Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 1101 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

you're very welcome!

BTW, Happy B-Day Murch!.... So, new A2 is B-day present for yourself?

No such luck yet but definitely soon.

The Matrix Collection is coming on May 22nd!!!

http://www.homemediaretailing.com/ne...ticle_ID=10426

I'm MOST happy! Night all.
  • Reply 1102 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

No such luck yet but definitely soon.

The Matrix Collection is coming on May 22nd!!!

http://www.homemediaretailing.com/ne...ticle_ID=10426

I'm MOST happy! Night all.

As expected, due to IME(In Movie Experience) via HDi/BD-J, The Matrix will be HD-DVD exclusive for now. I think Harry Potter and newly released 300 will also follow the same route due to IME not being capable via BD standalone players. I'm glad that Warner is no longer waiting for finalized BD-J for these exciting title releases authored with IME.
  • Reply 1103 of 4650
    ooh.. sorry im late, but Happy Birthday Murch

there may well be differences of opinion, but this thread would be really dull without them
  • Reply 1104 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

ooh.. sorry im late, but Happy Birthday Murch

there may well be differences of opinion, but this thread would be really dull without them

Thanks Trend! I agree totally.

Well I'm happy to see a Megahit coming to HD DVD. $119 IMO is nothing here for 8 discs of HD Matrix and copious extras. I hope the Blu-ray version is only a couple of months behind. I'd rather see the Trilogy sell like gangbusters than to gloat about it's exclusivity.

Toshiba...Warner....advertise this freakin series like no other. It's time to spearhead some forward progress.
  • Reply 1105 of 4650
    Neil Thompson, head of Xbox in the UK, said: "The Xbox 360 offers a better gaming experience than PS3 for £150 less."

He added: "The only debate is if you want to watch Blu-ray movies and pay the extra money for that feature

Microsoft sells a HD-DVD player add-on for Xbox, which plays high definition movies in a rival format.

Mr Thompson said it did not matter which high definition DVD video system wins the format war.

"Whatever format wins it is highly likely we will offer a solution," he said.

i know some of you may have already heard/read similar, but i find that last line says a LOT

Linky
  • Reply 1106 of 4650
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

. . . the difference between 37" vs. 60" is the allowable optimal viewing distance. For example, If optimal viewing distance for 37" is 2.5 to 5 ft, then 60" would allow 3 to 9 ft.

I realize you used the word 'if" in your example, but your viewing distances seem skewed for viewing too close, in my opinion. Your near viewing distance might be optimal for someone who is nearly blind, but those with normal vision would likely double that distance.

I'm curious how others feel about this, however. What is optimal distance. Likely, we have become accustomed to watching at too great a distance because large screen TVs have not been available until recently. Here is what I think is optimal, with acceptable viewing up to twice these distances:

32 inch -- 4 feet

37 inch -- 5 feet

46 inch -- 6 feet

60 inch -- 8 feet

What do you think?

• Reply 1107 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    The "optimal" distance is usually not the distance people watch at. They watch at whatever distance their living room demands, i.e. the distance between couch and television, usually with coffee table in between. In most cases, that's 8 feet or more. Very few people have an Archie Bunker-type living room with a recliner directly in front of a TV.
  • Reply 1108 of 4650
    viewing distance calculator HERE scroll down a bit
  • Reply 1109 of 4650
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

I realize you used the word 'if" in your example, but your viewing distances seem skewed for viewing too close, in my opinion. Your near viewing distance might be optimal for someone who is nearly blind, but those with normal vision would likely double that distance.

I'm curious how others feel about this, however. What is optimal distance. Likely, we have become accustomed to watching at too great a distance because large screen TVs have not been available until recently. Here is what I think is optimal, with acceptable viewing up to twice these distances:

32 inch -- 4 feet

37 inch -- 5 feet

46 inch -- 6 feet

60 inch -- 8 feet

What do you think?

http://www.tid.es/documentos/boletin/numero6_4.pdf

2 studies on preferred viewing distances. There is also a BBC one I have not seen.

The smaller the screen the further (in terms of screen height) that folks wanted to sit.

"The tests show that the viewing distance preferences to image height decrease as picture size increases. This applies both to still and moving pictures. It could be envisaged that these results are influenced by home viewing habits. However, if this were true,the measured absolute distances should be centered around a fixed value of about 2 to 3 m, which perhaps represents the average domestic TV viewing distance. Conversely, as can be derived from Fig. 14, the measured absolute distance varies linearly with the dimension of the screen, ranging from a few centimeters with small displays to several meters for the large screen. This shows alittle carryover of home viewing habits that affects the results of the measurements."

