Source: Apple's next-gen iPhone has video camera

Comments

• Reply 61 of 128
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't any digital camera capable of recording video?? Isn't the present camera capable - it's the software that's lacking? Is the present camera that inferior?
  • Reply 62 of 128
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    A number of people are asking whether Apple will release a new iPhone this year and yes they will. I am not saying this with knowledge of insider information, but looking at the history of their product line as a whole. Apple makes it policy, more or less, to release a new version of a given product every year. Doing this keeps the line fresh, people buying and the competition running.

Apple listens to its customers, but will only act on it if they feel they can get it right. There are too many people selling fudged products, that Apple does not need to be another one.

Looking at the new iPod shuffle show that Apple is able to get things small, really small. What that means for a device like the iPhone is that if they can probably cram more into the case using the same approach. What I imagine seeing in the iPhone this June (both phones were released in that month in previous years):

- better battery capacity (but not necessarily longer charge)

- better CPU

- better GPU

- more storage, probably 32GB

- camera improvements

The reason I say the a battery will have better capacity, but still need to be charged as often simply because of the load a better CPU and GPU will put on it. One thing that the iPod had never had is an SD slot, or anything equivalent and I am not sure this is likely to change.

Since we are now going to start seeing turn-by-turn mapping software on the phone there will need to be enough space for it. Checking Tom Tom, their North America map comes in just under 2GB and their Western and Central Europe maps comes in at 2GB. That is a lot of storage space. Ideally having a mini-SD slot would be welcome, but seeing history more onboard storage space is likely to come first.
  • Reply 63 of 128
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

A number of people are asking whether Apple will release a new iPhone this year and yes they will.

with video?
  • Reply 64 of 128
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I'd love to see a Xenon flash but I guess that it would make the phone too thick.

I'm expecting N95 level optics in the next iPhone (5MP still, VGA recording) but that's still a way off the top phones (Samsung's OmniaHD has 8MP still with face/smile detection, 720P recording). Auto-focus is a must though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't any digital camera capable of recording video?? Isn't the present camera capable - it's the software that's lacking? Is the present camera that inferior?

Technically, yes. However, if you want to record video in decent quality then it's best to use a dedicated MPEG-4 chip.
  • Reply 65 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It could be any number of factors, including a sensor with a low response rate, a high drain on battery life or not enough memory to buffer the images. I am willing to bet the sensor has a low response rate, which may be too slow for acceptable movies. This is based on simply seeing how the image staggers when I move the iPhone around.
  • Reply 66 of 128
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Those were basically early prototypes displayed at various Expo's. Video phones will become prevalent. Maybe it will be the iPhone that can truly get this tech to the hoi polloi

I recall that AT&T had a video phone product in the 80's. It was more of a slide show phone, but the idea didn't capture enough public imagination to take hold, it only captured just enough to be mocked in a couple sitcoms.
  • Reply 67 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryanhauer View Post

Dude, you could have made the same the same point without the excessive profanity.
  • Reply 68 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

with video?

WIth the better GPU and potentially a better sensor, then yes. It also fits into providing the 'something else' that makes people want to upgrade. Supplementary storage space helps too.
  • Reply 69 of 128
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    How about adding video calls to the thing. Other countries (Japan, Australia, etc )have been doing this for some time now. The U.S. is SOOOO far behind in this area of technology it is embarrassing.

I don't really care if the iPhone gets a video camera to take videos, but to provide video calling, that is a different story. I don't expect Apple to implement this in the next iteration of iPhones, but perhaps within a few more years. By then, of course, Japan will have little holographic projectors in their keitais...ala Darth Vader and his "magic hand"
  • Reply 70 of 128
    bslaghtbslaght Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How could they implement voice dialing. They would need another physical button or add an additional role to a curent physical buttons. Making it a SW button defeats the purpose.

The sleep and home buttons aren't well positioned for this feature, IMO. The volume buttons are but holding down the volume buttons for an extended period is already in use. I've tried to hold both buttons at once in the middle and this wouldn't work unless the button was altered.

There is also the lock toggle switch. I think it would be just about ideal if it were made into a button that not only toggles lock/unlock but could be depressed. The position is great for a right-handed person as it's near the index finger when holding the device in portrait mode. If it's in your pocket that button would be near the top and easy to feel for.

I think a much better solution is video dialing. Screw voice dialing! You click the camera app and make a certain face that is interrupted to mean you wish to call a certain person. The way that iPhoto '09 works.

