Next MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    Drop-in solid state storage is here; let's just hope the prices drop as well.

12"? I don't know; seems like a huge market— did someone have some analysis on how well the 12" PowerBook did during and after its introduction— I don't think Apple breaks down their mobile numbers by model, or do they?
  • Reply 42 of 95
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    965m chipset

Socket P Merom

possible upgrade to GeForce Go 8600 (G83M) if released.
  • Reply 43 of 95
    b3ns0nb3ns0n Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

is there any doubt that I didn't get A's in English class?

If you didn't insert rogue apostrophes you might have got As, though
  • Reply 44 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b3ns0n View Post

If you didn't insert rogue apostrophes you might have got As, though

"Might have got?" Surely you didn't got? Hehe.

Anyway, I hinted earlier that perhaps we won't see a new chipset (Santa Rosa), until March, and a new processor until late 2007. Unless things have changed, that seems to be the course.
  • Reply 45 of 95
    Yes, "might have got", in this sentence synonymous to "might have attained" or even "might have achieved".

"Got" is the correct past participle in British english for the verb "to get". The past participle is then used with "have" as an auxillary verb to form the perfect tense phrase, "you might have got".

On topic, having been using my MBP extensively, in terms of design it's very good to live with. I really would only change the latch (to magnetic) and ease-of-access for internal components.
  • Reply 46 of 95
    What's this antiquated "British English"?

Wouldn't "gotten" be more accurate usage (past participle is not the relevant issue here)? I mean, in this context it means "had obtained As" (gotten), vs. "actually had As" (got). And, it's a first conditional past-perfect, technically speaking. Not that I'm an English major or anything.

From Gotten vs. Got:

If one is simply speaking of the acquisition of something, for instance, rather than the current possession, one says I've gotten ..... in AmE since I've got implies that one still has it, and therefore focusses on the current Possession rather than the Perfective acquisition.

But since I'm splicing hairs at this point, I'll move on.

I really think there may be a refresh of some sort in the next few months; with the Core 2 Duo and Santa Rosa chipsets, I imagine those would be coming now that Apple has since (thankfully) abandoned the PowerPC platform.

Intel chips have opened up a world of possibilities, further than Unix even had for the platform. Amazing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by b3ns0n View Post

Yes, "might have got", in this sentence synonymous to "might have attained" or even "might have achieved".

"Got" is the correct past participle in British english for the verb "to get". The past participle is then used with "have" as an auxillary verb to form the perfect tense phrase, "you might have got".

On topic, having been using my MBP extensively, in terms of design it's very good to live with. I really would only change the latch (to magnetic) and ease-of-access for internal components.

• Reply 47 of 95
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    got and gotten are alternative spellings. They're perfectly interchangeable.
  • Reply 48 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Yes, thanks!

I'm in the UK and the article you cited is talking about American english, so that is, perhaps, where our differences lie. To rest with it indeed.

I keep thinking to myself how pointless it is that Apple hasn't put Conroe in the iMac, but in the context of this thread, there is one definite upside to it; MBPs will continue to feel even better value for money.
  • Reply 49 of 95
    Well, like I said, I ain't no way no English major no how.

So, I think we see one new form factor, and a speed bump this year. Maybe a redesign.

…hehe, that's got to be the broadest, vaguest statement ever.
  • Reply 50 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Unlike inserting unnecessary apostrophes before pluralizing a noun by adding an "s," which is never necessary nor correct.
  • Reply 51 of 95
    Quote:

When it comes to storage, it's rather upsetting that Toshiba is making 100GB 1.8" drives now and yet when it comes to a MBP, we're not even at 300GB internal storage yet, much less 500GB or 750GB drives that would be more appropriate given that more and more professionals are using high definition camcorders and high megapixel cameras that use up far more space than prior generations.

While everyone seems focused on CPU, GPU, and RAM inside the MBP, the slowest part of the whole system in terms of growth is the HD. I hope Apple works seriously to address internal storage in future MBP's.

In other news, it appears that LG is producing laptop OLED screens using less power than their LED counterparts. Perhaps we'll see Apple embrace this technology.

Do some research bub. The largest 2.5" drives on the market are 160 GB. Its not Apples job to defy the laws of physics to meet your needs. Theres only so much space on a 2.5" drive platter. OLED screens are no where near ready for laptops. The colors are not as vivid as LCD and the life of the screens is not long enough to meet the lifespan of a laptop. In cell phones and MP3 players they are fine b/c most people only keep these devices for 2 or 3 years before replacing them. The next tech that will be introduced is probably LED backlighting.
  • Reply 52 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

Do some research bub. The largest 2.5" drives on the market are 160 GB. Its not Apples job to defy the laws of physics to meet your needs. Theres only so much space on a 2.5" drive platter. OLED screens are no where near ready for laptops. The colors are not as vivid as LCD and the life of the screens is not long enough to meet the lifespan of a laptop. In cell phones and MP3 players they are fine b/c most people only keep these devices for 2 or 3 years before replacing them. The next tech that will be introduced is probably LED backlighting.

