Apple releases new 15" MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 161 of 383
    Good update with a disappointing graphics card, but i already suspected this would happen.

I was really hoping for a more "pro" level card with this update. One of the 9800Ms combined with the 9400 would be the ideal combination for me.
  • Reply 162 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Well to be honest, I'm not trying to get studio level quality photography, I'm just giving a general usage comparison of a matter and glossy screen.

You're right, the flash isn't any sort of indication of real world usage since few people work with xenon flashes going off behind them constantly. Mind, it was you who raised the point about the original photo showing the glossy screen not reflecting the flash at all, which I was simply correcting since it does.

They're both as unusable as each other in this scenario anyway.

Here are both screens at their usable desk position/height. That's the ceiling light you can see in the laptop very clearly!

Why on an Apple forum would you show a POS Dell monitor..
  • Reply 163 of 383
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lictor View Post

Yes, because your brain is working at erasing that background... As for myself, I would rather have my brain focussing on the work at hand rather than doing real-time reality editing...

Your brain isn't "working" on it. You just don't notice it.

That reminds me of older microscopes. without binocular heads, you need to use one eye. You must keep both eyes open. Once you do that, it's much easier. Your eye that isn't looking into the ocular blanks itself out after a short while, and you only see what you want to see in the ocular. It isn't more work for your brain. Only id you keep thinking about it.

It seems to me that that's one of the problems. Some people keep thinking about the possible reflections, and look for them, even if they don't realize it. I can see that becoming very tedious after a while.
  • Reply 164 of 383
    Quote:

Yeah I'm never gonna be able to get it perfect, but this is as close as I can get to that. The back of the laptop screen is completely flat against the face of the monitor, so they are both at exactly the same angle.

To me the more diffused light reflection of the matte screen is a better solution than the less diffused but perfect reflection of the glossy. It is *much* easier to notice the background distractions in the glossy screen than in the matte.

At least use apple computers to show what you are bitching about..
  • Reply 165 of 383
    Having bought an SE/30 just months before it was overtaken by Classics and falling for a Powerbook after a display upgrade, only to see it made totally redundant by the first MBP a few months later, I am *delighted* by the new MBP.... because I bought a matte MBP in March and can now happily sit back and wait for the next release with:

- new processors

- matte display option

- eSATA

- BluRay

- longer battery life

- touch display(???)

Thank you Steve Jobs!

For everyone else: check out refurb prices!!
  • Reply 166 of 383
    Quote:

Trouble with that is to get the glossy screen to an angle where it doesn't reflect the light means putting it at a totally unsuable angle and/or contorting my sitting position to fit in with it, which is far from ideal if you are sitting for extended periods.

It was simply the angle the photo was taken at that meant the glossy screen has no flash reflection.

What the glossy screen gives you is a more focussed reflection of any light source, but also reflects a lot more than the matte screen to begin with.

They're actually both at about the same angle with the notebook held up in front of the TFT to take its photo.

I agree and even on a matt screen you see the Flash...

PS i love the glossy makes my photos pop...
  • Reply 167 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sigs21 View Post

At least use apple computers to show what you are bitching about..

Why do I need to do that? A matte screen is a matte screen, a glossy screen is a glossy screen. Plus I don't own any Apple computers
  • Reply 168 of 383
    I for one am excited. the question I have is how much difference is the 512mb or 256mb in the grafix card. i dont play games

I will use this primarily for intense music production and playing out live.

is there any other difference between the entry level macbook and macbook pro i should consider..
  • Reply 169 of 383
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Recycling isn't the expensive part here, aluminum is very cheap to recycle, and very easily gathered. The issues are the amount of machining needed, man-hours, tools, very high production costs.

Is there any chance Apple have actually come up with a secret way to do this that isn't as time consuming or expensive but are deliberately using videos in their marketing showing the traditional methods?
  • Reply 170 of 383
    When the removed the word Computer from their name they meant it didn't they?

Apple are just an expensive toy company now, don't get me wrong great for Apple, probably the most profitable market for them. Professional users are probably too much trouble and cost too much money to retain as customers, Apple do not seem to need them.

Everyone thought the ability to run Windows on an Apple Machine was to help people switch to OSX, actually I would bet it was to assist pro's move away from OSX and to Windows.

