Apple allegedly sanctioning Rogers for iPhone rates

Comments

• Reply 61 of 129
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

To pick up on the Morisette reference... she did indeed use those words but she completely mis-used (mis-understood) the meaning of the word ironic. There are no ironies in her song, just a series of unfortunate incidents. Ironic, huh?

A barely-literate 21 year-old who doesn't understand the definition of a word about which she's singing? -- nope, not even that is ironic.
  • Reply 62 of 129
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Maybe those of us who are Rogers customers should consider canceling our service. I've been with them for five years and I'd rather not give up on my phone, but perhaps I could do with a land-line for a while. I'll have to give it some thought.
  • Reply 63 of 129
    robtainrobtain Posts: 2member
    First off, this seems to me to be less a "sanction" then a realization that the demand will be much less then anticipated as a result of the lousy plans.

I was looking forward to the iPhone, but have decided in the end to hold my nose and lock myself in to a long term contract with Bell. The Blackberry plan and loyalty discount that we managed to extract from the "retention" dept. were far better than anything Rogers has to offer and after reading numerous horror stories, I don't think that I can ever (in good conscience) deal with Rogers.

R.
  • Reply 64 of 129
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

To pick up on the Morisette reference... she did indeed use those words but she completely mis-used (mis-understood) the meaning of the word ironic. There are no ironies in her song, just a series of unfortunate incidents. Ironic, huh?

I was referring to macFanDave, not Morisette's incorrect use of the word "irony".
  • Reply 65 of 129
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Naturally, everybody would like to see wireless prices lowered and in particular, get unlimited data plans. However,…

Rogers has said that the Canadian Data Plans are not out of line. Unlimited Data Plans are, and as such, Americans are paying for something they or the majority of customers are not using.

$30 for unlimited is not unreasonable and if most folks wont go above 400MB anyway then providing an unlimited dataplan is simply a way to generate additional revenue at no cost.

As opposed to simply shooting yourself in the foot by getting national attention for price gouging.

The more likely scenario is that Rogers likes charging data overage fees at $0.03 per MB.

Quote:

Now before some of you go ballistic, note the difference between the US and Canadian plans.
    • Text messages are only charged to the sender in Canada

• Calls from a Rogers to another Rogers phone are free

• AT&T Data Plans are unlimited

Calls from a AT&T phone to another AT&T phone are free. Even the base Nation 450 includes unlimited mobile to mobile minutes. AT&T also provides roll over minutes which is pretty nice to have when you see on your bill that you've gone over this month but there was no charge.

Quote:

Now, on the last point I have to admit that I lean to Rogers on this one. Unless somebody can prove to me how we can come near the Monthly Data Usages.

The average web page size is nearly THREE times what Rogers quotes. 312K vs 132K.

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/s...rage-web-page/

The primary use of bandwidth for me will be movie/tv show rentals. Do you NOT expect to use any iTunes download features except when you're on wifi? Heck, when I'm stuck somewhere unexpectedly is when I want to download something the most.

Quote:

For example
    • The $60 400MB Data Plan gets you up to 200,000 text emails, or 3100 web pages or 1360 photo attachments.

• For $15 more, you get basically double the amounts.

Or half a movie. And it's a 1000 web pages unless those are myspace pages or any other above average sites.

For $15 more you can basically almost download a movie without overage fees. For a 1.19GB movie you're only 190MB short. Hey, with their current posted overage fees that's a mere $33.90 ($0.50/MB for first 60MB followed by $0.03/MB thereafter).

edit: I finally checked rogers directly. Gah...finally the right numbers

What a bargin! I think I like the AT&T unlimited data plan for $30 an itsy bitsy bit more.

Quote:

For the life of me, I cannot see how I could, or have the time, to utilize even the lowest Monthly Data Usage.

Because you're thinking the iPhone is a traditional smartphone.

Quote:

I personally like the $60 plan, as it is only a buck more than I am paying now. Unfortunately, the Daytime Voice Minutes may push me up to $75. Perhaps I will start sending "Call me" text emails. Or like the car, reconsider my communications' strategies.

