iPhone 3G and 2.0 affected by buggy software, sensors, wireless

Comments

• Reply 21 of 187
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Apple seriously needs to slow down its development schedule, and focus on the minutia of making sure everything works very reliably.

Of course, there's no 100% guaranty that a product will be bug-free, but lately, Apple has gotten noticeably sloppy.

Anyway, I truly hope this isn't going to become a trend....otherwise, sooner or later, it's going to be very hard to tell the difference between a Mac and a Windows PC....

I read an article where Microsoft was going to battle back against Apple with regards to their "Get a Mac" ad campaign highlighting Vistas problems. I guess the iPhone 3G launch will give them plenty of fodder!

I can see it now, their version of PC and Mac and the PC guy talking on a typical smart phone and the the Mac guy trying to get his iPhone to work. Or PC Guy touting apps available for WinMobile that actually work and Mac complaining about the app crashes and having to restart the iPhone.

Sounds like iPhone 3G is Windows 95 without the SP-#'s. Price it even lower Apple that way people won't mind that you are selling them crap. Isn't that what was said about Windows?

Anyway, love Apple, but love the fact that I am not the proud owner of the iPhone 3G. I'll wait until the articles in AI start talking about how the iPhone "Just Works" and that the App store apps really work.

Does anyone out there know of how well the apps for the jail broken iPhone faired? Did they work like a charm or did you have to deal with a lot of crashes while using them as well?
  • Reply 22 of 187
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Really?

It has been mentioned all over the web that for the size of this roll out Apple did an excellent job. I tend to agree. There wasn't much of an option to spread all the various parts out.

D.

?? Didn't you happen to turn on a TV at all last weekend and see any news that constantly reported the less -than -stellar launch?
  • Reply 23 of 187
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    It's apparent that there are problems, but for a device that's supposedly exceeded a million units sold, those support threads aren't that long.
  • Reply 24 of 187
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    True enough it is buggy. I was waiting for a story like this. Apple will issue updates to fix the bugs. This story will pass, it's not that big of a deal.
  • Reply 25 of 187
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markymarc View Post

3. Battery Life- I left the house yesterday at 6:30am with a fully charged iphone. I flew to a meeting in Las Vegas (1 hour flight) and by noon, my phone was already needing a recharge. Keep in mind, this was simply due to checking email (no Fetch was activated), no wifi searching, etc. THIS WAS NOT 5 hours of constant talk time, but simply having the phone "on".

That sounds about right, but it's clear the OS isn't optimized as well as it should be. Did you turn WiFi off for the entire duration (I don't mean unconnected to a network)? Did you go into Airplane Mode for the duration of the flight? If the phone was 'on', do you mean that you weren't listening to music, watching vids, or playing games, etc?
  • Reply 26 of 187
    My wife and I each have an iPhone 3g. The both work perfectly in our late model BMWs. Pairing, contacts, calls - all perfect. We share cars and both phones are paired to each car. In addition my car has the iPod interface and the iPhone works perfectly - all data is displayed on the main screen. Playlists, genres, artists etc. and control is via the steering wheel buttons or iDrive. I am surprised to hear that others are having problems!
  • Reply 27 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That sounds about right, but it's clear the OS isn't optimized as well as it should be. Did you turn WiFi off for the entire duration (I don't mean unconnected to a network)? Did you go into Airplane Mode for the duration of the flight? If the phone was 'on', do you mean that you weren't listening to music, watching vids, or playing games, etc?

If he says he simply had the phone "on"- why would you think he did all of that?
  • Reply 28 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcar901 View Post

My wife and I each have an iPhone 3g. The both work perfectly in our late model BMWs. Pairing, contacts, calls - all perfect. We share cars and both phones are paired to each car. In addition my car has the iPod interface and the iPhone works perfectly - all data is displayed on the main screen. Playlists, genres, artists etc. and control is via the steering wheel buttons or iDrive. I am surprised to hear that others are having problems!

Is the car charging the phone? Are you using its battery?
  • Reply 29 of 187
    I tend to be more of an Apple apologist or "Fanboy" than most when it comes to Apple products. What can I say, I'm just passionate about Apple. Since 1997 I've owned 4 laptops, 5 ipods and one iphone (Gen 1). My immediate family currently has 5 more computers, 4 more ipods, and 2 more iphones. The point being that I have plenty of experience with Apple products upon which I base my opinion. Lately, my apologist ability is getting worn thin. Iphone software version 2 sucks. It really does. I loved my iphone so much last week that I have convinced dozens of people to buy one this year. Seriously, I'm an evangelist. Today, I would no longer recommend that anyone buy an iphone - the software is that bad.

safari - when i fill in form blanks the screen shifts with each keystroke, making it impossible to type. I use a webmail service so this has resulted in my inability to use the iphone for email.

new apps - wow, the app store is a great idea. unfortunately, with the crashing it is a failure and remains just an idea.

maps - used to work great. now, since it tries to track where I am it freezes constantly.

phone - i can't type a number or even select a contact - the delay is so long that by the time it realizes I've pressed a button the screen has already changed.

crashes - never thought i'd see the day when the black screen of death on my apple product gets me more upset than windows' blue screen of death. My phone now (since the download) just goes black sometimes and I have to turn it on again.

