Comments

• Reply 61 of 280
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 62 of 280
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is that why the MacBook is thicker and heavier than the MacBook Pro?

Thought you had me for a minute, but?

The MacBook Pro at 1" X 14.1" X 9.6" is just a little more than 12 cubic inches larger than the MacBook at 1.08" X 12.78" X 8.92"

Obviously, the MacBook would have the same issue as the Pro. And my suggestion that a quarter of an inch thicker (or and additional 34 cubic inches) may not be so out of line to suffice the necessary hardware to satisfy the required configuration.
  • Reply 63 of 280
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shiato storm View Post

cheeky f*ckers...they've wacked in two 1Gb Ram modules rather than one 2Gb module. so any upgrade to 4Gb will mean ditching those 1Gb's...great. bit of a waste huh.

It makes sense to me. Compare the price of 2 x 1GB (~US$70-80 total) vs 1 x 2GB (~US$110-120). US$40 may not seem like much, but it would be a decent percentage of their margin on the overall hardware package.

Besides, Apple, like most PC OEMs, has always gouged on RAM upgrades, milking insane margins from folks who don't shop around or are too lazy/nervous about installing RAM themselves.
  • Reply 64 of 280
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giaotze View Post

Do you guys think there will be another HW refresh when the Leopard comes up in October?

My guess is not til Macworld (Jan 2008). This is a pretty beefy upgrade already. Only reasonable thing missing is Robson. (Blu-ray would have been nice, but obviously unrealistic in the moment.)
  • Reply 65 of 280
    blingemblingem Posts: 94member
    Whats the concensus on the glossy screen? How can they have such a deep discount on it? It must not have LED? Isn't glossy supposedly better anyways (The apple store seems to say so)? Brighter colors, etc.??
  • Reply 66 of 280
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blingem View Post

Whats the concensus on the glossy screen? How can they have such a deep discount on it? It must not have LED? Isn't glossy supposedly better anyways (The apple store seems to say so)? Brighter colors, etc.??

look at post #50
  • Reply 67 of 280
    So, given this update there doesn't seem to be alot of difference between the MB and MBP except design (size, LED screen) and GPU? I mean, assuming I get the RAM upgrade....

Grrr, what to buy for a soon-to-be grad student? (who meddles in webpage building/photoshop, and wants to keep this computer forever and ever)....any suggestions to tip one way or another?
  • Reply 68 of 280
    rickr10rickr10 Posts: 40member
    I'm getting ready to place an order now. I just have two questions.

Memory: Apple's memory is expensive. I want to max it out at 4 gigs so what memory do I get? What type of memory do I buy? Is it the same memory that the previous C2D mac used?

Hard Drive: I really want the 200 gig hard drive but performance is important to me. Is there a big speed decrease in the 200 gig hard drive since it's 4200 vs. 5400rpm? If so I'm staying with 160 gigs but my second question then is is there a big performance jump going up to the 160 gig 7200 rpm drive?
  • Reply 69 of 280
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Thought you had me for a minute, but…

The MacBook Pro at 1" X 14.1" X 9.6" is just a little more than 12 cubic inches larger than the MacBook at 1.08" X 12.78" X 8.92"

Obviously, the MacBook would have the same issue as the Pro. And my suggestion that a quarter of an inch thicker (or and additional 34 cubic inches) may not be so out of line to suffice the necessary hardware to satisfy the required configuration.

The site's claim that the MBP is 1" thick is probably a round-down, just like the previous revisions. The 17" and 15" models were also 1.08" thick even when claimed to be 1" thick.
  • Reply 70 of 280
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Just the other day everyone was bitching about how they need to put anything but the 1600 in the macbook pros. Today when they replace them, everyone is bitching about something else.

So what if it doesnt run of hydrogen or have 8 cores or have an 8800. Cant anyone be happy for once?

The same thing happened with the iPhone. everyone just wanted it to come out and when it did everyone stared complaining about its memory or no 3g.

Some people just expect too much.
  • Reply 71 of 280
    Quote:

So, given this update there doesn't seem to be alot of difference between the MB and MBP except design (size, LED screen) and GPU? I mean, assuming I get the RAM upgrade....

Grrr, what to buy for a soon-to-be grad student? (who meddles in webpage building/photoshop, and wants to keep this computer forever and ever)....any suggestions to tip one way or another?

if money is not an issue, get the MacBook Pro for sure, just an amazing experience which is a bit nicer than the MacBook; however, if you are on a budget (as i currently am) the MacBook is great, i am a proud MacBook owner. It's a great computer.
  • Reply 72 of 280
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Well, I think it really comes down to one thing. How much do you care about this grad student?

I think the screen size is the big item. Will they want a bigger screen, or a smaller book for hauling around? Are they going to be embarrassed by a white or black notebook? Or is the sturdier casing (who cares if you scratch plastic, but scratch the MBP? OhNo!) a bigger deal.