Yeah, like losing one of the key advantages of the iPhone except when you're near a hotspot. If you can't burn 400MB in a month then 2G and 3G are functionally equivalent.
  • Reply 66 of 129
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

I was referring to macFanDave, not Morisette's incorrect use of the word "irony".

I know and it was very funny. The Morisette thing was just a flippant aside.

Another thing on the Rogers debate - here in Canada, and I think also in the US, you get charged when people call you, not just when you call. That must be shocking to people from Europe. I don't know what it is like now, but when I had a phone in the UK I caller ID came as part of the package, and I also got more than three voice mails which is what I get here (for a fee!). If you buy a $30 dollar package in Canada you actually pay closer to $60.-, Now THAT's ironic.... or is it?
  • Reply 67 of 129
    Wow. Paying to receive messages, pictures etc. That's just wrong. How can they get away with that? I mean, it's probably very difficult to do anything about that now, but how could they get away with that to begin with? It's just insane.
  • Reply 68 of 129
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Would you not be using Wi-Fi? Its free and faster!

So you heard that somebody you can't source, numbers you can't recall and something you think that the average is, gives you the right to claim the Rogers is skewing their claims?

On the other hand, here are a couple of references to support that maybe old man Rogers is right.

Data Points:

...according to René Obermann, CEO of Deutsche Telekom AG (NYSE: DT). He says the device is driving up average wireless data usage as much as 30 times higher than on other phones...the average Internet usage for an iPhone customer is more than 100 MBytes. This is 30 times the use for our average contract-based consumer customers... [from Unstrung]

Matthew Key, chief executive of O 2 Europe, is excited about how iPhone customers are turning out to have a big appetite for data services. About 60 per cent are sending or receiving more than 25MB of data a month, which is the equivalent of sending 7,500 e-mails. By comparison, only 1.8 per cent of O 2 's other mobile customers on monthly contracts are consuming more than 25MB a month...[from Financial Times]

http://www.mobilephoneblog.org/2008/...-europe-us.htm

One final question. Does anybody really think that AT&T would just give anybody, let alone everybody, an Unlimited Data Plan, if they knew that somebody will come close to exceeding the cost.

You are right, I should have added some references, but they were comments in other forums from users that did quick ad hoc tests. I would put as much stock in comments from carriers, such as O2 and Deutsche Telekom AG. (Or Rogers)

In this survey from May 2008, you can see the average page size is now 310 KB. Assuming pages visited by iPhone users will follow this average, that is about 1/4 what I had previously mentioned. So, let's quadruple the original number and we get ~40-50 page loads a day. That is a good number and I would think well within most users usage. But it is still far below the numbers that Rogers states, so I still say they have skewed their numbers, by at least double. Also taking into account that the target audience is young and fairly tech savvy, and the likelyhood that they would visit more data rich sites (facebook, myspace, youtube etc), and the 400 MB starts to look sort of low. This, still not taking into account AppStore and emails and attachments.

You are right though, with Wifi, most data will be 'free', so 400MB is probably enough for those sites you visit when using G3. But not everyone has wifi at home and/or work. These people will not have the benefit of offloading their data usage to an ISP connection.

I am not one of those that is demanding unlimited access in all packages, although I understand the sentiment. Just as home internet use to be metered by time online and people hated this, metering data usage can feel just as, if not more, restrictive. Specifically, Rogers's iPhone plans seem to be restricted by low data and high prices. I think at 400MB, you will be carefully metering your usage. While P2P etc have forced ISPs to introduce data usage caps, they are fairly high for the average user and do not generally force you to track your data usage. Imagine caps on your home internet that are so low, you need to constantly monitor your usage for possible overage conditions and when you do go over, the overage charges are extraordinarily expensive

I do feel that the iPhone packages are unfairly priced and configured. For me to keep my current features with Fido and go with one of the iPhone packages, my monthly bill would more than triple and I would get 750 MB of data. Sure, it sounds like I could instead add on a non-iPhone data plan to my existing voice plan, but then we don't know yet if these will include iPhone specific functionality like Visual Voicemail. They also might not include HotSpot access and they don't seem dramatically less expensive overall. One of the core development concepts of the iPhone was to make the internet on a mobile device as convenient as on a desktop or PC. By forcing very restrictive caps on data usage and very high overage charges, Rogers has diminished this experience.
  • Reply 69 of 129
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squozen View Post

They need one of those sanctions in Australia. Our plans are no better.

