Class action suit claims Apple deceived over iPhone 3G speeds

Comments

• Reply 81 of 211
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

And if the 3G iPhone reverts to speeds of the original iPhone, then nothing was gained for her purchase of a less expensive phone but a more expensive rate plan.

Tell me she doesn't have GPS service in her area, too, so she couldn't enjoy any of the newer hardware features of the iPhone 3G.

Sometimes cellular service providers--Verizon included--charge $10/month just for GPS.

http://www.mobiledia.com/news/43507.html
  • Reply 82 of 211
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

But a class action lawsuit generally doesn't help the consumer. It might get a small coupon to buy another product from the same company. Relatively speaking, it's just a slap on the hand and the company that was sued can go about their business.

So I guess Erin Brockovich... :

And PG&E's slap on the hand...

And the people it helped past, present and future... \

All good natured ribbing aside...

Sometimes, some good can come about and if the movie about the company, the people harmed, the investigation, the monetary award, if that was all true, well what can I say.
  • Reply 83 of 211
    Quote:

My "Can you hear me now? No! take on Verizon's commercial is merely satire of someone who cannot for the life of them get reliable 3G

Oh, a foreign commercial :-)

Sorry, had no idea.
  • Reply 84 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Then make the lawsuit about the product not working.

Then see where things fall.

Can't do that, some members on these and other forums are enjoying 3G, so the product in those cases works.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Am I missing something - the lawsuit sounds like it's about false advertising.

Isn't Apple working on a fix to rectify 3G issues? It's hard to enjoy all those twice as fast features as advertised in Apple's commercial, when your 3G iPhone device connects "less than a quarter of the time" in an area that Apple's own partner carrier says should provide "excellent" 3G coverage.

It's not a matter of hating the device and returning it. It's a matter that Apple apparently had major issues with some of their products and that these problems are denying some customers all the benefits that Apple's advertisement said they would enjoy. Not that they would enjoy it 100% all the time, but definitely more than, I would like to think, 25% of the time. Would Apples sales average of 95 iPhones per day per store ring true, if the customer knows that there may be severe limitations for what ever reason 75% of the time that you would not enjoy twice as fast speeds. Would you have bought a 3G iPhone if 3G would "work" less than 25% of the time?
  • Reply 85 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

it promises Internet access "twice as fast"

Here the ads say "really fast" instead.

I have no problem getting 1.5Mbit/s on the iPhone though.

However it gives poorer reception than my previous 5 3G phones, it's as bad as my first 3G phone from 2003 - however much of that was due to the Network still being built out back then.

I have an officially unlocked iPhone 3G and have changed network. Speeds are vastly better on my new network, but the reception in marginal areas is still not up to scratch.
  • Reply 86 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

http://www.apple.com/iphone/gallery/ads/unslow/

"3G not available in all areas."

But GUARANTEED at Steve's Keynote speech!
  • Reply 87 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Tell me she doesn't have GPS service in her area, too, so she couldn't enjoy any of the newer hardware features of the iPhone 3G.

Sometimes cellular service providers--Verizon included--charge $10/month just for GPS.

http://www.mobiledia.com/news/43507.html

I'm not sure but doesn't GPS require 3G service?

If not, why didn't Apple put GPS in the first iPhone versus all that triangulation of cell tower and wifi signals etc. that would pinpoint your location in a 10 block radius versus within exactly 10 feet of where GPS says you are?

If GPS requires fast 3G speeds for the triangulation of satellites in outer space, and she is only getting 3G less than 25% of the time, then GPS, along with other benefits, cannot be truly enjoyed.
  • Reply 88 of 211
    It's been nice jawboning with everyone tonight, but I'm headed for bed.

To all those that have a working 3G iPhone - terrific!

To all those that have a 3G iPhone and wished they had 3G iPhone - hang in there, I'm sure it won't be long.

At least you have an iPhone to marvel and praise or bitch about. I, on the other hand, am economically unable at this point in time. I cannot increase the monthly cost of my cellular service so I stick to my low rate, non 3G, 5 year old crappy phone. For now...

GOOD NIGHT ONE AND ALL!!!!
  • Reply 89 of 211
    Quote:

If not, why didn't Apple put GPS in the first iPhone versus all that triangulation of cell tower and wifi signals etc.