Too bad Apple doesn't have a 15" in a MacBook case, or a 12" MBP. But, hey, I guess we should be happy they have black now.
  • Reply 73 of 280
    palterpalter Posts: 98member
    OK, the new MBP's use Santa Rosa and have the 800MHz front side bus. Apple only claims to support 667MHz memory, however. Crucial sells 800MHZ DDR2-SODIMMs (e.g., $529 for 2 2GB SODIMMs). Anyone know if they'll work?
  • Reply 74 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Well, I think it really comes down to one thing. How much do you care about this grad student?

I think the screen size is the big item. Will they want a bigger screen, or a smaller book for hauling around? Are they going to be embarrassed by a white or black notebook? Or is the sturdier casing (who cares if you scratch plastic, but scratch the MBP? OhNo!) a bigger deal.

Too bad Apple doesn't have a 15" in a MacBook case, or a 12" MBP. But, hey, I guess we should be happy they have black now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

if money is not an issue, get the MacBook Pro for sure, just an amazing experience which is a bit nicer than the MacBook; however, if you are on a budget (as i currently am) the MacBook is great, i am a proud MacBook owner. It's a great computer.

I am the grad student. I would prefer the larger screen, but I'm on a budget. I mean, I COULD pay for it (2250 after student discount and applecare....2400 when I get the 8gb nano and iwork) but i'm really interested in longevity. I want something that will still zip in 4-6 years, play my $h!tloads of music, let me edit my cute little webpage (http://www.users.muohio.edu/lingembr/index1.html) and do photoshop for that purpose. Along with writing lots of papers....general ilife stuff too.
  • Reply 75 of 280
    Quote:

I am the grad student. I would prefer the larger screen, but I'm on a budget. I mean, I COULD pay for it (2250 after student discount and applecare....2400 when I get the 8gb nano and iwork) but i'm really interested in longevity. I want something that will still zip in 4-6 years, play my $h!tloads of music, let me edit my cute little webpage (http://www.users.muohio.edu/lingembr/index1.html) and do photoshop for that purpose. Along with writing lots of papers....general ilife stuff too.

well i think the macbook would be just fine... but if you can, go for the macbook pro, just because the screen size is bigger, but the computer isnt really that much bigger...its hard to explain. but the macbook has enough power and stuff for what you want to do so it really depends on money
  • Reply 76 of 280
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday updated its MacBook Pro line of notebooks with the latest Intel Core 2 Duo processors, memory up to 4GB, LED backlit displays, and high-speed graphics in a lightweight, aluminum enclosure that is just one-inch thin.

Ummm... 1 inchin thin is nothing. Where is the lightweight part? Let's see some stats on this, because Windows laptop makers are schooling Apple on weight.

BTW - this looks just like an Apple press release - not a real analytical look at the new offerings. Cut and paste is not cool, dudes.
  • Reply 77 of 280
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

DEFINITELY go with the MBP; on sturdiness alone it will hold up. I'm just not sure that the 4-6 years in our day and age will keep you going with the external hardware and software world as it changes daily. I do not know about that element, but all my PowerBooks/MacBooks are alive and kicking, and I go ALL the way back. I just don't use the G3 iBook (Japanese model) or the G4 Pismo any more. Once in a while I get out my Sony-build PowerBook 100 just to amaze my skeptical friends...
  • Reply 78 of 280
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The site's claim that the MBP is 1" thick is probably a round-down, just like the previous revisions. The 17" and 15" models were also 1.08" thick even when claimed to be 1" thick.

To be fair: the MacBook Pro (L) 14.0552" X (W) 9.5670" X (H) 1.0197" = 137.1151 cubic inches, which is 15.0980 cu in more than the MacBook.

And your point is?
  • Reply 79 of 280
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palter View Post

OK, the new MBP's use Santa Rosa and have the 800MHz front side bus. Apple only claims to support 667MHz memory, however. Crucial sells 800MHZ DDR2-SODIMMs (e.g., $529 for 2 2GB SODIMMs). Anyone know if they'll work?

From a post I made earlier in a different thread:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

FSB doesn't have much to do with RAM bus speed. You don't have to have 800 MHz DDR RAM to have an 800 MHz FSB. Look at the PowerMac G5, for example: it had an FSB of 1/2 the processor speed (so the 2.5 GHz machines had an FSB of 1.25 GHz) but the RAM speed was 533 or 667 MHz DDR.

• Reply 80 of 280
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

To be fair: the MacBook Pro (L) 14.0552" X (W) 9.5670" X (H) 1.0197" = 137.1151 cubic inches, which is 15.0980 cu in more than the MacBook.

And your point is?

That I'm not sure why you are convinced that making the hard drive easier to to remove would make the device any thicker or heavier.