My sentiments exactly.

The iPhone is made for unlimited internet access. Many people will not use more than half a gig anyway so why not just remove the restriction altogether and let everyone go unlimited. The bandwidth is costing them next to nothing so incremental data fees simply manufacture a value on a service disproportionate to the cost of delivering that service.
  • Reply 70 of 129
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Via your source (to a quoted link on their article):

Quote:

The ability to watch TV and download video and music on a phone can dramatically increase the volume of data that a mobile user burns through anyway, notes Unstrung Insider senior analyst Gabriel Brown with a personal example: "I used 100 MBytes in an hour and a half listening to Internet radio on my phone the other day."

http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp...unstrung_gnews

Yeah, you can't IMAGINE how to use 400MB/month. Whatever.

Quote:

One final question. Does anybody really think that AT&T would just give anybody, let alone everybody, an Unlimited Data Plan, if they knew that somebody will come close to exceeding the cost.

No. But it sure beats paying $34 when you want to download a movie when you're nowhere near a hotspot. Even at 2G/3G speeds.

If it starts being a burden then new iPhone data plans will be more than $30 for unlimted next year.
  • Reply 71 of 129
    drizzxdrizzx Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Would you not be using Wi-Fi? Its free and faster!

So you heard that somebody you can't source, numbers you can't recall and something you think that the average is, gives you the right to claim the Rogers is skewing their claims?

On the other hand, here are a couple of references to support that maybe old man Rogers is right.

Data Points:

...according to René Obermann, CEO of Deutsche Telekom AG (NYSE: DT). He says the device is driving up average wireless data usage as much as 30 times higher than on other phones...the average Internet usage for an iPhone customer is more than 100 MBytes. This is 30 times the use for our average contract-based consumer customers... [from Unstrung]

Matthew Key, chief executive of O 2 Europe, is excited about how iPhone customers are turning out to have a big appetite for data services. About 60 per cent are sending or receiving more than 25MB of data a month, which is the equivalent of sending 7,500 e-mails. By comparison, only 1.8 per cent of O 2 's other mobile customers on monthly contracts are consuming more than 25MB a month...[from Financial Times]

http://www.mobilephoneblog.org/2008/...-europe-us.htm

Here is an analysis done on iPhone consumption that is based on real-world usage. 400MB just isn't going to cut it.
  • Reply 72 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

No. But it sure beats paying $34 when you want to download a movie when you're nowhere near a hotspot. Even at 2G/3G speeds.

If it starts being a burden then new iPhone data plans will be more than $30 for unlimted next year.

The thing is you can't download movies/songs from the iTunes WiFi Music store while on the cell network, so there's never going to be a charge for that. Directly from the Apple site.

Buy music over the air from the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store on iPhone. Find a Wi-Fi hot spot and tap the iTunes button. Then take your pick from more than 6 million songs.
  • Reply 73 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drizzx View Post

Here is an analysis done on iPhone consumption that is based on real-world usage. 400MB just isn't going to cut it.

A good read and good example of why Rogers plans are far too restrictive.
  • Reply 74 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clyde_turkey View Post

The thing is you can't download movies/songs from the iTunes WiFi Music store while on the cell network, so there's never going to be a charge for that. Directly from the Apple site.

Buy music over the air from the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store on iPhone. Find a Wi-Fi hot spot and tap the iTunes button. Then take your pick from more than 6 million songs.

