Apple, other phone makers agree on standard charger for Europe

Comments

• Reply 81 of 197
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This sounds like another half baked idea.

Yes, because protecting the environment is a half baked idea...

Quote:

More than a few people won't remember to buy a charger even though they'll need it, so they'll get ticked when they get it home and realize that they have to go back to the store?costing more in polluting services.

Most stores manage to ask people if they have batteries for devices that require them, it won't be too hard for them to ask if you have a charger.

Quote:

Overall, I'm not so sure they'll see nearly the gain they think they will.

The EU comes out with these "standards" every so often without thinking it through.

This looks to be one of those times.

I think they will, they have 24% of the world cellphone users, so need to start something. Or are you worried as Nokia, and SE are based there, so what happens there will make it's way around the rest of the work, and then hit one of the smallest cellphone using areas, the USA?
  • Reply 82 of 197
    robrerobre Posts: 56member
    I'm all for standardization. Don't get me wrong. But here is another example that it can breed mediocre products!

It's too bad that we have to end up with a solution like this imposed on us by the "great engineers" of Europe. For them seemingly the Mini USB is a step forward. I myself have two weird - aaaah, sorry - proprietary Nokia and Sony chargers floating around in the garage. Can't use them for anything else than the retired phones. On the other hand - Mini USB has improved the situation somewhat. The Blackberry, Razor, Bluetooth headset, and Garmin can all be charged by MiniUSB chargers. But let's be honest - isn't it already so "old" and you still need a charger for each device.

When I heard about this European initiative a few months ago I thought they would come up with something really innovative - for about a second! I knew they wouldn't (I grew up there.) And they didn't - hence the MiniUSB.

One forward-looking solution or lets say concept that should be a candidate is already out there - since about 2 weeks. It's the Palm Pre's "wireless" charger. Expand that concept and there could be one power supply and a 12" x 12" plate on your desk onto which you just place your devices when you come home.... No plugs, one power brick.

Ohh - just a dream but a lot better than MiniUSB power supplies.
  • Reply 83 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Please don't be rude. I am not lost at all on this. It is clearly stated in the original post.

The original post makes zero mention of what methodology will be used to enable the iPhone (or any other phone) to charge via microUSB. You are making assumptions, andGizmodo has the same exact question as me. Is the dock connector gone, or is it a supplement? That has not been specified by anyone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Seems like a good time to mention the Google sync service.

iPhone capacities are 8/16/32gb and hold music, movies, pictures, etc. Google sync is not the answer, for many reasons. I do use Googles exchange offerings, but that doesn't encompass all that is meant by "sync."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

You stuck the microusb at the wrong end

If apple fully supports the spec, they will still only have to provide 2 "plastic things". If they support the spec through an adaptor, they will need 3 "plastic things". That doesn't make the spec bad.

As indicated by my other posts, I didn't put the micro on the wrong end. In all scenarios, users still need a micro to full USB adapter to sync with the only size USB port on their computer: full USB-A

I bring this up because i'm confused why the standard is not microUSB to USB. Why is it micro to micro when all computers require full size? The wall plug isnt going to get smaller by including microUSB either, just look at Apple's full size USB implementation. Tiny. If it's microUSB to USB, there is no need for an alternative sync adapter.

Thus, the spec is bad.
  • Reply 84 of 197
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Just because you rubber stamp "protecting the environment" onto an idea does not automatically make it a good idea. Nor does it necessarily mean it's the most effective way to protect the environment.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Yes, because protecting the environment is a half baked idea...

• Reply 85 of 197
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clickmyface View Post

iPhone capacities are 8/16/32gb and hold music, movies, pictures, etc. Google sync is not the answer, for many reasons. I do use Googles exchange offerings, but that doesn't encompass all that is meant by "sync."

