Server problems spoil Apple's iPhone 3G launch

Comments

• Reply 101 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I bought a Newton in 93, I broke the screen and couldn't justify a new one.

Damn, dude. I wanna be your friend. Anybody who breaks stuff is okay in my book.
  • Reply 102 of 127
    chriskeochriskeo Posts: 20member
    Does anyone with an ipod touch have the 2.0 software yet
  • Reply 103 of 127
    updating to 2.0 as i type this.... talked to my friend who is a software trainer for apple and he said they were only down for about 40 minutes this momrning, otherwise they've been activating iphones like crazy all day!
  • Reply 104 of 127
    chriskeochriskeo Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meeksdigital View Post

updating to 2.0 as i type this.... talked to my friend who is a software trainer for apple and he said they were only down for about 40 minutes this momrning, otherwise they've been activating iphones like crazy all day!

my itunes tells me that 2.0 is available, i clicked update, then i clicked learn more, then it brought me back to my ipod summary
  • Reply 105 of 127
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chriskeo View Post

my itunes tells me that 2.0 is available, i clicked update, then i clicked learn more, then it brought me back to my ipod summary

This is where I am, currently.
  • Reply 106 of 127
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I disagree. Sure they've had the bombs (Cube, 20th Anniversary Mac), mis-steps (Pippin), growing pains (transition to OS X), and bad PR (iPod batteries). And even when they had cases of software updates causing data loss only affect a very small percentage of users. I've been using Apple computers and been a fan since the Apple II. The last three days of MobileMe and iPhone issues is by far the the biggest end-user impacting problem I can remember Apple ever happening.

He didn't write "end-user impacting problem"; he wrote "f*cked up everything". In 1996-1997, Apple was very close to being bought out by Sun -- or ceasing to exist as an independent entity. From the end of the Scully to the Amelio years, Apple was floundering and flailing at most every turn. Pick any of those years, and I'd argue the company failed far worse than this year.

I'm calling him on his hyperbolic myopia. I'd rather have today, a perceived failure based on excessive demand and success rather than wondering if we'll go through three Macworlds to see if we'll get a 100mhz speed bump out of a G4.
  • Reply 107 of 127
    I updated to 2.0 a few hours ago and only found one minor glitch that isn't detrimental, but can be annoying:

It's kinda hard to see with the lighting and all, but where I circled it, the image hangs off the screen on the "Whrrl" app. It didn't do this at first. the top bar with the buttons only shows about half then it cuts it off. On the very bottom, it also hangs a little too high on the display. So it's like someone just pushed the display up a little bit and I can't fix it.

I'm looking for more bugs as we speak...
  • Reply 108 of 127
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    So I've seen a few comments about people not being able to pay cash for an iPhone. I believe that is flatly illegal -- doesn't money say "legal tender for all debts" or some related line on it?

any legal opinions that explain how AT&T and apple are getting away with this?
  • Reply 109 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

So I've seen a few comments about people not being able to pay cash for an iPhone. I believe that is flatly illegal -- doesn't money say "legal tender for all debts" or some related line on it?

It's not at all illegal. The legal tender refers for paying a debt, but if the transaction hasn't taken place yet there is no debt. Now, for the subsequent monthly dues AT&T would be required to take cash. Just like I can refused a sale if I come in with $50k in pennies for a new car or want to buy a pack of gum from a newspaper stand with a $100 bill or put the safety of late night cashiers in jeopardy by requiring they have change for large bills.
  • Reply 110 of 127
    axolotlaxolotl Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uRbAn View Post

I've got friends living in GDL and DF and said that they were be able to use prepaid for the iPhone. How true is that?

Well, not right now. The carrier said "maybe later this year". So we'll see. And I'm guessing it will cost at least 800 dollars the 8 G model.
  • Reply 111 of 127
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    I updated my iPhone 16 GB 2G yesterday, on July 10th. The download link was posted on all major Mac sites. No problems at all. Enjoying some of the free apps and paid games. Some of the free apps are not so hot (Movies and Tip Calc), but the problems are just poor interface issues.

