Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 4181 of 4650
    begbeg Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Anyways, I've heard more people predict Blu-ray will die off in the last week then I've heard all year. Even with Blu-ray's b1g1 free sale, they still barely won that week because shrek 3 sold a LOT of hd-dvds. I predict it had something to do with the $99 players. I'm just guessing though. Now with small talk of blu-ray hurting (sony ceo, lack of my fav movies on br, bd+ problems, and what consumers are talking), I'm kinda scared hd-dvd will win now. At first I was all for hd-dvd, then I realized I want both formats. I want competing formats, as long as dual format players become normal. I think they will in 2008. I don't want one of these to win, please lets just get these dual format players out and get this war done and over with.

Not that I keep on on this too much, but who exactly is predicting the death of Blu-Ray this week? Anyone credible? Or just a bunch of HD-DVD fanboys?

Also where are the numbers that show that Shrek 3 was ale to close the gap on Blu-Ray sales? The Nielsen / Video Scan numbers won't be out until tomorrow(right?) for the week ending on 11/18. All the numbers in previous weeks show Blu-Ray ahead by a huge margin, HD-DVD was only able to come close on 10/21 and 10/28 with 49% and 45% respectively.

I find it hard to believe that Blu-Ray is just going to die with a what 4-1 lead in Europe, over 90% of the market in Japan and about a 2-1 lead in America.
  • Reply 4182 of 4650
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    http://forums.highdefdigest.com/show...10996&page=119 ... Home Media Magazine isn't being updated quick enough.

that is where my numbers were coming from. Most these guys have been spot on.

The people talking down on blu-ray were hardly fanbois by any means. Most of them were j6p who are video enthusiasts but have been waiting for prices to lower. The BD+ issues really pissed off a lot of people. I feel if sony continues to push BD+, blu-ray is gonna have a big fight ahead of it. Again, I'm all for both formats. But when a number of people stepping into hd are going HD-DVD cause of cheap players, we have issues.

I wasn't aware of europe's and Japan's numbers. Can you supply a url with these numbers so I can show them?
  • Reply 4183 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I guess what I'm saying is at this point in time there's simply not enough HDTVs out there, 18% of all households is the figure I've seen, to move HDM into the consumer realm regardless of player price.

That's very true. But prices of HDTVs are way down this Holiday, and they seem to be on a lot of people's want lists. After that, they're going to want something to hook up to them. A $399 player for their $699 HDTV is a hard pill to swallow, but they might spring for a $199 player with a handful of free movies. At least they might if the Best Buy sales rep doesn't con them into spending $350 on a 3-year warranty for their $700 tv

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beg View Post

I find it hard to believe that Blu-Ray is just going to die with a what 4-1 lead in Europe, over 90% of the market in Japan and about a 2-1 lead in America.

Weren't VCDs insanely popular in Japan at one time, too?

No, I don't think Blu-Ray will die at the hand of HD DVD, either. Hell, even if everyone else in the world stopped using it (unlikely), Sony would release their films on Blu-Ray until the end of days (PSP movies, anyone?). I'm on the same page as emig647, and think combo players will become the norm in 2008. When that Samsung BD-UP5000 hits $499, you can guarantee I'll be one of the first in line to go neutral-format. It's not even shipping yet, and some online stores are already listing it for under $800 ($999 retail). At this juncture, combo players at affordable prices may be the only way to get consumers out of this chicken/egg scenario; they don't want to buy a player till there's a clear winner, but there won't be a clear winner unless someone buys the players.
  • Reply 4184 of 4650
    Here is something else. Both Sony CEO and now Toshiba finally agree on something.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=27223
  • Reply 4185 of 4650
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Quote:

Just remember you get what you pay for. I have been pro hd-dvd being around since day 1... and I refuse to buy the $98 players. 720p isn't gonna cut it for me. When the Toshiba A35 (or another 1080p player, or a 1080p combo player) is below 150 I'll go for it.

Someone back me up on this, i heard it takes the A20 and A3 forever to spinup and get going. True / Untrue?

Good point but it's not a concern for all HD tv owners: remember there are smaller HD tvs out there where 720p is going to look fine enough. 1040p can be considered overkill for anything 32" and below.
  • Reply 4186 of 4650
    Thanks for the link, I was just curious since I hadn't seen the numbers from the usual quoted source with the nice pie chart!

