Cingular stores buzzing with iPhone inquiries

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

How long will it take for Apple to buy out and build up it's own network... hmm... oh, Google!

Remember last year Apple purchased some huge data centers that had everyone scratching their heads. Now knowing the iPhone has been in development for 2+ years...I could see this happening!
  • Reply 42 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman View Post

Remember last year Apple purchased some huge data centers that had everyone scratching their heads. Now knowing the iPhone has been in development for 2+ years...I could see this happening!

Look what Apple did with Motorola. They let Moto build a crummy phone and they learned from it. Now, they'll find out everything from Cingular, then cut their legs out from under them. I'm tellin' ya, Steve is cleverer than ever. Cingular has no vision and no long view of their business like Apple does.
  • Reply 43 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

How long will it take for Apple to buy out and build up it's own network... hmm... oh, Google!

I guess Apple has no plans to become an MVNO as long as the current and future carriers agree to improve things where Jobs sees fit. He may be a the Hitler of Technology, but I like his vision. Does that make me an iNazi.
  • Reply 44 of 82
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,745member
    Could Apple buy Cingular?
  • Reply 45 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Could Apple buy Cingular?

You tell me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cingular_Wireless

PS:"AT&T Wireless merger

After a bidding war with Britain's Vodafone PLC, Cingular announced in February, 2004 that it would purchase AT&T Wireless for 41 billion dollars.

AT&T Wireless logo

Cingular Wireless logo

The merger was completed on October 26, 2004. The combined company had a customer base of 46 million people, which placed Cingular as the largest wireless provider in the United States.

Cingular has launched a high-speed network known as "BroadbandConnect," based on UMTS and High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA), to counter Verizon Wireless and Sprint's EV-DO networks. UMTS service was launched on December 6, 2005 in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, San Jose, San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Austin, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, Boston, Baltimore and Washington D.C. Cingular is expected to launch UMTS in all major metropolitan markets by the end of 2006."
  • Reply 46 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You tell me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cingular_Wireless

PS:"AT&T Wireless merger

After a bidding war with Britain's Vodafone PLC, Cingular announced in February, 2004 that it would purchase AT&T Wireless for 41 billion dollars.

AT&T Wireless logo

Cingular Wireless logo

The merger was completed on October 26, 2004. The combined company had a customer base of 46 million people, which placed Cingular as the largest wireless provider in the United States.

Cingular has launched a high-speed network known as "BroadbandConnect," based on UMTS and High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA), to counter Verizon Wireless and Sprint's EV-DO networks. UMTS service was launched on December 6, 2005 in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, San Jose, San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Austin, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, Boston, Baltimore and Washington D.C. Cingular is expected to launch UMTS in all major metropolitan markets by the end of 2006."

Perhaps not! Well, it reads like Steve cozied up to a friendly Gorilla
  • Reply 47 of 82
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My concern is over battery life. Some of you have mentioned that 4GGB/8GB on the iPhone was necessitated by the need to use the less power-hungry flash drives as in the Nano.

But the new Nanos with the flash drive give me 20+ hours of battery life.

I supposedly get 5 hours of video time (or 12+ hours of audio time) on my 60GB iPod with video (Apple's claim; actual life is a bit less).

So, the question is, why am I getting only the equivalent of my spinning HD-based battery life on a flash-based product? Is it perhaps that Apple is finally being honest on this issue? What else is sucking up all the extra battery life on the iPhone?

The iPhone is supposed to get 16 hours of audio time. That's less than the 20 hours but it does have a much nicer touch screen.

The 5 hours of talk time is at the high end of the cell industry. A friend of mine who used to work for Nokia on power mgmt said if true, it would be outstanding.
  • Reply 48 of 82
    I hope it has a way to record phone conversations. I know many softphones have this feature, but does any current smartphone have this feature?
  • Reply 49 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I hope it has a way to record phone conversations. I know many softphones have this feature, but does any current smartphone have this feature?

Yeah, it needs Ovolab's software.
  • Reply 50 of 82
    I wonder if you can just just keep converging calls among other iPhones? How many conversations can we daisy chain before we bring down Cingular's network?
  • Reply 51 of 82
    haha i think u can only merge 2 calls together...but maybe im wrong
  • Reply 52 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

haha i think u can only merge 2 calls together...but maybe im wrong

Per phone, but the second caller would only have one outgoing call so if he got another call he could merge them like Jobs did with his incoming call.
  • Reply 53 of 82
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is Windows Mobile really closed? I knew a couple people that programmed for it using the regular Visual Studio bundle, no secret society, no hazing, nothing special.

As I said they SELL THE IDE...it is called VS2005, in the high end package, it has a mobile dev tool.

Closed, the way that I read it here, and in the way that Palm, Windows Mobile and Blackberry are closed, means that there will be no open sister project, no Darwin Mobile...that is perfectly understandable, you cant have people f---ing with the firmware that drives their new $600 toy that they pay $$$/Mo for and has to stay within certin FCC regulations...(Example: Apple does not want someone to mod the firmware to triple the signal output, thus violating FCC policy and making the device illegal.)
  • Reply 54 of 82
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

As I said they SELL THE IDE...it is called VS2005, in the high end package, it has a mobile dev tool.