Movies: After you type in a zip code, there is no way to close the number pad without closing the app and re-opening it. Oops. That needs to be fixed.

Tip Calc: Interface is not consistent. The upper fields are tap to enter. The number of guests in your party is a slider that is not obvious at all that you are supposed to slide it. Duh, why not make all the fields tap to enter, since that is what you do with most things on the phone.

Other than that, it is a great update. The System settings finally moved Bluetooth to the main page so you can turn it on and off easily to save battery life, without going three levels deep to get to it.

Also, Contacts is now an app on the main screen, no longer requiring you to tap the phone icon, then contacts.
  • Reply 112 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grahamw View Post

This is where I am, currently.

I updated two iPhones this evening with no problems.
  • Reply 113 of 127
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    as i posted in a differant thread:

my tale of woe...

Indianapolis, Keystone store:

Arrive at 5am, am in the store by 8:40, signed the agrement, swiped my card etc, and was done by 8:50, a simle upgrade, smooth enough...untill the guard caught me...

The gaurd at the door, lets call him Bruno the Bouncer, informs me that I CANNOT LEAVE because the phone isnt avtivated, but the applestore clerks handheld said activation successfull, I rgued in vain, as I was led to a second que to wait for a "genius" to connect my phone to a laptop, which we were told ran a special version of itunes, so he takes my phone and connects it to a computer and we wait, we wait 45 MINUTES, at this point I am pissed,

Lets recap, My old handset is now brick, my new handset is a brick, I am supposed to call my boss, but I cant, I am a Prisoner in the store as Bruno will not let me take my phone and leave,

But then everything changes, the manager calls all employees into a group huddle and tells them to just send us home to activate...so now I get the "privilage" of leaving, with 2 bricks, they "claim" that I could make calls to my boss and such using the Emergency call mode...BULLSHIT

So as I leave, I notice that the line is 2 times longer than it was at 8, people in line start asking me about it and I say that it is a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

IT GETS WORSE

I go home and plug it into ituns and it still hangs, I couldnt get it activated untill 2:00 PM and that was just unlocking, it wouldnt let me tie it to my macbook untill after 5!
  • Reply 114 of 127
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Bunch of whiners...

You'll all soon forget today's launch issues, and by Monday will have maxed out your credit cards in the App Store.

Boo friggin' hoo, your MobileMe update took 40 seconds instead of 30, so then you go to your favorite blog/news site and complain...you're all like Fox News or other media whores, taking a small insignificant, trivial matter and blowing it out of proportion.

Yes, being wihout a phone of any sort for hours, when I had to make some important calls, is completely acceptable.

I do think that this mess entitles me to a wave of the activation fee, as they could not activate the damn thing for hours.
  • Reply 115 of 127
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Under Apple's old sales model, it probably didn't care that much if people bought phones and then unlocked them. It made it's traditional profit margins off the sale of the device even if people didn't activate the phone with AT&T. Sales in the US though stalled, in part, for what people believed to be the high cost of the device.

Apple responded by lowering the upfront cost. Now Apple most likely looses money off the sale of the device. AT&T is making up the difference. Apple will not get paid from AT&T unless people sign up for the service contract. So, if Apple sold an unlocked iPhone at the listed prices, Apple would be giving the phone away at a lose.

Moreover, why would anyone buy a $299 iPod Touch, if you could buy a $199 iPhone and jailbreak it? A jailbreaked iPhone, even if you don't use it as a phone, has more abilities then an iPod Touch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DestructoTex View Post

"Attempting to stifle the grey market for iPhones that were being purchased in the U.S., then unlocked and resold overseas at higher prices, Apple also did away with home activation of the handsets this time around, mandating that each and every new iPhone 3G sold in the U.S. be fully activate before it leaves the store."

Care to attribute this? If Apple sells the units, why should it care if they are unlocked or not? It seems as if AT&T has much more of vested interest in this...