As far as Euro and Japan numbers here is what I was able to google up quickly.

Regarding Europe

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=20071

http://gadgets.qj.net/Blu-ray-sweeps.../49/aid/103769

As far as Japan, I may have been mistaken, I haven't been able to find solid numbers of MOVIE sales from Japan, just this, which states that Blu-Ray has 97% of the RECORDER market...which is probably not very relevant to the topic at hand:

http://www.digitalworldtokyo.com/ind...ecorder_market

Quote:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/show...10996&page=119 ... Home Media Magazine isn't being updated quick enough.

that is where my numbers were coming from. Most these guys have been spot on.

The people talking down on blu-ray were hardly fanbois by any means. Most of them were j6p who are video enthusiasts but have been waiting for prices to lower. The BD+ issues really pissed off a lot of people. I feel if sony continues to push BD+, blu-ray is gonna have a big fight ahead of it. Again, I'm all for both formats. But when a number of people stepping into hd are going HD-DVD cause of cheap players, we have issues.

I wasn't aware of europe's and Japan's numbers. Can you supply a url with these numbers so I can show them?

• Reply 4187 of 4650
    I am still confused on one thing, I've been reading the posts on the highdefdigest forums and followed a link from there (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...940249&page=11) and it looks like Blu-Ray won handily again???

Quote:

Nielsen contest results for 11/23/2007

Correct Nielsen/VideoScan ratio : 66:34

Am I missing something?
  • Reply 4188 of 4650
    I didn't say they didn't clearly win. What I said was.... or at least what my point was... Was that Shrek 3 did an incredible job selling discs. Along with O13. This happened to land on the same b1g1 free week for blu-ray. If Blu-ray had a b1g1 free during that week, how many of those in that number were free movies? But when you look at the individual movie sales, Shrek 3 sold almost half of the hd movies last week... horrible movie btw (watched it on dvd last night). Heh, I know I didn't explain this clearly, just got done running 4.5 miles... a little slow in the head.
  • Reply 4189 of 4650
    Nielsen/VideoScan Numbers ending November 18th

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...2507/index.php

WE: BD-66% HDD-34% YTD: BD-65% HDD-35% SI: BD-61% HDD-39%

Numbers are up. BTW, emig647, it is not that HMM isn't being updated quick enough (as you made it sound as if it was a reoccuring phenomenon), but rather it was a holiday weekend and the official numbers came in today.

Also, the so called BD+ issues you speak of and how they are pissing people off as you say are far and few between. I think more people are probably pissed with slow load times, freezes, and mass problems with combo HD DVD discs. Furthermore, you mention that we have issues because a "number of people" are going into HD DVD due to cheap player prices and yet the sales ratio of discs for Blu-ray over the past four weeks even with Toshiba's fire sale of the A2 is the following...

Nielsen/VideoScan Numbers ending November 11th

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...1807/index.php

WE: BD-65% HDD-35% YTD: BD-65% HDD-35% SI: BD-61% HDD-39%

Nielsen/VideoScan Numbers ending November 4th

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...1107/index.php

WE: BD-71% HDD-29% YTD: BD-64% HDD-36% SI: BD-61% HDD-39%

Nielsen/VideoScan Numbers ending October 28th

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...0407/index.php

WE: BD-55% HDD-45% YTD: BD-64% HDD-36% SI: BD-60% HDD-40%

Clearly the data contradicts those claims you've heard and have shared with us of any type of dieing off of Blu-ray.

In addition, in October, Blu-ray looked like this in Europe...

Blu-ray Winning Europe 4-to-1

also, Blu-ray looked like this in Japan...

Blu-ray to HD DVD Sales Ratio in Japan up to 9:1

and of note...

Quote:

News from CEATEC 2007 in Japan indicates that the Blu-ray sales are as high as 9:1 and that there are no HD DVD titles in the top 10 titles.

Other slides in the presentation show increasing hardware support internationally for Blu-ray but little for HD DVD, and also indicate that Fujitsu has ended support for laptops with HD DVD in Japan.