No, GPS doesn't require 3G service. Google Maps do download over the internet though, so without internet it's a bit useless. Regular maps download fine on 2G, but satellite pictures are slow.

Apple chose not to include GPS in the first iPhone. Perhaps it was to save power, perhaps it was to save space...
  • Reply 90 of 211
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

But GUARANTEED at Steve's Keynote speech!

Where in the keynote did Jobs guarantee that 3G would be universally available?

Quote:

Isn't Apple working on a fix to rectify 3G issues? It's hard to enjoy all those twice as fast features as advertised in Apple's commercial, when your 3G iPhone device connects "less than a quarter of the time" in an area that Apple's own partner carrier says should provide "excellent" 3G coverage.

One could make the argument that Apple is as much a victim as the complainant if the problem is that ATT overstated their 3G coverage in areas. Perhaps this is part of the reason that Apple must now rework the 3G iPhone firmware.

Quote:

But if her experience is such that she never got to enjoy 3G service and thus 3G speeds and thus could not experience twice as fast as the original iPhone, then she never had a "3G" iPhone, did she? And if the 3G iPhone reverts to speeds of the original iPhone, then nothing was gained for her purchase of a less expensive phone but a more expensive rate plan.

Using your logic, Apple should be unwilling to sell the iPhone to anyone in Vermont, Nebraska, Idaho and countless other places because someone residing/working there will be unable to enjoy the benefits of 3G. Of course, this would then need to be applied to other handset makers whose 3G speeds are not available in all areas. Are you suggesting you prefer the furtherance of the "nanny state"?
  • Reply 91 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You would have to penalize every computer and electronics manufacturer because at some point they sold a defective product.

True tenobell, but if they warranted being sued, they should be.
  • Reply 92 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Are you kidding???? You've not even come close to stating anything quantitive which, of course, is the normal course of business on these forums. Whatever is emotionally satisfying goes. How does the 3G iPhone compare to the 1G? Do you have any statistics to compare? Do you have any idea what quantitative means?

Apple's claims weren't relative to Nokia they were relative to the 1G iPhone? I don't know if they're right or wrong. I do know that with the 10 3G iPhone's we've purchased they are easily more that 2x faster than the 1G where there is 3G service. Every FACT I have at my disposal support Apple's claims but I'm the first to admit I don't have statistics EITHER way. Swish!!!

Did you bother to read my disclaimer that my test was not scientific or were you too busy typing to read it. I was simply saying and I can go slower if you want, that my other 3G phones seem to perform better than Apple's supposed 3G phone. You are clearly free to read whatever else you want into. Add pixies, fairies, rabbits, ducks, whatever you need to get some sort of edification out of creating jack when none was called for.

Check and mate.
  • Reply 93 of 211
    did i seriously just read that "there is no doubt" that the iphone is slower compared to other phones on 3g networks? PROVE that is the case for every person. my friend has a samsung instinct and my FIRST GEN iphone can load web pages faster almost every time, as well as youtube videos (which is startlingly better on the iphone, along with just about every other aspect of the 2 phones including his scratched-to-hell screen thanks to cheap plastic). my coworker's 3g iphone loads pages much faster than my iphone, so in fact THERE IS NO DOUBT the iphone 3g is faster than the first gen iphone. if a witch burns and wood burns and both wood and ducks float in water, then if someone weighs the same as a duck they must be a witch.
  • Reply 94 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Nah - it's a ploy by MS and RIM to try to get some negative press for the iPhone

I'm with you tho - this seems like a bit of a paper-thin argument and a good lawyer (of which Apple has plenty) could defeat it. I wonder if the 2.0.2 update fixed it for her - now wouldn't that be funny - haha.

By the time this ever makes it to any real resolution Apple will have released another update that should fix the problem for all but maybe .5% of people at most.

