Microsoft: Vista successor may not arrive until 2011

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Oh my... So, this is Mac OS X 10.6? Or better keep that for later...
  • Reply 62 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doemel View Post

As a die hard Mac fan I have to admit that MS made some progress towards stability from Win 95 to Win XP SP2, even if it took them the better part of 10 years

To my knowledge OSX 10.0, which was not known for its stability, came out in 2001. I do have to admit that Apple made some progress towards stability from 10.0 to 10.5. And more OSX updates are still on the horizon. Operating systems are complicated things and take time to develop and mature. I'm just suprised that there's already talk of a sucessor to Vista. I predict 4+ years of service packs.
  • Reply 63 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Greasybaz View Post

To my knowledge OSX 10.0, which was not known for its stability, came out in 2001. I do have to admit that Apple made some progress towards stability from 10.0 to 10.5. And more OSX updates are still on the horizon. Operating systems are complicated things and take time to develop and mature. I'm just suprised that there's already talk of a sucessor to Vista. I predict 4+ years of service packs.

Yes, I agree, OSs are complex and take time to develop. You're wrong about OSX though, it achieved a decent level of stability with 10.2. which was released only 1.5 years after 10.0. The Win95 code base took much longer to be sorted out.
  • Reply 64 of 90
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wally View Post

Quality bar? Quality bar!? Microsoft has a quality bar? I need to see this...

That would explain why they write code like they're drunk.
  • Reply 65 of 90
    Quote:

And it's an animal in real life, too. Apparently lions and tigers can successfully mate:

Offspring of a male lion and female tiger. We have a Liger at the zoo in my town.

If you have a male tiger and female lion breed, you get a tigon

Male ligers are sterile, but females are not. If you breed a male lion with a female liger, you get a li-liger.

http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/ligers2.html

Now back to your normally scheduled Microsoft bashing.
  • Reply 66 of 90
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Microsoft should take a cue from Apple and name their OS releases after animals. Windows Wooly Mammoth sounds about right.
  • Reply 67 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Microsoft should take a cue from Apple and name their OS releases after animals. Windows Wooly Mammoth sounds about right.

windows rats?
  • Reply 68 of 90
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Now that Mac OS X has matured I think the next name should be Cougar.

Yeah, but they'd just change it to "OS X Mellencamp" after a year....
  • Reply 69 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -Nova- View Post

I like Ocelot.

Got my vote.

Funny, the disaster of Vista shows that Apple did the right thing re-writing the OS from the ground up. It saved them a LOT of headaches...
  • Reply 70 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

With something as complicated as an OS, you need to do frequent incremental releases, not big whammys. Apple has the right model (as the progress of OS X vs Windows shows).

I agree.

Quote:

... Jessica Alba, screaming into an oven.

What movie is that from?
  • Reply 71 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Windows 3.0

Windows 3.1

Windows 95

Windows NT

Windows 98

Windows 2000

Windows Millennium Edition (Me)

Windows XP

Windows Vista

Now Windows 7.

These boys can't even get a logical naming scheme.

There were a lot more versions than that:

Windows 1.0 - Nov. 20, 1985

Windows 2.0 - Dec. 9, 1987

Windows 3.0 - May 22, 1990

Windows 3.1 - Aug. 1992

Windows for Workgroups 3.1 - Oct. 1992

Windows NT 3.1 - Aug. 1993

Windows for Workgroups 3.11 - Nov. 1993 (One of my favorites!)

Windows 3.2 (Chinese only) - Oct. 1993

Windows NT 3.5 - Sept. 1994

Windows NT 3.51 - June 1995

Windows 95 - Aug. 24, 1995 (I remember that day vividly)

Windows 95 SP1 - Dec. 31, 1995

Windows NT 4.0 - July 29, 1996

Windows 95 OSR2 - Aug. 24, 1996

Windows 95 OSR2.1 - Aug. 27, 1997

Windows 98 - June 25, 1998

Windows 98 Second Edition - May 5, 1999

Windows ME - June 19, 2000

Windows 2000 - February 17, 2000

(came in Professional, Server, Advanced Server, Datacenter Server)

Windows XP - October 25, 2001

(came in XP 64-bit Edition, XP Professional for Intel IA-64)

Windows Tablet PC Edition

Windows Media Center Edition (2003, 2004, 2005)

Windows XP Tablet PC Edition (upgrade 2005)

Windows XP Professional x64 (x86-64)

