Next-gen iMacs to bundle new Apple keyboard

Comments

• Reply 161 of 185
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Isn't most of that success due to the iPod though? And a lesser extent the iPhone?

no, that success is due to the widely popular colored computers they released when steve returned. it became as popular as the spice girls... everyone wanted one

after that, the higher quality of their products kept the success going. the way they market them, as "you know you want to buy apple, so buy apple" really works on most people... but customers keep on coming back, and spreading the word, because the products are better than what's out there...
  • Reply 162 of 185
    The original iMac restored Apple's fortunes. A couple years later Apple released the cube and also the handbag/toilet seat shaped ibook. The G3 with blue translucent plastic was fairly hideous as well. None of these products were particularly successful and helped send Apple's share price tumbling.

On the OS side MacOSX wasn't really all that well received by MacOS users - compatibility modes, yellow boxes, dock bars, old style NeXT file explorer etc.. Unix internals are fine, but the elegance was out the window. I seem to remember the classic apple drag and drop didn't even work between apps for a while (bit hazy on this as it's been a few years).

On the CPU side the PowerPC was failing to match Intel/AMD particularly on the laptop side of the market.

Then came the iPod...

To be honest I'm not that interested in music players, iPhone maybe as a portable computer - I'd like to see a bit more of a focus on the computer hardware side.
  • Reply 163 of 185
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I guess I'm one of the few people who really likes the current Mac desktop keyboards. I prefer them to any other keyboard I've tried, especially the ones on the MB and MBP.

Let me set the record straight here. No one knows what the new keyboard will be like. It could be very well just be a redesigned, more low-profile version of the existing Apple keyboard. So let's all not freak out (or not) until the thing arrives.
  • Reply 164 of 185
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

What a complete and utter LIE!

No, I think this is not a lie. Doesn't seem like the right place for this post, but needs to be said. wealljays wrote: "money/wealth comes from the Lord...period."

I think money/wealth does come from God, but so does lack of money/poverty. That is not to say that if you have money that's because you are "good," if you don't have money that's because you're not good. That is just silly.

Add to this that for every blessing, there is a law or rule or commandment that first needs to be obeyed/lived/kept. The people that live by the rule of working hard/smart under the right opportunities generally do get the blessing of wealth/prosperity. Of course everyone has free will, and as a result of some people's misuse of their free will (greed, cheating, oppression, etc.) others who may be good and may have gained more in life, do not. Think of poverty-stricken countries with rich and corrupt government leaders who keep for themselves the blessings entitled to the hard working people. It's all part of the test, as is the duty of those with means to step in and help make right the wrongs being done to others in circumstances such as these.

Any comments I'd love to hear - send me a private message, though, or start another forum topic on this and let me know where it is; I want to keep this thread on track, but had to jump in before opinions/beliefs were misconstrued. Thanks.

(My apology to the uninterested for the interruption)
  • Reply 165 of 185
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

I think money/wealth does come from God,

I wish this higher being, of which you speak, would provided Steve Jobs with the insight to build a Mac keyboard equal to my black keyed, silver background, and clear plastic keyboard I have with my G4. I believe it was called a Mac Professional keyboard. And while he's at it, I need a Mac Pro case the size of my G4, so that I won't need to renovate my computer cabinet.

I assume this higher being already knows what I want because he has already provided me with the money for a new Mac Pro. Now if the higher being would just go ahead and work on Mr. Jobs, then I'll be happy.
  • Reply 166 of 185
    And if he could prove that he exists that'd be great
  • Reply 167 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digiology View Post

And if he could prove that he exists that'd be great

and how would you suggest he do this?
  • Reply 168 of 185
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    You didn't need to upsize the font like that.
  • Reply 169 of 185
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I have no problem with threads getting of topic for a few post or with something tech related but this religious detour needs to stop now.

Start a new AI thread, converse with email or AIM, or hit up a Yahoo! Group on religion
  • Reply 170 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have no problem with threads getting of topic for a few post or with something tech related but this religious detour needs to stop now.

Start a new AI thread, converse with email or AIM, or hit up a Yahoo! Group on religion

Agreed. I for one find the discussion of theology offensive in the context of this thread.
  • Reply 171 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You didn't need to upsize the font like that.

Maybe God did it.
  • Reply 172 of 185
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post

I don't consider myself rich in any way, but it always puzzles me that some people can't seem to afford even a $999 computer, or barely afford it. Get a better job or work harder!

Stop being lazy. If you weren't so lazy, you'd have more money.

And people say Apple fans are arrogant
  • Reply 173 of 185
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

There are some real concerns here, such as what price point these new iMacs will be offered at.

Come now, a company that offers a $600 cell phone and refuses to let the carriers discount it doesnt give a ship about price...If you have to ask about price then you shouldnt buy a Mac
  • Reply 174 of 185
    I went ahead and ordered myself a new Apple keyboard as I actually LIKE the current one ALOT!

I plan on getting a new Mac (dependant on what its like) some time soon, if that turns out to be the iMac then I can check out the keyboard then and toss it if I dont like it.

-

Does god exist?

We should not worship a god that is not omnipotent as they would not then be what constitutes a god.

Assuming god is omnipotent and can do anything, one asks the question "Can she make a rock that is too heavy for her to lift?"

2 possible answers:

1.if she can make the rock and its too heavy for her to lift, then she displays her inability to be omnipotent and cannot be called god.

2: if she makes the rock so that she CAN lift it, then she is also incapable of making a rock that is impossible for her to lift and so again is NOT omnipotent and cannot be called god

Therefore logic proves that god is not omnipotent

So god does not exist.

god will now disapear in a puff of smoke and not be mentioned on this thread again.
  • Reply 175 of 185
    Quote:

Does god exist?

We should not worship a god that is not omnipotent as they would not then be what constitutes a god.

Assuming god is omnipotent and can do anything, one asks the question "Can she make a rock that is too heavy for her to lift?"

2 possible answers:

1.if she can make the rock and its too heavy for her to lift, then she displays her inability to be omnipotent and cannot be called god.

2: if she makes the rock so that she CAN lift it, then she is also incapable of making a rock that is impossible for her to lift and so again is NOT omnipotent and cannot be called god

So god does not exist.

god will now disapear in a puff of smoke and not be mentioned on this thread again.

• Reply 176 of 185
    Quote:

Why the hell would you worship a God that is obsessed with lifting rocks? Anyone with real power outsources manual labor anyway. :-)
  • Reply 177 of 185
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Does god exist?

2 possible answers:

So god does not exist.

It may be that logic is an entirely human construct, and that omnipotence is purely a reflection of our own innate desire.
  • Reply 178 of 185
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Look, I like to argue about religion as much as the next guy, but that's what the AO forum is for.

I vote that the next person to derail with this topic be shipped off the island for a couple of weeks.

With regard to the keyboard, the click-wheel is Apple tech and protected by patents up and down.

Putting it on a keyboard would make for a huge competitive advantage, but I can't quite envision how it would add to the Leopard experience.

Anyone have any mockups?
  • Reply 179 of 185
    Not that I'm being overly critical here, but, is a new keyboard the only thing that excites anyone about a new iMac?

Just cosmetic changes and maybe a new keyboard?

Wow! And to think that I've been waiting for an update to come out. Silly me.

• Reply 180 of 185
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacWannaBe View Post

Not that I'm being overly critical here, but, is a new keyboard the only thing that excites anyone about a new iMac?

Just cosmetic changes and maybe a new keyboard?

Wow! And to think that I've been waiting for an update to come out. Silly me.

Nah. We want the same exact iMac, we just need the new keyboards to look cool.