This is worse than I've ever seen Apple do. If they don't release a patch soon, and I mean within days, we will see a serious hit to new sales as the grapevine will no longer be supportive. I just can't in good conscience recommend this product.
  • Reply 30 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It was a quick flight, and I did listen to some music but only about 20 minutes worth. Wifi was turned off.. It was really annoying and frustrating..

I would say that's the biggest issue.. A friend did show me a device called Mofie (sp) that provides her with 16 hours of time on her first iphone, but it does add a lot of bulk to the phone. Haven't looked to see if a 3G model is out yet.

So it just added insult to injury when i got back to my car and tried charging it with the iPod integration kit, only to find that scary yellow triangle/exclamation point warning on my phone.
  • Reply 31 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

If he says he simply had the phone "on"- why would you think he did all of that?

I find most people don't communicate well. To him having it 'on' could be implying that he took all other precautions to conserve the battery. Since I have no history with this person it would illogical for me to assume such things. Hence my inquiry.
  • Reply 32 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

The real fun must be in standing in long lines and getting to be one of the first to become frustrated. I mean, nobody around you in Starbucks really knows if your iPhone 3G is working, right? It's so cool just to be seen having it... just keep talking loudly like nothing's broke.

edit: I admit, I want one... trying hard to justify the extra $100/month the plan would cost me, and my Cingular reception was poor (nonexistent) at my home. Can't say I trust AT&T. I will, however, certainly wait till the furor wanes.

Well if you're stupid enough to wait in long lines after last year's $600 iPhone, that people waited in lines for hours to buy, is now actually 2/3rds less- than you deserve it.
  • Reply 33 of 187
    Quote:

It was a quick flight, and I did listen to some music but only about 20 minutes worth. Wifi was turned off.. It was really annoying and frustrating..

I would say that's the biggest issue.. A friend did show me a device called Mofie (sp) that provides her with 16 hours of time on her first iphone, but it does add a lot of bulk to the phone. Haven't looked to see if a 3G model is out yet.

So it just added insult to injury when i got back to my car and tried charging it with the iPod integration kit, only to find that scary yellow triangle/exclamation point warning on my phone.

The 3G model doesn't come out until September
  • Reply 34 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Is the car charging the phone? Are you using its battery?

The phone charges when plugged into the iPod adapter. When initially plugged in the iPhone displays "not compatible with this device would you like to use airplane mode?" Press "no" and all is good! works perfectly and charges.
  • Reply 35 of 187
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Apple needs to look closely at the power consumption that the 3G iphone is using and make some serious changes. I had a Nokia 3G phone previously and had the same type of battery and I was surfing the net and making calls and could easily get 2+ days from one charge.

Also the version of safari on the iphone 3G and possibly the first gen one is still lagging behind and would more than likely have the same security issue and the 3.1.1 version we had on our macs which is now at 3.1.2

This may well help some people with battery life I let my iphone 3G fully drain and switch off before recharging upto 5 or 6 times this allows the full capacity of the battery to be usable and prolongs the life of it.

I have seen any crashes of apps as yet maybe I am just lucky in that way so far. But I do see the lag a lot when doing certain things.

I am hoping apple will fix as much as possible before releasing the next FW version and they really should look at testing in more countries as different carriers may be having some different affects on reception, battery life, GPRS and alike which should really be addressed fully.
  • Reply 36 of 187
    Quote:

The 3G model doesn't come out until September

I, too, am looking forward to the Mophie Juice Pack. It took them 10 months to get the first one out for the iPhone, I hope this one is faster. I like it because it acts like a case and keep it on indefinitely as it has a iPod-connector pass through in it.

If you are just looking for a battery pack and don't care about a seperate charging unit there is one with almost as much mAh as the current Mophie unit and half the price.
    PS: You can edit your previous posts.

PPS: Welcome to AI.
  • Reply 37 of 187
    Quote:

As a long time avid Mac/Apple fan it saddens me to report that the upgrade to the 3G has been perhaps the most disappointing Apple experience I've had..

1. Compatibility with Mercedes Benz- my old iphone worked flawlessly. There was even a cool feature that by pressing single digits on the dashboard keypad, it would speed dial my iphone's favorites .. So pressing #1, would speed dial the first favorite, #2 the second, etc. With the new phone that feature no longer works. Calling AWS (Mercedes dedicated wireless support group) actually stated "the new phone is not compatible, so the fact you even get it to work is a positive thing!"

Thanks.. I just HATE to have to be so DISAPPOINTED about something I want to love so much!

Works perfectly in BMWs!
  • Reply 38 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcar901 View Post

The phone charges when plugged into the iPod adapter. When initially plugged in the iPhone displays "not compatible with this device would you like to use airplane mode?" Press "no" and all is good! works perfectly and charges.

Well then maybe that explains why you are not having battery issues like the other that are mentioned? I suspect you referring to the apps problems mentioned .
  • Reply 39 of 187
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I'm quite pleased with my 3g iPhone. Sure, some apps are a little buggy... but it's still the best damn hand held device out there.
  • Reply 40 of 187
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I'm quite pleased with my 3g iPhone. Sure, some apps are a little buggy... but it's still the best damn hand held device out there.

couldn't agree more!