Report downplays concerns over lack of 3G iPhone

Comments

• Reply 121 of 176
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

So people buy 3G phones not only for 3G but for screens, keyboards, third party apps. The iPhone has a better screen than most phones, the keyboard in horizontal view has larger keys than mechanical phones, apps are designed to have similar functionality of desktop apps, websites designed specifically for the iPhone UI. In-spite of this a great number of people want 3G even if they won't often use it.

The keyboard is usable in vertical mode, which is how you have to use it most of the time, which is what matters. And I must agree with Vinea here, people are making more mistakes with it than with a keyboard with actual buttons.

The screen is great, but other than the fact that it is rectangular, my Treo 700p screen is just as good. The rez is 320 x 320.

There are no approved third party apps available for the iPhone as yet.

Quote:

I doubt the advanced people of the UK would have the patience to use over 25Mb if they were slogging as slowly as possible. I also doubt people in the US would use mobile safari more than all windows phones combined if they had to slog as slowly as possible. Google mobile apps saw a 50% spike in use after the June iPhone launch.

Like people here to whom I've spoken who have the iPhone, they're unhappy with the speed, but they use it anyway, because Safari does give them advantages. But not enough of an advantage for those of us who don't have the interest in waiting for it.
  • Reply 122 of 176
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Nice spin but that's not what the article says. It's less than 2% of all monthly contract phones on O2 including non-smartphones and non-3G. Even still, 2% of O2's monthly contract users is probably still more than all iPhone users. Not all of the other phones will be 3G either. Many will be wifi enabled too.

We are saying exactly the same thing. I believe I read O2 UK has 1.8 million subscribers. This is saying roughly 140,000 subscribers that happen to have the same phone use far more data than 1.76 million users with various phones and different plans.

Quote:

A secondary point is O2's data charges which prior to the iPhone were very expensive bolt on extras. They're cheaper now but optional still. Not everyone with a contract will bolt on data, want it or indeed need it. With the iPhone you've no choice - you've paid for it - may as well use it even if it's slow.

When I last looked unlimited data was 7 pounds. You get a free phone, you pay a lower tariff, you're a sophisticated advanced European with 3G, why not pay the additional 7 pounds? I feel some back tracking as the story before was that Europeans demand 3G. If you don't use a data plan their is little need for 3G.

Quote:

It's entirely possible there's still more users with 3G data phones accessing more than 25Mb a month than iPhone users. On the other hand the big screen on the iphone probably makes wanting to use data more likely. Imagine what it'd be like if it had 3G.

2% of 1.8 million is 360,000. So yes in raw numbers their are more 3G phones accessing data than only the iPhone by itself. But the study wasn't looking at raw numbers it was looking at percentages, 60% of all iPhone vs 2% of every other phone on the network.

The article did specifically note more data is downloaded on the iPhone than Nokia N95.

Quote:

I'd be surprised if they see 1 million in Europe personally. The figures weren't sales or activations, they were sales projections.

I would imagine they were activation projections. As that is where O2 primarily makes its profit and cares most about. 1 million over 2 months is not a particularly big number.

Quote:

I'm not sure how they'd even measure wifi data unless it's through the Cloud hotspots. EDGE access barely exists outside London. Again, it's an interesting datapoint but without context it's useless.

Seeing as iPhone users get free Cloud I'm sure their is frequent use where it exists. The Cloud can record the number of iPhones that use its networks.

What do you mean without context? The context is that of O2 subscribers 2% of those without iPhones use the same amount of data as 60% of those with iPhones.
  • Reply 123 of 176
    Quote:

Yup. Add a tiny number of new phones into a tiny market (America is about 10% of smartphone use) and you'll double your usage figures. Sounds impressive but it's not. It just shows how crap WinMo is.

Not tiny at all. The US has the worlds 3rd largest population and the worlds top GDP at over 13 trillion. Which nearly equals the GDP of the entire European Union combined. At the end of the quarter Apple will have sold millions of iPhones here.

If that is what it means for Windows Mobile what does it mean for Nokia barely registers in US sales.

Quote:

The keyboard is usable in vertical mode, which is how you have to use it most of the time, which is what matters. And I must agree with Vinea here, people are making more mistakes with it than with a keyboard with actual buttons.

