Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2006)

Comments

• Reply 2001 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Where the 360's were sitting on the shelves from day one?

http://www.ps3news.ca/12212006/21/mo..._meets_the_eye
  • Reply 2002 of 2106
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    Okay, so in the world of unsubstantiated rumours, there are PS3's on the shelves.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, Sony is busy shifting shite as quickly as they can make it.

Either way, give it a month or so, this is Christmas and I dont actually believe that there is a solitary PS3 sitting on a shelf for more than a day or so. Yeah the prices on ebay have come down too. Thank God.

I'm in Australia and waiting for the PAL version to come out so this is all pretty academic to me anyway.

Merry Christmas everyone...
  • Reply 2003 of 2106
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    Holy Shit!!! There's a $1000 PS3 bundle on a shelf somewhere!!!

And Jonny is busy harrasing mum, GET IT GET IT

No, not after I forked out $1000 for that 360 bundle that raised the room by 10 degrees every time you switched it on.

Come on.....
  • Reply 2004 of 2106

I've set my alarm for this date/time in 2008, or a post count of 8,000 in this thread, whichever comes sooner, or a price point of $50 for a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray burner! This format war prequel is starting to get REALLY BORING!

BTW, Ebert & Roeper have given this thread two thumbs down, and it tops their list as the "Worst Forum Thread of 2006!"

The following MAY help you people out more than you think, use it on thine enemies, you're bound to have more luck with it then all you're insistent bickering;

"You are getting drowsy. Your eyes are getting tired. They are getting heavy. They are closing. You are getting sleepy. You are going to sleep. Going sound to sleep."

"Close your eyes and go sound to sleep."

"Sleep, sleep, sleep, sleepy, sleepy, gone to sleep, to sleep, sound asleep."

"Your eyes are shut so tight you can’t open them. You are going sound asleep. You are at perfect rest. You are perfectly quiet. You are going into a deep sleep, deep sleep, deep sleep, sound asleep. You are now sound asleep, sound asleep."

Zzzzzzz....

• Reply 2005 of 2106
    On a side note, anyone seen the displays at Best Buy that are showcasing Blu-Ray players? I love how they run comparisons of standard DVD to Blu-Ray, and the DVD is all blurry and distorted. Convincing to the idiot, amusing to the rest.
  • Reply 2006 of 2106
    PS3 Looks to have Over 1 Million Consoles Sold

http://www.vgcharts.org/

Well, looks like Sony is well on their way!! :cool: And we still have a whole week in December to go! So much for sitting on the shelves!
  • Reply 2007 of 2106
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

And this compares to how many Xbox HD-DVD add-ons and other HD-DVD players? Just wondering. Too lazy to do the research this early in the game and I figured you'd know of hand.

• Reply 2008 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

And this compares to how many Xbox HD-DVD add-ons and other HD-DVD players? Just wondering. Too lazy to do the research this early in the game and I figured you'd know of hand.

Problem is you can't do a direct comparisons. Every HD-DVD player and HD-DVD Xbox addon WILL be used for movies. Not every PS3 will be used for movies (no matter how much THEY want to tell you otherwise). So even if 2 million PS3s get sold, doesn't mean there are 2 million people with HDTVs or even 2 million people planning on purchasing Blu-Ray movies. Numbers are great, because you can spin them in any way you want...
  • Reply 2009 of 2106
    Quote:

http://www.vgcharts.org/

Well, looks like Sony is well on their way!! :cool: And we still have a whole week in December to go! So much for sitting on the shelves!

From the site:

Quote:

the data on VG Charts is unofficial and in some cases incomplete

And then further down, it goes on to say how they get there data, but they only talk about the Japanese numbers. There is no mention of how or where they get their US sales figures from. So I take these numbers with a grain of salt. Hell, I could make a website that says there has only been 5 PS3s sold. Doesn't mean it correct. But it would be as accurate as these guys, since they don't post any information about their sources.
  • Reply 2010 of 2106
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    It's actually quite humorous to me that over 50 pages of this thread is built around one single premise: that the PS3 is going to decide the HD DVD format wars.

Which is just laughable in its construct and reasoning.

Listen up folks. The PS3 nor the XBOX are going to decide which format wins the war.
  • Reply 2011 of 2106
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

It's actually quite humorous to me that over 50 pages of this thread is built around one single premise: that the PS3 is going to decide the HD DVD format wars.

Listen up folks. The PS3 nor the XBOX are going to decide which format wins the war.