• Reply 116 of 127
    It isn't illegal. A vendor can require any form of payment it wants prior to the sale. For instance, if AT&T wanted to be paid in bubble gum, that would be legal, provided you agreed to this before the sale.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

• Reply 117 of 127
    Yes, except everybody knows that AT&T didn't subsidize the first generation iPhone. That was what was so revolutionary about the sales model and what allowed you to bring the phone with you to activate.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

The only people who can't get an iPhone 3G for $199 are existing AT&T customers who have ALREADY RECEIVED A SUBSIDIZED (DISCOUNTED) PHONE ON THEIR CURRENT CONTRACT. This is how every cell phone carrier has always worked. It wouldn't be fair to AT&T to give you a $300 discount on the new iPhone if you already got a discounted phone on your current contract that you haven't completed. In other words, you haven't "payed off" the subsidy they gave you by finishing your contract. And with most carriers, including AT&T, you don't even actually have to complete the contract. Depending on your monthly payment, they will make you eligible for an upgrade (phone discount) usually after 10-14 months into your contract. And In fact, existing customers who are not eligble for an upgrade ARE GETTING A GREAT DEAL AT $399, considering the no-contract price of the iPhone 3G is $599. In all other cases besides the iPhone 3G, existing customers not eligible for an upgrade have always had to pay the FULL NO-CONTRACT RETAIL PRICE for a new phone, which in this case would be $599!

• Reply 118 of 127
    kasper

you need to be very careful the way you advertise especially the pop-up windows. I was lead to very infected site from one of your advertising. It was downloading all 3 exe files (thanks god i'm using mac). I couldn't do anything b/c the malicious sites is doing something strange. I suggested you reconsidered the way you advertise. Thank you.
  • Reply 119 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DestructoTex View Post

You're the man, Kasper, but I've never seen anywhere that it was Apple's decision to mandate in-store activation.

But if you say it's so, then maybe it is...

OK, here's my take on all this.. and i have been an Apple soldier since the late 80's (sold my entire recording studio just to buy my 1st Mac-IIci- for like almost 4k)- i'm also current the owner of Apple products-LED- Macbook Pro, G4 dual tower, 30g i-Pod, and a just recently purchased 3g-iphone) -

I emailed David Pogue (IT deskop guru for the NY TIMES and writer of the 'i-Phone Missing Manual') the day before the launch and asked him what was his best advice about where i should get my 3g -iphone (he was my boss way back when we both shared a corner office at M.T.I. in the early '90's thats Music Theatre International, not MIT), and he advised me to go to an Apple Store NOT AT&T, which is what i did- and pretty much assured me that i would get one!- i took his advice and can say i am a proud papa of a new 3g iphone- but before i emailed him i also went to several AT&T outlets in the city and was repeatedly told by the ATT reps that they would only get somewhere like 20 or so phones per store-

well, when i got into the apple soho store and spoke with the manager there, he sort of confirmed what i was previously told by at&t- he told me that i should come to the Apple store because they were limiting 3g i-phone stock to the at&t outlets--

could it be that AT&T was trying to get back at apple for the obvious quantity limit and the 1st i-phone crack disaster?? -(Apple had to know people would buy multiple phones and send oversea's to unlock or sell on e-bay for much more $$$) maybe this was AT&T getting back at Apple by trying to give them a black i- at launch 7/11...

i bet AT&T prob would or could've sued Apple because of what happened 1st time around - so this is probably why they created the in-store activation and soc sec requirement-- well my i-phone works i-wonderfully and yes i did get in line at 3am - but for a geek like me it was just like christmas morning when i was 5....

only just in the summer.... well, i have to get back to my download screen on my i-phone....i-c-u-lata
  • Reply 120 of 127
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by supremedesigner View Post

kasper

you need to be very careful the way you advertise especially the pop-up windows. I was lead to very infected site from one of your advertising. It was downloading all 3 exe files (thanks god i'm using mac). I couldn't do anything b/c the malicious sites is doing something strange. I suggested you reconsidered the way you advertise. Thank you.

It's not impossible, but I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS WEBSITE. How do you even know this mysterious pop-up window CAME FROM AppleInsider's advertising? Because it happened to pop-up when you were browsing this website? And secondly, web browsers don't just automatically start downloading files from the web.

If you have no other web browser windows/tabs open other than AI, It appears you have a major problem over there, some type of malware and/or virus.