Apple unveils iPod touch and iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store

Comments

• Reply 61 of 311
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I tell you what. You develop NAND Memory that makes 32Gig chipsets affordable and you'll get your wish.

Actually, they're close. The new iPod touch likely uses the new Samsung NAND that's more efficient than the older NANDs used in the older Nanos...which resulted in $600 32GB SSDs (OEM pricing).

Once production increases, the 32GB SSDs should drop in price quite a bit especially since Toshiba is ramping or already at full production with their own version.
  • Reply 62 of 311
    How can all of you be pissed about this? Sweet products, cheaper prices, whats not to love? So you spent more than you had to on your iphone? You still have one right? Apple is just taking it to every other tech company out there and I'm happy about it.
  • Reply 63 of 311
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,530member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorRobert View Post

You know, I think he's right. I'm an AAPL shareholder and I still think it's not cool to do that to early adopters--2 months after an ultra-hyped product to just discount 33%? It's disconcerting, but I think they reassessed their strategy after more data came in, and it's the right thing to do, and there's no easy solution to not piss off the early adopters (who will be rightfully pissed).

One thing that people here are obviously not following is that Flash prices have dropped like a stone the past month, contrary to expectations (including mine). I'm sure this has something to do with it.

Apple might also have decided to share some of that loot it's getting from ATT for each sale.
  • Reply 64 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

It's absolutely hilarious that Apple has gotten Wi-Fi into the iPod before Palm has gotten it into the Treo.

For most stuff, the Palm TX does a pretty good job... Same resolution as the iPhone/iPod touch, WiFi (although only b) and a massive software selection including a media player that'll handle divx movies... The only reason I was interested in the touch was for Safari - the palm browsers are still a little so-so... The TX even has VOIP clients which does a pretty good job of selling it for me.

If the touch had been 80GB then I would have seriously considered one, but I think I'll go for a classic for the capacity to replace my Rockboxed temperamental 4G...
  • Reply 65 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorRobert View Post

You know, I think he's right. I'm an AAPL shareholder and I still think it's not cool to do that to early adopters--2 months after an ultra-hyped product to just discount 33%? It's disconcerting, but I think they reassessed their strategy after more data came in, and it's the right thing to do, and there's no easy solution to not piss off the early adopters (who will be rightfully pissed).

More like they shipped with the 1GB Samsung NANDs and now are moving to the new 2GB Samsung NANDs and the new 8GB and 16GB models are going through the FCC right now. The 8GB model now shown uses the old NAND and gets a quiet transition as stocks run out.

Can you imagine the crying if they didn't do the price drop? People would be complaining that the new iPod touch comes with more space than the iPhone...which it does but not for too long I wouldn't think.

Vinea
  • Reply 66 of 311
    Let's look at it this way.

You now have been given several great new options...

a new touch screen ipod or a new 160 gb hard drive ipod.

All this while the Zune has turned even browner today
  • Reply 67 of 311
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

do you think the iPod touch will be $199 and $259 on november 1st? NO.

do you think the new Nano will be $99 and $129 on november 1st? NO.

do you think the new iMac will be $790 - $1199 on november 1st? NO.

Are any of those products brand new devices is a brand new category for apple? NO.

The situations simply aren't that analagous.

I guess you could make the argument that the iPod Touch is a new device, but really that's a child of the iPhone.
  • Reply 68 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m00nchild View Post

I love how rude people are when confronted with frustration that someone might have. Instead of saying: Did you hear about x? or did you think about y? Then just launch full on into "shut up" or "get out" -- when the frustration wasn't even originally directed at them.

I just found out about the Classics. That model was buried underneath all the other iPod announcements.

Thanks for the person who told me I should check it out.

I'm less frustrated by Apple now.

We were being a bit rude, because you didn't bother to find out what came out before ranting.

The Classic wasn't "buried".
  • Reply 69 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

One thing that people here are obviously not following is that Flash prices have dropped like a stone the past month, contrary to expectations (including mine). I'm sure this has something to do with it.

Well...I would guess that supplies on the new NAND will be very constrained (and pricey for anyone not Apple) for a while...whether the older NAND frees up a bit depends on whether the new nano uses them or not. Something we'll find out when someone opens theirs up...
  • Reply 70 of 311
    Hmm, ipod touch or iphone. Im thinking ipod touch and that someone will make a mail app, and i can find some way for iChat.
  • Reply 71 of 311
    Big question on the starbucks deal:

Free open wireless, or only to access the apple music store?

If the answer is yes, then this is sort of an acceptable trade-off.

Either way, the implementation of "adding a starbucks icon" to your device kinda blows!