Its a challenge and takes time to learn but its easier than typing 4-3-5-5-6 to say hello.

Quote:

There are no approved third party apps available for the iPhone as yet.

February is nearly here.
  • Reply 124 of 176
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

Instead of sticking with the substance of what I say you attempt to come up with these obviously sensational over the top versions of what I've said. It doesn't really help your argument.

They're not over the top, they simply condense your arguments so I don't have to bloviate ad nauseum rehashing them. Perhaps if you'd stick to one main avenue of spin instead of thrashing about wildly for any and all justifications, I wouldn't have to be brief.

Quote:

A lot of people loved the Cube

Not enough, sadly. R.I.P.

Quote:

it would have sold well had Apple repositioned it

And yet they didn't. Because repositioning the Cube would've meant repricing it, downwards, and Apple wouldn't have liked the lower margins. So they killed it. Still, you'd think they would've seen all that coming. Looks like Apple does not have a crystal ball, as I've said.

Quote:

You posted numbers that had no correlation to the wider mobile phone sales or gave any evidence if those sales are profitable for Apple or its partners. Taking all of that into account is a sober realistic assessment.

Spinning wildly just because you don't like the Euro launch sales numbers is the very SOUL of not taking a sober realistic assessment, Teno.

I'm sorry if reality is not much to your liking, but that does not change it any.

Quote:

Looking at sales numbers and comparing that to the unusually high sales that same product had in another market to justify calling it a failure is not a sober realistic assessment.

If that was all that I was doing, you might almost have a point. But it isn't. I also took into account Apple's OWN publicly-stated goal of selling 10 million iPhones in 2008. Sizing up the Euro (and US) numbers, they won't make that, unless one of three scenarios occur:

1- US numbers take off to even much higher levels than they are now. This is unlikely however, due to the fact that the economy is heading towards recession, with high gas prices and a credit crunch to boot. Additionally, ATT being the sole carrier limits the appeal, due to ATT not being good in many regions of the country, and potential iPhone buyers on other carriers being under contract.

So, on to scenario #2...

2- Euro numbers suddenly take off. This is unlikely as well, due to the fact that a mediocre launch does not set up a sudden sales spurt terribly well, plus Apple is not giving the Euros the product they really want (3G, MMS, etc). In addition, there are pricing issues. On to scenario #3...

3- The iPhone absolutely kills in Asia. Could happen, particularly since Apple will have a 3G iPhone for the Asian launch, but, as you've been told, the Asian market is the toughest in the world, with the most advanced competing phones and most demanding customers.

Hopefully, the iPhone's feature set will be able to compete there (i.e. has all the stuff the Asian market wants along with 3G), but given Apple's slightly arrogant moves of late, I do wonder.

So, what we end up is two unlikely scenarios, and one 'who knows' scenario, for Apple to make its goal. This is not particularly promising.

One further point to emphasize:

Quote:

comparing that to the unusually high sales that [the iPhone] had in another market (the US)

Thing is, the US sales really AREN'T unusually high... rather, they are merely adequate, going by Apple's own goal. Roughly 1.1 million iPhones were sold in the US during Q3, which is a 4.4 million per year pace.

Nice, but as you yourself stated, the US may well account for half of worldwide sales. If they do, that pace is not quite good enough for Apple to meet it's goal of selling 10 million iPhone per year. All the more reason for Apple to NOT have a weak showing in Europe and Asia, rather than leaning overmuch on the US to save them. \

Quote:

That is all purely hype and no substance. What the press says has no relation to how well Apple products are selling or how profitable they are. Seeing as Apple stock has continued to do well the street is paying this no attention.

Interesting that you should mention the stock price... seeing as much of the past year's run-up of Apple's stock is based on expectations and analyst predictions that Apple will not only meet its iPhone sales goals, but beat them by a wide margin.

Which makes the lackluster Euro launch all the more scary for Apple, and Apple stockholders like me.

Quote:

We don't have enough evidence to say how well the phone is doing.

We have enough evidence to say that the European launch did not go well, and in contrast we have your 'wish upon a star' spin that somehow the numbers will be better AFTER the launch, which goes against all logic.