No, but you can view YouTube videos. You can visit web radio sites. Also, that text from Apples site doesn't say you will be prevented from dl'ing over 3G. Maybe you can't but if you can, it will certainly eat into your data allotment heavily. Even if you can't dl from iTunes over 3G, the other activities that you might choose to use your iPhone for will be far more data intensive than the skewed numbers Rogers presents. That you would have to delay these activities until you are next in wifi range completely goes against the "internet in your pocket" experience.
  • Reply 75 of 129
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

How fast is 3G again? At 500kbps, a 1.5 hour iTunes movie would take about 4.5 hours to download. Then you're pushing the realistic battery life when using the 3G radio. It's probably best to do a movie download at a computer.
  • Reply 76 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

No, but you can view YouTube videos. You can visit web radio sites. Also, that text from Apples site doesn't say you will be prevented from dl'ing over 3G. Maybe you can't but if you can, it will certainly eat into your data allotment heavily. Even if you can't dl from iTunes over 3G, the other activities that you might choose to use your iPhone for will be far more data intensive than the skewed numbers Rogers presents. That you would have to delay these activities until you are next in wifi range completely goes against the "internet in your pocket" experience.

Well then fill your boots then if you can't manage to keep videos and music on the 8/16GB the iPhone provides. Quick search for iTunes WiFi and 3G posts most reviews saying it's still not in the cards for the 2.0 OS. I suppose we'll see, but I would doubt it. As another poster showed, you're battery would probably be dead by the time you finished your movie download from iTunes. Then again you would have to ensure you had the space free to download anything.
  • Reply 77 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How fast is 3G again? At 500kbps, a 1.5 hour iTunes movie would take about 4.5 hours to download. Then you're pushing the realistic battery life when using the 3G radio.

Fido's site says
    Quote:

The maximum peak speeds for the 3G high-speed experience are as high as 3.6 mbps using our current lineup of handsets

about 7 times faster (peak) so ideally about 13 minutes.
  • Reply 78 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clyde_turkey View Post

Well then fill your boots then if you can't manage to keep videos and music on the 8/16GB the iPhone provides. Quick search for iTunes WiFi and 3G posts most reviews saying it's still not in the cards for the 2.0 OS. I suppose we'll see, but I would doubt it. As another poster showed, you're battery would probably be dead by the time you finished your movie download from iTunes. Then again you would have to ensure you had the space free to download anything.

Fill my boots....?

The other poster was incorrect about 3G speeds, so the battery comment really isn't valid. 8-16 gigs is plenty for downloads on the iPhone. You would have to dl a shitload of songs to fill this. Not too many video files, but most videos will probably be through youtube and only cached on the phone. You are likely right and there will not be 3G dl from iTunes. But, even without this, the caps are far, far too low.
  • Reply 79 of 129
    drizzxdrizzx Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Fill my boots....?

The other poster was incorrect about 3G speeds, so the battery comment really isn't valid. 8-16 gigs is plenty for downloads on the iPhone. You would have to dl a shitload of songs to fill this. Not too many video files, but most videos will probably be through youtube and only cached on the phone. You are likely right and there will not be 3G dl from iTunes. But, even without this, the caps are far, far too low.

Average video size for a 42 minute TV episode formatted in M4V format for the iPod is around 340MB in size.

HSDPA speeds are up to 7.2MB, so on Rogers in core area's your download seems are potentially extremely fast. Though I doubt anyone will ever actually see those speeds.
  • Reply 80 of 129
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drizzx View Post

It is not real world. It is full of assumptions.

Again, if AT&T is offering unlimited data plan, it is because nobody could comes near to exceeding the cost. Or otherwise, why do they charge for receiving text messages.

Why would any carrier lie about how much data is being used. Read the fine print. AT&T can at anytime change the prices. AT&T has already stated that data usage is twice what they originally projected. Unfortunately we don't know what the figures are, but according to reliable sources, the way that data comes and goes on the iPhone is not the same as projected by a bunch of wannabe analyists.

So far, nobody has posted a breakdown of their $95 average iPhone bill. How did they get being so significantly higher than listed if their prices are so far cheaper than the Rogers plan?