Windows 7 priced below Vista, to allow upgrades from XP

Comments

• Reply 21 of 197
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

They have been for about 8 years now. I'm not sure that Windows 7 will really do anything to change that. Sometimes the hurt just runs too deep.

But one can always hope.

I don?t see this as a gamer changer. Mac OS X has always been lower priced than retail copies of the higher-end versions of Windows. I don?t think most of that makes a difference to majority of Windows users who typically buy a new PC with an OEM version of Windows pre-installed. I think the Mac adoption rate will be about the same and MS will still be making huge profits for years to come.
  • Reply 22 of 197
    Quote:

$29 Snow Leopard is going to make MS a laughingstock.

lol. What does that even mean? You macboys are out of control stupid. It makes sense though, since Apples entire campaign is focused on how their user base can barely figure out how to turn on a computer.

Great laughs here keep em coming.
  • Reply 23 of 197
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

$29 Snow Leopard is going to make MS a laughingstock.

Most Macs in 2010 running 4GB RAM while most PC users are stuck with 32bit OS's is going to make MS a laughing stock.

Will most Mac users need 4GB RAM? Actually the probably don't, given the efficiency of Snow Leopard and not running demanding apps. I don't know. Just obsessed with 4GB RAM right now.
  • Reply 24 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imGayForSteveJobs View Post

lol. What does that even mean? You macboys are out of control stupid. It makes sense though, since Apples entire campaign is focused on how their user base can barely figure out how to turn on a computer.

Great laughs here keep em coming.

It means you pcboys are bending over yet again by forking out even more money for even more beta testing of service packs by Microshaft.

Call me a macboy, I use a Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit PC for gaming. But for everything else, guess what! A Mac is great and suits my needs (read: yes it actually turns on, enters sleep/ hibernate mode easily, and runs multiple demanding apps without hitches, and seamlessly moves between 32bit and 64bit, and comes with all the drivers...! Wow this means I now knothing about computers OMFG)

EDIT1: Language.

EDIT2: It was a heated moment.

EDIT3: Edited the sentence so it makes sense now.
  • Reply 25 of 197
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    [QUOTE "Why do these articles keep comparing pricing between OSX and Windows. Why would someone owning a Mac even consider the two? "Hmm, I could upgrade to snow leopard... or I could put Windows 7 on my Mac, decisions decisions" If you have a Mac, I doubt you are debating which OS to put on it. If you have a PC, well price doesn't matter because you would have to buy a Mac anyways. So WHO CARES!"[/QUOTE]

Seriously, some of us, because of our ((investment) programs are forced to use Windows. (and I mean forced!) Anyway, as a Mac user since the 128k, I always upgrade to the latest-beta or not. So I''m running W7 RC in Parallels. I like it better than XP (It's closer to Apple System 7 than XP, so they are only a decade or two away from OSX.) Apple's pricing of 10.6 definitely influenced MS marketing-since they have always tried to copy Apple since 1984.( Their copies are always more complex than the originals?)

Speaking of 1984, check out this quote from clueless MicroSoft's Brad Brooks- it is twisted, misdirecting, spun NewSpeak!

"Even their chief software architect called (Snow Leopard) an upgrade of Leopard," Brooks said. "The way I look at it, its a service pack and we don't charge for service packs." Right!!! Unlike a true revolutionary Apple upgrade, MS spins badboy Vista's upgrade and calls it Windows 7, so they can charge for it! What a world!
  • Reply 26 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

"Why do these articles keep comparing pricing between OSX and Windows. Why would someone owning a Mac even consider the two? "Hmm, I could upgrade to snow leopard... or I could put Windows 7 on my Mac, decisions decisions" If you have a Mac, I doubt you are debating which OS to put on it. If you have a PC, well price doesn't matter because you would have to buy a Mac anyways. So WHO CARES!"

Seriously, some of us, because of our ((investment) programs are forced to use Windows. (and I mean forced!) Anyway, as a Mac user since the 128k, I always upgrade to the latest-beta or not. So I''m running W7 RC in Parallels. I like it better than XP (It's closer to Apple System 7 than XP, so they are only a decade or two away from OSX.) Apple's pricing of 10.6 definitely influenced MS marketing-since they have always tried to copy Apple since 1984.( Their copies are always more complex than the originals?)

Speaking of 1984, check out this quote from clueless MicroSoft's Brad Brooks- it is twisted, misdirecting, spun NewSpeak!

"Even their chief software architect called (Snow Leopard) an upgrade of Leopard," Brooks said. "The way I look at it, its a service pack and we don't charge for service packs." Right!!! Unlike a true revolutionary Apple upgrade, MS spins badboy Vista's upgrade and calls it Windows 7, so they can charge for it! What a world!

Yeah. Something about paying $29 for a Service Pack that actually does something useful (Snow Leopard), than paying over $100 for a Service Pack (Windows 7) that may or may not have any tangible benefits... Hmm, let's see, which one should I choose... Like I said, I'll run Windows 7 RC2 or RC3 in Parallels and win for me.

