NVIDIA allegedly showing new MacBooks to staff

24567

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 130
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,417member
    They'd be stupid to release a computer in the current economic climate, even for Apple. People are not going to shell out their money when they all think the world is coming to an end.
  • Reply 22 of 130
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    You don't buy PA Semi who can do what Apple needs to separate their systems from general Intel specs and then turn to Nvidia for the solution.



    False.



    Maybe you are right that it is false, but I don't think your reasoning flies so well. nVidia has proven Intel chipset experience, PA Semi does not have any Intel chipset experience as a company. Apple only owned PA Semi for about half a year.
  • Reply 23 of 130
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    They'd be stupid to release a computer in the current economic climate, even for Apple. People are not going to shell out their money when they all think the world is coming to an end.



    Apple introduced the first iPod about six weeks after 9/11. People thought that introducing a brand new product line in a market new to Apple in an uncertain time was a bad idea.



    The thing is, the development work on the new computer is most likely already done and paid for. Why not just kick it out the door rather than let that investment go unused? Apple will probably use the style for three years anyway.
  • Reply 24 of 130
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    Apple introduced the first iPod about six weeks after 9/11. People thought that introducing a brand new product line in a market new to Apple in an uncertain time was a bad idea.



    The thing is, the development work on the new computer is most likely already done and paid for. Why not just kick it out the door rather than let that investment go unused? Apple will probably use the style for three years anyway.



    By and large, Apple's core purchasers are less concerned with prices especially if they see something drool worthy. Heck, we pay a premium as it is and if reports are true of a lower price points, Apple will do fine.
  • Reply 25 of 130
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post


    By and large, Apple's core purchasers are less concerned with prices especially if they see something drool worthy. Heck, we pay a premium as it is and if reports are true of a lower price points, Apple will do fine.



    I agree.



    Maybe Apple might only grow 20% instead of 30% next quarter, but Apple isn't anywhere near trouble yet. If a lower price boosts sales, that might negate the effect of whatever economic weakness there is.
  • Reply 26 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    Maybe you are right that it is false, but I don't think your reasoning flies so well. nVidia has proven Intel chipset experience, PA Semi does not have any Intel chipset experience as a company. Apple only owned PA Semi for about half a year.



    Apple may have only owned PA Semi for half a year but I had a feeling they have been working with Apple for quite some time on a secret project. Once the major break through happened on the secret project Apple purchased the company outright to lock up the technology.



    That being said, I believe the PA Semi expertise is to do with SOC integration to give iTouch/iPhone unbeatable graphics and processing power while extending the standby and talk-time, not work on the mac at this time. Possibly though the PA Semi work could be in the area of ultra-power efficient GPU cores which could scale all thr way from the Macbook line down to the iPhone/iTouch platform. By using a single customized GPU in both MacBook and iPhone/iTouch the unit cost of the components could be kept to a minimum.
  • Reply 27 of 130
    poopedpooped Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by offshore View Post


    ...Graphics aren't too important in a laptop, and I don't really understand people who want fantastical GFX cards in a MacBook, but something a bit more capable than the GMA would be welcome..



    there are a lot of photographers and filmmakers who do on location editing for things like photoshoots, news items, music festivals etc.

    the portability of a laptop is very important but also the graphics card.

    as it is now I can edit a movie on my macBook, but have to find a macpro to bounce to tape for exporting the video.

    if there are better graphics involved, I'll be very tempted to sell the blackBook and buy a new one.



    I just hope it won't be the horrible, horrible aluminium shell with a black keyboard.

    I really don't like that look..
  • Reply 28 of 130
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 1,871member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    Apple introduced the first iPod about six weeks after 9/11. People thought that introducing a brand new product line in a market new to Apple in an uncertain time was a bad idea.



    That's correct, but it took more than 6 weeks to plan and design the iPod. By that time, the tooling was probably completed and manufacturing was already churning, they were to far ahead to stop.



    As for the MacBooks it would be a mistake for Apple not to modify its current product line to suit the upcoming economy. Pricey MacPros are especially vulnerable to bad economies, and this won't be anymore obvious now than before, so a mid tower should be a no brainer.
  • Reply 29 of 130
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post


    That's correct, but it took more than 6 weeks to plan and design the iPod. By that time, the tooling was probably completed and manufacturing was already churning, they were to far ahead to stop.



    As for the MacBooks it would be a mistake for Apple not to modify its current product line to suit the upcoming economy. Pricey MacPros are especially vulnerable to bad economies, and this won't be anymore obvious now than before, so a mid tower should be a no brainer.



