Apple announces new 13-inch MacBook

Comments

• Reply 21 of 522
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drxcm View Post

No Firewire

Yeah I really do not understand that either. Do they think making movies is now something only the pros do?

I guess iMovie will be the next to be axed.
  • Reply 22 of 522
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post

How would one import video (particularly high def) without Firewire?

Panasonic and JVC sell cameras with USB ports. It seems Sony is the last hold out.

High Def on these consumer cams is highly compressed with a data rate around 25Mpbs and don't come close to 400Mbps.
  • Reply 23 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

These new Apple laptops do look really sexy, and after seeing the vid on Apple's site, I'm conifdent they just might be the best notebooks in the world, but this NOT IN ANY WAY what the computer market needs right now. WHY doesn't Apple introduce a cheaper model to gain market share? Do they want to go all elitist and snobby?

Amen to that. The aluminum models are a nice improvement, but it's incredibly stupid for apple to put so much focus on the high end and offer basically nothing for people on a budget. They are telling a large share of the market to get lost.
  • Reply 24 of 522
    fftfft Posts: 4member
    It's incredible!!! Apple just is showing its arrogant face, "Pro's buy Macbook Pro's"...

I JUST A MACBOOK WITH A FIREWIRE CONNECTION, because otherwise I can not connect my 2 FW external drives and my audio interface... but with a alluminium enclosure and gesture trackpad, is it to much to ask? just leave there the FW connection, it doesn't take to much space...

And what about the prices? do they came from mars?

Sick of this fashion thing!!!
  • Reply 25 of 522
    drxcmdrxcm Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NomadMac View Post

Uh, it lists FireWire 800 in the story AND an Express 34 card slot.

Story is not correct then
  • Reply 26 of 522
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I really can't see the point in making the MB and MBP look identical. Why not just introduce a 13" MBP instead and adopt a different styling for the MB - preferably with some colour options.
  • Reply 27 of 522
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    that has to be the nicest macbook and macbook pro's i've ever seen.

edit: yes, there is no point in getting a macbook unless you really only use it for email, internet, and various other little things.
  • Reply 28 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shatpank81 View Post

you got to be joking me, just went to order from the uk store and the macbook 13" is £949 for the nvidia/black surround version (thats about $1644) a whopping $350 dollars over what most of what you guys will pay ($1299)!

you know what apple shove it!!!

and about 2 hours ago the white macbook was £699, but now its £719????

not paying that. my current macbook currently suffers from massive/huge screen flicker (out of warranty now) and was waiting for this but like i said cant justify paying that, might end up getting the imac now or more likely now ill put leopard on a laptop!!!

Bloody noobs.
  • Reply 29 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NomadMac View Post

Uh, it lists FireWire 800 in the story AND an Express 34 card slot.

both these statement on appleinsider are incorrect, according to what i saw on the event blogs and on the Apple Store online. I think the writer must have momentarily thought he was writing about the MBP. I wish he were right though...
  • Reply 30 of 522
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    How can Apple be so smart and so stupid at the same time?

The white Macbook doesn't even have the newer X4500 Intel graphics, it is still using the older 3100. At $899 it would be a better deal, but with $500 laptops with equal or better specs, not so much. It seems like it is just there to make you get the $1299 version. If they had just included firewire or an expresscard slot it would be a lot easier to swallow.
  • Reply 31 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shatpank81 View Post

you got to be joking me, just went to order from the uk store and the macbook 13" is £949 for the nvidia/black surround version (thats about $1644) a whopping $350 dollars over what most of what you guys will pay ($1299)!

you know what apple shove it!!!

and about 2 hours ago the white macbook was £699, but now its £719????

not paying that. my current macbook currently suffers from massive/huge screen flicker (out of warranty now) and was waiting for this but like i said cant justify paying that, might end up getting the imac now or more likely now ill put leopard on a laptop!!!

A $350 difference? In the US, sales tax has to be added to that. The sales tax varies from state to state (0% in 2 states, but most are around 5-8%). For me, it's 7%, so the $1299 MacBook will actually cost me $1390. UK(and other European) prices include ridiculously high (20% + taxes...called GST or VAT). I think the UK is something like 17%

$1299 x 1.07= $1389.93

£949/1.17=£811.11 and the exchange rate (from XE at 14:36) is $1.74481=£1

£811.11 x 1.74481= $1415.23

$1415.23-$1389.93=$25.30=£14.50

That is quite close!! Remember that exchange rates vary and there is probably extra costs involved in doing business with the UK.
  • Reply 32 of 522
    This will rank as Apple's greatest marketing disaster since the Newton.

The world is on the verge of a new Depression so what does Apple do? Why, introduce a line of jewelry and increase the price 30-60%.

Add the insult of dropping Firewire - meaning many current MB users will be unable to upgrade without also upgrading their external drives - and you have a study in Marketing Arrogance 101.

On 8/4/08 in AI Comments I stated I expected AAPL to drop to $100 from $150 (to the usual round of offense, of course). I was wrong. Based on a rational PE applied to falling margins make that $70 - within 6 months.

