. Why do I have to worry about coming off as "enthusiastic"?

Lots of people here, myself included, are perfectly capable of calling Apple out for boneheaded moves or wondering what the hell they were thinking when they did whatever without relying on the lazy, braindead "fanboy" chant to knock down anyone who disagrees.

Since at this point the very use of the term "fanboy" is such a clear indicator of having nothing to contribute beyond tribal hostility I would ban a member for using it, every time. That alone would probably clear about about 75% of the pointless snark that's infesting the forum.
  • Reply 96 of 190
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

I don?t recall Apple jabbing AT&T at all. They mentioned that carriers will offer MMS next week and that AT&T will offer it later in the summer, people laughed as it?s funny but it wasn?t a jab. Then later they mentioned tethering and had a about 22 carriers on the board, people laughed when they noticed AT&T was not among them. Scott Forestall made no further mention of the situation.

As for being every carrier, the number of carriers from the first slide for MMS was less than the second one for tethering so AT&T isn?t alone here.

Scott was just being a diplomat. No need to stir the hornet's nest. However, what was not being said was far louder than what he did say.

I listen to all the conspiracy theories as to why AT&T is being the way they are during the WWDC and as far as I'm concerned, I just sit back and wait for it to develop. Usually more often than not, the rumor-mongers were just spinning their heads.
  • Reply 97 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Scott was just being a diplomat. No need to stir the hornet's nest. However, what was not being said was far louder than what he did say.

I listen to all the conspiracy theories as to why AT&T is being the way they are during the WWDC and as far as I'm concerned, I just sit back and wait for it to develop. Usually more often than not, the rumor-mongers were just spinning their heads.

It did seem like he was biting his tongue up on stage. I just want to know why they are having so much trouble with this one phone that accounts for one-tenth of their network. We know that the iPhone uses the majority of the data, but would it use the majority of MMS data when it?s a pay for service with excessive rates, especially when the iPhone has the capabilities for richer options that are already included free of charge.

Some major piece of the puzzle is missing.
  • Reply 98 of 190
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

It did seem like he was biting his tongue up on stage.

What do you guys want AT&T do?

It's more like AT&T biting their tongue up so that Apple can have their launch the way that Apple wants.

Like last year's 3G iphone launch, did you want AT&T to go up on stage and basically trash the 1/2 price gimmick? AT&T bit their tongue for a few days and then the world found out that Steve Jobs was talking trash.

The carriers are all going to charge extra for tethering --- so the carriers bit their tongue and allow Apple to have their word on stage.
  • Reply 99 of 190
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

It's more like AT&T biting their tongue up so that Apple can have their launch the way that Apple wants.

Like last year's 3G iphone launch, did you want AT&T to go up on stage and basically trash the 1/2 price gimmick? AT&T bit their tongue for a few days and then the world found out that Steve Jobs was talking trash.

The carriers are all going to charge extra for tethering --- so the carriers bit their tongue and allow Apple to have their word on stage.

This makes no sense. The "tongue biting" being referred to involves implying but not outright saying that AT&T is dropping the ball on their network and services. That the iPhone can do more than AT&T either can or will permit it to do. It's Apple being semi-diplomatic in regards to a technical or organizational failing of their US cell carrier partner.

I have no idea what you think your counter-example is about. AT&T resents Apple putting the iPhone's price structure in the best possible light and would play up the expenses if it were up to them? What?
  • Reply 100 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

I?m not following your post at all. How is AT&T biting their tongue when Apple clearly states the iPhone costs $199 w/subsidization. That isn?t some new fangled Apple math. That what every US carrier and probably most carriers do, and what they?ve been doing long before the iPhone came around. The cost out the door is half of what it was prior to the 3G launch. Are you suggesting AT&T wanted to say ?Hey, the real price is higher but we have to pay Apple for the difference which is why we require a 2 year agreement.?? Besides being obvious, I don?t see why AT&T would want to jump up and say that.

As for tethering, most will charge for tethering. There are some countries that typical include it as part of the data plan. AT&T has been to charge a different rate for tethering with other phones, so why not the iPhone when there has been so much time to prepare for it? Why do they need to prepare for it? Why do you think they are biting their tongues about a service they aren?t offering but Apple clearly has ready on their end?