After all, US sales numbers did not suddenly accelerate after the launch, rather they did exactly what you'd expect them to, which was to drop very significantly.

You didn't really expect Apple to hold that 90k-iPhones-sold-per-day US launch pace, now did you? Apple would've sold 8 million (!) iPhones in Q3 at that pace, but they didn't, they sold 1.1 million instead, or about one-seventh of their launch pace.

So tell me again how Euro sales are going to automagically increase and trump their launch pace?

• Reply 125 of 176
    Quote:

Here are some new numbers.

Financial Times: iPhone key to O2 growth

[i]Matthew Key the incoming chief executive of O2 Europe says 200,000 iPhones should be sold in the UK by early January, which is in line with his expectations since the November 9 launch, although some analysts claim his target is conservative. Gartner, the research firm, says sales of up to 400,000 should be possible.

Oh, Teno, that's funny.

You try to counter Euro iPhone launch sales with "expectations" about what the iPhone "should" sell from the CEO of O2 itself?? Gee, that's not a biased source or anything. Not that it really matters, since he's very likely just making some brave noises (i.e. spinning).

He's the second-to-last person on the planet (after Jobs) to ever say, "Yeah, the Euro iPhone launch kinda screwed the pooch." Why don't we ask the CEO of ATT for some negative quotes while we're at it?

Or better yet, let's have a look at how things have been going just recently on the O2 Predictions vs Reality scorecard:

UK iPhone sales a quarter of what O2 predicted

Apple and O2 have been taking hits recently for poor sales performance of the iPhone in the UK, with would-be users complaining that the price is too high and those who have taken the plunge having problems with coverage. Nevertheless, O2 have been calling it the “fastest selling device [we’ve] ever seen” and the company estimated 100,000 handsets would be activated in the first fortnight of availability. Sources close to AppleInsider, however, cast a different light, claiming that the flagship Regent Street Apple store was still working from stock delivered prior to the 9th November launch.

New estimates peg the actual number of handsets activated at just 26,500, a quarter of what O2 predicted, with the Regent Street store selling less than 100 iPhones per day and making a relatively small dent in the several thousand-strong shipment they received.

While it’s dangerous to place too much stock in an unnamed source, the news joins a large body of existing criticism and reticence of the UK iPhone and points to a device that is suffering disappointing sales.

It’s looking more and more likely that warnings prior to UK availability - that the user-base is significantly different to that in the US, and would be unwilling to pay a high price for a device that, on paper at least, lacks many features British users take for granted - should have been heeded when O2 and Apple made their sales predictions.

http://www.myitablet.com/uk-iphone-s...ted-271784.php

Scorecard Thus Far:

Reality: 1

O2: 0

• Reply 126 of 176
    Quote:

Now you are just being stubborn Mel. Pretty much the only advantage of 3G is sending data and the internet.

In the context of the iPhone, that's a fairly silly statement. \

What is the iPhone, after all? It's a phone, an iPod, and a breakthrough Internet device... to use Jobs' very own words. But break that down some:

Phone- There's nothing super-special about the 'phone' part of the iPhone. Its a bit easier to set up a conference call and call up contacts while talking... that's mostly it.

iPod- Nice, but many people who want an iPod already have one, and those who don't can get one if they change their minds.

Breakthrough Internet device- THIS is 'teh sexay' part of the iPhone. Other smartphones have browsers, but the functionality and ease-of-use gap between Safari and the other phones' various 'minibrowsers' and assorted other kludges is pretty huge.

So if the big deal of the iPhone is its Internet capabilities, how important then is having 3G vs EDGE, or, as is the case in much of Europe, 3G vs GPRS/dial-up speed networking?

It's pretty huge, obviously.

Your other statements regarding data usage of iPhone users vs non-iPhone users actually underscores this. Even under klunky GPRS and EDGE, iPhone users are using much more data per capita than non-iPhone users (though not as much as you imply, since, as Aegis pointed out, you spun the numbers).

This is largely because the iPhone Internet user experience is better. So imagine how much MORE data iPhone customers would use if the Internet user experience was an order of magnitude better still, i.e. they had good data speeds (3G) instead of crappy slow ones?

It's largely about (internet) user experience: Other phones < iPhone < 3G iPhone.

