Apple confirms September 9th special event: "Let's Rock"

Comments

• Reply 121 of 154
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

in that time frame I'll know how it's possible.

We'll all know.

Quote:

"The Internet is not a big lorry. It?s a series of valves.?

Nope, still doesn't make sense, but it does fit better into a William Gibson novel.

Actually, it does.

Each node is a valve in a sense, allowing the signal to pass through in a specified route.
  • Reply 122 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Fingers crossed for AlumiMB's. Well - then again maybe not. My bank account would be much better off if they don't give me what I want! hahah

I think the Apple invitation looks very iPod/iTunes centric. To those who say that the linked article says the same, this is absolutely true - but in this case they don't know any more than we do.... which is that invitation really looks iPod/iTunes focussed!! That said... I guess Apple could do anything. They don't really have to give away what they're going to release - but in the past their invitations have been pretty good indicators of what the event is about.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

I wonder if they'll try the iPod Touch "Pro" with a massive screen (relatively speaking, something like 4.5 - 5"), GPS with downloadable maps (I know that's basically a pipe dream) in 16, 32 and 64 GB sizes?

Wouldn't that be great? I really think they need to differentiate from the iPhone, and a bigger touch would do that. 1.5x width and height is 5.25 inches - and would mean the portrait width would match the landscape width of the current Touch/iPhone

I'd ask for Bluetooth as well - then it can dial into the net via my mobile phone. I need a stylus for scribbling diagrams at work... but i'm not holding out much hope.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple do four things all with one motion.

1: Release an iPod nano touch

2: Call this new device the "iPod nano"

3: Drop the word "touch" on their touch nanos, in turn highlighting the product transition of apples portable line up to touch. (This concept to be extended track pad on the new macbooks and macbook pros.) iPod with the click wheel would still hold the suffix: "Classic"

Okay - so a smaller iPod Touch? Also fits my thoughts since a smaller touch differentiates itself from the iPhone too. And could match the previous rumours of a smaller-screened iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Apple 'is', not Apple 'are'.

Drives me nuts.

But then the big motivational leaders have to say "Looking around me at all of you today, I want you to know that 'we is Apple'" :-)
  • Reply 123 of 154
    imatimat Posts: 209member
    Besides the mentioned release of the iPods (which I think is more than likely given the image of the invitation), I think iTunes 8.0 will also be released.

Likely to be included in iTunes 8.0:

- separation between App Store (including the new app store for the smaller iPods) and Music store (search terms and so on)

What I WISH WOULD BE INCLUDED:

- movies and TV shows in all of Europe (driven by the iPhone success and helping AppleTV getting out of the limbo (I own one of those, happily but I wish there was more to it...). I know it is not likely, but hey... Dreaming is possible (although I stress unlikeliness since the event has to do with "Rocking something").

- better sync interface for iPods. The current one is good only for iPods but not for iPod Touch and iPhone. Interface should be accessible also when device is not connected (to apply settings) and, MORE IMPORTANT, there should be a much better option for syncing pictures. Right now all my Aperture projects and albums appear as an endless and indifferentiated list from which it is sometimes hard to pick. Apple has this wonderful media browser for the iLife and iWorks suite, why not apply it to iTunes?

- better iTunes-TimeMachine integration, making it easy to browse TimeMachine in search of items and restore.

These are the things I wish would be included.

A bigger iPod as mentioned wouldn't be an iPod in the first place, but rather a Newton so I would see it delayed to MWSF as the "boom" announcement. Redesign of MB and MBP is not much of a "boom" announcement (in my opinion) to have the center stage at MWSF.
  • Reply 124 of 154
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Hey iMat, I am with you

I'd like to even see iTunes and iPhoto merge. Why, if all your media, both video and audio, is in iTunes, do you want to use a separate program (or worse yet, Explorer/Finder)

iTunes has an almost entirely well rounded media setup. They fail at eBooks, and Photo's, thats all. I'd like to see this management included.

Yeah, a redesign, and PLEASE PLEASE APPLE: Cocoa iTunes!!!