Certainly not the only answer, but for a huge number of people, there isn't much need to download the newest Timberland CD. A large number of people are going to be perfectly happy syncing 100 hours of music to their phones and then not syncing again until iPhone OS 4.0. You can buy music from the phone, download video podcasts etc. There's really very little reason for most people to plug in their phones outside of charging and outside of the first big sync.
  • Reply 86 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

All Apple need to do is include an adaptor which has a Female mini usb on one side and dock connector on the other. Then just pack it in with a mini usb cable. This way you can use the adaptor with any compatible mini usb charger.

This is the wrong type of USB adaptor.
  • Reply 87 of 197
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Dude, they will include a cable that has a plug on it with the appropriate source for the country and a regular USB socket on the other side.

Where did you find this?

All the articles related to this seem to be saying that the charger to phone cable will be micro-USB. Doesn't say if there is/can/will be anything else.

Why not a charger with built-in cable and micro-USB connector on the end. The manufacturer can save a few pennies per charger by not putting a standard USB connector.

They can put it on there but they don't have to.
  • Reply 88 of 197
    By the way, this is not a new idea with the charger. Nokia has had this for over a year, with SE and a few others now seeing the benefit of this, but because Apple is now involved it is big news. OMFG !!!!!
  • Reply 89 of 197
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

This sounds like another half baked idea.

Different batteries require different rechargers. Larger batteries require more output from the charger in order to charge in the specified time. A charger with lower output will take longer to charge the phone. A charger with higher output for a smaller battery will still pull more current out of the wall than a smaller, properly sized charger.

When you consider that they want people to buy the charger separately, rather than have the manufacturer sell one with each phone, then the charger will cost more because of the extra packaging, shipping, shelving etc. In addition, with the small chargers used today, it doesn't do much to increase box size. but now, it will be environmentally unfriendly because of the extra packaging, shipping etc.

More than a few people won't remember to buy a charger even though they'll need it, so they'll get ticked when they get it home and realize that they have to go back to the store?costing more in polluting services.

Overall, I'm not so sure they'll see nearly the gain they think they will.

The EU comes out with these "standards" every so often without thinking it through.

This looks to be one of those times.

I couldn't disagree more. Yes, there's going to be a changeover period, but once all phones accept one charger connection, this will provide a clear benefit. Consumers will already have a phone charger so they don't need another one in the box with the phone. If there were one in the box with the phone, it just wouldn't get used.

This will ultimately avoid the construction and shipment of millions upon millions of chargers and that is a good thing.
  • Reply 90 of 197
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jingo View Post

I'm all for standardisation in cases like this, and all for regulation in order that it is achieved as quickly as possible. However I do think that they've standardised the wrong end of the cable here. Why not standardise on a power brick with a standard-sized USB connector on it, and have every phone which doesn't employ a micro-USB connector on the phone itself (which should be recommended but not compulsory) include a cable ending with a stndard USB connector?

Because that would make the charger more expensive to manufacture. Simply hardwiring the cable to the brick is cheaper that paying to add a USB port to the brick and then a USB plug on the end of the cable.

It's probably a fairly small incremental increase in cost, but multiple that my the number of units and the savings adds up. I'm also hoping that they eventually expand this to include non-smart phones. Those phones probably have very slim profit margins, so the manufacturers would resist any increase in power adaptor cost eating into their profits.
  • Reply 91 of 197
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dalpha View Post

What of all this talk about the dock connector's superior features to the Micro USB then? From what I understand, the dock connector is great because it allows for expandability. For instance, you can play videos straight from your i-whatever to your television or what not with the dock connector. Can you do that with Micro USB?

I was also thinking about future netbooks. A netbook might be something I'd want to sync with another computer in a similar fashion to my iPhone. Would it be possible to use the 30-pin dock connector to charge (and sync) a netbook? I love the magnetic power source my MBP uses, but charging with an iPod cable would be kind of cool and a lot cheaper if I wanted to buy more than one.