• Reply 127 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Nice spin but that's not what the article says. It's less than 2% of all monthly contract phones on O2 including non-smartphones and non-3G. Even still, 2% of O2's monthly contract users is probably still more than all iPhone users. Not all of the other phones will be 3G either. Many will be wifi enabled too.

I think we're all getting a bit queasy from Teno's endless spin.

Quote:

A secondary point is O2's data charges which prior to the iPhone were very expensive bolt-on extras. They're cheaper now but optional still. Not everyone with a contract will bolt-on data, want it or indeed need it. With the iPhone you've no choice - you've paid for it - may as well use it even if it's slow.

Good point.

Quote:

It's entirely possible there's still more users with 3G data phones accessing more than 25Mb a month than iPhone users. On the other hand the big screen on the iphone probably makes wanting to use data more likely. Imagine what it'd be like if it had 3G.

Exactly.

• Reply 128 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Yup. Add a tiny number of new phones into a tiny market (America is about 10% of smartphone use) and you'll double your usage figures. Sounds impressive but it's not. It just shows how crap WinMobile is.

Yep. Windows Mobile has been around for several years, yet has only 6% of the worldwide smartphone market and only 0.6% of the overall market. The US is about the only place WM does even close to well.

Comparing yourself to Windows Mobile is like saying you're the tallest pygmy... the bar is set quite low.

• Reply 129 of 176
    Quote:

If that is what it means for Windows Mobile what does it mean for Nokia barely registers in US sales.

Nokia barely registers in US sales, but that' about the only market where Nokia does badly, for various reasons (the US loves CDMA but Nokia loves GSM, the US loves flip phones while Nokia prefers to make bar phones, etc). However, outside the US, they do well. Thus Nokia is #1 in the world at present, with something like 40 percent worldwide marketshare, despite poor US sales.

Quote:

Its a challenge and takes time to learn but its easier than typing 4-3-5-5-6 to say hello.

I would disagree. If you're used to predictive texting, it's actually faster, especially counting the many mistakes you'll be making on the iPhone's tiny portrait virtual keyboard. \

With the landscape keyboard I'd call it a slight edge to the iPhone, but Apple sadly doesn't let you use that keyboard except in the Safari app.

• Reply 130 of 176
    Quote:

We are saying exactly the same thing. I believe I read O2 UK has 1.8 million subscribers. This is saying roughly 140,000 subscribers that happen to have the same phone use far more data than 1.76 million users with various phones and different plans.

You seem to have your decimal place in the wrong place. 18 million subscribers would be more correct.

I'll not rehash the same old arguments.
  • Reply 131 of 176
    Quote:

Still, even with practice, more errors are made.

Quote:

February is nearly here.

But, its not here yet. We aren't talking about later in 2008, when, hopefully, a proper SDK will be allowing a wide range of programs. But, we don't know what Apple is intending with this. That question has been discussed here.

At any rate, we're talking about what's available now. What may be available in the future isn't relevant to this discussion, because, as you know, even Apple understands that the lack of 3G is unacceptable, long term, and that they claim to be waiting for the electronics they need to make it possible.

When Apple gets its act together, and completes this product as it should have been, and that also includes fixing the software to have it function properly, including editing, horizontal keyboard across ALL uses, grouped deletes from mail, etc., the phone will become even more desireable, and the sales will climb much higher than they are now.

No one can dispute that.
  • Reply 132 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

At any rate, we're talking about what's available now. What may be available in the future isn't relevant to this discussion, because, as you know, even Apple understands that the lack of 3G is unacceptable, long term, and that they claim to be waiting for the electronics they need to make it possible.

When Apple gets its act together, and completes this product as it should have been, and that also includes fixing the software to have it function properly, including editing, horizontal keyboard across ALL uses, grouped deletes from mail, etc., the phone will become even more desireable, and the sales will climb much higher than they are now.

No one can dispute that.

Absolutely true. Even I and my immediate family are evidence of that.

My brother is waiting for a 3G iPhone before he'll buy. I'm waiting for a 3G iPhone and for ATT not to be the exclusive carrier.

• Reply 133 of 176
    People would be better off getting an iPod Touch, and a real, cheaper phone to go along with that.

