Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Comments

• Reply 1681 of 2639
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

If you can put up with the atrocity that shopping at Circuit City is then it seems like a great deal. As far as I know it's not being heavily promoted though so they may not even be aware they're offering the trade-in. From past experience (and the general condition of Circuit City stores where I live) they will strive to make your purchase experience a profound nightmare.

Good luck and good hunting!

You actual care what the shopping experience is when you buy your electronics? Are you inferring that you need help when buying your electronics?

If so, then yes I can see your point.

However, anyone that specific about their BluRay/HD-DVD discerning tastes most assuredly is not.
  • Reply 1682 of 2639
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You actual care what the shopping experience is when you buy your electronics? Are you inferring that you need help when buying your electronics?

If so, then yes I can see your point.

However, anyone that specific about their BluRay/HD-DVD discerning tastes most assuredly is not.

No, I'm referring to the checkout process and getting them to actually recognize and admit that they're offering that trade-in promotion. I don't trust employees at any electronics store to be able to provide proper help. They're trained to sell extended service contracts. I prefer to do most of my electronics buying online (which won't work for people trying to take advantage of that trade in).
  • Reply 1683 of 2639
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Here's an interesting read on what the studios think of downloading and BR.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6540394.html
  • Reply 1684 of 2639
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Good for you man. Also just a note for anyone else into HD DVD beforehand and thinking of getting the BD-UP5000, I think Circuit City is providing an exchange program so that you can exchange your HD DVD player in for some credit toward a Blu-ray player. Just a suggestion if you are looking to ease yourself into Blu-ray and went with the Universal player option so that you can contnue to enjoy your HD DVD movies.

Thanks Marz. And yes, Circuit City is running a deal where you can trade in your HD DVD player toward a Blu-Ray player, but only if you bought it from them in the last 90 days.

The great thing about a combo player, besides the fact that I can keep playing my HD DVDs as I move to Blu-Ray, is that I can take advantage of the firesales on HD DVD media. Today I ordered the Planet Earth set (regular $100) for $30 shipped from Discovery Channel. Pretty cool.
  • Reply 1685 of 2639
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Here's an interesting read on what the studios think of downloading and BR.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6540394.html

While I understand bandwidth is an issue, we went from 2400 modems to 56k to cable fairly quick.

Reading that article gave me a sense of deja vu. I remember the record industry being confident that "music enthusiasts" wouldn't stop buying CDs because they wanted the artwork and lyrics.

That worked out really well for them, didn't it?
  • Reply 1686 of 2639
    They will have HD. Blue ray will already add onto the expensive computers
  • Reply 1687 of 2639
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

WRONG!

In 1997 I bought a laser disc / DVD combo player ( since I had a pretty big LD collection this was a good way to get started on DVD ) for $1000.00!

DVD players were around $ 200.00 in 2000 ( the third year )!

Uhm, 2000 would make it the fourth year:

1st year: 1997

2nd year: 1998

3rd year: 1999
  • Reply 1688 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Does that make it untrue? Blu-Ray Hi-Def® is still not 1.) reasonably-priced

Jeez, it's barely two years old.

Were you just as impatient when computers started to appear?
  • Reply 1689 of 2639
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Jeez, it's barely two years old.

Were you just as impatient when computers started to appear?

No we're saying that they need to work fast on this to bring prices down ( this year ) or haven't you been reading?

Unfortunately after the war was over their lowest priced player went up $100.00! Wrong direction.

And your comparison is hardly the same thing as we've already discussed here. Computrs were a new item when they started. These are an extension of an existing technology ( the optical disc ). Also tech is moving faster no days and if they want to capture the market they have to start this year.
  • Reply 1690 of 2639
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    The Grammar Police would like to remind you that the proper abbreviation for Blu-ray Disc is BD. Thank you, and have a nice day!
  • Reply 1691 of 2639
    Quote:

No we're saying that they need to work fast on this to bring prices down ( this year ) or haven't you been reading?

Yes, I've been reading. Do I have to agree?

You do know that new and lower priced models are on their way, don't you?

Christmas sales usually don't last through March.
  • Reply 1692 of 2639
    I abhor Blu-Ray and its DRM, and even I don't understand the pricing argument.

Prices will drop eventually, though the CE companies are currently extracting a bit of a 'peace dividend' by holding the line on (or even raising) prices.

The bigger question is why anyone in their right minds would buy a BD player now, knowing that a whole chunk of them on the shelves now will be obsolete this Christmas once the new spec is in active production.

Given the 2009 U.S. deadline for new TV tuners, isn't the biggest opportunity here to incorporate the new spec, upcoming price drops and market the bundle of a DTV tuner and BD player this Christmas?
  • Reply 1693 of 2639
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I abhor Blu-Ray and its DRM, and even I don't understand the pricing argument.

Prices will drop eventually, though the CE companies are currently extracting a bit of a 'peace dividend' by holding the line on (or even raising) prices.

The bigger question is why anyone in their right minds would buy a BD player now, knowing that a whole chunk of them on the shelves now will be obsolete this Christmas once the new spec is in active production.