I love the MagSafe, and with regards to that, if anything, they should make the brick itself a standard spec...but that's a bit difficult because a large screen notebook is going to need a hell of a lot more power than a netbook....so maybe it's a set of standards with the ability to use a custom cable.

Back to the Micro USB...as far as video...or for that matter anything else, there's two options, one would be to make a proprietary or open enhanced port. A standard Micro USB cable would plug in and provide what is possible under USB, but the female slot on the iPod/iPhone would also have an extra width or height such that a cable that included Micro USB pins and extra pins for say video, or whatever, can be plugged in.

In other words, Micro USB becomes a fully functional subset of what Apple uses as a new connector.

It's a shame Apple couldn't or didn't evangelize a Micro USB spec that did this, but only with the iPod dock connector.

Edit: I was speaking in terms of what Apple could do with an enhanced Micro USB port, not what they will do.
  • Reply 92 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

and now all cell phones have to have universal plugs theres a great way to kill innovation, no matter how crunched for space someone is on space in a new handset design, it has to have micro USB so theres the minimum thinness and no matter how much the developer of the handset wants to use a newer standard down the road, tough, gotta use USB...

Look at history folks, what cabeling standard outside of CAT-5 has been widely used for consumer digital tech for more than a handfull years? I dont know whats in the pipe that could kill USB, but I dont work at IEEE, Intel or places like that.

what a joke, the EU is a tech laughing stock.

I'm an electronics engineer and in my professional opinion you are talking bollocks. How thin do you want a phone to be? The micro USB socket only requires 3 mm! Even then, if you want to make your phone thinner, you can just include a "new fangled port" to micro USB adaptor, like Apple will include a dock connector to micro USB adaptor.
  • Reply 93 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robre View Post

One forward-looking solution or lets say concept that should be a candidate is already out there - since about 2 weeks. It's the Palm Pre's "wireless" charger. Expand that concept and there could be one power supply and a 12" x 12" plate on your desk onto which you just place your devices when you come home.... No plugs, one power brick.

Ohh - just a dream but a lot better than MiniUSB power supplies.

The problem is that wireless charging is horrendously inefficient. It's possible to make a wired charger that's over 90% efficient; you can't achieve that with wireless charging.
  • Reply 94 of 197
    Quote:

I was stating a fact - computers come with full size USB ports, not micro. This new standard forces apple to include a microUSB to USB adapter to make desktop syncing possible.

To charge and sync my iPhone, I require only 2 things: iPhone-to-full size USB cable and a full size USB to wall plug.

The new standard will require 3 things: iPhone to microUSB cable, microUSB wall plug, and microUSB to full size USB adapter.

Do you see how 2 plastic things becomes 3 plastic things becomes 50 million new plastic things we didnt need before?

Quote:

The original post makes zero mention of what methodology will be used to enable the iPhone (or any other phone) to charge via microUSB. You are making assumptions, andGizmodo has the same exact question as me. Is the dock connector gone, or is it a supplement? That has not been specified by anyone.

As indicated by my other posts, I didn't put the micro on the wrong end. In all scenarios, users still need a micro to full USB adapter to sync with the only size USB port on their computer: full USB-A

I bring this up because i'm confused why the standard is not microUSB to USB. Why is it micro to micro when all computers require full size? The wall plug isnt going to get smaller by including microUSB either, just look at Apple's full size USB implementation. Tiny. If it's microUSB to USB, there is no need for an alternative sync adapter.

Thus, the spec is bad.

You've got this all wrong. It's not micro-usb to micro-usb as you're envisioning it. It's a micro-usb socket in the phone, and a micro-usb plug on the end of the power adaptor's cable.

The problem is that you're stuck in the Apple mindset, thinking of a power adaptor that has a socket in it. Most adaptors have a fixed wire that you can't remove. This standard means that most manufacturers will make power adaptors with fixed cables that have a micro USB plug at the end. Then, all phones must have a micro usb socket that you can plug that USB plug into to charge the phone. In this way, you can use any charger to charge any phone.