Moreover, concerning your comments about Stringer, which I previously posted showing how Stringer was taken out of context with his "stalemate" comment, and your attempt at claiming that he and Toshiba wish for coexistance are obvioulsly false. Yes, I buy that Toshiba is simply fighting for coexistance, as that is simply the BEST they can do. However, what I don't buy is that somehow Stringer wants coexistance, especially concerning his most recent comments...

Stringer talks a Blu-ray streak

Quote:

Sony CEO Howard Stringer affirmed the company's support for and belief in Blu-ray Disc, saying in an exclusive e-mail interview Monday that the Sony-developed next-generation disc format has "the momentum and the scale" to ultimately triumph over rival HD DVD.

..."I think Blu-ray is just a better format," Stringer said. "Our partners are with Blu-ray Disc because, first of all, we have greater security, which Fox is particularly good at. Disney thinks it's a better picture. And the sheer amount of bandwidth on the disc gives directors and beyond all kinds of future opportunity, including director's cuts and who knows what 3-D capabilities will be down the road.

"I think that's why Steven Spielberg held out his own product from going to HD DVD," he added. "Ultimately, if you're passionate about movies, which these DVD collectors are, Blu-ray is the best answer. I think that is true, and we see that in the blogging environment.

"It isn't the cheaper format, but it is the better format," Stringer said...

So, in general, I totally agree with beg. What are we missing here guys? Blu-ray has been winning handily for the entire year of 2007. And obviously, price has yet to trump all in this format war, and it appears that content has been taking the cake over this, month after month, week after week. And logistically, content will continue to be in Blu-ray's favor (barring any more Microsoft/Toshiba $150 million dollar bribes) going forward given Blu-ray's superiority in sales. Not to mention superiority in storage, bandwidth, IT support, CE support, durability, marketing etc.
  • Reply 4190 of 4650
    Onkyo priced out of HD DVD, discontinues HD805

Translation:

Onkyo DV-HD805, the phantom HD DVD

By: Gian Luca Di Felice

The first Onkyo HD DVD player has been available in Italy for a few days now, but it can already be considered as a collector's item, because there are very few units in existence, and Onkyo has stopped its production.

We were waiting for a unit of the first Onkyo HD DVD player, the DV-HD805, for review on the pages of AV Magazine. After a conversation with Tecnofuturo, the Brescia-based Italian distributor of the Japanese manufacturer, we decided in mutual agreement that it was not worth the trouble. The reasons are quickly explained: the DV-HD805 is no other than a rebranded Toshiba HD-XE1 HD DVD player, which is already compatible with streaming of all lossless multichannel HD codecs via HDMI 1.3, and there are only few units of it available.

In view of the new marketing policy being applied by Toshiba, consisting of sinking the price of its own players, Onkyo has difficulty in positioning its own player (the Europe list price is 899 euros) and has therefore decided to stop production. The scarce units produced have been redistributed in varios markets. It has been known that barely 11 units arrived in Italy, and no others will come. Germany has been more fortunate, with 20 units, and Spain will receive none.

As to why it was decided not to review such a product, apart from its being a clone, it won't be effectively be available on the market (the 11 Italian units are already sold). We thank Tecnofuturo for such a quick communication and we apologize to the enthusiasts. Onkyo is already working actively on a new player and according to tidbits it could be this time a Blu-ray player or a hybrid player. We'll have other news and more confirmation during the upcoming CES at Las Vegas.

Source: Avmagazine.it
  • Reply 4191 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    ^^^Toshiba has effectively priced out any hopes of other vendors wanting to make a buck on HD DVD players as well as hopes of retailers wanting to get the most out of their margins.

If Toshiba keeps it up, it'll be humina-humina-humina POW! Right in the kissa! POW! Right in the kissa! POW! Right in the kissa! POW! Right in the kissa!

-A Family Guy Inside Joke
  • Reply 4192 of 4650
    Why was there no top ten list for last week?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Onkyo is already working actively on a new player and according to tidbits it could be this time a Blu-ray player or a hybrid player.

A combo player would be their best bet. There's only one coming to market this year, and the countless blu-ray players already available are all the same anyhow so there's no sense in throwing another into the ring.
  • Reply 4193 of 4650
    Quote:

Numbers are up. BTW, emig647, it is not that HMM isn't being updated quick enough (as you made it sound as if it was a reoccuring phenomenon), but rather it was a holiday weekend and the official numbers came in today.