Like I said as well, Windows 7 may be interesting because then I might actually never, ever have to touch Vista ever in my life again.

Now, if the DX9-DX10-DX11 fiasco could be sorted out...
  • Reply 27 of 197
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    If Snow Leopard is a service pack, then WTF is Windows 7?
  • Reply 28 of 197
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

it's expected that a larger percentage of the Mac user base will be running Snow Leopard early on than PC users will rush to install Windows 7.

Yeah, try a larger number of Mac users will be running Snow Leopard a month after the update than Windows users will be running Windows 7.

Everyone already knows that Mac users tend to upgrade much more rapidly and at a much higher rate than PC users. E.g., there are about 3x Leopard users now as there are Tiger users, and there are still amost 3x XP users as there are Vista users. And XP is WAAAAAY older than Tiger, and Leopard is newer than Vista.
  • Reply 29 of 197
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And . . . so is the rest of the market for some reason.

Because shopping is mostly a emotional experience and glossy sells well to newbies.

It's killing their repeat business though, guess they haven't figured that out yet.
  • Reply 30 of 197
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

It's not a rare gesture. It's always been this way, and the same thing happened with Windows Vista. If you had XP installed, you could directly upgrade to Vista, otherwise if you had Windows Me/2000 required you to wipe your system. Anything before Windows Me required a retail version to install, period.

At first, they were saying that you couldn't upgrade from XP to Win 7, so this is a concession to all of those who never did upgrade to Vista.

I'm also wondering if some of these discounts, particularly the $50 pre-orders have anything to do with a response to 10.6's $29 upgrade pricing.
  • Reply 31 of 197
    [QUOTE

Like I said as well, Windows 7 may be interesting because then I might actually never, ever have to touch Vista ever in my life again."

In order not to violate any patents or blatant appearance of outright theft, MS chooses to call their upgrades a Service Pack, because they have never really upgraded anything. The garbage, over-bloated code that they modified from DOS is still in that even more huge trash bag software they've been toten' around since the early days. When I have to make any simple changes using Windows, I really need an Ice Pack!

Look in the Windows system folder

>?????msdaosp.dll, sqloledb.dll, OLE DB, WAB32, ado,..... what is this crap???<
  • Reply 32 of 197
    Quote:

A Mac is great and suits my needs (read: yes it actually turns on...

This has been my biggest problem with a PC, I have yet to find one that turns on...[/quote]

EDIT; personal attack using unacceptable language.
  • Reply 33 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Apple should just integrate Snow Leopard with their updates and just send it out. Why charge people for it?

Because it took two years to do, and cost a great deal of money.

It's also a major upgrade internally, and despite the statements that Apple was concentrating on improving this under the hood, there are some big features involved.

This isn't the same as a double point update, or MS's yearly updates.
  • Reply 34 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Apple's soaking the iPhone people anyway, give us old Mac users a break.

And how are they doing that?
  • Reply 35 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It means you pcboys are bending over yet again *** by forking out even more money for even more beta testing of service packs by Microshaft.

Call me a macboy, I use a Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit PC for gaming. But for everything else, guess what! A Mac is great and suits my needs (read: yes it actually turns on, enters sleep/ hibernate mode easily, and runs multiple demanding apps without hitches, and seamlessly moves between 32bit and 64bit, and comes with all the drivers...! Wow this means I now knothing about computers OMFG)

EDIT: You know better. careful with the language please.
  • Reply 36 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

It's killing their repeat business though, guess they haven't figured that out yet.

Where's the evidence of that?
  • Reply 37 of 197
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Why don't you write about the "disgruntled" Leopard users who also have to pay a fee for a "maintenance release"?

Because there aren't any, duh!
  • Reply 38 of 197
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Why don't you write about the "disgruntled" Leopard users who also have to pay a fee for a "maintenance release"?

Why don't you write about them? They don't exist...
  • Reply 39 of 197
    camroidv27camroidv27 Posts: 523member
    Windows 7 Pricing has NOTHING to do with Apple. The only reason this is posted that I can see is for MS hating.

And if you ask me, that looks VERY poorly on the Apple community from others. MS community hates Apple too... so Apple guys, "Think Different" and just ignore the pest.

That being said, raise of hands, how many of you are going to buy and install Win7 on your Macs? Seems like a lot of people I know that have Macs, ALSO buy windows to run on it. So in that regard, yes this affects you.

Lets focus on Apple okay? Can anyone tell me when FCS3 is coming out and if it will support the CUDA / GrandCentral scheme?
  • Reply 40 of 197
    [QUOTE=camroidv27;1440587] "Windows 7 Pricing has NOTHING to do with Apple. The only reason this is posted that I can see is for MS hating."

We don't hate MS for their way over charging for their lousy software, or the fact that they continually steal it directly from Apple, or that Steve Balmer is a total fool. We hate MS because we do have to use Windows and it is so bloated, overly complex, clutsy and time intensive-that why we hate MS!!!