Some phones will also use that USB socket on the phone to provide a USB connection for synching data with a computer, in which case you will use a micro USB to full size USB cable.

Others, like Apple, will use some other connector on the phone, and provide a mating adaptor to allow connection of the micro USB connector.
  • Reply 95 of 197
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Thus, the spec is bad.

I really don't think that is the spec, because that makes no sense whatsoever. None of the articles I've read detail everything in the standard, however there is only one way it can work, so I assume that is what they are doing.

The charger must have a microusb end and the phone must be able to recieve a microusb plug. I don't think they detail what the end plugging into the charger should be for one obvious reason. Who says the charger and the cable have to be seperate entities? Can't they be permanently attached like most chargers of today? I find it hard to believe that they would ban chargers that come with the microusb cable permanently attached.

The only end that they can really regulate is the one plugging into the phone. In other words the standard is essentially 110/120/220/240V to microusb. If they want to include an intermediate USB to microusb cable to allow easy syncing, I'm sure that will be fine as long as the plug going into the phone is microusb.

Edit: The post above me probably describes it in a better manner.
  • Reply 96 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I really don't think that is the spec, because that makes no sense whatsoever. None of the articles I've read detail everything in the standard, however there is only one way it can work, so I assume that is what they are doing.

The charger must have a microusb end and the phone must be able to recieve a microusb plug. I don't think they detail what the end plugging into the charger should be for one obvious reason. Who says the charger and the cable have to be seperate entities? Can't they be permanently attached like most chargers of today? I find it hard to believe that they would ban chargers that come with the microusb cable permanently attached.

The only end that they can really regulate is the one plugging into the phone. In other words the standard is essentially 110/120/220/240V to microusb. If they want to include an intermediate USB to microusb cable to allow easy syncing, I'm sure that will be fine as long as the plug going into the phone is microusb.

^ This
  • Reply 97 of 197
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    "Apple's responded, and in a statement told Pocket-lint: "As we've said in the past, we are committed to the Apple dock connector and this initiative will not require us to change it. Today's memorandum gives manufacturers the option to provide an adapter that connects with the universal charger".

That sounds, to our ears, like a micro-USB adaptor will be bundled with future versions of the iPhone, as well as the cable that it currently comes with. Problem solved, though perhaps with not quite the simplicity that Apple often invokes."

pocketlint
  • Reply 98 of 197
    If I understand it correctly, this solution would be illegal in Europe starting January 1, 2012. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the (proposed) EU legislation mandate that the actual handheld (not an an adaptor/converter) needs to have a standards-based MicroUSB female connector for charging? If so, the device pictured in the post would simply not do the trick (aside from showing MiniUSB, not MicroUSB, but I get the intended point). An iPhone would either have to get rid of the 30 pin connector in favor of MicroUSB (such as in the case of most phones, such as a Blackberry or Palm Pre) or add one in addition to the 30 pin connector (seemingly more likely).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

All Apple need to do is include an adaptor which has a Female mini usb on one side and dock connector on the other. Then just pack it in with a mini usb cable. This way you can use the adaptor with any compatible mini usb charger.

• Reply 99 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaloAltoWorldView View Post

If I understand it correctly, this solution would be illegal in Europe starting January 1, 2012.

According to the post above yours, Apple certainly seem to be under the impression that an adaptor will do.
  • Reply 100 of 197
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    Quote:

Paul Panepinto of universal power supply developer Green Plug estimates that "the average user [of CE products] throws away 300 power adapters in their lifetime." Some 3.2 billion new power supplies were manufactured worldwide in 2008, even as two billion older ones were dumped into landfills, according to the San Ramon, Calif.-based company.cf. http://www.crn.com/mobile/218101912

And you can still find a few ignorant 'tards/EU-haters dismissing this move... Pathetic. Sure the triple digits manufacturers margins on moronic proprietary chargers/adapters would miss you.