Apple unveils 24-inch LED Cinema Display

Comments

• Reply 41 of 184
    I never thought I'd see the day but I'm done with apple. I hate glass screens and if this is the only option they are going to give us then FUCK EM!
  • Reply 42 of 184
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oweneck View Post

I have just bought a new Samsung 24 inch screen this past week and although I know its not the same screen, it doesn't even have the same kind of panel behind it, it is the same size, the same supported resolutions, it is in matte which I prefer, it does have speakers but I'm sure that they're probably not as good of the quality and it doesn't have an iSight or a mic built in but it was only $350 (Canadian Dollars) and tax, I could buy 3 of these for the same price as one of the new Apple Cinema displays because I am guessing that it will cost $899, which would be somewhere between $1000 and $1200 Canadian Dollars and tax, which would probably cost about $1200 or about the same as a new regular Macbook or even a 20 inch iMac?

All Samsung monitors I've seen in the 23-24" size and $300-500 price range use a decidedly inferior quality LCD panel to Apple's, they use CFL backlighting instead of LED, and I believe that, if they contain any speakers at all, they contain just 1. And no iSight.

IMHO, this new Apple display is a great addition to the product line. And it is compatible with older systems through the use of an adapter.
  • Reply 43 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

What an odd decision to make this only work with the new laptops.

It also means it won't work with non-Apple PC. I already own a PC and don't want to change but also plan on buying a MB as a laptop. So I would need a monitor to hook on both of them. That's a no-go for Apple, I will have to look at HP or the like...
  • Reply 44 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

I never thought I'd see the day but I'm done with apple. I hate glass screens and if this is the only option they are going to give us then FUCK EM!

For a guy with only 73 posts, I can only assume you were never a fanboy anyway.
  • Reply 45 of 184
    Despite the complaints, I think this display will get those considering a Macbook Pro to think twice. You can get a well featured Macbook with a matching 24 inch display for the just a bit more money and that's an attractive offer when you're in the shop and ready buy.

The real value of this display will show when they update the Pro and the mini. Some will argue that you can just get a cheaper display somewhere else and that's true. I have a 22 inch Samsung right in front of me. However, I would imagine most computer illiterate consumers go to Apple to buy "the complete package". They don't want to sift through Dell's various ranges of DVI/HDMI/Mini Display monitors, even if they are half the price. Those terms mean nothing to them.
  • Reply 47 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Still there.

http://www.apple.com/displays/cinema/

The page is still there, but it is not on the "Mac" page which you scroll horizontally. Only the new display is.
  • Reply 48 of 184
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oweneck View Post

And it is compatible with older systems through the use of an adapter.

How do you know that? The information on DisplayPort that I see seems to suggest DVI compatibility is optional, and Apple's spec page doesn't mention DVI compatibility, it would seem like an odd omission. If I wanted one, I wouldn't order it until compatibility has been confirmed.
  • Reply 49 of 184
    The store was up for a while and I did see displayport > DVI adapters, so I'd assume they'll offer a whole suite of adapters for us previous-gen mbp owners.
  • Reply 50 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How do you know that? The information on DisplayPort that I see seems to suggest DVI compatibility is optional, and Apple's spec page doesn't mention DVI compatibility, it would seem like an odd omission. If I wanted one, I wouldn't order it until compatibility has been confirmed.

It wasn't me that said that but I saw the mistake that you did :P. I do however agree with you though.
  • Reply 51 of 184
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post

The page is still there, but it is not on the "Mac" page which you scroll horizontally. Only the new display is.

On the new Cinema Display Homepage
  • Reply 52 of 184
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Folks let's clear some things up.

This is a IPS panel which means it will not have the nasty colorshift of TN panels. When you see a 24" for $300 it's a TN panel folks. You wouldn't want to do graphics on it.

DisplayPort- I'm a big fan of DP. It's license is free..it supports VGA/DVI/HDMI through adapters and it also supports an auxilliary channel (which is likely how Apple is running the audio or perhaps the video as well. Because of DP's design you can make the LCD thinner because it doesn't need to have a bulky TMDS receiver in the monitore. They call this Direct Drive I believe.

http://www.displayport.org/

Futute DP technologies will include hooking up multiple monitors with one cable (and obviously multiple DP connectors) and the aux channel will get faster.

No you will NOT see an adapter that takes your DVI signal and easily convert it to DP. DP uses a Micro Packet system that is wholly different than TMDS signaling. I'm not saying you won't see an adapter but if you do it'll be expensive.

This monitor is typical Apple. It's affordable and flexible with top notch materials but it's expensive compared to the market in general. It's not expensive if you compare its peers (other IPS LED based monitors)

I'd love for someone to create a 3rd party hood for it. Glossy screens are not as bad as some people make them out to be. Pro graphics monitors have always needed hoods to reduce the effects of relections and the color of the walls and the graphic artists clothes (they usually wear black) from affecting the perception of color on screen.

