Sources: MacBook Air battery replacements take only minutes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 222
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heaven or las vegas View Post

I do businees on my iPhone and its battery is not user replaceable. Ditto Air.

Number one hardware complaint with the iPhone: No user replaceable battery.
  • Reply 22 of 222
    Ok, so lets say I'm a road warrior - travelling with my macAIR. It would be VERY NICE if I was able to carry a spare battery with me, and swap it in, when the current one drains, and there's no power outlet nearby to charge it up. Carrying around a screwdriver with me to do that each time (and voiding the warranty mind you) would be complete PITA everytime I wanted to swap batteries.
  • Reply 23 of 222
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IAmMacUser View Post

I prefer this over a removable battery...

• Reply 24 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It would also add bulk and perhaps weaken the structure. You don't think they experimented with removable batteries?

You're right...Apple no longer demonstrates engineering prowess. Easily changed user batteries are out of their realm. What is happening with Apple is that they are taking away user choices versus increasing them. What do users dislike the most about Apple laptops: A single button bar versus a two button bar that would easily allow right-clicks or other assignments. But wait, Jobs thinks it cool to have the simplicity of one, so we get one. Apple now thinks for us because we are incapable of thinking for ourselves.
  • Reply 25 of 222
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

Apple can design a thin laptop, but cannot design a user replaceable battery? What's wrong with this picture?

Uh, maybe because Apple doesn't 'design' batteries at all? They use the best available.
  • Reply 26 of 222
    I swear that there is a contingent on this list who would bitch if Jesus himself walked up to them and offered them immortality because it got boring after a while.

Assuming there are sales numbers to justify it, replacement venues will be abundant, and as was pointed out, a magsafe battery pack is a no-brainer.

And if there isn't one, then design one, start a company and get rich yourself!

But that would require actual talent and ambition, rather than just bitching abilities, wouldn't it?
  • Reply 27 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

User-replaceable anything costs more to design and manufacture,

Okay, but the base model of this is already 1800. Most people ready to put that kind of dough into a laptop are gong to be putting several hundred dollars more lipstick on their pig (RAM upgrades, harddrive upgrades, optical drives) in any case.

The ultralight market is not driven by turtleneck wearing 20-somethings. It's dominated by people who are buying for business use. And one of the things I need in my ultralight is the ability to hibernate the system, swap battery, and keep working. I bought two high capacity batteries for it, along with a docking bay that has an optical drive (and which I use almost never - but when I need it? I freaking need it) I swap the batteries quite regularly. Over time, the performance degrades and by having two batteries I a) see less of a hit on either one of the batteries and b) am less affected by the fall-off than I would be without the spare.

I didn't buy this system so I could tell my boss why it wasn't working.

Quote:

and takes up more room.

Um. Aren't they paying the dough to the designers to come up with clever ways for the

batteries to not increase the footprint?

Quote:

As someone who, in the past seven years of laptop use as my primary machine, has never owned or used a second battery, I find the uproar over this to be bizarre. Are there folks who *need* this feature? I'm sure there are. But they're really not that high a % of the market, as I see it.

Lots of people could use the feature. I don't know how many people understand the value of having a second battery hot and on hand, but for me it's very valuable.

In my line of work, the other mistake Apple has made is to not include an integrated ethernet port. My laptop is a work box, and I frequently am using it because I need to troubleshoot a network outage. So I need to be able to plug into a switch port, end of story.

The weirder lapse is the lack of an EVDO antenna. Apple understands the importance of that tech, obviously. Lenovo and Sony both sell laptops with integrated EVDO. The flagship spendy Apple ultraportable doesn't have it? Weird.

My personal laptop also has several batteries - the one it came with, and the pair I bought for it three years after I first bought it.

Quote:

Because, you know, it killed the iPod.

Someone else already tagged you on this, but I will, too: this is a really, really dumb comparison. If my ipod stops running, I'm cool with that. I'll find a different toy to play with. My ipod crashing has never cost my company money.

Meantime, I'm sorry I won't be looking at one of these Macs. No wireline, no EVDO, no field-replaceable battery? I'll just install one of the OS X cracks on a Lenovo, or better still a fully legal and supported SuSE or a fully legal and fun to play with FreeBSD.
  • Reply 28 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Uh, maybe because Apple doesn't 'design' batteries at all? They use the best available.

Yeah, ok, right. Apple has the exclusive inside deal on "the best available batteries", like no one else can get them... or only Apple has the nads to spend the money. Sure pal.

The real, non-zombie view here is Jobs is yet again letting his ideas on style interfere with real usability. I'd love to get one of these laptops myself, I'd immediately blow away osx and install Linux on the thing, but I do appreciate the lightness, the LACK of an optical drive (yes, I consider that a plus, not a bad thing) and the styling. But I'm guessing that same styling will prevent a third party from making an extra capacity battery for this. Maybe Jobs will be trotting one out later, but its also possible he would consider such an add-on a detraction from the 'aesthetics' of this product. Its been Job's modus operandi since the first Mac. And a real pain in the ass for power users. And Apple should have moved to the Intel platform YEARS ago.
  • Reply 29 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by interval View Post

Yeah, ok, right. Apple has the exclusive inside deal on "the best available batteries", like no one else can get them... or only Apple has the nads to spend the money. Sure pal.

The real, non-zombie view here is Jobs is yet again letting his ideas on style interfere with real usability. I'd love to get one of these laptops myself, I'd immediately blow away osx and install Linux on the thing, but I do appreciate the lightness, the LACK of an optical drive (yes, I consider that a plus, not a bad thing) and the styling. But I'm guessing that same styling will prevent a third party from making an extra capacity battery for this. Maybe Jobs will be trotting one out later, but its also possible he would consider such an add-on a detraction from the 'aesthetics' of this product. Its been Job's modus operandi since the first Mac. And a real pain in the ass for power users. And Apple should have moved to the Intel platform YEARS ago.