Given the 2009 U.S. deadline for new TV tuners, isn't the biggest opportunity here to incorporate the new spec, upcoming price drops and market the bundle of a DTV tuner and BD player this Christmas?

They aren't obsolete, you just can't watch all the extras. Oooolala. I can't watch PiP extras ohnoz.
  • Reply 1694 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

They aren't obsolete, you just can't watch all the extras. Oooolala. I can't watch PiP extras ohnoz.

True, I will probably never watch those extras, but you don't understand marketing.

When J6P finds out his new player can't do what the Joneses' player can, there will be blood on the floor.

We're talking less than a year. Why not do the post-war launch correctly?
  • Reply 1695 of 2639
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

True, I will probably never watch those extras, but you don't understand marketing.

When J6P finds out his new player can't do what the Joneses' player can, there will be blood on the floor.

We're talking less than a year. Why not do the post-war launch correctly?

I understand marketing and I understand that they are probably milking this for every cent they can, but not everyone is dumb enough to fall for the upgrade. Especially the type of people who have already bought in (ie. Early adopters that probably did some research and know all about this). My PS3 will be quite happy to support profile 2.0 and that is about 95% of the Blu-Ray players out there. No biggie.
  • Reply 1696 of 2639
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Uh no it's not. They have yet to impliment a single suggestion. And some of things that were listed must be done now. The pricing can wait until Xmas time.

I'm not questioning the viability I'm saying there are things they must do to insure the viability.

First, it is not an agreed supposition that they must do ALL of Bill Hunt's suggestions to be viable. Nor is there agreement on what they "must" do which you say they are doing nothing and therefore signalling the failure of BR because you choose to discount the postive aspects of BR's position.

Quote:

Also there's the fact that " The Bit's " seems to think they are important issues and their opinion means more to me than any thing I read from here.

That is is a "fact" that you consider The Bit's opinion are important really is immaterial.

Quote:

And the numbers you're taking about currently are still so small in comparison to what they must overcome ( the DVD ) they really need to strike while the anvil's still hot.

The anvil is hot through December 2008 at the least.

Quote:

" Mid year " is only 2 and a half months away. A year tends to go by very quickly. And about the titles they need to state their intentions now. Or didn't you read that part?

Yes, I read it but I do not have to agree that it is absolutely crucial that it occurs in March.

Quote:

All of these things make sense and are obvious and easy to see.

And if they don't impliment them well there's an old saying " Those who fail to prepare - prepare to fail ".

Because if there is no visibile public activity it means zero is occurring and no progress is being made. Again, other than price, I do not see any of those other suggestions as absolutely required. The trade space is rather large.

Quote:

As to the comparison well there's another old saying " Learn from history ".

It's like saying they can do no wrong. Any company can make mistakes or be over confident.

No, its saying don't say they are going to fail because they simply choose not to slavishly adopt every suggestion from every pundit. Were that the case Apple would be out of business by now because there is no xMac.

Again, the trade space is large and there are many potential paths to success.

Quote:

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see there are necessary steps that must be taken if you want the product to go mainsteam.

Because, of course, game consoles are not mainstream and the PS3 has zero sales. If nothing else, BR is assured more of a market share than LD ever achieved simply because of that strategic position adopted by Sony.

Quote:

I know you don't like to use HD DVD as a comparison but it was already failing to BR when they lowered the price ( duh! ) and their sales went up!

Like I said $ 199.00 for players seems to be the sweet spot for general acceptance.

And I suspect that we will see some BR players at $199 this Christmas.

Quote:

And yes there's a window of opportunity that won't last forever and must be taken advantage of.

Again, whine about the failure of BR after this Christmas. Not in March 2008.

Quote:

You can bury your head in the sand if you want. But it won't make these issues go away. With a new product just sitting back and waiting to see what happens has never been good for business.

Yes, the BR manufactures are simply sitting still and doing nothing. Its not burying your head when you reject alarmist FUD.

Quote:

Let me say again because it seems like you have a need to put words in my mouth. I want BR to succeed. The HD format war is over. They won.

Got it?

No need to put words in your mouth. You're claiming the sky is falling with zero evidence beyond the fact that some suggestions were not instantly acted upon.

Got it?
  • Reply 1697 of 2639
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think x-mas is where we will see another big push for BR. Until then I don't think they need it. They are further along than I would have anticipated after a year, if it's even been a year in the us market. They are actually further along than I expected after two years. But that's another story.
  • Reply 1698 of 2639
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Microsoft stated they won't include Blu-Ray as an option.

http://www.reuters.com/article/reute...24707720080313
  • Reply 1699 of 2639
    Quote:

Damn beat me to it!

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/NewsSt...px?story=71973

hey Jim, go pester an xbox site or 3 will ya? its apparent that only you think the sky is falling, so, like, umm, maybe your W R O N G.

got it.
  • Reply 1700 of 2639
    Quote:

You mean the same way that they got down on their knees and swore on a stack of bibles that a version of the 360 with HDMI and a black case would never come out, only to release it a few months later? Yeah, that company has loads of credibility.