The addition of speakers and isight to me make sense. I need to be able to run a laptop closed yet still have access to better speakers and iSight. I think you're going to see some really clean looking setups with this monitor and Macbooks.
  • Reply 53 of 184
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    So, does anyone have any issues with Apple's new Cinema Display "docking station"? I think it's pretty ingenious from a business perspective.
  • Reply 54 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by L255J View Post

That sounds like a given.

I imagine, someone will justify cannibalizing the Mac Pro from having DVI-I and say ``we needed the space.''
  • Reply 55 of 184
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The addition of speakers and isight to me make sense. I need to be able to run a laptop closed yet still have access to better speakers and iSight. I think you're going to see some really clean looking setups with this monitor and Macbooks.

The speakers, iSight and Mic have made sense since they took the FW iSight camera off the market 50 years ago. I hope the quality of the speakers, mic, and, especially, the iSight camera, are top notch.

As for clean looking setups. I BT keyboard and mouse with your MB or MBP connected off to the side with a 24" ACD will look nice. Since this is an IPS display, does anyone have an idea when a larger display will come available?
  • Reply 56 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Folks let's clear some things up.

This is a IPS panel which means it will not have the nasty colorshift of TN panels. When you see a 24" for $300 it's a TN panel folks. You wouldn't want to do graphics on it.

DisplayPort- I'm a big fan of DP. It's license is free..it supports VGA/DVI/HDMI through adapters and it also supports an auxilliary channel (which is likely how Apple is running the audio or perhaps the video as well. Because of DP's design you can make the LCD thinner because it doesn't need to have a bulky TMDS receiver in the monitore. They call this Direct Drive I believe.

http://www.displayport.org/

Futute DP technologies will include hooking up multiple monitors with one cable (and obviously multiple DP connectors) and the aux channel will get faster.

No you will NOT see an adapter that takes your DVI signal and easily convert it to DP. DP uses a Micro Packet system that is wholly different than TMDS signaling. I'm not saying you won't see an adapter but if you do it'll be expensive.

This monitor is typical Apple. It's affordable and flexible with top notch materials but it's expensive compared to the market in general. It's not expensive if you compare its peers (other IPS LED based monitors)

I'd love for someone to create a 3rd party hood for it. Glossy screens are not as bad as some people make them out to be. Pro graphics monitors have always needed hoods to reduce the effects of relections and the color of the walls and the graphic artists clothes (they usually wear black) from affecting the perception of color on screen.

There is no guarantee it's an H-IPS panel. It's most likely an S-PVA panel.

http://www.samsung.com/us/business/s...?news_id=817.0

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Quote:

Samsung 24-inch LED-Backlit LCD TV Main Specifications

Display size \t

24”

Resolution \t

WUXGA (1,920 x 1,200)

Liquid crystal mode \t

S-PVA

Viewing angle \t

180° left, right, top, and bottom

Brightness \t

250 nits

Color saturation \t

111%

Contrast \t

1,000:1

• Reply 57 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The speakers, iSight and Mic have made sense since they took the FW iSight camera off the market 50 years ago. I hope the quality of the speakers, mic, and, especially, the iSight camera, are top notch.

As for clean looking setups. I BT keyboard and mouse with your MB or MBP connected off to the side with a 24" ACD will look nice. Since this is an IPS display, does anyone have an idea when a larger display will come available?

Let's face it. Someone thought they could kill two birds with one stone on this design, by making the displays nearly identical to the iMac 24" in dimensions, thus the Camera and the speakers are the same.

I personally don't need speakers in my monitor, but for some damn reason the IT Industry thinks they know better and we must have them.

This wreaks of making the All-in-One Video/Audio IM chatting being so important to people.

That died for me ten years ago.
  • Reply 57 of 184
    I guess adding more ports for "the rest of us" would have been too expensive????

NO, we want to buy adapters

NO, we don't want to plug in our playstation 3 (HDMI)

And YES, we love glass-glare-surfaces at home. Fantastic.

Apple also says good-by to all professional users.

Good job, Mr. Jobs
  • Reply 59 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zauner View Post

I guess adding more ports for "the rest of us" would have been too expensive????

NO, we want to buy adapters

NO, we don't want to plug in our playstation 3 (HDMI)

And YES, we love glass-glare-surfaces at home. Fantastic.

Apple says good-by to all professional users.

Having to buy these adaptors is a hidden toll fee and completely typical of Apple. I admire Steve but in this case he's f'n wrong. He was wrong with the Cube and he's wrong with this crap.
  • Reply 60 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Having to buy these adaptors is a hidden toll fee and completely typical of Apple. I admire Steve but in this case he's f'n wrong. He was wrong with the Cube and he's wrong with this crap.

Right, I'm always willing to pay an Apple premium price - so far design made for outstanding and diverse function. These products seem to be one step too far. Especially as there was the chance to introduce cool, competitively priced notebooks. I'm really really disappointed.