Apple to offer early iPhone adopters $100 credit - Jobs

145791016

Comments

  • Reply 121 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post


    Perhaps you should consult with an attorney and learn more about contract law, contracts, promises, implied promises and enforceablility. Also - may want to consult on legal implications of statement by officers of companies in their capacity as such...



    Let me guess. You're a first year law student reading off of a syllabus.
  • Reply 122 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Ah, you just don't understand, do you?



    Apple is doing this to cut off a continued loud debate from those "whiners". That's all.



    It's publicity. Makes Apple look generous.



    Yes, it does. And it makes those who continue to complain, after today, look as though they are utterly ridiculous.
  • Reply 123 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    So far, you haven't shown us any contractual obligations that they did breach.



    Show us something that they did. Not just you feelings about it, as you have been doing.



    We all have our opinions here, but you are making statements of "fact". You haven't shown any of them to be true.



    I think I've been very semantically careful to only offer my thoughts and opinions - I haven't made any statements of fact other than what I know occurred - Apple released the iphone at $599 and $499 and made various public commitments and feature enhancements and then less than 3 months later dropped the price by more than 30%. I shared my view (opinion if you prefer) that there is likely a claim that certain of the commitments (feature enhancements quickly after the product was released) were not met. I suggested that perhaps Apple defined quickly to be something special in this case because it must be sooner than the amount of time in which they would dramatically lower the price of the device. I also suggested people review Jobs' public statements and presentations to recall how weighty the commitments for feature enhancements sounded around announcement.
  • Reply 124 of 314
    "We're also going to announce a reparations program for anyone who ever bought a Newton or Cube which will include not only the price of the product but extra compensation for mental damages you may have suffered while using the product."



    -- Fake Steve Jobs
  • Reply 125 of 314
    Apple's most glaring mistake is that they didn't simply put the 8GB iPhone "On Sale" for the upcoming holiday period. Simulataneous with this announcement could have easily been "We will refund $200 to everyone who bought the iPhone during the past fourteen day period."



    After the holidays, Apple could then safely announce that $399 was the new retail price.



    It seems evident that Apple's business model doesn't include the philosophy that "A fast nickel is worth more than a slow dime," or that they don't subscribe to the axiom of "Everyone like a deal." Sam Walton built an empire far larger than Apple using just such tactics.
  • Reply 126 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post


    Let me guess. You're a first year law student reading off of a syllabus.



    And, if he is reading this off a syllabus, he better get a new one because he's wrong and being way too general in his statements. It might get him through his 1L Contracts class, but it likely won't help him pass the bar, or more importantly, succeed in life as a lawyer.
  • Reply 127 of 314
    Congratulations Apple. I understand how pissed off people were yesterday. I'd bought my PowerBook in 2005 and in 2 months, it's value declined in half because of the Intel transition. I was pissed off, too, but of course, no one to blame, just bad luck. Anyway, he did a good job now, he give people money to get them to buy stuff from Apple! I think everybody wins!
  • Reply 128 of 314
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

    "We're also going to announce a reparations program for anyone who ever bought a Newton or Cube which will include not only the price of the product but extra compensation for mental damages you may have suffered while using the product."



    -- Fake Steve Jobs





    Hilarious. But I actually liked the Cube.



    It prolly would've done fine, had it not been overpriced.



    .
  • Reply 129 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrightm View Post


    Yes, it does. And it makes those who continue to complain, after today, look as though they are utterly ridiculous.



    who's complaining - aren't we just debating at this point to avoid other fascinating opportunities like working?
  • Reply 130 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cyberdish View Post


    I'd like to point out the obvious inequality of this refund - - I didn't buy an iphone and now I don't get a $100 gift certificate even though I have been forced to read all these whiner forums that go on and on ad nauseum. Hey AI! can you give me a refund for my wasted time here?



    Someone have a gun to your head, jackass?
  • Reply 131 of 314
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post


    I shared my view (opinion if you prefer) that there is likely a claim that certain of the commitments (feature enhancements quickly after the product was released) were not met.



    Ah ha! So you're claiming negligence! That Apple made a promise about the future and not only didn't fulfill it, but didn't TRY to fulfill it. I hear that's an easy case.



    Quote:

    I suggested that perhaps Apple defined quickly to be something special in this case because it must be sooner than the amount of time in which they would dramatically lower the price of the device.



    God you are insufferable.



