Who is using exclusively Mac OS X on their Mac?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    calcal Posts: 17member
    I'm generally using Mac OS X full-time. It runs very well on my PowerBook G4.

What I'm really excited about is not using Classic so much soon... In a few days Office v. X will be here .
  • Reply 21 of 70
    Exclusively on my TiBook 500 with 512MB RAM. However, it goes without saying that I'd like Photoshop instead of Graphic Converter.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Have you used the Word X Test drive? It should give you a pretty 'full' experience, no?
  • Reply 24 of 70
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Up until about 2 weeks ago i was using X exclusively (since the release of 10.0).

But for the last 2 weeks i've been working on a website and have been using PS and GoLive, they both work in classic, but i needed to get a lot of work done, and classic isn't that snappy on my 333 iMac.

PS Its great to be back here at AI!
  • Reply 24 of 70
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I am. I have been since 10.0.3. I rarely even use classic. At work... that's a different story.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    When I first got X I put it on my Mom's iMac. A day later after getting the hang of the updates, installs, how to tweak things, apps and software out there, I installed it on mine. I've only booted back into OS 9 once, and that was to use Norton. Well actually twice but that was a weird accident (heh). Yay OS X!
  • Reply 27 of 70
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>Have you used the Word X Test drive? It should give you a pretty 'full' experience, no?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The only problem with that is that you can't print.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    For the last few weeks (since 10.1) I have been using OS/X exclusivily on my Ti G4 with the exception of office. I'm changing that though since I just ordered my copy of Office v.x

I do all my software development, documentation, etc. on it!! Very happy.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    Can't do anything I need to in X.

X.1 Looks pretty and all but with no Protools (therefore no audio) and no aurora fuse video support (apparently that's never going to happen) I'm going to be in 9 for a quite a while yet.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Print? Who wants to print?
  • Reply 31 of 70
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>What machine are you using?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm using a 400 mhz iMac with 192 MB RAM
  • Reply 32 of 70
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Here at home on my iMac, I've been using OS X for about 4-5 months. Needless to say, once 10.1 came out and X finally felt like a "real", complete OS, it's all I run on both my home iMac and my G4 at work.

Of course, at work, using QuarkXPress, Photoshop, etc., I'm in Classic quite a bit, but everything else is in X (surfing, e-mail, iTunes, various utilities and apps).

Same for at home, although with Illustrator 10 now out, I hardly EVER launch Classic at home.

I am, however, waiting for a font management utility that's as transparent and easy to set up and use as ATM Deluxe. That's the only thing I'm missing right now.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    I would say that I use OS X 10.1 in spirts. Because I do a lot of work that requires OS 9.2.1 natively, I go back and forth. Because a video project may take time to complete, I will use OS 9.2.1 almost all the time. Final Cut Pro won't open in Classic mode.

I think that I have been torn apart by the jilting experience of having to adapt to the small things of both OS's. For example, in IE for OS 9, download manager is Cmd-M, whereas on OS X, it's command-4. Also, creating a new folder in the finder, requires shift in addition to the cmd-N.

Otherwise, I can't disparage OS X, because it is so promising. Yeah, it could be a tad faster. I'm running a PBG4 at 400MHz, and I would say that OS X runs equally as well on my iMac 500 at work. Although I see slightly more of the rainbow cursor on the iMac.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    Once Photoshop, FCP, and GoLive come out for OS X, I can use it without Classic.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    I use OSX exclusively on my iBook but not my G4. Digital Audio just ain't happening in X yet.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    I'm using X fulltime, and I have since 10.1 came out. I don't even have 9.x installed right now (reformated my hd last Saturday night). I'm not missing 9.x so far!
  • Reply 37 of 70
    i've been using os x non stop since the beta! there were some rough times, but she's finally maturing and I couldn't imagine holding out or going back. i do everything from basic internet surfing to office stuff to building ecommerce websites for local companies in my spare time. can't imagine a better environment to work in.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: dillyo1001 ]</p>
  • Reply 38 of 70
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Me.

Now if Epson would only release freakin' drivers for my EPL-5700i laser printer!

Escher
  • Reply 39 of 70
    OS 9 about 30%

OS 10.1 about 70% of the time

9 for games, SETI and other things.

I love how the DVD player in X is better than 9.....no more audio sync probs.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: gumby5647 ]</p>
  • Reply 40 of 70
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I've been in OS X 99% since 10.0.4, booting into 9 for Oni once every few weeks, or to print at photo quality (the OS X Epson driver couldn't do that without introducing lines until 10.1). I only have to start Classic for AGFA ScanWise, and I'm looking forward to eliminating that.

10.1 is getting awfully close to done. I'm heartened by something Andrew Welch said on the MacNN boards: There's room yet for another speed boost on the order of 10.0 -&gt; 10.1. By spring OS X should be in full blossom. :cool: