Apple introduces compact wired keyboard with new iMacs

Comments

• Reply 61 of 163
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

If the models at Bestbuy display this abridged keyboard I wonder how sales will be affected by business students, accountants, and financial people in general?

My guess would be that the relatively small group of people in those categories who are considering an iMac would just buy it elsewhere with the full size option.
  • Reply 62 of 163
    I'll buy one of these. I already bought the bluetooth keyboard for my iMac because I like to keep my desktop free and my mouse close at hand. I very seldom need or want a numeric keypad.

Now I wish Apple would fix the so-called mighty mouse, and replace its glitchy track ball with some reliable, touch-sensitive device. I much prefer the Logitech VX Revolution.
  • Reply 63 of 163
    jawportajawporta Posts: 140member
    What the hell? I have to say for the first time in 10 years I pretty much hate all of Apple's computers. I despise the glass screens, hate the new keyboard and they found a way to make them even worse by leaving out the numbers key. I wouldn't buy that crappy iMac anyway, but if people need a numeric keyboard they'll have to order them online, the same going with the 17" matte display. What is Apple doing, trying to keep some people out of their retail stores?
  • Reply 64 of 163
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I love all the people on here making excuses for Apple's flub. A numbered keyboard should be included as the default- end of story. That's an industry standard for a desktop.
  • Reply 65 of 163
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Pecking at numbers at the top of your keyboard is just not more efficient than a numbered keyboard.

Very few uses require only inputing numbers, and as soon as you have to add any characters or more 'complex' mathematical characters (like parentheses) you have use the main keyboard area anyway and switching back and forth between the main block and the number block is certainly not efficient.

This naturally all assumes touch-typing since touch-typing is definitely more efficient than type-by-view.
  • Reply 66 of 163
    Quote:

I love all the people on here making excuses for Apple's flub. A numbered keyboard should be included as the default- end of story. That's an industry standard.

Duh, and a numbered keyboard is included, Apple just gives you the choice between one without and one with a number block. But why let reality interfere with your sense of superiority.
  • Reply 67 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

make them even worse by leaving out the numbers key.

I am going to repeat it as often as necessary, Apple gives you a choice. If Apple gives no options, it is criticised for it, if it gives options, it is criticised for offering 'useless' options (useless to the person doing the criticising apparently means useless for everybody).
  • Reply 68 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isidore View Post

The real world is based on numbers.

And do you realise that any smart person that has to deal with larger amounts of numbers, writes code to process the numbers instead of typing them in? And writing code requires a lot of characters beyond numbers, which most of the time your hands will be on the main part of the keyboard.
  • Reply 69 of 163
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macfabulous View Post

STOP THE WHINING ALREADY!!!!

If only they would.

As I have told every one of my students and clients, when it comes to selecting a keyboard or mouse, it is like buying gloves or mitts. Don't expect to find one store/manufacturer that can satisfy everybody. Don't expect the one your best friend uses is best for you. Don't expect that the one the company buys is the best choice for you to play games at home.

Cripes, it is like in pro baseball. I'll bet there are not two of the same gloves on the same team. And I'll even bet, that their golf gloves are different too.
  • Reply 70 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

I am going to repeat it as often as necessary, Apple gives you a choice. If Apple gives no options, it is criticised for it, if it gives options, it is criticised for offering 'useless' options (useless to the person doing the criticising apparently means useless for everybody).

You're totally delusional. The whole world that's has been receiving standard number blocked keyboards is wrong- and you're right.
  • Reply 71 of 163
    Quote:

And do you realise that any smart person that has to deal with larger amounts of numbers, writes code to process the numbers instead of typing them in? And writing code requires a lot of characters beyond numbers, which most of the time your hands will be on the main part of the keyboard.

Have you ever written a spreadsheet?? Obviously not- to have written such an asinine post.
  • Reply 72 of 163
    Quote:

Very few uses require only inputing numbers, and as soon as you have to add any characters or more 'complex' mathematical characters (like parentheses) you have use the main keyboard area anyway and switching back and forth between the main block and the number block is certainly not efficient.

This naturally all assumes touch-typing since touch-typing is definitely more efficient than type-by-view.

A spreadsheet by definition has columns and rows of numbers!! That's right- numbers!
  • Reply 73 of 163
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

I love all the people on here making excuses for Apple's flub. A numbered keyboard should be included as the default- end of story. That's an industry standard for a desktop.

You and all your whining friends here are such babies it is unbelievable. For no extra money you can choose the keyboard with a numeric keypad. What's the problem? The reason Apple does not choose it as default option is because most people don't make use of the keypad. If you remember when SJ introduced the alu wireless keyboard he said that what users value is their desktop - the real one, not the virtual one. I have no reason to doubt that. Adding 6" of distance between the keyboard and the mouse is inefficient and wasteful if you aren't going to use it. Its all very simple.
  • Reply 74 of 163
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

It figures you would be trying to defend and make something "logical" out of anything illogical coming out from Apple.

