Apple unveils iPod touch and iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 311
    [QUOTE=m00nchild;1137187]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marbiol View Post

Capacity really is my issue and I'm upset that Apple continues to not respond to a segment of the iPod user community that keeps clamoring for larger capacity.. Otherwise I adore iPods. But I have a large music collection and I use my iPod in a number of situations (underground radio shows, club performances, etc.) where having access to my entire collection is preferable.

What do you mean by 160GB classic?

The Classic is the new name for the old style full size iPods (although they updated them with new shells and software). The capacities are 80GB and 160GB for $249 and $349...
  • Reply 41 of 311
    [QUOTE=m00nchild;1137187]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marbiol View Post

What do you mean by 160GB classic?

Perhaps you weren't paying attention - but just before SJ announced the iPod Touch he announced the iPod Classic

- with 160GB of storage

- it seems to be exactly what you're after

- I'd advise checking out the Apple web-site when it's been updated

For me I think Apple just about nailed it on the head this time

- perhaps it would have been good to have a HDD iPod Touch option, but hey, you can't everything....
  • Reply 43 of 311
    I think the missed opportunity here is giant. (Unless the functionality is there for Safari...)

Imagine that whenever you go to a Starbucks you'd have access to the Wi-Fi for free not only for iTunes, but for Mail and Safari as well. They would have been instantly offering free FASTER THAN EDGE connectivity for all iPhone users at over 7000 locations throughout the country. I know that Starbucks is teamed up with T-Mobile but this could have been really big.
  • Reply 44 of 311
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    It's absolutely hilarious that Apple has gotten Wi-Fi into the iPod before Palm has gotten it into the Treo.
  • Reply 45 of 311
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m00nchild View Post

I love how rude people are when confronted with frustration that someone might have. Instead of saying: Did you hear about x? or did you think about y? Then just launch full on into "shut up" or "get out" -- when the frustration wasn't even originally directed at them.

I just found out about the Classics. That model was buried underneath all the other iPod announcements.

Thanks for the person who told me I should check it out.

I'm less frustrated by Apple now.

Jesus christ. Apple introduced a slew of new iPods today, anyone that thought the new touch model was all that had happened (or that the new, high capacity "classic" was somehow "buried") just wasn't paying any attention at all.

So when you rush onto the internet to denounce Apple for being fools and declare that you're jumping ship, yeah, you pretty much deserve to be ruthlessly slagged.
  • Reply 46 of 311
    Quote:

I love how rude people are when confronted with frustration that someone might have. Instead of saying: Did you hear about x? or did you think about y? Then just launch full on into "shut up" or "get out" -- when the frustration wasn't even originally directed at them.

I just found out about the Classics. That model was buried underneath all the other iPod announcements.

Thanks for the person who told me I should check it out.

I'm less frustrated by Apple now.

I don't mean to offend, but I think people were just reacting to a very very angry post that was obviously uninformed. If you said "wow, I'm disappointed that they didn't increase the largest ipod more than 80GB" I'm sure the response would have been much more helpful.

But when you launch into a multi-paragraph comment about how basically this announcement sucked because they didn't give you what you wanted, you will get a response in kind.
  • Reply 47 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe40 View Post

I think the missed opportunity here is giant. (Unless the functionality is there for Safari...)

Imagine that whenever you go to a Starbucks you'd have access to the Wi-Fi for free not only for iTunes, but for Mail and Safari as well. They would have been instantly offering free FASTER THAN EDGE connectivity for all iPhone users at over 7000 locations throughout the country. I know that Starbucks is teamed up with T-Mobile but this could have been really big.

Yes, I was thinking that too - it would make the tie-up make a lot more sense, and encourage loads of iPhone & iPod touch users to go into Starbucks - or at least hang-round near the entrance...

They'll probably add it at some point in the future, once they've seen how this tie-up goes...
  • Reply 48 of 311
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

Lack of chat is ridiculous... but cant you access your mail accounts via safari? just log into yahoo or hotmail or whatever you use.

Yea but no I'm away from my desk at work a lot and would like to receive email and reply to it as it comes in. I don't want to have to log in via the web over and over to see if I have anything new.
  • Reply 49 of 311
    I'm another person who needs capacity as my present 20GB 2G iPod is full and I probably have another 10GB of music.

As soon as Job started talking about the iPod Classic, I had a sinking feeling about the Touch iPod, which proved correct.

I had planned on buying the Touch iPod if it met my needs. Right now I have the choice of getting a Classic, which isn't a terribly exciting alternative, go for cool with a Touch rather the funcionality or keep soldiering on with the 2G until it dies. By that time 32GB flash memory might be afforable.

Sorry Apple, you missed a sale.
  • Reply 50 of 311
    One thing I'd really like to have seen on this is Bluetooth and the ability to use one's actual phone as a Bluetooth modem, preferably through Sprint, as I do now with my N800. That'd be true mobile broadband and piss off AT&T mightily. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can use the N800 as a DHCP server to bridge between its Bluetooth tethering to my phone and it's wifi.
  • Reply 51 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Well don't let the door... on, wait. I forgot. There is a 100gb-120gb on the horizon. Announced today, in fact. Called the iPod classic, it maxes out at 160gb.

