Apple announces new 13-inch MacBook

Comments

• Reply 81 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

Yeah, but in the past the pound was worth more dollars than it is today. The dollar-pound rate changes, you can't expect Apple to change their prices daily to always match the current exchange rate.

I think a margin of fairness is needed. I guess the worrying thing for this long time mac user is that despite being a fan-boy to a certain extreme i see more and more examples of Apple doing what it thinks is best.....for Apple....or Microfruit.

These product releases are ill suited to these times, I guess i feel like a bit like the goalposts have shifted too far away from my consumer wants and moved more towards Apple's spooning dictat.

It's like VW announcing a new everyman car , which is doubtlessly engineered to perfection but still costs $30,000 oh and unlike the previous model has a no drive-by-fire-wire. But thats ok cause they'll still sell you last years model oh and thats gone up by $50.00.

I think that the backlash on this one will be felt at one infinite loop. I'll now park my card back in wallet and await REVB.
  • Reply 82 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Yeah, with no Firewire the 13" MacBook is seriously hobbled.

There's just no good reason for this except to drive people to the MacBook Pro. Insane.
  • Reply 83 of 522
    What surprises me, my friends and my professor is the fact that Apple dropped FireWire-400 off the new Macbooks.

Why would they remove such an important interface? Just when other laptop makers are adding IEEE-1394, Apple is taking it out? Does that even make sense? At least give us 4 USB 2.0 like other manufacturers then...

However, I do praise the new DDR3 and NVIDIA graphics chip because the Intel option was abysmal at best.

deltatux
  • Reply 84 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnoh2 View Post

Since the entry $999 Macbook is likely aimed at college students it will really cost $899 because of the education discount.

Nope.

The $999 MacBook only gets a $50 discount so it is still $949.
  • Reply 85 of 522
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Yeah people will swallow it and all will be fine, but listen to Ive talking in the video about how he managed to pull every 'non-essential' feature from the MacBook. They seem to be trying to make another Air so the next time they'll remove the ethernet connection and tell everyone to buy Airport Express.

Also I'm kinda worried about how Ive says he doesn't know how a notebook could be even more minimalist/essential whatever. Obviously, the rumored Mac[Book] Touch comes to mind. Does that mean no such thing is in the works? That would be pretty disappointing news.
  • Reply 86 of 522
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

The rumors say they'll introduce a $799 or $899 MacBook and they go and RAISE prices?? In this economy??

No wonder the stock is getting hammered. I should have sold yesterday.

To be fair they did actually drop the price of the MacBook to $999 from $1099 and included a Superdrive as standard (about time, it was embarrassing to still have combo-drives in the low end laptops). So in actual fact, MacBooks got cheaper today.
  • Reply 87 of 522
    Quote:

FYI: Backlit keys are still a "Pro" feature only. EDIT: OK, so now the store is up it appears I'm wrong, sorry. It doesn't list backlit keyboard on the Tech Specs page, but does on the Apple store when you try to purchase one.

Nope, you only get the backlit keyboard if you cough up for the $1599 version.

"An illuminated keyboard, a popular feature of MacBook Pro and MacBook Air,now comes standard on the 2.4GHz MacBook model."

http://www.apple.com/macbook/features.html
  • Reply 88 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

The rumors say they'll introduce a $799 or $899 MacBook and they go and RAISE prices?? In this economy??

No wonder the stock is getting hammered. I should have sold yesterday.

You should never take rumors as fact. The economic crisis that we're in now did not exist a year ago when these models were being designed. Bad timing? Maybe. Crazy? No. The next time around, the $999 Macbook will be of the new design and the price points will end up being lower anyway.

I am a bit saddened about the lack of firewire (casualty of putting all the ports on the left), but not enough to refuse to buy it. A 15 inch macbook model would make more sense than the 13 inch $1599 model though. Something needs to bridge the huge gap between the consumer and pro laptop lines. Oh, and Apple could have inexpensively bumped the RAM in the entry Macbook model to 2GB.
  • Reply 89 of 522
    Quote:

Yeah, but in the past the pound was worth more dollars than it is today. The dollar-pound rate changes, you can't expect Apple to change their prices daily to always match the current exchange rate.

Are you kidding? The dollar has plummeted against the pound in the last few months.

Apple might have been planning to make hay while the sun shines out of UK customers, but the differential's a joke.
  • Reply 90 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

AAPL was down by as much as 7.05 right after the event. That's more than a 6% drop, not a 'couple of percent'. And the market as a whole was not down by nearly that much at the time.

