Apple introduces new iMacs with more affordable pricing

Comments

• Reply 61 of 322
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    9400M is it integrated graphics? any one can confirm?

is it good enough to play games or even drive 24" monster?
  • Reply 62 of 322
    dyingsundyingsun Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

the update would have been okay if they included LED displays.

I am hoping Apple fixed the gradient displays or backlighting issues.... if not they are a joke.

That's exactly the point! I'm not complaining about anything else (and everything else about this update seems pretty fine to me), but the fact remains that the only thing bad about current (previous) iMacs is the display quality. I wouldn't find any other reason to upgrade, other than that. As others mentioned above, top of the line specs are rather useless for most users - my current iMac flies in every task I put it through... I just hate the display!
  • Reply 63 of 322
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

Let's put the intangible value of OS X off the table. Let's just look at straight up hardware. Can somebody please configure a comparable machine from Dell, HP, or whoever?

The US prices for iMacs are decent, but not the price for the single Quad Mac Pro. Dell's high-end XPS offers equal or better performance in all fields for $1900, and the XPS Studio offers equal performance in everything but graphics for $1100.
  • Reply 64 of 322
    You can get a Dell XPS One 24" for $1599 with includes an Intel QUAD core processor and 4GB of ram.

But also alot of you don't get the point in that with HP or Acer or Lenevo or Dell people have the choice of paying $800 or less for new Quad Core headless desktops. Sure the Mini is cute and small but alot of people just want the best bang (Quad Core or i7) for the money. And headless is the way to go.
  • Reply 65 of 322
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

9400M is it integrated graphics? any one can confirm?

is it good enough to play games or even drive 24" monster?

It is integrated. I played COD4 with 256MB just fine, of course the settings weren't up but i didn't have a lot of slow down.
  • Reply 66 of 322
    So then, now that we're all disappointed.

When is the real update coming?
  • Reply 67 of 322
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DyingSun View Post

So, there you have it... same old display technology... horrendous 20'' TN LCD with narrow viewing angles and brightness gradient and sort of average 24'' LCD with a few problems of its own as well... why on earth didn't they upgrade the displays to LED, like on every other recent Apple product?! It doesn't make any sense...

Definitely an upgrade to ignore... something better will come.

Agreed.
  • Reply 68 of 322
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anonymous.Shyster View Post

So then, now that we're all disappointed.

When is the real update coming?

March 24th!
  • Reply 69 of 322
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

Let's put the intangible value of OS X off the table. Can somebody please configure a comparable machine from Dell

Apple iMac $1500

24 inch

2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 6MB shared L2 cache

4GB memory, 1066MHz DDR3 (max of 8GB)

640GB hard drive (7200 rpm)

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

Dell XPS One $1600 (after instant discount)

XPS One™ with 24-inch widescreen display

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz 4MB L2 Cache

4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800Mhz - 2 DIMMs

Integrated Intel® GMA X4500HD Graphics

320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM)

8-in-1 Media Reader Included

Apple iMac $1800

24 inch

2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 6MB shared L2 cache

640GB hard drive (7200 rpm)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 256MB memory

Dell XPS One $1900 (after instant discount)

XPS One™ with 24-inch widescreen display

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz 4MB L2 Cache

4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800Mhz - 2 DIMMs

512MB NVIDIA GeForce® 9600M GT

750GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM)

8-in-1 Media Reader Included

Apple iMac $2200

24 inch

3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 6MB shared L2 cache

1000GB hard drive (7200 rpm)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 with 512MB memory
  • Reply 70 of 322
    plokoonpmaplokoonpma Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anonymous.Shyster View Post

All in one desktops? Didn't know they existed, but then again, I don't know PC's.

I see a Dell with an i7 processor and a 24" display (tower) for $2000AU. I guess that's about what the new powermacs are, without a display for about $4500AU +

You want to compare, go ahead, I'm all ears....

What u think the processors of the new Mac Pro are? Go google Nehalen or the Wikipedia.

Lets see.. the Dell you mentioned.

Does it have dual quadcores? -----> probably not

How much ram supports? NO regular windows support more than 3.26 GB of ram Mac Pro = 32

The Case of it is made of Premium Grade anodized aluminum?

Your Dell will cost 2k after you close the call? REALLY after 15 - 30 minutes with a sales rep that only wants to score upsales? Really?

hehe
  • Reply 71 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Agreed.

Agreed x2.

So is there any advantage of paying the extra money for this new 'update'? Or would one be wise to buy an old stock iMac at a reduced price or a refurbished one? Are the improvements actually worth the extra $$$?
  • Reply 72 of 322
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member
    Hmmmmm.....a 'Lack-Luster' update that took FOREVER to come out.

Is it me, or am I the only one that really can't justify the cost of a mini ... is it the form factor that entices anyone? I think it was a cool form factor when it first came out, but, based on pricing alone, is a tough sell (to me anyways).