The iPod Touch/iPhone is a sexy piece of kit (I bought an iPod Touch 16 GB for my mom for x-mas), but that is basically just an iPod with Safari - beyond that, it's empty and lacks substance (needs 3rd party apps in the worst way). And dealing with iTunes to sync photos is just asinine - dragging and dropping from Explorer or Finder would be so much better, but that's going OT.

My Nokia is a better phone than the iPhone, phone, EDGE is brutal, and if I was going to spend $400 on a phone, it will be unlocked, and I will simply transfer my SIM over.

And I hate ATT to boot, and almost all of the US carriers as well - such a nickel and dime-ing operation.
  • Reply 134 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

PAnd dealing with iTunes to sync photos is just asinine - dragging and dropping from Explorer or Finder would be so much better, but that's going OT.

Or they could do it the way a Sony Ericsson W580i works with a Mac. You plug the phone in via USB and iPhoto starts up and you can transfer photos that way.

Or is that too logical for Apple ???
  • Reply 135 of 176
    Quote:

You seem to have your decimal place in the wrong place. 18 million subscribers would be more correct.

Right, thanks.

Quote:

You try to counter Euro iPhone launch sales with "expectations" about what the iPhone "should" sell from the CEO of O2 itself?? Gee, that's not a biased source or anything. Not that it really matters, since he's very likely just making some brave noises (i.e. spinning)

Yes the CEO himself. He certainly does not want make inflated predictions that don't come true. If he set expectations at a level that are not met he would risk the confidence in O2's stock and the confidence of O2's board of directors in him.

Quote:

Still, even with practice, more errors are made.

Is that conjecture or from your many hours of iPhone keyboard use?

Quote:

But, its not here yet. At any rate, we're talking about what's available now. What may be available in the future isn't relevant to this discussion,

Of course it isn't. Because all of this complaining would be for nothing if we acknowledged there will be a solution.

Quote:

the phone will become even more desireable, and the sales will climb much higher than they are now. No one can dispute that.

I'm not disputing the possibility of this. What I am disputing is that unless you went into a parallel universe where the iPhone that you prefer exists and could see that it did sell better than the version in our universe. The fact that we are trapped in our current reality there is no way to know that for sure.

The iPhone currently being Apple's most hyped Christmas gadget WallStreet doesn't seem to find fault with the Euro sales numbers as Apples stock only continues to climb.

You are essentially basing this on the first week of sales which really gives us little useful information. We don't yet know how many iPhones Apple will have sold this quarter. Ultimately that will give us a better picture of how it all is going.
  • Reply 136 of 176
    Quote:

Is that conjecture or from your many hours of iPhone keyboard use?

No, wiseguy. It's from the report that Vinea supplied, which was a test between the iPhone keyboard, an alphanumeric model with buttons, and a standard numeric keyboard with multi press.

I read it, did you?

I found it, here:

http://www.usercentric.com/iPhone/iPhone3_Nov07.pdf

Quote:

Of course it isn't. Because all of this complaining would be for nothing if we acknowledged there will be a solution.

It's not complaining. it's correcting your incorrect assumptions.

Quote:

I'm not disputing the possibility of this. What I am disputing is that unless you went into a parallel universe where the iPhone that you prefer exists and could see that it did sell better than the version in our universe. The fact that we are trapped in our current reality there is no way to know that for sure.

Since you like to make assumptions, you may as well make this one as well. An iPhone with 3G will sell better than one without, as long as Apple doesn't decide to gauge us for the privilege.

Quote:

The iPhone currently being Apple's most hyped Christmas gadget WallStreet doesn't seem to find fault with the Euro sales numbers as Apples stock only continues to climb.

They're looking long term, they also know that jobs said the phone would have 3G this year.

Quote:

You are essentially basing this on the first week of sales which really gives us little useful information. We don't yet know how many iPhones Apple will have sold this quarter. Ultimately that will give us a better picture of how it all is going.

We don't, though you don't seem to mind giving us numbers of your own making.
  • Reply 137 of 176
    Quote:

Yes the CEO himself. He certainly does not want make inflated predictions that don't come true. If he set expectations at a level that are not met he would risk the confidence in O2's stock and the confidence of O2's board of directors in him.