Its been 2 years since an update, why so long? Please be about a new, cocoa iTunes!
  • Reply 125 of 154
    Quote:

I know it doesn't mean much, but this focus on the iPod causes doubt about new notebook cases. Surely there will be a bump in processor, etc., but this apparent Intel delay of Montevina may be pushing things back. My Mac is 9 months old, it's time for a refresh!

Mine is over two years old. First gen MacBook, released May 2006, bought July 2006.

You stinking bastage! (Watch them get me for a personal attack.)
  • Reply 126 of 154
    Quote:

Exactly what part of my post was I complaining in? I update my machines frequently because I like technology, I also donate?not sell?my old machines to others. I am looking forward to a new MBP in a new case, and have promised my current MB to my nephew. He is expecting it to be shipped as soon as the new machines are available, because that is what I told him I would do. If the notebook refresh isn't updated with a new case it just means I get a Montevina MBP in the old style and I'll buy a new one come January if they are updated again. As for spoiled, absolutely. I have worked hard and smart to be able to treat myself well, but I wouldn't describe myself as being ill behaved.

Best response ever.
  • Reply 127 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

I'd like to even see iTunes and iPhoto merge. Why, if all your media, both video and audio, is in iTunes, do you want to use a separate program (or worse yet, Explorer/Finder)

iTunes has an almost entirely well rounded media setup. They fail at eBooks, and Photo's, thats all. I'd like to see this management included.

That scares me. I agree in part - why manage movies in iTunes, but slideshows are separate? But remember that home slideshows and home movies aren't really integrated into iTunes, just purchased/commercial movies.

(in fact... you have events in iMovie and in iPhoto. And you can make simple slideshows in iPhoto, and make the same slideshows in iMovie (iMovie is much harder but can also do more complicated shows) - so in some ways they should be integrated.)

That said .... an overhaul of media management would be great. We treat movies differently to how we treat music - so to me that would either mean separating movies out of iTunes, or something like a tabbed system in a renamed iTunes ("iMedia"?) - with Music being one major tab, movies as another major tab, etc.
  • Reply 128 of 154
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    I agree.

I thought previously about iMedia, but its a branding issue. Its the biggest music store in existence - do they really want to change the name?

I agree that management needs to be different for each, and would love to see the Big Fruit do it. I was more meaning the integration into one program, one location so that it allows purchases and home stuff to sit side-by side in a good management model.

Breaking them up is important too, but remember that with the store there, you have the choice, join them together or break them up? Much easier to join together and differentiate in the app itself.

Its also faster instead of opening ten apps to do what you want.
  • Reply 129 of 154
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Nicely Thesaurusized if somewhat inappropriate usage

Indeed, not the correct miscreant at all at all. Sisyphus had to roll a rock up a hill ... which was a task, not a tease.

Tantalizing would be a much better word since a) it is less obscure and b) since Tantalus, in punishment for his crimes, was "forced to remain in chin-deep water with fruit-laden branches over his head, both of which receded when he reached for them." A perfect analogy!
  • Reply 130 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

I thought previously about iMedia, but its a branding issue. Its the biggest music store in existence - do they really want to change the name?

A good and important point.

Quote:

I agree that management needs to be different for each, and would love to see the Big Fruit do it. I was more meaning the integration into one program, one location so that it allows purchases and home stuff to sit side-by side in a good management model.

I'm not so sure.

Remember the traditional way of managing our files - documents, spreadsheets, music, movies, whatever - is to use the finder. Then Apple made iTunes to manage our music, and it abandoned the finder for a different model. Then iTunes added Coverflow, then coverflow was added to the finder. And smart playlists are just like smart folders aren't they?

I guess what I'm saying is that we've had the finder managing our files for many years. Perhaps we need to find a new way of managing everything, which learns from (and replaces) iTunes AND the finder.

Quote:

Its also faster instead of opening ten apps to do what you want.