I'm glad they worked on their pricing strategy as at today's exchange rate, that $1199 computer should cost $1,545.51 in Canada, instead of the $1399 they're charging. Even at that ....there's a lot of hardware out there, expecially with a SALE that Apple NEVER has ... that people in this 'Recession THingy' that we're having that won't plop that money down.

Over the last few years I always said that when Apple updated the iMac, the features/price point was VERY comparable to the competition. I can't say that today and that I think is a big thing. That with the Recession, people will buy the 'More bang for their buck' and Operating System, etc. won't be as big of a criteria.

Unless they come out with 'NEW' hardware and a wow iPhone update ... I'd say sales overall are gonna be flat (even without the big 'R') .... so what's coming out on the 24th then?
  • Reply 73 of 322
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

Cheapest iMac is up £50 in the UK. The cheapest Mac Mini is up £100! Damn this currency!

Up $80 here in Canada for the low end mini, and the high end one went up $150. There goes my son's chance of buying one any time soon.

The "low end" 24" iMac will run you $2,000 taxes in here. Yikes.

Still, Apple user since the late 1970s so I'm happy as hell with my new 13" MacBook.
  • Reply 74 of 322
    macmadmacmad Posts: 62member
    It seems that it's the Gamers who have such a problem with the chips and speeds... errr... so go buy a WII or a PlayStation.
  • Reply 75 of 322
    fezzasusfezzasus Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

Seems decent, but is the 9400M a good enough chip for a $1200 machine? I'm asking.

It is when the user doesn't want a computer with 3D graphics capabilities.
  • Reply 76 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

What u think the processors of the new Mac Pro are? Go google Nehalen or the Wikipedia.

Lets see.. the Dell you mentioned.

Does it have dual quadcores? -----> probably not

How much ram supports? NO regular windows support more than 3.26 GB of ram Mac Pro = 32

The Case of it is made of Premium Grade anodized aluminum?

Your Dell will cost 2k after you close the call? REALLY after 15 - 30 minutes with a sales rep that only wants to score upsales? Really?

hehe

For the record, I was only joking about getting a Dell. I know one should never joke about such things, as sometimes they do happen

Yes, the mac pro would be better, but the dell does have better specs than the imac for cheaper is the issue. I will probably still be getting a new mac, I'm just bummed, I'm entitled to that.

Can't say I didn't toy with the idea of a hackintosh though...
  • Reply 77 of 322
    breezebreeze Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

NO JOBS = NO APPLES!

WHAT A HORRIBLE UPDATE!

NO LED? NO BLU RAY? WHAT IS APPLE DOING?

the price of 2199$ US is 2599$ CDN LOL

NO THANKS!

Ps The exchange rate difference is not 40%

APPLE WANTS TO HOSE CUSTOMERS!

I'd pay a 10 to 15% difference not 40% for these specs.

You'd pay a 10 to 15% for a "HORRIBLE UPDATE" ??? Yeah right..., you really know what you're talking

(or having a temper tantrum) about...
  • Reply 78 of 322
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

The US prices for iMacs are decent, but not the price for the single Quad Mac Pro. Dell's high-end XPS offers equal or better performance in all fields for $1900, and the XPS Studio offers equal performance in everything but graphics for $1100.

However, the Dell is a poorly made computer compared to the Mac Pro. So stop comparing the two. If you want a cheap computer, buy the Dell.
  • Reply 79 of 322
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,467member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

You are such hypocrite, got get your AMD based clone and deal with vista, xp or hackingtosh.

LMAO, genuine Apple lover.... hahaha

This comments get better and better, this is sometimes like Star Wars Fans that only think the first 3 movies (originals) are the real thing.. and hammered George Lucas cause he made the prequels.

At the end he does as Apple what he/they think is they want.

Get over it!

Every corporation in the world would love to have customers such as yourself, they would never be able to do anything wrong!
  • Reply 80 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacMad View Post

It seems that it's the Gamers who have such a problem with the chips and speeds... errr... so go buy a WII or a PlayStation.

What a JOKE... a Wii, Xbox 360, or PlayStation can't match up to a Quad Core with ATI 4850. You can get so much better performance out of a good PC or Mac.

The Wii has similar specs probably to the AppleTV or the old Celeron based Xbox.

The Xbox 360 has 3 fairly limited cores and quite an older GPU. The total RAM of the system is only 512MB.

The PS3 which is theoretically the best still has a older GPU that is WORSE than the Xbox 360. Still limited to a total of 512RAM. The Cell Processor has yet to be conquered or proven that it has all this almighty power. Games still generally perform as good if not better on the Xbox 360.

So yes I will be buying a custom built quad core with ATI 4850 or 4870. If Apple had released a quad core I would have seriously considered it even though it probably would have cost alot more than what I plan on spending on my custom build.