There is additional info here (page 4):

http://www.dii.unisi.it/~menegaz/Doc..._BT.500-11.pdf

Vinea
  • Reply 1110 of 4650
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

This one I saw somewhere once and bookmarked:

http://home1.gte.net/res18h39/calculator.htm

Vinea
  • Reply 1111 of 4650
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Thanks, I bookmarked that handy website. For my situation, at 8 feet, I should have a 60 inch HDTV. I have a 32 inch, which is all I could afford. If prices drop low enough in a few years I'll get a big one, and put the 32 inch in another room.

• Reply 1112 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    I hope you guys realize that the given optimal/recommended viewing distance per size of screen also comes with bold disclaimer " YMMV". I'm sure that the trending of the viewing affect with screen size and distance relationship would result a relative trend, but absolute distance is depending on individual's ability to see. In most cases of clinical testing related to living organism, the allowable error bar would be close to +/- 50% of mean. Which means that recommended distance of 8 feet would come with +/- 4ft varriable which would range from 4 to 12ft as a optimal/recommended distance. Hence, your mileage may vary and there is no absolute distance that works for everyone.
  • Reply 1113 of 4650
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:

I hope you guys realize that the given optimal/recommended viewing distance per size of screen also comes with bold disclaimer " YMMV". I'm sure that the trending of the viewing affect with screen size and distance relationship would result a relative trend, but absolute distance is depending on individual's ability to see. In most cases of clinical testing related to living organism, the allowable error bar would be close to +/- 50% of mean. Which means that recommended distance of 8 feet would come with +/- 4ft varriable which would range from 4 to 12ft as a optimal/recommended distance. Hence, your mileage may vary and there is no absolute distance that works for everyone.

It also depends on what you're used to. I had a 36" Sony CRT (HD) and from about 8 feet it was fine. Of course, now I'm used to a 42" plasma from like 4-6 feet.
  • Reply 1114 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    5 Reasons to Why Blu-ray Disc is the High Definition Format of Choice:

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...hp?startpage=6

What do the Top Animated and the Top Live-Action Filmmakers have in Common?

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...p?startpage=14
  • Reply 1115 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Bad links
  • Reply 1116 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

Thanks, I bookmarked that handy website. For my situation, at 8 feet, I should have a 60 inch HDTV. I have a 32 inch, which is all I could afford. If prices drop low enough in a few years I'll get a big one, and put the 32 inch in another room.

mines a 50" viewed from 8 feet, its nice, and still takes getting used to from a "WOW that IS big" point of view, but to be honest you really adjust very quickly ... couldnt (Realistically) afford anything bigger, but in the next 5-6 years i hope to go 60 plus ... unless there is some new ULTRA high rez disc format on the horizon

glad the link was useful
  • Reply 1117 of 4650
    Quote:

where did you copy and paste that mouthful from??

did you check the link i posted? its based on RECOMENDED SMPTE, THX and Fully resolved (1080i) HDTV.

the word recomended would IMPLY YMMV...imo wouldnt it

TTFN
  • Reply 1118 of 4650
    oh yeah, and third post in a row

i DIDNT get in line for a PS3 today! ... i just weighed up the cash in one hand (figuratively) and thought "NO...not YET" i can wait a few more weeks and see what conspires.

this has nothing to do with Blu-ray movie formats, more the (lack of)GAMES!(im interested in) i had the mini hooked up via HDMI mid week, and downloaded some HiDef trailers n things.. WOW so im definatly keen on some HD goodness ... no cable or satellite monthly payments for me!

mmm... just had a thought... im waiting on new mac hardware to come out...and HAD been waiting on the PS3... i bet you the day and hour i buy a PS3 Apple will release new hardware and i will have spent the cash already.

still, not much to complain about
  • Reply 1119 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Bad links

Mah bad!

Here they are again guys...

• Reply 1120 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Mah bad!

Here they are again guys...

#1&2 are rather redundant. If you have 7/8 major studios then of course you're going to have more movies.

#3 references 7 hardware providers.

Toshiba, Microsoft, HP, Alco/Venturer, ED Digital, Onkyo, Meridian, Lite-on for HD DVD aren't slouches either

#4 and 5 are marketing blather.