So no for slamming you on the ass on the way out then, is there? You can have your cake and eat, not caring, as you dont, about interfaces you can remain a happy member of the iPod family.

I assume you did not know this, and I guess they kept the classic range for that very reason: peopel like you.

Thanks and a happy member I'll remain.
  • Reply 52 of 311
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Yea but no I'm away from my desk at work a lot and would like to receive email and reply to it as it comes in. I don't want to have to log in via the web over and over to see if I have anything new.

Then what you need is a smart phone, not an iPod
  • Reply 52 of 311
    I don't think they missed the mark.

I personally see the ipod touch as new product in a new segmant. And I don't think this product/segmant has really worked itself out yet. 16 gigs at that price is not going to set the world on fire but it should gain enough sales to help push the market down and allow for better offerings later. The ipod touch is effectavly a placeholder until the manufacturing side a catch up in technology and affordabilty. So with that in mind I think Apple may be slightly ahead of the game.

I don't think they could offer free wifi at Starbucks. Not since they are t-mobile hotspots. With Apple in bed with At&t. But I agree, it would have been very cool. This does open up a new market for Apple to work there way in airports and such.
  • Reply 54 of 311
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    The iPod touch's design is how the iPhone's design should've been. I am well looking fwd to the next iPhone.

Again, wow, well done Ive.
  • Reply 55 of 311
    Man, I am really really torn on this one. I wanted only two things: widescreen and 80GB. Didn't care about Wi-Fi at all.

Unfortunately, nothing released today meets both requirements. But all of them are so much better than my aging 40GB 4th Gen that it's going to be hard to hold off for yet another year.

I know that 32GB or more of NAND flash would be insanely expensive. But couldn't they have just slapped an old fashioned hard drive on the iPod Touch? If battery life would be the issue there, I'd be fine with it not having Wi-Fi. That's just not a priority for me.
  • Reply 56 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Jesus christ. Apple introduced a slew of new iPods today, anyone that thought the new touch model was all that had happened (or that the new, high capacity "classic" was somehow "buried") just wasn't paying any attention at all.

So when you rush onto the internet to denounce Apple for being fools and declare that you're jumping ship, yeah, you pretty much deserve to be ruthlessly slagged.

Thanks and should I chuck my macpro tower out the window? or my macbook pro? Apple scored there. Or is criticism allowed at all on AppleInsider's site.

I got my info from engadget as nothing was posted at apple.com. The classic model announcement was buried down at the bottom. Had Apple not introduced a higher capacity iPod that would have been a stupid decision.

I stand corrected. They did. And I am happy.

But STFU's are never necessary. I certainly didn't direct one against anyone here. And ruthless slagging sounds disproportionate to just saying apology accepted. Doesn't it?
  • Reply 57 of 311
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

I'm jumping to the competition.

Cheers, Apple. You lost me on this one.

Don't let the door hitcha where the good lord splitcha.
  • Reply 58 of 311
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Oh, come on. If you didn't see this as a probability or at least a possibility, then you don't deserve that $200 anyway...

i expected this just before Christmas. it's been 66 days.

at&t must have pressured Jobs to do this.

it's a SERIOUS insult to fans and early adopters to drop the price that much and that fast. i will NEVER be a day 1 adopter again. i'm going to sit it out and make sure all the bugs have been taken care of, and wait for a price drop or spec boost.

do you think the iPod touch will be $199 and $259 on november 1st? NO.

do you think the new Nano will be $99 and $129 on november 1st? NO.

do you think the new iMac will be $790 - $1199 on november 1st? NO.
  • Reply 59 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

Man, I am really really torn on this one. I wanted only two things: widescreen and 80GB. Didn't care about Wi-Fi at all.

Unfortunately, nothing released today meets both requirements. But all of them are so much better than my aging 40GB 4th Gen that it's going to be hard to hold off for yet another year.

I know that 32GB or more of NAND flash would be insanely expensive. But couldn't they have just slapped an old fashioned hard drive on the iPod Touch? If battery life would be the issue there, I'd be fine with it not having Wi-Fi. That's just not a priority for me.

Someone please correct me if Im wrong... But I wonder about the logistics of putting a HD right behind a multi touch screen. I wonder how the heat would affect it. I don't think it would work and if it did probally not for very long.

my 2 cents
  • Reply 60 of 311
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

Lack of chat is ridiculous... but cant you access your mail accounts via safari? just log into yahoo or hotmail or whatever you use.

I was pissed at first, but then i realized that when i want to get online, i bring my powerbook. The touch only appeals to me due to the larger screen. If I can get a large, vivid screen and 160GB storage, its all good! But instead, they left the screen the same. That what annoys me.

Now, since i cant get big storage with a big screen, my only option is to wait another year, build more playlsits, and keep using my 80GB 5G.

Yeah, it's really odd that the new iPod Classic that is the obvious choice if you want to store and watch a lot of movies and pictures on your iPod will only play movies on a tiny screen. Strange strategy..

I guess I could use Yahoo mail and have it check my regular pop mail.. How is the yahoo mail interface on "iPhod"? But I like the idea of having my mailbox in my pocket, regardless of coverage. And Apple's Mail app for the iPhod looks really great. I mean, what's the address book for in a pocket device if it isn't for mailing people? I also miss notes...

but I guess things will be better once Apple starts selling or giving away software, now that the platform is finally here.