Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0

Comments

• Reply 341 of 380
    iPhone is the best phone ever. But the new OS isn't anything to write home about -- especially if you were planning to do it with MMS. Really not much more than tweaks and adding some features -- cut and paste -- that ought to have been there all along. This is no great leap forward. I expected more and better from Apple.\
  • Reply 342 of 380
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VertiGoGo View Post

The 3.0 update has killed my iPhone. It's a brick now. iTunes store error or says "iTunes cannot connect with this iPhone" or something similar.

How many other bricks out there already? Twitter is hopping about it at the moment.

Are we to assume yours was of the 'jailbroken' variety?
  • Reply 343 of 380
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Thank you Apple!

I'm loving all the new features.

How did I live without Spotlight?

I agree. Spotlight is the big win here.
  • Reply 344 of 380
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Are we to assume yours was of the 'jailbroken' variety?

I?ve never had a phone be completely bricked if the HW buttons still work properly. DFU mode should fix it.

Quote:

I?d like to get searching of the email message and the notes section of contacts.
  • Reply 345 of 380
    kime0kime0 Posts: 1member
    I updated to the 3.0 and now i can't use the internet. Every time i try to go on it says "Could not activate cellular network: You are not subscribed to a cellular data service" and i dont have iphone 3g data plan. In 2.2.1 firmware i can still go on the internet w/o iphone data plan. I used to have to turn off "edge" in Bossprefs since i dont want to get charged. now i got unlimited data plan but for different phone (its cheaper only $15/mo. on top of my voice plan) thought it might work in 3.0 fw but i guess not. Anyone is in the same situation as me?

Notice: i ddint buy the phone from AT&T, i got it from someone via craigslist.
  • Reply 346 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kime0 View Post

I updated to the 3.0 and now i can't use the internet. Every time i try to go on it says "Could not activate cellular network: You are not subscribed to a cellular data service" and i dont have iphone 3g data plan. In 2.2.1 firmware i can still go on the internet w/o iphone data plan. I used to have to turn off "edge" in Bossprefs since i dont want to get charged. now i got unlimited data plan but for different phone (its cheaper only $15/mo. on top of my voice plan) thought it might work in 3.0 fw but i guess not. Anyone is in the same situation as me?

It appears that AT&T has updated their network to look for people not paying for the correct plans. Since you have to activate in iTunes, you probably triggered something. It?s always best to wait if you trying to subvert the network.

At this point, You can always try removing the SIM and reinserting it, but I think you may have to sign up for a proper iPhone plan. Just don?t get trapped into a 2 year contract since you?ve already bought it outright (unless it was stolen).
  • Reply 347 of 380
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I initially thought the UI implementation was a bit of a compromise in that the first home screen was now the second dot on the bottom, but it works out ok. if you have a lot of home screens you can press the home button and then press it again to get to the search screen. Overall I like the functionality. I think Apple does a great job of managing compromises- like how to design a UI on such a small screen, multi-tasking the essential apps, best hardware for battery life, modest camera for thinness of the device, etc.
  • Reply 348 of 380
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kime0 View Post

Try the following:
    1. Restart the phone. If this does not help, go to 2.

2. Go to Settings -> General -> Network -> Cellular Data Network. Press Reset Settins button at the bottom. If this does not help immediately restart the phone again. If still no success go to step 3.

3. Google for the correct settings for your provider to be set in Settings -> General -> Network ->Cellular Data Network. Set them manually. May need to restart.

• Reply 349 of 380
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It appears that AT&T has updated their network to look for people not paying for the correct plans. Since you have to activate in iTunes, you probably triggered something. It’s always best to wait if you trying to subvert the network.

At this point, You can always try removing the SIM and reinserting it, but I think you may have to sign up for a proper iPhone plan. Just don’t get trapped into a 2 year contract since you’ve already bought it outright (unless it was stolen).

mr. Hollywood- What advice do you have for me? I'm caught between a new iPhone and a good phone call. \
  • Reply 350 of 380
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I have the GM from my dev account, since last week, and it does not have the Battery % indicator as I've seen on two other 3G that updated through iTunes.

Did Apple forget that in the supposed "Gold Master" we were given through the Dev center?
  • Reply 351 of 380
    The battery drains way faster due to push notification being on.

if u want your battery to last longer turn push notifications off!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 352 of 380
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    It is 7:45 pm and I am sitting in my car with my Macbook Pro tethered to my iPhone.

Unbelievably fast.

Just ran a speedtest. Getting 3.3 MBps download on my computer. 2.5 MBs on the iPhone.

Running the test and surfing, I have used 3 MBs in the last 10 minutes.

Very happy. Thank you Apple and Rogers.
  • Reply 353 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

It is 7:45 pm and I am sitting in my car with my Macbook Pro tethered to my iPhone.

Unbelievably fast.

Just ran a speedtest. Getting 3.3 MBps download on my computer. 2.5 MBs on the iPhone.

Running the test and surfing, I have used 3 MBs in the last 10 minutes.

Very happy. Thank you Apple and Rogers.

I was thinking that the iPhone 3G?s HSDPA was only 1.8Mbps, but it has to be 3.6Mbps. Are you getting the 3GS with it?s 7.2Mbps HSDPA? Do you know what Roger?s maximum is right now?
  • Reply 354 of 380
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I was thinking that the iPhone 3G?s HSDPA was only 1.8Mbps, but it has to be 3.6Mbps. Are you getting the 3GS with it?s 7.2Mbps HSDPA? Do you know what Roger?s maximum is right now?

I don't know what the max is.

I have the 3G only.
  • Reply 355 of 380
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member
    Upgraded my 1G iPhone today in about 20 mins. No problems so far. Thanks for cut copy and paste Apple!
  • Reply 356 of 380
    ikueikue Posts: 5member
    I'm loving the new scrubbing feature when inside the iPod app. Much easier to scrub to a specific second in a song/video.
  • Reply 357 of 380
    doc362doc362 Posts: 43member
    Thanks for adding a bunch of stuff that should have been on this phone when it was released a couple of years ago. This update is one big yawn.
  • Reply 358 of 380
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doc362 View Post

Thanks for adding a bunch of stuff that should have been on this phone when it was released a couple of years ago. This update is one big yawn.

What should have been added a couple years ago? What features do you feel Apple was obligated to add, yet somehow didn?t?
  • Reply 359 of 380
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doc362 View Post

I agree.

Apple is crazy to think I would want to replace my 1G Iphone with this "New" one. Honestly can say there is nothing worth the upgrade.....Que next year.
  • Reply 360 of 380
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

I agree.

Apple is crazy to think I would want to replace my 1G Iphone with this "New" one. Honestly can say there is nothing worth the upgrade.....Que next year.

Double the performance is nothing to scoff it. Granted, not everyone thinks that is worth the cost of upgrading. But certainly it should be obvious that some people have the money and desire to have an iPhone that is twice the speed of their current iPhone.