apple aquires emagic

Comments

• Reply 41 of 109
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    No, it will still appear on the software page of Apple.com, but instead of "Apple FCP," it will be "Emagic Logic Audio"

It can easily fit onto <a href="http://www.apple.com/software/"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/software/</a>; . . . go check it out. "Professional DVD, Video, and Film [and now Audio]" :cool:
  • Reply 42 of 109
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Thanks sizzle chest - good post. It cleared up a few things for me.

[quote] <strong>I had been leaning toward upgrading Digital Performer as soon as the OSX version came out, and now I'll certainly wait and see what comes from Emagic/Apple. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Same here.
  • Reply 43 of 109
    Frankly, Apple doesn't have a great track record w/ its wholly-owned subsidiaries. Not that the products haven't been good, BUT they haven't exactly turned out to be dominating apps. Their Apple-branded i/Pro strategy, OTOH, has been extremely successful.

I figure/hope/suspect, therefore, that they will "split the difference": bring Logic Gold and Platinum "in-house" as 'iMusic', and 'Audio Pro', and letting eMagic continue to write, make & sell their other hardware and software offerings.
  • Reply 44 of 109
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>Just because Emagic remains a distinct entity & brand, doesn't mean they're completely autonomous from Apple.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, they can't really, can they? If they are "wholly owned", then that means that.

I have no doubt that the eMagic BRAND will remain - at least for a time, but their independence from Apple is entirely at Apple's discretion.
  • Reply 45 of 109
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member

<strong>

There are also features there on Digidesign and Steinberg. Just because Apple bought Emagic doesn't mean they want to eradicate these other companies completely. I'm sure they'd love it if Logic took a position in the audio/midi market similar to their position with FCP in the DV market, but if actually benefits Apple if Digi/Steinberg/MOTU keep making products for the Mac.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I sure hope they don't take the same position as FCP. FCP at this point is not the highest-end of the high-end for motion graphics, while Logic is really in a league of it's own. That's why this is so unbelievable. Emagic and Logic are extremely important in the audio world, from home to the best-equipt studios.
  • Reply 46 of 109
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    [quote]Originally posted by giant:

<strong>

I sure hope they don't take the same position as FCP. FCP at this point is not the highest-end of the high-end for motion graphics, while Logic is really in a league of it's own. That's why this is so unbelievable. Emagic and Logic are extremely important in the audio world, from home to the best-equipt studios.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I know! Isn't it great!
  • Reply 47 of 109
    disinedisine Posts: 6member
    Interesting that eMagic is also in the hardware business including several USB audio interfaces. How far will Apple go with this? Apple branded digital <a href="http://www.emagic.de/english/products/logic/control/control1.html"; target="_blank">eMagic mixing boards</a> anyone?
  • Reply 48 of 109
    [quote]Originally posted by disine:

<strong>Interesting that eMagic is also in the hardware business including several USB audio interfaces. How far will Apple go with this? Apple branded digital <a href="http://www.emagic.de/english/products/logic/control/control1.html"; target="_blank">eMagic mixing boards</a> anyone?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's not a mixing board. It's the Logic Control
  • Reply 49 of 109
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    Not only that, I believe Emagic outsources their Logic control to an outside manufacturer.
  • Reply 50 of 109

<strong>Not only that, I believe Emagic outsources their Logic control to an outside manufacturer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

mackie I believe
  • Reply 51 of 109
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    If EMagic is as big as you all say it is, then it's a smart move on Apple's part NOT to dissolve the brand/product names and roll them into i/Pro apps. Keeping the EMagic name around will be a mark of familiarity to all those pro audio users out there.

It was probably much easier to dissolve the brands of Apple's previous buyouts because they were not particularly entrenched in their respective industries. Of course, there would be pros and cons to each approach.
  • Reply 52 of 109

<strong>

mackie I believe</strong><hr></blockquote>

I almost said that, but I thought Mackie did the MOTU work surface that's coming out soon. Maybe they're doing both.
  • Reply 53 of 109

<strong>

I almost said that, but I thought Mackie did the MOTU work surface that's coming out soon. Maybe they're doing both.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's wild. I just looked it up, and <a href="http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=763"; target="_blank">sonicstate</a> has that picture of the logic control. DP looks like it will just be using the same surface.
  • Reply 54 of 109
    disinedisine Posts: 6member

<strong>

It's not a mixing board. It's the Logic Control</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's as good as a mixing board within the Logic enviornment. Yea I know, no I/O. It looks exactly like Digidesign's Pro Control which is also not a mixing board but a controller. Point being that if this is an attempt to create a complete Pro AV solution within the Apple brand, some sort of hardware will be required. In this case, would Apple step out that bold or should we only expect software?
  • Reply 55 of 109
    [quote]Originally posted by disine:

<strong>

It's as good as a mixing board within the Logic enviornment. Yea I know, no I/O. It looks exactly like Digidesign's Pro Control which is also not a mixing board but a controller. Point being that if this is an attempt to create a complete Pro AV solution within the Apple brand, some sort of hardware will be required. In this case, would Apple step out that bold or should we only expect software?</strong><hr></blockquote>

:confused:

Not to be rude, but you don't know. Logic Control is a control surface that controls everything living in Logic, from plug-ins and vst insts. to chopping audio. It is far from a mixing board, though it's complete control of logic means it also controls the mixer.
  • Reply 56 of 109
    Right, it's a pseudo-mixer -- the slider controls act to control elements onscreen, but it's no more a "mixer" than a mouse or joystick or keyboard is. Purely a control surface.
  • Reply 57 of 109
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    This was definitely a shocker!!!

Motu users [myself] must feel very awkwardly positioned. Apple overseeing emagic & motu being only mac.

I wonder how this will play out & if this will give emagic that edge over motu.......????

I would've liked to have seen them purchase motu, oh well.

also, from a business stand-point I can see the cut-off of windows support, but I honestly think that's a very bad decision, especially in this market.

i completely feel for windows users of logic/emagic software.
  • Reply 58 of 109
    resres Posts: 711member
    I think that windows users, for the most part, will switch to programs like Steinberg's CubaseSX rather then change platforms.

Of course, I was planing to get CubaseSX as soon as it became available for the Mac, but now I'm going to wait and see what will happen with logic.

Overall this was a great move by Apple.
  • Reply 59 of 109
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    I too thought Motu was a good fit for apple, but Motu will be fine. They make some great hardware, especially external stuff. Motu 828 and 896 are awesome pieces of equipment.

I believe both work fine with logic and protools...please correct me if i'm wrong. I have a friend with an in home recording studio, who bought a mac this past year to make the digital step. I recommended Motu to him to bring his stuff in from his adat's. He couldn't be happier. He bought the new imac ..so an internal card wasn't an option, but the 828 he got offers fast firewire capabilities.
  • Reply 60 of 109
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    For windows users who have used logic for this long [learning it, in AND out] and now having to switch platforms because of this buy-out, is ludacris!

I'm not using windows LA [logic audio], but still, that's very unfair and bully-ish/microsoft-ish like thing of apple to do.

that very much kills a BIG chunk of the music DAW on the windows platform. I guess in cubase's favor [since now they'll most likely get more users], but unfair to the windows community, who really only has ONE choice of major [excluding pro tools] software sequencer to go with.

Logic/Mac vs. Motu.....

I'm sure motu will hold it's ground, but they better start support more open standards [better VST support, etc.]. Or else logic/apple will creep past them.

As with a lot of people, I wonder how logic and motu will hold out in the long run. A lot of people's investments [thousands, and thousands] are on the line.....