Apple unveils new line of 20- and 24-inch iMacs

Comments

• Reply 201 of 433
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJay View Post

that's the thing tho.. this design is anything but simple. i know it's gonna be hard for a computer to be as amazing as the iMac G4, but this one its too weird.. maybe i'll get used to it? but for now for someone reason it doesn't look like it belongs on the apple website

You mean the ugly "lampshade" model?

That's a joke. It was certainly interesting, and looked good?for a while.
  • Reply 202 of 433
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple is doing what they can with the design.

Not quite. The adjustability of the monitor could be a lot better without having to revert to the old G4 style iMac
  • Reply 203 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

if that were true why don't the aluminum display already have that feature; Dear lord don't; let apple change their display as well! How many programs do you use that have black borders. Not AE, not maya not lightwave, not FCP not photoshop (most of the time), not dreamweaver, not flash , color and shake sort of "they're more grey" but those apps aren't even really "apple". Maybe aperture but I have no purpose for wedding photographers tools... and on the consumer end of things not office not safari, not mail, nor entourage, not toast not Imovie nor Idvd. I think you're pretty much imagining things to justify an otherwise bad design choice, but if you can build a case perhaps I'll capitulate to you're argument if a cogent argument could even be made.

Perhaps you may have noticed that the monitors are a bit long in the tooth.

Also, they are only monitors. Apple went for the svelt look with as little bezel as they could use. Not the best for color work, but it looks snazzy.

An iMac has far more components inside, so they need more room. There also needs to be room for the heat to rise. It can't be too small.
  • Reply 204 of 433
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I was talking about within the Apple product line, I thought that the Apple iMacs & monitors were 8 bit, and their notebooks were 6 bit.

Before the update, the 20 and 24 were 24 bit (8 bit per channel) displays.

After the update, I think the 20 inch uses a 6 but TN film, based on the viewing angle, which has been reduced to 160 degrees.
  • Reply 205 of 433
    Quote:

guess I had allot to say... overall point is... I'll be buying old imacs off of ebay or some other source for my studio. hate the glossy display, hate the black border! sorry if you don't have the attention span; I thought this was a web forum. Should I really be concerned about formatting? I just type as I think on places like this but I suppose I'm busier than many other dorks out there... or I'm not and you're just overly sensative... I've seen plenty of misspellings and contrived confabulation left and right and I don't take time out of my day to criticize poor grammar , formatting and punctuation on a web forum. Are you the MLA authority for web forums? lighten up dude if you don't want to read it skip it!

Talk about dorky!

It's called respect. If you want people to read what you say, and appreciate your ideas then you should not make it to difficult for them to read.

If you can't take the time to make it easier, why should anyone take the time to muddle through it?

And, if you think that we're so dorky, why do you bother coming here at all? Go somewhere else where the people are just like you, undorky, and all that.
  • Reply 206 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mokarran View Post

I have to say that at first I wasn't too thrilled with the new design when I first saw it, but it's growing on me. For some reason, I find most of the mockups on the Apple website tacky-looking, but the live photos actually look pretty nice. I'll have to see it in person.

My only real concern is that glossy screen. I know I've had a lot of color issues on my MacBook, but is it just because it's only 6-bit? Does anyone know if color calibration devices would have problems with the glass covering?

No they won't.

A properly designed color calibrator shields the sensors from ambient lighting.

Don't forget that until recently, LCD's couldn't be calibrated at all. All the calibrators were designed for CRT's, which surprisingly enough, are glass. They are also from .5 to 1.0 inch thick in the front. One of the concerns years ago, when manufacturers went to frosted screens on crt's, was whether the calibrators would work properly because of the diffusion caused by that. But, it didn't prove to be a problem.

noticeable

If anything, a glossy screen should be more accurately calibrated, but not by enough so that it should be noticeable.
  • Reply 207 of 433
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

That's a joke. It was certainly interesting, and looked good—for a while.

That's odd, it also seems to be the most-used Apple desktop as a movie or TV show prop. I don't remember seeing the G5 or newer models as often, the one time was on War at Home.
  • Reply 208 of 433
    Quote:

Good catch. The timing seems just about right, don't you think?
  • Reply 209 of 433
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I couldn't find the specs on the thickness of the display on the website but I was wondering if the new slimness would affect the sound quality since the speakers would likely be a bit different now.

Not that the sound was all that astounding in the previous model, but I'm hoping that it isn't any worse.
  • Reply 210 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Not quite. The adjustability of the monitor could be a lot better without having to revert to the old G4 style iMac

Sure, that's different though. People here are complaining about the color, the border, the "chin", the black back, etc.