It brings up even more potentially disturbing stuff about the software based UI of the iphone and ipod touch.

Apple makes whatever icons pop up onto you phone/ipod. Anybody else see strong possibilities for abuse of this "feature"?

-macornot
  • Reply 72 of 311
    Quote:

there is a difference between a YEAR and two MONTHS.

my tv was 2200 at christmas last year. it's 1800 now. that's a 19% drop in 9 months.

the iPhone just dropped 33% in 2 months. that's f'ing insulting.

If someone thinks it's worth it at the higher price, then it's worth it.

If that price goes down suddenly, then it was still worth it.

If they bought it so early to be the first kid on the block with it, then tough!

It figured that Apple would drop the price before the holiday. I didn't think it would drop that much.

But, as I said in another post, Flash has dropped this month more than was expected.
  • Reply 73 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macornot View Post

Either way, the implementation of "adding a starbucks icon" to your device kinda blows!

It brings up even more potentially disturbing stuff about the software based UI of the iphone and ipod touch.

Apple makes whatever icons pop up onto you phone/ipod. Anybody else see strong possibilities for abuse of this "feature"?

-macornot

It sounds like it'll only appear in the iTunes store app so that sounds acceptable... If it comes up on the main screen then that's an issue.
  • Reply 74 of 311
    Does the Touch have the same "buried" headset port like the iPhone? Anyone know?
  • Reply 75 of 311
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

i expected this just before Christmas. it's been 66 days.

at&t must have pressured Jobs to do this.

it's a SERIOUS insult to fans and early adopters to drop the price that much and that fast. i will NEVER be a day 1 adopter again. i'm going to sit it out and make sure all the bugs have been taken care of, and wait for a price drop or spec boost.

do you think the iPod touch will be $199 and $259 on november 1st? NO.

do you think the new Nano will be $99 and $129 on november 1st? NO.

do you think the new iMac will be $790 - $1199 on november 1st? NO.

Yeah, but they didn't come out with the huge hype (what else has) or with the insanely high price point.

The way I see it, Apple sorta had to do this. Imagine if they had started with a lower price point. There may have been mayham and long waiting lists and long complaints. Instead they sold very well and they had reviews that said "it is expensive, but worth it." Still, eventually the price had to come down to match the sales figures they want in the long term.

If they dropped the prices a little every month, that would have worked price wise, but it would have created more confusion for buyers--they would always wonder if waiting would get them a better price. The "shock" method of lowering prices is a shame for recent purchacers, but it reassures the market that prices will be stable at the new level for some time to come.

I'm not saying it does't hurt. And I will agree that I was surprised by the size of the drop. But this is the way of things these days...
  • Reply 76 of 311
    As apple CEO Mr. Jobs was presenting new i-pod in SF, I was trying to find his new i-pod at Apple website.

I found this blunder about new hot product I-pod touch where it was listed as U2-ipod.

http://picasaweb.google.com/divine.f...92381067798866
  • Reply 77 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macornot View Post

-macornot

That is a good question. I didn't see the details on that...
  • Reply 78 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

Yes, I was thinking that too - it would make the tie-up make a lot more sense, and encourage loads of iPhone & iPod touch users to go into Starbucks - or at least hang-round near the entrance...

They'll probably add it at some point in the future, once they've seen how this tie-up goes...

I always thought that WiFi at Starbucks was free, that you had to log in only. You can access the net just as anywhere else.

I looks to me that the difference now is that you don't have to log in if you have iTunes, and you can buy songs through them, as well as from Apple, possibly with one billing from iTunes.

Has anyone here actually used WiFi at Starbucks, or is everyone just saying what they THINK to be true?
  • Reply 79 of 311
    Quote:

I always thought that WiFi at Starbucks was free, that you had to log in only. You can access the net just as anywhere else.

I looks to me that the difference now is that you don't have to log in if you have iTunes, and you can buy songs through them, as well as from Apple, possibly with one billing from iTunes.

Has anyone here actually used WiFi at Starbucks, or is everyone just saying what they THINK to be true?

Starbucks use a t-mobile hotspot provided by t-mobile. You have to pay for it. You can purchase a day pass or a monthly pass.

I understand this setup to be that you can get into the itunes wifi store for free at Starbucks and see the music that is playing at starbucks and purchase. I would highly doubt they allow full web access as t-mobile and att kinda compete.
  • Reply 80 of 311
    Quote:

I thought it was free too, but once on the road I needed to check my e-mail and pulled in to one. There was a subscription to log in--at least in the Starbucks I was in somewhere in Virginia...