Windows XP Professional N (no Windows Media Player)

Windows XP Professional

Windows XP Home Edition N (no Windows Media Player)

Windows XP Home

Windows XP Starter Edition (for developing countries)

Windows Server 2003 (Small Business Server, Web Edition, Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition, Datacenter Edition, Storage Server)

Windows XP Embedded

Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs

Windows Embedded CE 6.0

Windows Vista (Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, Ultimate)

Windows Home Server)

Windows Server 2008 (upcoming.. to include: Web Server, Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition, Datacenter Edition, Storage Server, Small Business Server, Essential Business Server)

Windows 7 (upcoming)

This exhaustive list also does not include the Windows CE based OS: (Windows Mobile, Win CE1.0, Win CE 2.0, Win CE 2.1, Win CE, 2.11, Win CE 2.12, Win CE 3.0, Win CE)

And... I wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing some like the Windows Mobile 4, 5, 6, etc.

I think the Mac is pretty tame when it comes to versions compared to Microsoft.
  • Reply 72 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

Yeah, but they'd just change it to "OS X Mellencamp" after a year....

LOL

And I don't care about this, really. By 2011, I'll definitely have a Mac of my own. :P
  • Reply 73 of 90
    I am in no way an MS apologist, and I'm a long-time Mac-user, but I really think Windows 7 is going to be a better-than-average release for MS.

They've seen how terrible Vista is, they've seen how far ahead Apple is pulling away, they're beginning to see leagues of people switching to the Mac... point is, they know they're in deep s*** unless they can pull off a good release.

The reason Vista took so long was because of feature-creep. Once management finally said "stop, start over, this is what's in and this is what's out," it only took MS two years to finish development. Comparatively, of course, Leopard is the only OS X upgrade that has taken longer than 2 years, but to "upgrade" a bloated piece of software like Windows, I'm sure that 2 years is no small feat.

So I have the feeling that MS has learned an excellent lesson from Vista, and I'm sure that upper management is closely monitoring the progress of Windows 7 to make sure they don't pull another "Vista."

As for me, (along side my Mac) I maintain a PC for occasional gaming (c'mon Apple, just make me an xMac so I can stop using Windows!) and have a cheapo laptop, which pretty much sums up my interaction with Windows. I'm running XP SP2 and I've honestly had very few problems. Like someone said earlier, even though it took a decade, Windows is finally fairly stable.... in XP, that is. My wife is using Vista and I hear those damn "cancel or allow" windows popping up all the freaking time, it's hilarious, really. I personally, will not upgrade to Vista and have high hopes for Windows 7.... or an xMac, whichever comes first.

-Clive
  • Reply 74 of 90
    Quote:

Except that they're starting to run out of good cat names, anyway.

After all, who the frak wants something called Mac OS X Ocelot?

Cougar, Lynx, and Sabretooth are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that are good. And they probably wouldn't use Sabretooth... too many easy "that OS is prehistoric!" jokes for the Windows fanbois to use.

Should use "Sachmo". He was a pretty big cat.
  • Reply 75 of 90
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -Nova- View Post

I like Ocelot.

"OS X Ocelot" looks fine on paper. Until you say it out loud. Then you start giggling.

Remember, the pronunciation is 'os-uh-lot'.

I guess its kinda like the "Myron" of cat names.

• Reply 76 of 90
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

What movie is that from?

It's from her latest 'bound-to-be-awful' effort, 'The Eye'. I swear, this woman bombs in public more than Hamas. Yet they keep on giving her movies, I guess 'cuz the male 13-35 demographic would go see her even if she was in 'Gigli 2'.

AUGHHH!!! I burned my career worse than Affleck!

• Reply 77 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

I am in no way an MS apologist, and I'm a long-time Mac-user, but I really think Windows 7 is going to be a better-than-average release for MS.

Better than average for Microsoft means half as good as OS X 10.2. I guess I can believe that.
  • Reply 78 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Better than average for Microsoft means half as good as OS X 10.2. I guess I can believe that.

What are you, twelve? Can we cut out the juvenile remarks and discuss this topic like an adult? Please?

...honestly...

-Clive
  • Reply 79 of 90
    Quote:

Now that Mac OS X has matured I think the next name should be Cougar.

That's it! Game over, man! So, what kind of fur should the default desktop be?

Personally, I'll take a nice tight shot of Demi Moore's, er, umm . . ., cleavage! Yeah, that's it.
  • Reply 80 of 90
    Ha Ha Ha