Closed, the way that I read it here, means that there will be no open sister project, no Darwin Mobile...that is perfectly understandable, you cant have people f---ing with the firmware that drives their new $600 toy that they pay $$$/Mo for and has to stay within certin FCC regulations...(Example: Apple does not want someone to mod the firmware to triple the signal output, thus violating FCC policy and making the device illegal.)

OK, then I guess you have a very different definition then. I see "closed" as in you have to get the device maker's permission to even get the software on the device period, assuming they let anyone near it, and assuming they do, pay said maker for every copy sold after signing some self-flaggelating contract.

That's too common and I would not be at all surprised to see Apple do that. For example, there is no authorized SDK available for iPods at any price that I'm aware of, and they may very well continue that particular legacy. Frankly, I really don't think Newsweek had a situation like OpenDarwin in mind when asking about the openness of the platform. At any rate, we'll have to wait for some sort of clarification.
  • Reply 55 of 82
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,736member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

i agree with everything you have said auxio, except that last part, i guess Job's said it will be closed app on newsweek

oh, ok, i didn't know that. i guess he wants to try and keep the interface as elegant as possible. however, i'm of the opinion that if people really want to clutter their phone up with extra apps, you should let them. just don't allow the apps to be integrated into the main workings of the phone (ie. making the phone unstable).

Quote:

but he did say that widgets will become the future of apps and most things should be created on widgets

i hope he's talking about the phone and not Mac OS X in general.

from my perspective, widgets are just glorified web applications, and not every app in the world fits well through the web browser orifice... err... interface.

Quote:

and he also said that if third parties did want to create products, they would have to go through apple and have permission along with a Q&A time about the software...at least everything will be clean and not buggy on the phone, my Dash has a lot of things i put on myself and the phone now works half the time..kind of sucks

that sucks (the part about having to work with Apple). can't they just make the environment in which 3rd party apps/widgets run protected so that the apps can't possibly mess up the main workings of the phone? and if developers need to integrate their apps more tightly with the phone hardware or OS, then they'll need to contact Apple about it?

i mean, consider if people want to develop games and such. most phone OSes nowadays just force them to use Java or a similar type of sandbox. if it's shoddily written, then it'll simply defecate in it's own sandbox and not affect anything else on the system.

that's the way to go IMO. it's strange that Apple isn't going in that direction. maybe the dev environment isn't ready yet?
  • Reply 56 of 82
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

from my perspective, widgets are just glorified web applications, and not every app in the world fits well through the web browser orifice... err... interface.

Ick. Widgets have their place, though I wish they were easier to kill and start up, for being the biggest waste of RAM I've seen for offering so little functionality per widget, from first or third party. Given the device involved, widget-type software probably should be more prominent, but I just don't see them as a universal substitute for an app.

Quote:

that's the way to go IMO. it's strange that Apple isn't going in that direction. maybe the dev environment isn't ready yet?

I'm hoping it's this, but I'm not feeling optimistic that it will happen.
  • Reply 57 of 82
    I read an article by NYTimes just now, the editor handled the phone for about an hour asked lots of questions. Apple told them that the software is not ready at all there is much more to be added until release day, so im going to guess a lot more features that we could fathom will be on the iPhone. I beleive more is to come on these phones software-wise and even after launch date i think a lot of surprises will pop up that will magically let you place on your phone through itunes, and through updates through mac (kind of like how your computer and its applications check for updates daily). Gonna be great times for Apple
  • Reply 58 of 82
    Quote:

Ick. Widgets have their place, though I wish they were easier to kill and start up, for being the biggest waste of RAM I've seen for offering so little functionality per widget, from first or third party.

Widgets take up like 1 or 2 MB RAM each. What a waste :/
  • Reply 59 of 82
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My concern is over battery life. Some of you have mentioned that 4GGB/8GB on the iPhone was necessitated by the need to use the less power-hungry flash drives as in the Nano.

So, the question is, why am I getting only the equivalent of my spinning HD-based battery life on a flash-based product? Is it perhaps that Apple is finally being honest on this issue? What else is sucking up all the extra battery life on the iPhone?

WiFi and Bluetooth suck a lot of power. Also, when the cell phone radio is in operation and talking to the towers, it also sucks a lot of power. Most current cell phones can remain in standby mode for days, but continous talk time is usually in the 5 to 8 hour range.
  • Reply 60 of 82
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Quote:

Is Windows Mobile really closed? I knew a couple people that programmed for it using the regular Visual Studio bundle, no secret society, no hazing, nothing special.

Considering that the iPod now supports games made by other developers, I don't think that the iPhone will be totally closed. However, if this article about developing iPod games is relatively accurate, Apple doesn't necessarily make it easy for developers for their embedded OSes.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/09...ipod/index.php