I have waited this long to replace my dead Mac Mini that served as a Media Center under my TV, I have no finally given up waiting and will be buying one the new DELL mini's with Blu-Ray today. This will now start to see the move away from OSX to windows on everything else. I have been running vista in my MBP for a while now.

The end of my 3 year Apple experiment.
  • Reply 171 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskimage View Post

I don't think they are using a water/slurry technique. Based on the video on the MacBook page on apple's site it looks like they are just using a milling machine. That white watery liquid is just the cutting lubricant for the milling bit.

Yes, I just looked at the video. The still photos, looked like a water/slurry technology.

I'm glad this is the case, as the water/slurry method is not a very good one from an environmental standpoint, even though it allows for much higher precision on difficult to machine parts.
  • Reply 172 of 383
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,333moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

I rue the day that I decided to buy Apple stock.

Yeah, it's dropping like a...

brick <- I think I figured out what it was after all.

Down $6 in the space of a few hours. Not looking good. Below 100 tomorrow I reckon.

The problems I see here are that Apple has not made a safe move. Making the whole lineup matte, nobody would care one bit. Nobody would argue that there shouldn't be a matte-only display.

No firewire in the Macbook - what are they thinking? Nearly every imovie user will have a firewire camcorder. They not only have to buy a new laptop but a new camcorder. They have no choice but to go for the old white one.

Higher pricing. As stupid as some people are, Jobs standing on stage talking about better value does nothing. In store, people check the price tags and they've gone up or they are the same. Therefore no sale.

The hardware spec has improved but this is another point where Apple are missing some marbles. The glossy displays, no firewire etc are all consumer things. Exact spec has no bearing here. Most won't even know what an Nvidia chip is so spec improvements won't increase sales.
  • Reply 173 of 383
    Quote:

Yeah I'm never gonna be able to get it perfect, but this is as close as I can get to that. The back of the laptop screen is completely flat against the face of the monitor, so they are both at exactly the same angle.

To me the more diffused light reflection of the matte screen is a better solution than the less diffused but perfect reflection of the glossy. It is *much* easier to notice the background distractions in the glossy screen than in the matte.

Much better. i'll make o pro of you yet.

And, you can adjust the screen down just a few degrees, which will eliminate most of, or all of the reflection without being a problem in viewing.

You do see where the blacks are better, and not washed out like over all of the matte screen.
  • Reply 174 of 383
    Enough of the reposting of these images please!!! lol
  • Reply 175 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Being the professional that you are, would you not agree that the new Macbooks are better than the eight year old Sony tower PC, that you are using now?

Of course I would agree with that. So what has that got to do with anything? Surely you do not mean to suggest that that alone is a rationale for replacing this PC specifically with an Apple PC do you?
  • Reply 176 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Is there any chance Apple have actually come up with a secret way to do this that isn't as time consuming or expensive but are deliberately using videos in their marketing showing the traditional methods?

No. They seem to be using standard CNC machines methods.

Actually, it isn't Apple. They have another company that is expert in doing this manufacture the parts for them.

Their innovation in so far as laptops go, is to do it this way at all.

I have a small CNC mill in my shop in my basement. It's very common these days..

Look up CNC milling, or CNC lathes, CNC machining centers, or just CNC machining.
  • Reply 177 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

MB does not have an express card slot... what now

I sold my older 17" just yesterday in hopes of a new 17". I guess I'll go refurb for now!

You are correct. I was looking at the new MBP specs when I wrote the message. My bad.

Indeed, you are stuck. If you really don't like the glossy screen, then you don't have much of choice but go for the current MBP 15"/17" model. On the bright side they're cheaper now, especially if you go for a refurbished one.

-YipYipYipee
  • Reply 178 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No. They seem to be using standard CNC machines methods.

Actually, it isn't Apple. They have another company that is expert in doing this manufacture the parts for them.

Their innovation in so far as laptops go, is to do it this way at all.

I have a small CNC mill in my shop in my basement. It's very common these days..

Look up CNC milling, or CNC lathes, CNC machining centers, or just CNC machining.

I aware of all of the above and I am aware the videos show that. That wasn't my question.
  • Reply 179 of 383
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sigs21 View Post

Why on an Apple forum would you show a POS Dell monitor..

What are you, twelve years old?

• Reply 180 of 383
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Again, have you heard of calibrating your monitor?

<snip>

Glossy monitors calibrate better than do matte models.

I'm curious what spectrophotometer and software you use to calibrate the glossy monitors.