Well, at least I try to make a contribution to the overall picture and advance knowledge and understanding on the topics I post about, even if I'm wrong, and even if I come across poorly in one way or another. What is your agenda? Why do you post these snippy one-liners that are only meant to call someone else out? What's the point in that beyond your own self-satisfaction?

As far as making a contribution on this particular post, your assertion that Apple has "cut off" (ZOMG!) the "non creative" (presumably you mean business oriented), part of the market by making the default keyboard without the number pad is pretty ridiculous in light of the fact that the option for the old keyboard is still there. Most businesses would order in bulk from the Apple store online and can easily specify that they want the keyboard with the number pad. Who starts a business by going to BestBuy for a computer anyway? And even if they did, we do not at this point know what BestBuy is going to do about this new situation, so basing your whole schtick on some assumptions you've made about that is again kind of ridiculous.

Furthermore, your other assertion that "A numbered keyboard should be included as the default- end of story." is way over the top and totally rude. What's the point of coming here just to dictate to everyone what you think? Why not ask a question once in a while since you are so rarely accurate in your various "pronouncements from the mountain-top?" Why not drop the profanity laden "nasty-guy" act and have some humility for a change?
  • Reply 75 of 163
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Why doesn't somebody just develop an LCD keyboard? The lack of tactile feedback would be compensated for in the same way that the iPhone/iTouch compensates for it: by showing you large versions of the letters on the screen.

This would solve tons of problems:

1) No need for various international keyboards, Dvorak, etc. This would be especially beneficial for French Canadians, who are cursed with an extremely rare variety of keyboard, the French version of QWERTY (in France, they use AZERTY). They need to wait longer than most if their favourite brand of keyboard changes.

2) Keyboard shortcuts could be displayed prominently when somebody presses a modifier key (ex Comand)

3) Gaming. Gamers could see which keys do what (ex "W" is to go forward)

4) Dual-trackpad functionality. If I want to turn the keyboard into a giant trackpad, there's nothing stopping me).

What's preventing computer makers in general from doing this?
  • Reply 76 of 163
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Why doesn't somebody just develop an LCD keyboard? The lack of tactile feedback would be compensated for in the same way that the iPhone/iTouch compensates for it: by showing you large versions of the letters on the screen.

This would solve tons of problems:

1) No need for various international keyboards, Dvorak, etc. This would be especially beneficial for French Canadians, who are cursed with an extremely rare variety of keyboard, the French version of QWERTY (in France, they use AZERTY). They need to wait longer than most if their favourite brand of keyboard changes.

2) Keyboard shortcuts could be displayed prominently when somebody presses a modifier key (ex Comand)

3) Gaming. Gamers could see which keys do what (ex "W" is to go forward)

4) Dual-trackpad functionality. If I want to turn the keyboard into a giant trackpad, there's nothing stopping me).

What's preventing computer makers in general from doing this?

price (actually, I believe it already exists)
  • Reply 77 of 163
    tkimagetkimage Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luke1robb View Post

...Apple might be prepping a multi-touch glass trackpad for their desktop line. ...one could attach (via usb) a trackpad to either end of the keyboard (lefty or righty).

Don't blow this off, I think its gonna happen in some manner. Multi-touch is still non-existent on their desktop line, a glaring signal to me.

Thoughts?

I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to get rid of this antiquated mouse attached to my keyboard and use a glass trackpad instead. I love the one on my MacBook, Why can't I have one on my iMac?

That would ROCK!
  • Reply 78 of 163
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I understand some people wanting a keyboard with numeric pad. There are plenty of tasks for which it is indispensable.

But half of the comments here are just moronic. As if people can't comprehend that others have different needs than themselves. (Oh wait, this is the internet. Carry on. )

For those of you who can't comprehend the motivation behind numeric-padless keyboard...

here are a couple reasons.

Many people never use the numeric pad. For them the smaller keyboard is more convenient and ergonomic. If balancing the keyboard on your lap, it works better without a numeric pad. If using a mouse next to the keyboard on a desk, the mouse is in a more convenient and ergonomic position without the numeric pad. Also, it takes up less space on the surface of the desk.

(*Certainly these criteria aren't paramount for everyone.)
  • Reply 79 of 163
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Pecking at numbers at the top of your keyboard is just not more efficient than a numbered keyboard. I swear some people will just eat sh*t and die if Apple tells them to.

As usual, YMMV. I type 80wpm on the top row.

What I don't get is people who insist on being vulgar and snipe-ish simply because a company doesn't tailor its options specifically to them.

Must be such a sad life.
  • Reply 80 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You and all your whining friends here are such babies it is unbelievable. For no extra money you can choose the keyboard with a numeric keypad. What's the problem? The reason Apple does not choose it as default option is because most people don't make use of the keypad. If you remember when SJ introduced the alu wireless keyboard he said that what users value is their desktop - the real one, not the virtual one. I have no reason to doubt that. Adding 6" of distance between the keyboard and the mouse is inefficient and wasteful if you aren't going to use it. Its all very simple.

Apple gives you less and you eat it.