There's a sweet spot for the number of steps. 10 distinct apps are better than one app which merges 10 things which are more easily filed separately. Apple has done amazingly well in the last few years with interfaces that access minimal data... time to step up to big data management. Perhaps the final solution requires integration with iDisk, Windows, Mac... NOT EASY

But back on topic - yeah, iTunes 8 would be great. I hope it's had a major overhaul and rethink, in order to handle the variety of media we now have.
  • Reply 131 of 154
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

iPod Vvvvrooom!

odds are 1000000000000000000000000 to 1

ladies and gentlemens, place your bets.
  • Reply 132 of 154
    I have been saving up all summer to buy a macbook pro and even sold my macbook. I now have £1300 but is it worth holding off buying an air or today's macbook pro until octoberish or can I expect one to be announced on 9th september? Or should I just buy an air/MBP today?

Thanks
  • Reply 133 of 154
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxy1000 View Post

I have been saving up all summer to buy a macbook pro and even sold my macbook. I now have £1300 but is it worth holding off buying an air or today's macbook pro until octoberish or can I expect one to be announced on 9th september? Or should I just buy an air/MBP today?

Thanks

The long...

While the advert for the Special Event points directly at iTunes/iPod, they are simple flyers and shouldn't be relied upon as hardcore evidence. I'd at least wait out the next week to see what is revealed.

However, it is my opinion that even if new notebooks are announced next week they won't be available for sale until October, at the earliest. This is based on Intel's delays of Montevina and that I see no evidence that anyone is shipping mobile Montevina machines right now. To me, it means there isn't any production of these chips, especially not the numbers Apple requires. On top of that the additional issues with the X4500 integrated graphics may delay the MB and MBA upgrade even longer than the MBP.

The short...

Hold out until next week before deciding and welcome to AI.
  • Reply 134 of 154
    According to the invitation's picture, those who have iPod/iPhone, they will fall from the window!

• Reply 135 of 154
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxy1000 View Post

Thanks

There will NOT be laptop updates at Tuesday's special event. It will be iPod/iTunes ONLY. I 100% Guarantee.

That said, I think it's very likely laptops will be updated by the end of October.
  • Reply 136 of 154
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

For bonus points, (without looking it up), upon which syllable does the emphasis fall? 2nd or 3rd?

Sisyphean or

Sisyphean

My personal Sisyphean task is convincing people (particularly our friends in the UK) that corporations are singular, not plural. Apple 'is', not Apple 'are'.

Drives me nuts.

The British is being very naughty!
  • Reply 137 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

The British is being very naughty!

The British is grammatically correct
  • Reply 138 of 154
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    How about a 32GB flash-based tv in a much smaller package that could be used for mobile applications. Wireless syncing when you pull in your driveway!
  • Reply 139 of 154
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

However, it is my opinion that even if new notebooks are announced next week they won't be available for sale until October, at the earliest. This is based on Intel's delays of Montevina and that I see no evidence that anyone is shipping mobile Montevina machines right now.

Montevina was delayed from June to July, it's now September.

Toshiba, Sony and Asus, and presumably a few more manufacturers, are shipping laptops with Montevina (aka Centrino 2):

Toshiba: Satellite Pro S300

Sony: VAIO Z, BZ, SR and FW series.

Asus: G50V, M70Vm-C1, M50Vm, F8Va, U6V, F6V

Edit: Just visit newegg.com and search for "Centrino 2", and you'll see you've got plenty of choices.
  • Reply 140 of 154
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Montevina was delayed from June to July, it's now September.

Toshiba, Sony and Asus, and presumably a few more manufacturers, are shipping laptops with Montevina (aka Centrino 2):

Toshiba: Satellite Pro S300

Sony: VAIO Z, BZ, SR and FW series.

Asus: G50V, M70Vm-C1, M50Vm, F8Va, U6V, F6V

Edit: Just visit newegg.com and search for "Centrino 2", and you'll see you've got plenty of choices.

Cool. Those all escaped my view. I guess it's time to update my RSS.

edit: No wonder I wasn't finding any. I was only searching for the small package chips version numbers