Also, the so called BD+ issues you speak of and how they are pissing people off as you say are far and few between. I think more people are probably pissed with slow load times, freezes, and mass problems with combo HD DVD discs. Furthermore, you mention that we have issues because a "number of people" are going into HD DVD due to cheap player prices and yet the sales ratio of discs for Blu-ray over the past four weeks even with Toshiba's fire sale of the A2 is the following...

This is the week blu-ray had buy 1 get 1 free. So I wonder what the numbers would have looked like without that.

As far as BD+ goes, the problem isn't widespread because it's only on 2 movies so far. Silver Surfer and The Day After Tomorrow. If Sony doesn't get BD+ in control... and fast... It's going to blow up for any future releases. Sony has always had the shadiest anti-piracy methods i have ever seen. Remember copy protected cds that you could mark with a sharpie? Either way... Sony just needs to forget about BD+ and I'll be happy. All it does is hurt the end consumer... and this is a PERFECT example.
  • Reply 4194 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:

This is the week blu-ray had buy 1 get 1 free. So I wonder what the numbers would have looked like without that.

As far as BD+ goes, the problem isn't widespread because it's only on 2 movies so far. Silver Surfer and The Day After Tomorrow. If Sony doesn't get BD+ in control... and fast... It's going to blow up for any future releases. Sony has always had the shadiest anti-piracy methods i have ever seen. Remember copy protected cds that you could mark with a sharpie? Either way... Sony just needs to forget about BD+ and I'll be happy. All it does is hurt the end consumer... and this is a PERFECT example.

Keep in mind too, that this is the week HD DVD had a 300+ million dollar grossing blockbuster in Shrek 3 exclusively in its arsenal against pretty much nothing in Blu-ray's arsenal for the week. It appears that even with Shrek, unlike Transformers, HD DVD couldn't even muster getting into the 40s. Just imagine how many more copies and how skewed the numbers would be if Paramount didn't take the bribe.

This war would be pretty much over by now. Unfortunately, Microsoft paid for a delay in HD DVDs demise. No matter, the numbers are still highly in favor for Blu-ray.
  • Reply 4195 of 4650
    Quote:

This war would be pretty much over by now. Unfortunately, Microsoft paid for a delay in HD DVDs demise. No matter, the numbers are still highly in favor for Blu-ray.

Doubtful, considering Blu-Ray players still cost an arm and a leg, and their user base is still largely just PS3 owners with no games to play. And it's no surprise Blu-Ray's numbers are double that of HD DVD, considering they give half of their movies away That is a leg up Sony has over Toshiba; as an actual movie studio, they can control the price of their own titles and offer sweet deals. I imagine HD DVD could benefit from offering a "BOGO" deal every other week, but Toshiba's not in a position to make that happen.
  • Reply 4196 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Doubtful, considering Blu-Ray players still cost an arm and a leg, and their user base is still largely just PS3 owners with no games to play. And it's no surprise Blu-Ray's numbers are double that of HD DVD, considering they give half of their movies away That is a leg up Sony has over Toshiba; as an actual movie studio, they can control the price of the discs.

I'm sorry, but I resent that.

As a PS3 owner, there are PLENTY of awesome exclusives.
  • Reply 4197 of 4650
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Mmm...the only thing reading that thread tells me is that those are the same jerks polluting the AVS forums with format wars.

Didn't see a $99 HD-DVD player and didn't score a cheap console on Amazon. From that thread it appears Walmart paid $185 and sold at a loss which seems damn odd for Walmart but hey, with only 55K units its not that much money for a company like Walmart.

Ah well...
  • Reply 4198 of 4650
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Oh...the highlight of my weekend was helping my brother in law set up a brand new Sony bravia 46" TV...via S-Video...

At least he said he was getting a PS3 for Christmas. I hunted around for component cables but they were too short and his DVD player is pretty old anyway.
  • Reply 4199 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

As far as BD+ goes, the problem isn't widespread because it's only on 2 movies so far. Silver Surfer and The Day After Tomorrow. If Sony doesn't get BD+ in control... and fast... It's going to blow up for any future releases.

BD+ is Fox - not Sony.
  • Reply 4200 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member