    Are you suggesting that it takes less time and work to develop MacBooks than iPods? Why doesn't your argument on iPods apply to MacBooks? And you're suggesting that Apple can punch out a brand new product between now and whenever this upcoming economy takes place? I am not convinced you put anymore than fleeting thought to what you wrote.
  • Reply 30 of 130
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 1,871member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    Are you suggesting that it takes less time and work to develop MacBooks than iPods? Why doesn't your argument on iPods apply to MacBooks? And you're suggesting that Apple can punch out a brand new product between now and whenever this upcoming economy takes place? I am not convinced you put anymore than fleeting thought to what you wrote.



    Apple has access to professional financial advisors, and unlike 9-11 the concern of a slower economy is not new and quite predictable.
  • Reply 31 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post


    iBooks and MacBooks have been upgraded every fall since the beginning of time.



    And this is a major screw-up every time. The Higher Education buying cycle, for both faculty and staff, and incomming students, is around June and July for schools when budgets are set, and August when students get ready to get back to school. If you have a new (therefore more competitive) product like the MacBook you want to sell to students, and you release it in September or October, you've totally missed the boat. There are two big buying events for PCs/Laptops - Christmas and Back-to-School. And the latter is eariler than Apple has figured out.
  • Reply 32 of 130
    irelandireland Posts: 17,671member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post


    iBooks and MacBooks have been upgraded every fall since the beginning of time.



    "Everything must, and always does change my friend."
  • Reply 33 of 130
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Quote:

    Thats not really good news. If you look in the PC world, Nvidia chipsets are known for running extremely hot, and as being less reliable than Intel chipsets.



    I see
  • Reply 34 of 130
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Hoping the iMac gets updated also.
  • Reply 35 of 130
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,229moderator
    I'm glad to see this rumor. The possible chipsets and chips they will be using will fully support CUDA across the lineup, which is a great grounding for OpenCL improvements in 10.6. If the Macbook gets this, then I can also see the Mini getting the same treatment and the overall lineup will start to look very appealling.



    The metallic shells will help for cooling and the designs will be unified across all the models so no mish-mash between plastic and metal.
  • Reply 36 of 130
    kestralkestral Posts: 261member
    Quote:

    No matter the end result, the anticipation is still high based on Apple's unusually drawn out update cycle. Where the company has made fairly regular updates to the MacBook range since a platform-wide switch to Intel in 2006, 2008 has seen Apple go eight months without revising its standard MacBooks and nine for the MacBook Air.



    Does anyone else think the MacBook Air is going to be updated as well? I went to the new Apple Retail Store today here in Canada @ Fairview Mall and saw the MacBook Air and fell in love. If it had 4GB RAM, a bigger HD and a Firewire 400 port, it would be my idea computer.
  • Reply 37 of 130
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,304member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    I'm glad to see this rumor. The possible chipsets and chips they will be using will fully support CUDA across the lineup, which is a great grounding for OpenCL improvements in 10.6. If the Macbook gets this, then I can also see the Mini getting the same treatment and the overall lineup will start to look very appealling.



    The metallic shells will help for cooling and the designs will be unified across all the models so no mish-mash between plastic and metal.



    Apple isn't using CUDA. They are using OpenCL. Nvidia is working towards making CUDA OpenCL compliant.
  • Reply 38 of 130
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,304member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwirob View Post


    Apple may have only owned PA Semi for half a year but I had a feeling they have been working with Apple for quite some time on a secret project. Once the major break through happened on the secret project Apple purchased the company outright to lock up the technology.



    That being said, I believe the PA Semi expertise is to do with SOC integration to give iTouch/iPhone unbeatable graphics and processing power while extending the standby and talk-time, not work on the mac at this time. Possibly though the PA Semi work could be in the area of ultra-power efficient GPU cores which could scale all thr way from the Macbook line down to the iPhone/iTouch platform. By using a single customized GPU in both MacBook and iPhone/iTouch the unit cost of the components could be kept to a minimum.



    Worked together > 4 years.
  • Reply 39 of 130
    peterrpeterr Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB PM View Post


    Thats not really good news. If you look in the PC world, Nvidia chipsets are known for running extremely hot, and as being less reliable than Intel chipsets.



    Gen 1 anybody? Oh boy this will be fun!
  • Reply 40 of 130
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    They'd be stupid to release a computer in the current economic climate, even for Apple. People are not going to shell out their money when they all think the world is coming to an end.



    Right.



    Apple should instead continue to sell the old MacBooks even though they have a cheaper, better performing model in the labs ready to go.



    Because when the going gets tough, that's when the tough choose to under-perform. And when people are disappointed in general, that's when it's time to disappoint them even more for no reason.
Sign In or Register to comment.