When will there be a new iPhone??

Comments

• Reply 81 of 230
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Yes well im counting 2 chickens and I counted on them to hatch at macworld. Most on here scoffed at the idea of a new iphone being announced so soon.

Adding more storage is just a refresh, not really a whole new phone. Its been said a number of times that 3G was coming in 2008.
  • Reply 82 of 230
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SWThomas View Post

I hope Apple reads this thread...

They read all, be sure of that.
  • Reply 83 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Adding more storage is just a refresh, not really a whole new phone. Its been said a number of times that 3G was coming in 2008.

Eh, I give bav. credit here... if all of this does come to fruition, he'll definitely have some credibility with me. He didn't just say 2008... any frigtard coulda pulled that out. He went against popular opinion and said "at macworld in Jan." ... He also stated that a second less expensive iPhone would come out. Nothing was said about 3G.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Ok ive got some major news. 2 new phones will be announced at macworld in Jan. One high end - the true sucessor to iphone and a cheaper more affordable alternative.

It will however be made at Quanta technologies. The current one is made at Foxlink factories in China.

• Reply 84 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

I don't recall ever seeing iPods being updated every 200 days.

Then your memory is faulty.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

They never announce products that'll produce a drop in sales of existing product lines. And iPhone sales fall into this category.

Phones are different in the United States. If Apple won't announce them in advance, the FCC will.
  • Reply 85 of 230
    Yeah... I call Apple's product update the "Pregnancy Cycle" they're always coming out with new updates about every 9 months or so... (give or take)

Phones are different in the United States. If Apple won't announce them in advance, the FCC will.[/QUOTE]

speaking of which... does anyone know for sure ... that a "refresh" or an "update" on the iPhone needs FCC approval. I know that a lot of people imagine it will ... but does anyone know for sure what the legality is?
  • Reply 86 of 230
    thttht Posts: 5,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

Phones are different in the United States. If Apple won't announce them in advance, the FCC will.

Dude, this is Apple we're talking about. They'll get the FCC to keep info about future revisions of the iPhone undisclosed until the last possible moment. Even the 1G iPhone's FCC testing results weren't published until May 2007. 2 month buffer is about the farthest Apple will go with product announcements and product availability.
  • Reply 87 of 230
    thttht Posts: 5,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

speaking of which... does anyone know for sure ... that a "refresh" or an "update" on the iPhone needs FCC approval. I know that a lot of people imagine it will ... but does anyone know for sure what the legality is?

If it is just a storage increase, and doesn't touch the radios, I don't see any reason for the FCC to require retesting.
  • Reply 88 of 230
    Quote:

Eh, I give bav. credit here... if all of this does come to fruition, he'll definitely have some credibility with me. He also stated that a second less expensive iPhone would come out. Nothing was said about 3G.

The report speculates Apple will add more storage to the iPhone in the first half of 2008 and launch a redesigned iPhone with 3G the second half of 2008. It said nothing about an additional less expensive phone nor any of this being announced at MacWorld.
  • Reply 89 of 230
    Quote:

The report speculates Apple will add more storage to the iPhone in the first half of 2008 and launch a redesigned iPhone with 3G the second half of 2008. It said nothing about an additional less expensive phone nor any of this being announced at MacWorld.

Right. So even more reason to give him credit if when on Jan 15th these things turn out. Four weeks.
  • Reply 90 of 230
    4 weeks and counting indeed my friend. All shall be revealed soon.
  • Reply 91 of 230
    Here's rooting for an increased storage model in January so that I can finally buy one of these damned things.
  • Reply 92 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Puck View Post

Here's rooting for an increased storage model in January so that I can finally buy one of these damned things.

I second that. I'm undecided as to whether I should hold out for 3G as well though. Who knows maybe we'll get 2 birds with 1 stone. That would be the ultimate for me. Bav.?,.... you got anything on 3G?
  • Reply 93 of 230
    Quote:

Right. So even more reason to give him credit if when on Jan 15th these things turn out. Four weeks.

Credit for taking a shot in the dark?
  • Reply 94 of 230
    Quote:

Credit for taking a shot in the dark?

Nah, according to Bav... This is an "informed guess"... its on the last page I think. Jan 15th will tell us if he's right. Gotta read whats going.
  • Reply 95 of 230
    So if they do update the iPhone in January to 16GB.. Do you think they will leave the 8GB one at the current price, and the new 16GB will be more expensive?
  • Reply 96 of 230
    Yes thats almost a certainty. The good thing about technologyios that the prices always come down when something bigger and better is announced.
  • Reply 97 of 230
    I would bet that the current one drops in price and the current price point is taken by the 16 gig, if it even is announced or comes out. I would be disappointed if we do not see a 16 gig version soon, as i've held off many months in order to get an iPhone with the added space. It'll all be for naught if we just get a new version 2 in the summer, as i'll then end up buying an 8 gig version anyway.
  • Reply 98 of 230
    My best guess at all of this is that the new phone will be announced in Jan. and then released in March. Who knows for sure.
  • Reply 99 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Puck View Post

I would bet that the current one drops in price and the current price point is taken by the 16 gig, if it even is announced or comes out. I would be disappointed if we do not see a 16 gig version soon, as i've held off many months in order to get an iPhone with the added space. It'll all be for naught if we just get a new version 2 in the summer, as i'll then end up buying an 8 gig version anyway.

i dont think the current price will drop, that would make it too cheap (for an apple product). i think a 16 gig model would fill the gap left by the 8 gig model when it took the place of the 4 gig one.
  • Reply 100 of 230
    So I've been thinking about some things that we're collectively speculating here. I understand that most, if not all of these points are arguable and are just speculative... but just bear with me here. I'm just getting to a point at the end... So anyways... some things that we're collectively speculating:

-16GB iPhone announcement @ MacWorld 2008 (Spotlight on Bav.)

-3G capabilities needed for Japan (Japan does support Edge tech.)*

-3G iPhone coming in '08

-Apple announcements come about every 200 days.

If I were to take an educated stab in the dark, I would say that Apple plans on releasing the 16GB version and 3G version at the same time. Call it strange, but I just don't see Apple releasing two iterations that close to each other. So I'll be the brave soul to say that, I imagine Apple will release this model sometime in the spring.

*http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/18/i...ns-ntt-docomo/