You can't be serious?? I think most people use voice like I do (or at least what I have seen) You press the button on your bluetooth ear piece to activate the voice dialing. I never touched my MotoRazr, just push the button on my ear...BAM! Then say "Call Mom" or "Call Home", If I had to touch my phone, it would lose the point to me. I want to be hands free during driving, not digging in my pocket to press a button on my phone. Add the voice dial button to the ear piece....forget the phone.
  • Reply 71 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

How about adding video calls to the thing. Other countries (Japan, Australia, etc )have been doing this for some time now. The U.S. is SOOOO far behind in this area of technology it is embarrassing.

But when pressed, most of the proponents admit that many people aren't eager enough to actually use it. So you have the capability, but finding actual users is harder.
  • Reply 72 of 128
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

Idiot and toilet mouth. There is really no need for the bad language. It just shows your mentality.

Or my nationality

I'll try to keep it clean officer!
  • Reply 73 of 128
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I don't really care if the iPhone gets a video camera to take videos, but to provide video calling, that is a different story. I don't expect Apple to implement this in the next iteration of iPhones, but perhaps within a few more years. By then, of course, Japan will have little holographic projectors in their keitais...ala Darth Vader and his "magic hand"

Yep. Check out the prices. http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/nex...o_calling.html

If you are willing to pay the piper, keep demanding it.

By the way, they haven't been doing it for some time and it is not being used very often. Much like video conferencing via the computer. Most don't have the most recent hardware, internet service or desire to let others know what they look like at the moment.

Certainly, those that are driving will be reluctant and shouldn't, and having to have the camera facing you causes an issue.

Remember, you were referring to video calls, not recording a gaggle of geese crossing a highway and wanting it to get on the evening news.

More important, whoever you are calling, has to have a similar functioning phone. Good luck.
  • Reply 74 of 128
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bslaght View Post

You can't be serious?? I think most people use voice like I do (or at least what I have seen) You press the button on your bluetooth ear piece to activate the voice dialing. I never touched my MotoRazr, just push the button on my ear...BAM! Then say "Call Mom" or "Call Home", If I had to touch my phone, it would lose the point to me. I want to be hands free during driving, not digging in my pocket to press a button on my phone. Add the voice dial button to the ear piece....forget the phone.

I'm quite serious. YOu can't propose a system that only works in certain environments under certain conditions and expect it to catch on.

So you propose a system had requires a BT headset to work. Just because I have physcial access to my phone doesn't mean I want to scroll through the menu finding a name I call regularly. There should be a way to enable voice dialing from any of the HW with mics in them.

Which button would I press on my Jawbone 2 to enable voie dialing? It has a button the back for volume and one in the middle for on/off. The buttons are so simple in the way they work so would this be a firmware update, would this require new HW or is this functionality already available for my earpiece with other phones?

Apple's headphones, which is how I mainly use my iPhone wouldn't work in their latest setup. I don't think there is anything set for click and hold, but by doing so you are probably blocking the mic with your fingers.
  • Reply 75 of 128
    bdoggbdogg Posts: 8member
    Another thing in addition to the publish video "typo" in OS 3.0 is the the appearance of the youtube accounts setting. Obviously if you wanted to upload straight to YouTube from iPhone you need to have an active youtube account.

A partnership with Apple and youtube would be a great marketing tool: shoot and publish directly to youtube with one tap.

However, are the cellphone network providers able to deliver on this? Are mobile data speeds a) fast enough b) stable enough to take all the uploaders? Is the hardware ready?
  • Reply 76 of 128
    Good point.

My Net connection at home has far faster downloads than uploads; I send video sometimes and it is best to set it and go grab a coffee.
  • Reply 77 of 128
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdogg View Post

However, are the cellphone network providers able to deliver on this? Are mobile data speeds a) fast enough b) stable enough to take all the uploaders? Is the hardware ready?

Uploading video would be painful on EDGE or the current 3G for AT&T. If your device is connected to a decent HSUPA or HSPA+ network that could work, but I am thinking that WiFi will be the only option out of the gate.

Welcome to AI.
  • Reply 78 of 128
    bdoggbdogg Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Welcome to AI.

Thanks!

Definitely new hardware coming in June. Think about it: 2G iphone users original contracts are due to expire then, plus Jobs is meant to be back in June from sick leave. It would make perfect sense for him to announce the new iPhone model.

Will be interesting to see how apple handles all the new firmware now. There will be 2G iphone, 3G iphone and new iphone. All will have different OS limitations (as we saw in os 3.0 announcement w/ 2g MMS). So, it would make marketing sense to have the new iPhone be able to do something extra that the 3G can't - ie. video. It would incentivise 3G owners to upgrade too...
  • Reply 79 of 128
    Actually, the 3G has a very good video cam (assuming you jailbreak your phone). Works great.

RT

www.online-privacy.pro.tc
  • Reply 80 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

People complain about the 3G network now? Wait until people start clogging it up trying to transfer video files. That's a brilliant idea.

I'm sure this could be throttled and put on a background process.