Sources: latest MacBook Pro photo is the real deal

Comments

• Reply 61 of 105
    Quote:

From left to right in that macbook shot the ports look like, magsafe, ethernet, 2 usb and most likely 4 pin FW def no video port on this side. I doubt the macbook will have video out port. Perhaps if we are lucky there will be a DisplayPort on the the side close to the back. Would be madness to use anything else than a DisplayPort.

Why would you doubt the MacBooks will have video out? The current ones do, as does the smaller and port-deprived MB Air, so there is no reason to believe the new ones won't.
  • Reply 62 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That looks like a 12" PB in the pic I posted.

I currently own a 12" PB and that is how the ports are configured on the left side. Just to clarify and confirm for everybody. Oct 14th!! Can't wait!!
  • Reply 63 of 105
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jak1502 View Post

I hope they do do all the colours, would be pretty cool to have an orange macbook afterall they did make the ibook in a few colours!

that would be awesome

• Reply 64 of 105
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

As another posters pointed out, I think a 4-pin 1394a port is the closest to the hole in the case.

Mini-DVI is similair, and Apple has put it between the USB and mic ports on PowerBooks, but the bottom of the hole should be more rounded at the bottom.

I believe that it would be either a 4-pin 1394a port or maybe a micro-DVI port (just like the MBA).

I am still not convinced that this photo is for a MacBook Pro (ExpressCard slot?). To me it looks more like an arrangement for a MacBook (non Pro), but the speaker holes would make it a 15" model.

DisplayPort, Ethernet, USB, USB, 4-pin FW400, audio, audio

or

Ethernet, 9-pin FW800, USB, USB, micro-DVI, audio, audio
  • Reply 65 of 105
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Why would you doubt the MacBooks will have video out? The current ones do, as does the smaller and port-deprived MB Air, so there is no reason to believe the new ones won't.

By looking at that pic and my list of ports i dont see where video is included on that side. tho there is a bit of the pic missing at the top left. Also i did say that if it isnt in this side then perhaps it is on the other side or they left it out completely which would be a shame. im sure we will see come tuesday
  • Reply 66 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

I believe that it would be either a 4-pin 1394a port or maybe a micro-DVI port (just like the MBA).

I am still not convinced that this photo is for a MacBook Pro (ExpressCard slot?). To me it looks more like an arrangement for a MacBook (non Pro), but the speaker holes would make it a 15" model.

DisplayPort, Ethernet, USB, USB, 4-pin FW400, audio, audio

or

Ethernet, 9-pin FW800, USB, USB, micro-DVI, audio, audio

The picture you are referring to is the MBP for sure, u can't see the expresscard because the image doesnt show the full side or the otherside.

ports

Magsafe, Ethernet, 9-pin FW800, USB, USB, dont know prolly 4 pin FW but why put the USB ports between the 9 pin i wonder if thats the arrangement, I dont see it matching anything else size wise def none of the display ports ive seen. id say video port is on the other side.
  • Reply 67 of 105
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

Micro-DVI looks like a smaller USB port. I don't think there are any performance changes between Mini- and Micro-DVI, so this may be a better option as Apple goes thinner as there seems to be adequate lateral space.

USB (left), Micro-DVI (right)

Quote:

It would seem it's either on the other side or that is a 15" MacBook, which wouldn't cost much more than the current MB at the same speed and offer the size that people want for their only/main PC.
  • Reply 68 of 105
    Quote:

Micro-DVI looks like a smaller USB port. I don't think there are any performance changes between Mini- and Micro-DVI, so this may be a better option as Apple goes thinner as there seems to be adequate lateral space.

USB (left), Micro-DVI (right)

Yeah i agree, the micro dvi does look very very close to a usb port. difficult to conclude exactly from those images due to the angle, shadows an clarity.

I will be disappointed if they do use a dvi variation on the MBP. DisplayPort will be used on all future computer displays an current cards are shipping with it now, it is the native port for internal display use, its small, high bandwidth, outputs audio, compatible with HDMI with adapter including the HDCP thing (not that im thrills me) and DVI.
  • Reply 69 of 105
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

I understand some people prefer the current MBP keyboard, but I wonder how many would not by a new Mac because of the keyboard change.

About three.