Guess you won't be buying one, then huh?

In case you're interested, you're echoing the same venom we've been hearing since 1984 when DOS users scoffed at the horrible limitations Jobs was 'inflicting' on users with that childish GUI.

The Jobs hatred really does get old after a while, dontcha think?

But welcome!
  • Reply 30 of 222
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

I swear that there is a contingent on this list who would bitch if Jesus himself walked up to them and offered them immortality because it got boring after a while.

Assuming there are sales numbers to justify it, replacement venues will be abundant, and as was pointed out, a magsafe battery pack is a no-brainer.

And if there isn't one, then design one, start a company and get rich yourself!

But that would require actual talent and ambition, rather than just bitching abilities, wouldn't it?

Well I swear that there are one too many Applefanboysandgirls on here (no names mentioned) who would never in a million years, over their dead mother's body, ever think or say anything different that does not agree with whatever Apple releases. And if you disagree with Apple, they will put you down, call you a troll, and swear you are a Microsoft spy. They should practice what they preach and, no pun intended, "Think Different".
  • Reply 31 of 222
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple didn't do it to make money. They did it to cut down on engineering and manufacturing costs, and to reduce the size and weight.

While you are correct, that having to send any item in for repair is a pain, this is not to be one's main machine. Honestly, how many people will be sending it in to Apple for a battery replacement. How many times have you purchased replacement batteries for new computers. Most people buy new computers well before their battery ever fails.

You seem to know a lot about "what most people do" and why "Apple does things". Are you employed by Apple and on its board of directors to be privy to such information? Are you employed by Gallop and polling people on what they do and think?
  • Reply 32 of 222
    The reality is it doesn't take minutes it takes 5 days. And what if I am in a factory doing a photo or video shoot and I have no AC and no battery replacement.

Pathetic decision by apple. If the MacBook and MacBook Air was same price I would still buy the macbook that is plenty portable.
  • Reply 33 of 222
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well I swear that there are one too many Applefanboysandgirls on here (no names mentioned) who would never in a million years, over their dead mother's body, ever think or say anything different that does not agree with whatever Apple releases. And if you disagree with Apple, they will put you down, call you a troll, and swear you are a Microsoft spy. They should practice what they preach and, no pun intended, "Think Different".

teckstud, you are totally a Microsoft spy (I swear you are).
  • Reply 34 of 222
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

They should practice what they preach and, no pun intended, "Think Different".

Thinking Different is ok when it's different from everyone else except Apple.
  • Reply 35 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

It's already overpriced so what's a few more dollars? Besides, it would may the unit more salable. And Apple can sell you spare overpriced batteries, so what's the issue? Period.

This is just negative.

Granted I have to see the "Air" in person, but what I get from

all the pics around, it might be the perfect machine for me.

Concerning the battery issue, there is no issue at all.

Believe me, I know a lot of people, who essentially depend on their

mobile computer, me included, and they all do not have any need

for a second battery to travel with.

Okay this is no hard evidence, though, bottom line: the battery issue is

highly overrated.

best
  • Reply 36 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

The reality is it doesn't take minutes it takes 5 days. And what if I am in a factory doing a photo or video shoot and I have no AC and no battery replacement.

Then it was the wrong tool to buy, wasn't it?

See there's this concept... the right tool for the job.
  • Reply 37 of 222
    Quote:

You seem to know a lot about "what most people do" and why "Apple does things". Are you employed by Apple and on its board of directors to be privy to such information? Are you employed by Gallop and polling people on what they do and think?

Didn't Steve admit in his keynote that the original Apple TV was not what people wanted?
  • Reply 38 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by interval View Post

And Apple should have moved to the Intel platform YEARS ago.

Apple will never switch to Intel chips.

There will be no video iPods because nobody wants to watch movies on iPods.

There will be no iPhone SDK for third party developers.

Apple will not make a mobile phone.
  • Reply 39 of 222
    Quote:

If offered immortality I wouldn't give a rat's arse about the MacBook Air, or Apple for that matter.
  • Reply 40 of 222
    A couple of points to make:

I would never buy the Mac Air. Like the Palm Foleo it missed the mark. Like the Foleo, it too is overpriced.

So what if it is thinnest? It's not the lightest ultra-portable. Weight is clearly more important than thickness. Like most Mac products they are only complementary, and you still need something else to get the job done.

What if you just want to take out the battery? I can do it in two seconds on an OLD Dell laptop which has a battery level indicator built in. I can instantly tell the charge level. I can also swap batteries, due to multiple universal bays.

Does Apple do focus groups, questionaires and listen to their buyers? I can't imagine being asked, "Would you like to be able to replace the battery easily?" and answering, "No, I want to have to send my laptop away."

From Apple's own website:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

"Long Term Storage

If you don?t plan on using your notebook for more than six months, Apple recommends that you remove and store the battery with a 50% charge. If you store a battery when it?s fully discharged, it could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding any charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may experience some loss of battery capacity, meaning it will have a shorter life. Be sure to store the ejected battery at the proper temperature. (See ?Notebook Temperate Zone.?)"

Ultimately, it would be fine for most people if you can easily replace it yourself without warranty hurdles. Most people do not change the battery very often, only when it no longer holds a charge. But sending your notebook to Apple just for a new battery is just plain stupid. The Air must be thin at APPL. Someone please give them oxygen.