And this is "cause you said so"?
  • Reply 2012 of 2106
    Quote:

This thread has almost been going for a full year (we are so close guys!!!) I love getting the emails everyday saying there have been new responses

It is actually interesting, the PS3 argument didn't come in at page one. But it is rather amusing to go back and see the history.
  • Reply 2013 of 2106
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

This thread has almost been going for a full year (we are so close guys!!!) I love getting the emails everyday saying there have been new responses

It is actually interesting, the PS3 argument didn't come in at page one. But it is rather amusing to go back and see the history.

we keep it real here.
  • Reply 2014 of 2106
    Blu-Ray and HDDVD are pretty much the same thing. With the correct firmware i'm sure you could use one type of reader/burner as both Blu-Ray and HDDVD as they both use the same wavelength laser diode @ 405nm Near UV. (They are not blue lasers)

DVD burners are high powered 650nm RED diodes. CD Burners are high powered 780nm Near IR.
  • Reply 2015 of 2106
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

NPD stated not to long ago that the add-on sold 42,000 by the end of November. Pretty abysmal.

There are those that want people to think that less than 5% (< 50,000) will use their PS3s for movies. I just find it amusing. I think the percentage will be around 40% using it for both movies and games with the majority 60% using it just for games. So, IMO, you're looking at 400,000 PS3s used for movies compared to approximately < 100,000 add-ons.

Let the significance of the number of PS3s sold downplaying begin...
  • Reply 2016 of 2106
    Quote:

What's humorous is how you came to the conclusion that this thread is built arond one single premise in the PS3.

We've discussed ad nauseum how Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, LG, Sony, Panasonic, Sony Pictures, Fox, Disney, MGM, Lionsgate, Dell, and others exclusivity toward Blu-ray will help in the course of the format war.

The industry is not on HD DVDs side, this with many other variables will decide the format war in Blu-ray's favor IMO. How you come to the conclusion that this thread is based upon the single premise aforementioned, is beyond me.
  • Reply 2017 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

And then further down, it goes on to say how they get there data, but they only talk about the Japanese numbers. There is no mention of how or where they get their US sales figures from. So I take these numbers with a grain of salt. Hell, I could make a website that says there has only been 5 PS3s sold. Doesn't mean it correct. But it would be as accurate as these guys, since they don't post any information about their sources.

It appears this how they go about getting their US numbers as well as PS3 data flows from Japan seeing how Sony and many other game manufacturers for the PS3 are Japanese companies.

Quote:

VG Charts uses a proprietary system which takes publically available data from the above three trackers along with sales and shipment data released from the game manufacturers in Japan to produce what we feel is the most accurate depiction of the pattern of sales for each title.

At least they explain where their numbers are coming from unlike nexgenwars and other places. Regardless, I posted this information with the statement that it "looks" to have sold over 1 million consoles. I'm not stating it is a definite fact, but indeed as an estimation. We'll know in a couple of weeks for sure...things will get interesting at CES 2007.
  • Reply 2018 of 2106
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

NPD stated not to long ago that the add-on sold 42,000 by the end of November. Pretty abysmal.

There are those that want people to think that less than 5% (< 50,000) will use their PS3s for movies. I just find it amusing. I think the percentage will be around 40% using it for both movies and games with the majority 60% using it just for games. So, IMO, you're looking at 400,000 PS3s used for movies compared to approximately < 100,000 add-ons.

Let the significance of the number of PS3s sold downplaying begin...

The significance of the PS3 shouldn't be downplayed but neither should a product that sells 42k units in 3 weeks. Remember the Xbox HD DVD player was delivered on November 7. I guess it remains to be seen how many PS3 user decide to utilize the Blu-ray features. I certainly wouldn't call it abysmal.

I think people would respect your posts more if you sounded a little less "flaming fanboy" granted I sound like a fanboy as well but I'm not ever going to call 14k players a week "Abysmal" nor will I vociferously deny that the PS3 will have an impact on Blu-ray movie sales.

This war is going to be won or lost by two major things.

1. Studio content

2. Price

If HD DVD doesn't have #1 the better damn sure make sure they are demonstrably better at #2.
  • Reply 2019 of 2106
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Oops.....
  • Reply 2020 of 2106
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

.......... This war is going to be won or lost by two major things.

1. Studio content

2. Price

I think there is a lot more to it than just #1, and #2. Those two help along the way, but I think there are many more things involved in this than those two. Because sometime within the next 6 months the both #1, and #2 will be probably be equal and #1, and #2 will be oblivious. THese are probably individual to you.

What is individual to me are things like:

Seeing full seasons of 24 in HD, and other TV shows on a single disk. Starwars 1 - 6 on a single disk. Lord of the rings extended versions 1- 3 on a single disk "with extras", Pirates of the Carabean 1 - 3 with extras on Single disk, and so on.

I think blu ray is the only one with enough capacity to accomplish any of those. Personally that's why I like the BR format.