Required Vista upgrades killed my audio card - I think I should file a class action suit...

i have been an APPLE DIE HARD FANBOY (fan man now) 'since '1984 i am an IT TECH in nyc- and i was # 19 on line July 11 at the Soho store in nyc- i waited one whole year and basically drooled over my friends who bought the 1st gen. i-Phone and figured i would wait it out so that i wouldn't be one of the 'testers' of the 1st one- and so when i got my new baby in my hand it was nothing but pure joy and happiness until i tried to use the phone to make calls (most of which were dropped) my mother in florida screamed at me and told me her verizon cell works in the caves in Puerto Rico and she couldn't stand the dropped call issue and insisted on giving me her calling card number so i can call her from a LAN line or other phone-- she also suggested that i'd return the phone back to Apple - i figured- well it must be something where they'll get the kinks out by the 2nd week of the release-

so i gave them the benefit of the doubt-i still had issues so i took the phone into the Soho store and they just replaced it for a new one- which was worse than my first one (the apple store GENIUS guy) also mentioned, after i asked him if what i was getting was a refurbished unit, told me that not at the moment, but that in a month or two he couldn't guarantee me that would be the case-

I have been reading the post on here and elsewhere and believe me when i tell u that i have been having problems

-even more so than before (i just ran the new update) and now my 3rd party apps don't work - the apple genius blamed it on the 3rd party developers - whatever the case may be i have to commend that young lady for her brave lawsuit - and who knows; maybe david might beat goliath here- and APPLE will fix this issue!!!

I STILL LOVE APPLE and remember what VISTA acronym stands for; Viruses Inevitable Stick To Apple = VISTA
  • Reply 95 of 211
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

No, Rot'n, the iPhone 3G has "a-GPS" (assisted GPS), which is superior to unassisted GPS, but doesn't require cellular service for localization. a-GPS can utilize cell tower signals and a database of cell tower locations accessed over the cellular data network to triangulate faster than using GPS satellite signals alone.
  • Reply 96 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigFatDuck View Post

did i seriously just read that "there is no doubt" that the iphone is slower compared to other phones on 3g networks? PROVE that is the case for every person. my friend has a samsung instinct and my FIRST GEN iphone can load web pages faster almost every time, as well as youtube videos (which is startlingly better on the iphone, along with just about every other aspect of the 2 phones including his scratched-to-hell screen thanks to cheap plastic). my coworker's 3g iphone loads pages much faster than my iphone, so in fact THERE IS NO DOUBT the iphone 3g is faster than the first gen iphone. if a witch burns and wood burns and both wood and ducks float in water, then if someone weighs the same as a duck they must be a witch.

Is it an African Swallow?
  • Reply 97 of 211
    oodlumoodlum Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Honestly, I don't think I've EVER had a product that performed as advertised and I'd challenge that none of you have either. Has your Mac ever crashed?* Has an application ever froze on you? ***Have you ever had a non-maintainance related problem with your vehicle? Have those Dr. Sholls insoles made you start "gellin"? (Had to throw that one in there for comic relief ) That's advertising - they always advertise the best case scenario - if you're still thinking that every single thing you buy is going to be 100% error free then you don't understand the nature of manufacturing on the massive scale these companies are operating on.

*I've never seen an advertisement claiming that macs never crash.

**I've never seen an advertisement claiming that apps never freeze.

***I've never seen an advertisement claiming that my car will never need maintenance.

This suit may seem petty but the point is that Apple promised 2x edge speeds. False advertising.

Your analogies are feeble, no matter how confidently you state them.
  • Reply 98 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Exactamundo. Right on the money.

I have two other 3G phones.

Good for you although why you need three phones is anyones guess. Sell off the other two, iPhone is all you need and give the proceeds to charity.
  • Reply 99 of 211
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Good for you although why you need three phones is anyones guess. Sell off the other two, iPhone is all you need and give the proceeds to charity.

Here's a thought. How about you minding your own biz when it comes to what I do with my money and I will do the same. Obviously your world is very, very tiny and you do not need more than the most basic to survive. Sooooo take your iPhone, stay in your lane and don't worry about how many phones I do and do not have, and where I choose to donate.

Mmmmk. Thanks for stopping by.
  • Reply 100 of 211
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,686member
    Apple will be forced to either pull the ads or add the same disclaimer they have on their website...

"Based on 3G and EDGE testing. Actual speeds vary by site conditions."

This is kinda like buying a crystal clear TV from BestBuy and taking it home to the middle of no where. After you hook it up, all you get is a crappy reception, which was nothing like what you saw in the store. Then filing a class action suit against the TV manufacturer, because your reception isn't as good as it was in the store or in the commercial. Ridiculous.

Stupid people are the reason we have so many Lawyers and Insurance Companies.