They kept the old plastic MB for a reason - someone looked at the front page of the daily paper and said Ooops! And say what you may about the wonders of Nvidia's GPUs, 2.1 gHz (old MB) is faster than 2.0 gHz (for 30% more - new MB) in most buyers' eyes. That's marketing for you. GPUs do not sell bottom of the line notebooks- price does.

Disclosure: No AAPL position.
  • Reply 33 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samaster1991 View Post

The Hell

In the US white MacBook now $999. In the UK, white Macbook has gone up $40 - and nothings changed

Put off buying MacBook few weeks ago cos I heard it might go down in price. HAHA

Was going to buy one, but now ill go for cheaper option. Dell

Enjoy it!!
  • Reply 34 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Bloody noobs.

why because this is my first post?

you tell me what have i said wrong?

yea i know the white macbook comes with the superdrive (shouldnt ALL computers/laptops come with dvd writers nowadays???)

other than that........oh yea the trackpad!!

but as new technology comes out older tech should get cheaper not more expensive other than the dvdwriter and trackpad its the same old macbook which will no doubt suffer from screen flicker!!!

if they think im paying more for a dvdwriter and a fancy mouse pad they are mistaken!!!

if it was still £699 then people like me would of probably get it, but because its more expensive no way pedro
  • Reply 35 of 522
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Apple is pedaling the MacBook as just like the Pro, but smaller and $700 cheaper. But it doesn't have Firewire, or the option for a 7200RPM drive, so even with that extra graphics power the machine still isn't suitable for multimedia work. Not to mention they actually downgraded the processor. And the $999 plastic MacBook should sell for $799.

Coming from a 17" MacBook Pro, I thought a $1999 MacBook Pro with a high density display would do me well, but that's not an option. Then I thought a 13" MacBook paired to one of those new $799 Cinema Displays would be nice, but you can't put a 7200RPM drive in the MacBook (and it doesn't have firewire). Between the 5400RPM drive and the process downgrade, that's going to be a slow computer.
  • Reply 36 of 522
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomaspin View Post

This will rank as Apple's greatest marketing disaster since the Newton.

The world is on the verge of a new Depression so what does Apple do? Why, introduce a line of jewelry and increase the price 30-60%.

Add the insult of dropping Firewire - meaning many current MB users will be unable to upgrade without also upgrading their external drives - and you have a study in Marketing Arrogance 101.

On 8/4/08 in AI Comments I stated I expected AAPL to drop to $100 from $150 (to the usual round of offense, of course). I was wrong. Based on a rational PE applied to falling margins make that $70 - within 6 months.

They kept the old plastic MB for a reason - someone looked at the front page of the daily paper and said Ooops! And say what you may about the wonders of Nvidia's GPUs, 2.1 gHz (old MB) is faster than 2.0 gHz (for 30% more - new MB) in most buyers' eyes. That's marketing for you. GPUs do not sell bottom of the line notebooks- price does.

Disclosure: No AAPL position.

I'm a bit taken aback by the price points. One would think that given the economic conditions hammering the world economies that Apple would price these things a bit more competitively. Perhaps their marketing and segmentation says otherwise. Who knows! I know one thing for sure, several people I know have been holding out their purchase in anticipation for these new models but at lower price points.
  • Reply 37 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

What? The difference is actually more like $115. How are you getting that $350? I assume you're forgetting that the UK price includes 17.5% VAT and the US price does not include sales tax (which gets added on at check out).

I accept what your saying but it doesn't add up lets take the Mac Mini for example is $599.00. In the UK its £374.00 with a difference at todays conversion of £33.00 or $58.00 and that includes VAT.

This is a $350.00 con!
  • Reply 38 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post

How would one import video (particularly high def) without Firewire?

My last video camera and my current HD video camera (Sony HD SR11) uses USB 2.0 to import to a computer. Do they make FireWire video cameras anymore? Come to think of it, They haven't used firewire to tranfer to an iPod in like 500 years I think.
  • Reply 39 of 522
    john f.john f. Posts: 111member
    So it's true, the $1299 and $1599 MacBooks don't have any FireWire. That is a complete rip-off at that price-point. Many older Mac users who want to trade in their Apple notebook and who have FireWire peripherals won't be able to buy a cheap Mac notebook newer style. Also new-to-Mac persons who have older or recent DV and HDV camcorders won't be able to connect them to their new MacBooks. These people will have to buy an old style white MacBook, yesteryear's design, and no sturdy case design. Yes, DV and HDV are on its way out, but we're in the middle of a transition period. Many people and schools still have DV and HDV camera's, and you can still buy HDV camera's. Most can only be connected to the Mac using FireWire. And what if you buy a new-style MacBook and you get to work with a HDV camera on loan? You're out of luck then, it seems. Apologists would say that there's nothing wrong with Apple's decision, because they have kept the white MacBook. But for how long? You can twist it any way you want, I still think it's a rip-off.
  • Reply 40 of 522
    apple has really screwed the pooch on this one, i was planning on upgrading from my 2 yr old mac mini to a mb when i heard they would start at 899, now they are 999 and the next up is 300 bux more... no way. i can go to craiglist buy one for 700 bux and still get the same features at the entry lever for 300 bux less. It is a disappointment that in this time where money is tight and the economy sucks that apple would stay at the same price points