Thanks for the "bub" comment. The truth of the matter is that Gizmodo ran an article on the 11th of December titled, "Honey, I Shrunk the 300GB Drive: Fujitsu 2.5-Inch Disk Packs It In". Suffice it to say, 300GB provides substantially more elbow room than the 160GB you quoted. With Apple working so hard to provide us not only music, but TV shows, and movies as well, they'd better start thinking about their primary limitation - their ability to actually store such things on one of their products and not on some external drive.

As for the OLED comment, from what I've read thus far, consensus shows that OLED technology is still in its infancy. I agree with your comment that it appears, from certain sources, this technology is not a lasting one in terms of usability. I was merely indicating that LG had already produced a laptop with said technology. It may appear that the hurdles of old have been sufficently resolved.
  • Reply 53 of 95
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Thanks for the "bub" comment. The truth of the matter is that Gizmodo ran an article on the 11th of December titled, "Honey, I Shrunk the 300GB Drive: Fujitsu 2.5-Inch Disk Packs It In". Suffice it to say, 300GB provides substantially more elbow room than the 160GB you quoted. With Apple working so hard to provide us not only music, but TV shows, and movies as well, they'd better start thinking about their primary limitation - their ability to actually store such things on one of their products and not on some external drive.

As for the OLED comment, from what I've read thus far, consensus shows that OLED technology is still in its infancy. I agree with your comment that it appears, from certain sources, this technology is not a lasting one in terms of usability. I was merely indicating that LG had already produced a laptop with said technology. It may appear that the hurdles of old have been sufficently resolved.

You're confusing "on the market" with "in the lab".
  • Reply 54 of 95
    apple offers a 200gb hd for the macbooks when buying....it's a 4200rpm though
  • Reply 55 of 95
    Agreed - my Powerbook G4-800 80 GB HD has just filled up (ugh) after replacing the crashed 60 GB that came with it a few months ago. I'm no filmmaker, but photos tend to fill up whatever space you put them in (I've got about 9,000 after 5 years of digital photo-taking - I'm sure I'm not on the extreme end of the curve, either.)

I've noticed that 160 GB drives are relatively common now, and I wouldn't settle for less. But if I'm going to upgrade to a new computer (which I'm considering doing - as my PB G4 seems to be getting just a bit slow - to a MBP Core Duo 2) I want the hard drive size at least doubled. As someone else said, the primary limitation when you're getting into this whole media center/computer thing (TV, music, photos) is the hard drive. I want my external hard drive to be for backup, not primary storage.

I guess hard drives are still more expensive than we'd like. We know Apple is ultra-conscious of their price points, and they try to cram as much stuff in before increasing them, so hard drives seem to have quietly taken a back seat to other features.

I'll ignore the "bub" comment because I get my "research" here.
  • Reply 56 of 95
    So I waited until MWSF to see if there would be a new release and it still makes no difference to me whether I get one for another month or so. It's sounding like it won't be until june until there is an upgrade (Santa Rosa). Is this a correct assesment or if I waited a month is there any signifigant likely hood of missing a release? I'll typically use a computer 6-7 years before an upgrade; my g4 tower is just about on its final legs, but still usable. I know the whole buy it if you need it argument, basically I'll need it in a month and a half when I start a media project. Get it now or wait?
  • Reply 57 of 95
    Not only should Apple focus on putting in larger hard drives, but drive speed wouldn't hurt either. A 200 GB hard drive at 4,200 RPM is nothing impressive, not to mention it only comes in the 17'' MBP.

Here's what i would like to see in the 15''

140 GB 7,200 RPM - Stock

180 GB 7,200 RPM - Upgrade option

220 GB 5,400 RPM - Upgrade option

The only 7,200 RPM drive Apple offers in a laptop is the 100GB in the 17'' model. That is totally ridiculous considering that they offer a 80GB iPod.

100 GB HD - Music/Video - Formatting =
  • Reply 58 of 95
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yukon View Post

So I waited until MWSF to see if there would be a new release and it still makes no difference to me whether I get one for another month or so. It's sounding like it won't be until june until there is an upgrade (Santa Rosa). Is this a correct assesment or if I waited a month is there any signifigant likely hood of missing a release? I'll typically use a computer 6-7 years before an upgrade; my g4 tower is just about on its final legs, but still usable. I know the whole buy it if you need it argument, basically I'll need it in a month and a half when I start a media project. Get it now or wait?

Are you looking for a laptop? I assume so given the theme of the thread, but you are replacing a desktop so...

If you lookin for a laptop I would go ahead and get one now. Santa Rosa will be a nice bump up but not worth waiting for IMO. The current MBPs are very capable. If you are looking foe a desktop I would wait a little while longer and keep an eye on AI as the Mac Pro could be going octo core soon.
  • Reply 59 of 95
    What are the chances that the next iterative release of the Macbook Pro will have a solid-state hard drive? That would certainly be something worth waiting for, don't you think?

When are we expecting these? Would June be too soon?
  • Reply 60 of 95
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    I'm just waiting now a bit; I just missed by a month or so the Core Duo to the Core 2 Duo upgrade when I bought a new MBP 15" so was a little bummed out by that; I think my next leap will wait until I see some of those iPhone technologies in either my laptop or in a desktop configuration.