Unfortunately, you seem to be talking about a "real" issue.

That's not allowed.
  • Reply 211 of 433
    Quote:

That's odd, it also seems to be the most-used Apple desktop as a movie or TV show prop. I don't remember seeing the G5 or newer models as often, the one time was on War at Home.

Let's see, Apple pays how much for product placement?
  • Reply 212 of 433
    Quote:

That's a joke. It was certainly interesting, and looked good?for a while.

My G4 iMac prefers to be known as the beautiful "sunflower" model.

Seriously though, my all time favorite Mac.............at least to date.
  • Reply 213 of 433
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:

guess I had allot to say... overall point is... I'll be buying old imacs off of ebay or some other source for my studio. hate the glossy display, hate the black border! sorry if you don't have the attention span; I thought this was a web forum. Should I really be concerned about formatting? I just type as I think on places like this but I suppose I'm busier than many other dorks out there... or I'm not and you're just overly sensative... I've seen plenty of misspellings and contrived confabulation left and right and I don't take time out of my day to criticize poor grammar , formatting and punctuation on a web forum. Are you the MLA authority for web forums? lighten up dude if you don't want to read it skip it!

Dude, when I saw your post, I tried to read it, and it just made me dizzy. I tried again and toppled over. Even now, just thinking about it, I am writhing and twisting on the ground in epilectic siezure.
  • Reply 214 of 433
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Let's see, Apple pays how much for product placement?

I really don't know. Which way are you implying?

If they thought it was ugly, I really don't think they'd be so quick to put it on the set. It just seemed to be there for the coolness sake than anything else.
  • Reply 215 of 433
    Personally, I am still undecided on the new design. I'll get a first hand encounter tomorrow before I make up my mind.

That said, I'm glad to see the chin stay. I like the chin for the personality it brings to the face of the iMacs. But with this design refresh, I wish they would have squared the edges off a little bit more akin to theCinema Displays and gave the Apple logo the same treatment as on the side of the Mac Pros. (See attached)

Ive gets the look he was going for, with a bit more refinement to the design. Just my opinion; not stating fact.
  • Reply 216 of 433
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Glossy? Who wants light glare on a screen? Why on earth would this be a good feature? I have to start thinking about the Mini now that it has 1 Gb RAM and the better chip. Add a 17 inch LCD and Im set. Crappy graphics but it cant be worse than the G4 ibook Im using. Or can it?
  • Reply 217 of 433
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post

Personally, I am still undecided on the new design. I'll get a first hand encounter tomorrow before I make up my mind.

That said, I'm glad to see the chin stay. I like the chin for the personality it brings to the face of the iMacs. But with this design refresh, I wish they would have squared the edges off a little bit more akin to theCinema Displays and gave the Apple logo the same treatment as on the side of the Mac Pros. (See attached)

Ive gets the look he was going for, with a bit more refinement to the design. Just my opinion; not stating fact.

Thats Hot!
  • Reply 218 of 433
    For a side-by-side comparison of the new iMac versus my preferred look:

-
  • Reply 219 of 433
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    If they went with an Apple Cinema Display type design, the prevailing comment would be they were devoid of newer ideas. If they removed the chin, and made it thicker, people would have call it fat. If they made it all plastic, people would complain because of the extra fans, since it was missing an aluminum heat sink

It is what it is ? Apple trying to go in a slightly different direction.

Personally, I would have liked to see a few chrome accents like the G4 iMac and iPhone as well as a flat back.

I known this is me being Captain Obvious, but this thing is going to have multi touch in the next 12 ? 18 months. I know Our Master said this was a ?research project?, but come on, do you really expect him to show their long term strategy?
  • Reply 220 of 433
    Quote:

I really don't know. Which way are you implying?

If they thought it was ugly, I really don't think they'd be so quick to put it on the set. It just seemed to be there for the coolness sake than anything else.

No. It's there because it's paid for. That how all products get on Tv. movies, and even other commercials.

When you see Mac's in other product's commercials, it because Apple's product placement agency paid for it to be there. On a couple of shows that used Macs, you will now see Dells. Why? Because they outbid.

Coolness has nothing to do with it, though it seems nice to think so.

It's all about the money.

Think about it. Several years ago you NEVER saw a brand name, unless it was something like a car, which was too obvious to conceal. And even then the auto makers paid for that.

It's become very prevalent today, with every brand you see having been paid for.

It's in response to the backlash against the continuing onslaught of advertising. Some shows on Tv are even using the products as part of the show, mentioning names etc.

There is consideration of having shows without ads at all. The show time would be paid instead by active use of products during the show itself. You're seeing bits of it emerge now. Even in film.

That was taboo years ago.