Teno... what part of this did you miss?:

Apple and O2 have been taking hits recently for poor sales performance of the iPhone in the UK, with would-be users complaining that the price is too high and those who have taken the plunge having problems with coverage. Nevertheless, O2 have been calling it the “fastest selling device [we’ve] ever seen” and the company estimated 100,000 handsets would be activated in the first fortnight of availability. Sources close to AppleInsider, however, cast a different light, claiming that the flagship Regent Street Apple store was still working from stock delivered prior to the 9th November launch.

New estimates peg the actual number of handsets activated at just 26,500, a quarter of what O2 predicted, with the Regent Street store selling less than 100 iPhones per day and making a relatively small dent in the several thousand-strong shipment they received.

While it’s dangerous to place too much stock in an unnamed source, the news joins a large body of existing criticism and reticence of the UK iPhone and points to a device that is suffering disappointing sales.

It’s looking more and more likely that warnings prior to UK availability - that the user-base is significantly different to that in the US, and would be unwilling to pay a high price for a device that, on paper at least, lacks many features British users take for granted - should have been heeded when O2 and Apple made their sales predictions.

http://www.myitablet.com/uk-iphone-s...ted-271784.php

Scorecard Thus Far:

Reality: 1

O2: 0

Their track record... not good. Obviously.

Tell me Teno, when reality goes against what you're saying, is it your usual custom to stick your fingers in your ears and yell, "LALALALALALA!!!". Because that's what you've been doing here. Makes it difficult to take you seriously.

Quote:

Meaningless, considering the stock would almost certainly be higher still if Apple had a 3G iPhone out. Also a bit of a house of cards, taking into account that much of stock's rise is based on expectations and analyst predictions of Apple beating its iPhone sales goals by a wide margins, something that's starting to look quite dicey what with the lackluster Euro launch.

• Reply 138 of 176
    Quote:

No, wiseguy. It's from the report that Vinea supplied, which was a test between the iPhone keyboard, an alphanumeric model with buttons, and a standard numeric keyboard with multi press.

OK I hadn't seen that. Good to know.

Quote:

It's not complaining. it's correcting your incorrect assumptions. Since you like to make assumptions, you may as well make this one as well. An iPhone with 3G will sell better than one without, as long as Apple doesn't decide to gauge us for the privilege.

What assumptions am I making. I'm the guy saying lets wait and see what unfolds.

Quote:

They're looking long term, they also know that jobs said the phone would have 3G this year.

Which is a rational way to look at it. And is the same as what I'm saying.

Quote:

We don't, though you don't seem to mind giving us numbers of your own making.

What's the harm in making a guess?

Quote:

That blog is from November 27th and is based on information from some unknown source. You compare that to projections from O2 CEO printed in the Financial Times?

Hmmm which is more credible an unknown source in an anonymous blog posted a month ago. Or a quote from the CEO in the most influential financial paper in England from last week. That's a tough one.
  • Reply 139 of 176
    Quote:

What assumptions am I making. I'm the guy saying lets wait and see what unfolds.

I'm referring to your million number.

Quote:

Which is a rational way to look at it. And is the same as what I'm saying.

I'm happy you see it that way.

Quote:

What's the harm in making a guess?

No harm at all, but you were criticizing me for using numbers of an estimate that were published by someone who, since it's his business, presumably has some idea of what he's talking about.

Those numbers of yours were just, as you say, a guess.

Quote:

That blog is from November 27th and is based on information from some unknown source. You compare that to projections from O2 CEO printed in the Financial Times?

It wasn't an unknown source.

Company execs get over excited, let us say. I seem to remember that the CEO's and Chairmen from both MCI and Enron were claiming that their companies were doing fine and dandy just before they went under.

They were also quoted in the top financial papers.

Quote:

Hmmm which is more credible an unknown source in an anonymous blog posted a month ago. Or a quote from the CEO in the most influential financial paper in England from last week. That's a tough one.

See my answer above.
  • Reply 140 of 176
    Quote:

The 26,500 figure is from The Register, re-posted without attribution in that blog.

The CEO's numbers in the FT were the same from before the launch.

They're both about as believable as each other IMHO and both not very impressive.