It's really disappointing that the new laptops appear to include internal optical drives. That is so 20th century. Might as well include a 5.25" floppy drive as well. Seven months ago, I bought an external optical drive to go with my MacBook Air and have never had to use it.
  • Reply 70 of 105
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vagvoba View Post

That's a 4 pin FireWire port. Having looked at both the MBP and the MB images, it seems like Apple is replacing the 6 pin IEEE1394a ports with 4 pin IEEE1394a ports.

(The current MBP line features a 9 pin 1394b and a 6 pin 1394a port, and the MB has only a 6 pin 1394a port.)

The difference between the 6 pin and the 4 pin 1394a ports are the different connector shape and the lack of power connections in the 4 pin version.

It is a pretty sad change for those like me who used the MB with FireWire cameras powered from the FireWire port. For us the only workaround is to buy an external FireWire power adapter (about 10 bucks). Additional hassle...

For those who used their FireWire ports only to connect their camcorders, the change will have no such consequences because camcorders have their own power supplies. They will only need to replace the cable.

I hope that's not the case, I'm looking to get a new macbook when they drop and need to power my lacie rugged drive with firewire. Lack of firewire power is huge to anyone that likes fast portable drives.
  • Reply 71 of 105
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IrishMac View Post

I hope they add HDMI at least to make it easier to plug into a plasma/lcd tv.

Agreed I'm tired of non-standard dongles and connectors, hdmi isn't a big port.
  • Reply 72 of 105
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oodlum View Post

Teckstud you are a tedious dullard troll. 1 - People download media onto their laptops. 2 - they'd like to watch it on their big-screen TV. Get it?

If they want to watch Blu-Ray with 7.1 on their big TV they will get a dedicated player. There is no need for it to be portable because the TV is BIG. Laptops play DVDs currently, but have you ever heard of anyone relying on their laptop as their primary DVD player when they went to the trouble of installing a surround sound system?

I'm not saying Apple would never include Blu-Ray, but until then their are plenty of reasons to "bother" without it.

Having said that, I think mini-DVI plus optical is fine.

All of that BS just to agree with me at the end???

And I'm the tedious dullard troll?

Then you must be the VIllage IDIOT.

An HDMI on a laptop is nice but way down the totem pole of priority unless of course there is a blu-ray drive.
  • Reply 73 of 105
    Is anyone else having trouble viewing the second photo on the article? its all blurred out like somebody went into paint and murdered it.
  • Reply 74 of 105
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Sony is adopting the MacBook keyboard.

Sony Vaio TT
  • Reply 75 of 105
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chillout View Post

Is anyone else having trouble viewing the second photo on the article? its all blurred out like somebody went into paint and murdered it.

The whole thing looks like it was shot on the moon in 1969.
  • Reply 76 of 105
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That figure seems way steep. How do the PC manufacturers include them if they cost that much?

PC's with blu-ray are simply not $1,000 more than the non-Blu-ray versions.

AND blu-ray is the only way to get HD video and 7.1 channel sound.

Wow!

I agree with you!
  • Reply 77 of 105
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

That is one option that I rarely see compared when mentioning how a MacBook compares to other PCs, but once it's gone I'm sure we'll see a lot of complaining about it. I wonder if it's not used or if was just taken for granted.

PS: I have moved my external drives to USB because FW offered too issues which required resetting the plug or restarting the Mac.

Firewire only gives me problems with my cheapest enclosure, but I get the same kind of problems with my cheapest USB enclosure too. My cheapest eSATA enclosure causes problems, but my good ones run fine. I think Melgross talks about Apple's Firewire not being quite right, he said something about voltages not being right or something like that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

It's really disappointing that the new laptops appear to include internal optical drives. That is so 20th century. Might as well include a 5.25" floppy drive as well. Seven months ago, I bought an external optical drive to go with my MacBook Air and have never had to use it.

Why did you buy it then?

I'm not really convinced about the death of optical media just yet. The avant-garde may not have much need for it, but until Apple sells all its software by download or USB media, it's too much to axe the drive. And I don't know if I want to buy yet another pair of hard drives (mirrors) just to store rips of all my DVDs.
  • Reply 78 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The whole thing looks like it was shot on the moon in 1969.

LOL. nice.
  • Reply 79 of 105
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chillout View Post

Second photo? This one?

http://images.appleinsider.com/mbp-080827-1.gif

If it's a different photo, then maybe my browser isn't showing it.
  • Reply 80 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Second photo? This one?

http://images.appleinsider.com/mbp-080827-1.gif

If it's a different photo, then maybe my browser isn't showing it.

That would be the one. Is it supposed to be a red blur or is it a problem with my browser?