AAPL had already been down a couple percent before the event started, and the dow started dropping at the exact same time as AAPL - apple did only drop a couple percent more than the dow did during that time.

Quote:

To be fair they did actually drop the price of the MacBook to $999 from $1099 and included a Superdrive as standard (about time, it was embarrassing to still have combo-drives in the low end laptops). So in actual fact, MacBooks got cheaper today.

For a model that's a year out of date, that's not cheap enough. Too little, too late. The new price on the white model doesn't seem much different than refurb pricing on old models, I don't really see that as much of a price drop.
  • Reply 91 of 522
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    No FireWire, no sale. What a mistake. When you go on vacation, you take your laptop. You also take your MiniDV camera too. Now with the new MacBook, you cannot import video while on vacation. Why waste money on two USB ports? There should have been one USB, one FireWire. If you want more devices, buy a damn hub!

They always find ways to cut features that people still use! They learned their mistake when they cut the Audio In years ago, and that returned in a later model. So maybe Apple will realize their mistake once again.
  • Reply 92 of 522
    I have heard that aluminum shortens the range of wifi, but the wifi antenna is is not surrounded by aluminum on these MacBooks, they have glass on one side and aluminum on the other. Any thoughts on what this will do for the range? If it raises it significantly that may be one reason for the glass on these and on the iMac.

And the glass looks nice
  • Reply 93 of 522
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There's just no good reason for this except to drive people to the MacBook Pro. Insane.

Or to drive people away from the platform altogether.

As someone else here already pointed out, nearly all of the other notebook manufacturers are including FireWire as standard on their new models. Apple , in their infinite wisdom, takes it out! Utterly insane!

Apple R&D has F****d up big time with this and Jobs is a fool to let this happen. Something like omitting a FireWire port costing a couple of bucks is gonna cost Apple dearly in sales. I had been geared up to buy a new MacBook but now I will certainly pass on this ornamental piece of crap. Too expensive to go the Pro option. Man, this sucks!
  • Reply 94 of 522
    Does anyone know if you can buy a 320 GB HD from toshiba for $75.00 and just install it yourself instead of spending $200.00 for it through the apple store?
  • Reply 95 of 522
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    I can't wait to get one

• Reply 96 of 522
    Anyone care to explain how the price of the bottom end macbook just went UP $100 dollars in Canadian retailers (WITH education discount)?

I was $1050, and now it is $1150 with a super drive.

So we are paying an extra $100 dollars for a super drive, when that combo drive should have been dead years ago, and probably cost them MORE than the super drive (which they put it in just to differentiate products and scam us out of more money). So basically Apple is proving themselves to be a sneaky scamming poor company.
  • Reply 97 of 522
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thesmoth View Post

Anyone care to explain how the price of the bottom end macbook just went UP $100 dollars in Canadian retailers (WITH education discount)?

So we are paying an extra $100 dollars for a super drive, when that combo drive should have been dead years ago, and probably cost them MORE than the super drive (which they put it in just to differentiate products and scam us out of more money). So basically Apple is proving themselves to be a sneaky scamming poor company.

Figures apple would raise the price

• Reply 98 of 522
    Here's why they don't want to come down in price...it's all their R&D. For instance this directly from the MacBook "Design" page #2:

"There?s a story behind each part. Take the thumbscoop, for example. It?s the indentation that allows you to open the display. If the scoop is too deep, you put too much pressure on the display to open it. If it?s too shallow, you struggle to open the display. It may seem incidental, but if the thumbscoop is well designed, it makes the difference between a bad experience and a good one. The challenge of the thumbscoop was to create a crisply machined scoop that was still comfortable to use. The designers at Apple worked on hundreds of versions of the thumbscoop ? even examining them under an electron microscope ? to get it right."
  • Reply 99 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thesmoth View Post

Because the value of the Canadian dollar went DOWN?

US$1=CAN$0.85 as of 4:26 EDT on xe.com

Wasn't your monopoly money worth more than the dollar a couple of months ago? Now translate that difference to something like a MacBook. A $100 increase is fair.
  • Reply 100 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post

Because the value of the Canadian dollar went DOWN?

US$1=CAN$0.85 as of 4:26 EDT on xe.com

Wasn't your monopoly money worth more than the dollar a couple of months ago? Now translate that difference to something like a MacBook. A $100 increase is fair.

The prices of Macbooks never went DOWN when our money was worth more, so why is it going up now? Let me guess, you're a brain-dead mac fanboy right?

Thanks for the economics lesson.