    Quote:

    I also suggested people review Jobs' public statements and presentations to recall how weighty the commitments for feature enhancements sounded around announcement.



    Seriously, you need to pull up your pants, remove the mirror that you use to watch yourself while you type, and get a life.
  • Reply 132 of 314
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebolagp View Post


    oh Mel, you just keep thinking that, ok?





    It's the truth.



    Fine if you don't want to believe it.
  • Reply 133 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post


    Aaargh.



    Apple have no obligation to the credit card companies to keep the price the same. Apple have no control over the 'price protection' policies that the credit card companies offer.



    Of course, it's easy to offer price protection when you charge a decent interest rate and also take 1 to 2.5% of the purchase price from the merchant as the 'service charge' on every purchase made on the card.



    No, but I can only assume they bargain with them for favorable service charges on iTunes purchases. I'm sure a multi-million dollar bill that some would have had to pay could sour them to a degree.
  • Reply 134 of 314
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post


    Perhaps you should consult with an attorney and learn more about contract law, contracts, promises, implied promises and enforceablility. Also - may want to consult on legal implications of statement by officers of companies in their capacity as such...



    Now, you're being ridiculous!



    You think that because you looked up a few big words, it makes your argument any better?



    I know far more about it than you ever will, going by your arguments. I've owned two companies.



    You still haven't responded to my request for some evidence of breach.



    I suppose there is a reason for that?
  • Reply 135 of 314
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nowayout11 View Post


    But of course, everybody here that didn't mind the $200 price drop and called people whiners won't be taking up Apple's $100 credit offer, right?



    I didn't care about the $200 price drop, but I'd be an idiot not to take a free $100 store credit wouldn't I? What a silly comment!
  • Reply 136 of 314
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    He did the politically correct thing.



    I agree.
  • Reply 137 of 314
    thrangthrang Posts: 901member
    Anyone here who thinks Apple "capitulated" to "whiners" is, excuse me, a moron - Apple should have done this proactively, not reactively.



    Apple had the right to do what it did (lower the price), but the timing and severity of the price cut was a direct slap in the face of the early adopters, plain and simple - it comes off as nothing more than gouging. It's really unprecedented - well, wait, they cut the price of Aperture too - but proactively offer a $200 Apple-store credit!



    That's what Apple should have done here as well, not wait for bad blood to be spilled. There's no way that in the short time the iPhone has shipped that Apple realized some incredible economies of scale - they haven't sold 10 times the anticipated run rate. So this was a strategic decision for who knows what reason (to accelerate already good sales, to boost sagging sales?)



    We are ALL used to seeing prices drop, but these adjustments are almost always gradual, over time, and almost never within the first three or four months of a product life cycle.



    Hell, why trust Apple with any pricing? Maybe the $399 iPhone will drop to $299 in a month. As a manufacturer, you cannot have such wild price swings and expect that the consumer will maintain a certain trust and faith in your company.



    Wall Street, the consumers, and the press witness a major Apple foul-up here - something thankfully they rarely commit



    $100 is not event that great, to be frank, but I suppose it's the best that you will see.
  • Reply 138 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post


    BS. There is no risk of losing a lawsuit after you lower your prices. Ever. Stop kidding yourself. It was a good move though, not out of the goodness of their heart. I'm amazed how quickly everyone seems to have forgiven - remember Apple is the company that makes 50% margins on everything - that $100 credit just means another sale for them. Duh!



    Please don't make nonsensical claims. And, please learn the difference between "gross margin" and "profit margin."



    Duh.
  • Reply 139 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post


    this isn't from the goodness of apple's heart - they obviously got advice from their counsel that they were at risk for a claim - - -



    There was absolutely NO chance of a lawsuit. This was above and beyond what was expected, or deemed necessary. Please people stop whining!
  • Reply 140 of 314
    @onceaponamac



    Hey guess what. I've signed up at appleinsider ONLY so I could laugh at you're (and other whiners (sorry that's just the best word for it)) hilarious statements. Please, PLEASE go on with this cause I hadn't such a good laugh for a at least week!



    Is it you're ego thats hurt? No one (except me) thought for a second that anything you said (though it was in very correct language i must say) was in any means helpful or made any sense.

    Maybe its time now you delete you're account and start over with a new alias...? Cause for sure no one on this forum will EVER take you serious again. (Giving you this (legal?) advise is the other reason i signed up. You're welcome.)
Sign In or Register to comment.