Apple's iPhone 3G guided tour reveals extra details

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Thank you again for your thoughtful analysis, AI.

Stop being so snarky, man.

Get a life, or go somewhere else to get your news.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I would never be so lucky to be on one of those flights.

You might, but only to discover the price of access to be $25.- per 2 minutes. Calling from a plane is available these days to most passengers but have you ever checked out the price? I have never seen anyone use the onboard phones, ever, yet there is one for virtually every seat on international flights. What a stupid waste.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

AI has a long history of delivering the most appalling analysis. Only ongoing, harsh criticism will make them stop.

No, ongoing, harsh criticism will only serve to make people ignore your comments as irrelevant. Or perhaps you've never heard the story of the boy who cried wolf? Unless of course it was your intention to purposefully get people to respond to your silly post...in which case, congratulations. People who think they can influence the world with nothing but non-constructive criticism amuse me.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You might, but only to discover the price of access to be $25.- per 2 minutes. Calling from a plane is available these days to most passengers but have you ever checked out the price? I have never seen anyone use the onboard phones, ever, yet there is one for virtually every seat on international flights. What a stupid waste.

And what does this have to do with Wi-Fi on an airplane?
  • Reply 25 of 62
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Your unwillingness to accept the jargon of the industry doesn't void the jargon. Just because you might hold it in your hand while using it doesn't make it a "handheld" class of device in terms of how the industry classifies devices.

Yeah that was a bit of a joke, but it obviously went over your head.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Actually, they depend on traffic, hits, and click-throughs-- not nice comments. Unless you mean that your harsh criticism will drive other viewers from the site...

Now, I wouldn't go so far as calling you names, but seriously, if you think that AI's analysis is "most appalling" why even bother? Maybe they are too far gone for your artful corrective measures.

PS The Mini died a year ago!

Thank you for not calling me names.

I think AI are good for general news and rumours, they seem to post just about everything, which suits me, but when they stray into analysis, they just look silly. Now most people on these boards don't read with a critical eye, so they just lap it up. For their sakes and the sake of setting the record straight I feel I have to speak up. And it's fun!
  • Reply 27 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

From the article you're citing: "Mr. Gelsinger acknowledged that Intel had lost the heated bidding for the next generation of Apple?s iPods and iPhones.

?Apple chose not to take that roadmap at their next generation of that platform,? he said, adding: ?I don?t think that means that we?re not ever going to have them on that roadmap.?

We knew this when they bought PA Semi.

Also, if I recall, AI only mentioned an eventuality of the move to Atom on iPhones, not a certainty. AI seemed more certain of a tablet/laptop appearance.

Lastly, let's not play word games here: it doesn't matter what you call your MacBook, it's not a "Handheld Device."

No, AI refer to the Atom as "Apple bound" or something like that, every time they post about it. Also there is no evidence or logic that would suggest that Apple will ever use the Atom for its handhelds, and plenty of evidence opposing.

You can't just keep putting weasel words and provisos until it "possible". It just doesn't stack up.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    I like the new Speaker design. It looks very minimalistic. But the screws are kinda weird. I've never seen iPod with a screw, but maybe this design is better. I wonder if AT&T took out SMS out of plans for a reason that there's AOL AIM now.

we'll see....
  • Reply 29 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Yes, and merdhead: what AppleInsider wrote was completely relevant and acceptable. Apple DOES pride itself in it's sleek and "seamless" (notice the quotes) designs. If you went to see Wall-e, you would notice the jokes and references to this. And keep in mind that Pixar's CEO is non other than the elusive Steve Jobs.

Thank you for your pandering support of AI. Now do you have anything that supports the notion that they really don't like screws? I've already said that they aim for good design, which is my point. Movie references are not very convincing arguments since they are based on a work of fiction and fantasy. The only fact you assert in your post is incorrect. Pixar is a division of Disney and has no CEO. Jobs has no executive position in Disney or Pixar but has a seat on the Disney board (he is the largest individual shareholder).
  • Reply 30 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Stop being so snarky, man.

Get a life, or go somewhere else to get your news.

If you don't like my comments, you should stop reading them, because I'm not going to stop writing them. I have as much right as you to be there. Even more so since my posts don't contain such misinformation as yours: There are many Apple rumour/news sites. The place is crawling with them. You should get out more.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

No, ongoing, harsh criticism will only serve to make people ignore your comments as irrelevant. Or perhaps you've never heard the story of the boy who cried wolf? Unless of course it was your intention to purposefully get people to respond to your silly post...in which case, congratulations. People who think they can influence the world with nothing but non-constructive criticism amuse me.

Your reading the fairy tales seems to be a bit off. The boy who cried wolf was lying. I'm being consistent in my position, point to evidence as it presents itself. And the criticism is constructive: it's consistent and targeted.

Anyway, why don't you argue the point instead of attacking me? That would be constructive.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    do you think if i bought the iPhone in the past, and already sold it to buy the new one, i would still be able to get the new iPhone for $199? I am not currently eligible for a upgrade. I really don't want to pay $399. I'm am being hopeful
  • Reply 33 of 62
    [Edit]
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Something tells me that all the buddies on my list that are actually mobiles won't actually work on the iPhone AIM client. That would totally replace SMS.

This is a good question... for those who don't know (I just found this out -- how naive I am):

Add a number preceding by a plus sign, 1, and the area code to your buddy list to send instant messages to a phone. The format should appear as:

"+16145558233" without the quotations. It'll appear to the recipient's phone as a text message with a note specifying it's from your AIM screenname. Presumably they could send messages back using this AIM client (if they're iPhone-users) or just regular texting.

Any word if AT&T's text charges are for outbound only, or both inbound and outbound messages? Regardless, it'll cut at least half the cost if you care to deal with the hassle... and if this works.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    [Edit]
  • Reply 36 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterO View Post

Maybe the two screws facilitate battery replacement....?

Yes.... that' what I thought
  • Reply 37 of 62
    Oh dear... after seeing these pics I will not be able to stop myself from taking next Friday off.....
  • Reply 38 of 62
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bostocked View Post

One detail is missing is how the AT&T rep will activate iphone? If he's going be holding it, his hands better be clean.

haha yeah we can't see when they've been wiping their nose or picking boogers! ...gross...
  • Reply 39 of 62
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    MERDHEAD-- "AI has a long history of delivering the most appalling analysis. Only ongoing, harsh criticism will make them stop."

And yet you keep coming back...
  • Reply 40 of 62
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Can anyone comment on using Google SMS from the iPhone? Would it be the same or "good enough" as having it from at&t? Pro's/Con's?? http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/mobile/apple/