Apple debuts speedier iPhone 3G S with built-in video camera

Comments

• Reply 61 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theBigD23 View Post

I bought my 3G 8 months ago, what are the prices for upgrading without a contract for the 16 or 32?

I would think it was $200 more... at 399 and 499. Someone above said 700. So if I lost my phone, I would have to pay 700 to upgrade?

The answer is YES. I lost mine a few weeks ago and this is exactly what you are expected to pay for a replacement regardless of you standing with AT&T. Absolutely NO customer loyalty! The rep I spoke with told me that according to their contract with Apple, AT&T stores are not allowed to offer a discount to any customers that have LOST their phones before they are officially "qualified" to upgrade. However, I was offered a substantial discount on on my pick of any of the other smart phones that AT&T carries. How fucked is that??
  • Reply 62 of 263
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jr1882 View Post

I already have a 3G iPhone and I bought the 1st one and they want to charge me $699 for a new one????? That is Horse crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to stick it to your existing customers AT&T. When I bought the 3G last Summer and just went into the Apple store and paid $199 and I have the 1st iPhone for only a year as well. It says I have to wait until 1/1/2010. I may call the Apple store and see if this is the case. I try to pre order online and I get the $699 price and my AT & T account states the same.

solipism/melgross- where are you when we need you? you're our only hope!
  • Reply 63 of 263
    jr1882jr1882 Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Thats JULY 12th, not JUNE 12th!

Where did you see June 12th? When I try and buy it it saas 1/1/2010
  • Reply 64 of 263
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Faster, sure. But how much? Any specs on the processor or RAM yet?
  • Reply 65 of 263
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theBigD23 View Post

I bought my 3G 8 months ago, what are the prices for upgrading without a contract for the 16 or 32?

I would think it was $200 more... at 399 and 499. Someone above said 700. So if I lost my phone, I would have to pay 700 to upgrade?

edited
  • Reply 66 of 263
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

All of our dreams come true today. Thank you apple. The iphone rocks .

Come back soon steve, we miss you.

Peace

Same old crap design = light leaks, dust, loose buttons, cracks in casing... Ya thanks Apple.
  • Reply 67 of 263
    richwlrichwl Posts: 30member
    Quote:

I already have a 3G iPhone and I bought the 1st one and they want to charge me $699 for a new one????? That is Horse crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to stick it to your existing customers AT&T. When I bought the 3G last Summer and just went into the Apple store and paid $199 and I have the 1st iPhone for only a year as well. It says I have to wait until 1/1/2010. I may call the Apple store and see if this is the case. I try to pre order online and I get the $699 price and my AT & T account states the same.

That is crazy if true. I've had my 2G iPhone for nearly 2 years, but still. I get the upgrade price of $299 for the 32GB 3GS and you have to pay $699? Have you had your 3G for a full year?
  • Reply 68 of 263
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:

Umm, that's what happens when you sign a contract. The US carriers have operated the exact same way for years and years on end. The upgrade from 2G to 3G was a 1 time special deal to try to get people off the $20 data plan to the $30 data plan. Figures, people get offered a way to escape their contract once and they expect it everytime.

Welcome to life man...
  • Reply 69 of 263
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but what can you do with a compass that you can't do with GPS?
  • Reply 70 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pepboy1 View Post

I am an existing AT & T 2G iphone owner. Glad I waited. But when I went to sign up online, AT & T is asking for an $18 activation fee and a $18 upgrade fee. Wow, those seem like serious hidden charges. I am already an AT & T customer , why pay to activate again? And a $18 upgrade fee? C'mon now. Anyone else experience this when trying to upgrade today?

I did get the $199 price for the 16GB, but still unfair.

att no tethering eh?

still ordered my 32gb black, iphone user since the start, upgraded to 3g early, and my bonus for doing s? i got to pay $499 for 3gs 32gb black, plus 2x$18 att charges

thanks att - you suck. I paid cos I can, but it left me with a bitter taste, after the sweet upgrade apple have delivered.
  • Reply 71 of 263
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

All of our dreams come true today. ...

Unless, (like me), your dreams involved video chatting on an OLED screen with a more reasonably priced data plan (or any of the three in isolation.)
  • Reply 72 of 263
    Just checked our AT&T account online. Blackberries are supported with tethering by AT&T. it is an extra fee charged each month for 5GB. Obviously they can sustain tethering with cell phones, but havent provided this for iPhone users.

GFY AT&T

• Reply 73 of 263
    I am a natt premier customer that is eligible for an upgrade. I just went through the online order and I was eligible for the iphone 3gs 16 gig for $199 and my pre-order went through.

My ipone 3gs will be shipping to me on the 19th of june .There was no way i would be waiting on the 1+ hour long lines that will be at the apple store by me on that day.

Just a heads up for any att premier customers who had any questions.
  • Reply 74 of 263
    smo84smo84 Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

$599(16GB) and $699(32GB) to upgrade!

read the fine print for current iphone 3g users:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ne?mco=MTE2OTU

(at the bottom)

"For non-qualified customers, including existing AT&T customers who want to upgrade from another phone or replace an iPhone 3G, the price with a new two-year agreement is $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB)"

I read all that and am a sad panda.

If this really turns out to be true, ATT is creating a NIGHTMARE on their hands because its cheaper for someone to cancel their current contracts and then re-sign up and get the discounted pricing. Total freaking mess, which i will do instead of paying $700 for an iphone.
  • Reply 74 of 263
    firehirefirehire Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Usually they extend their normal upgrade pricing for the new releases to support the early adopter community. In this instance they are making those who upgraded to the 3g Wait a month and a half, or will allow you to purchase for an additional $200 with the same 2 year extension.

So, my point is that they are missing the market on everyone who upgraded to the 3G and want to make a purchase.

So true, I just tried to upgrade and it was it $499.00 for the 32GB. It told me I had to wait until 5/23/2010 to get a better price. ATT better pull their heads out of their rectums, because they will lose a ton of upgrade sales with these Gestapo tactics.
  • Reply 76 of 263
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You have to live out about 18 months of your current contract before you are eligible for a new subsidized phone. AT&T doesn't want to subsidize your iPhone purchase every year. No phone carrier does that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Yes, true. I guess at the base of it is all of the excitement of the new release, and then having AT&T pour water on the upgrade. (For valid or non-valid reasons) Getting a bit tired of AT&T.

I spend a small fortune with them (4 iPhones in our family), and I would have through that they would have thought it through a bit more, to offer the hoard of folks that lined up to purchase the phone last year a way to do it again, instead of a cold response.

• Reply 77 of 263
    They've already updated the App Store over the air in 3.0:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesjgill/3608649942/

Haven't got 3.0 GM yet. Also already updated iTunes Store with Movies over the air too.
  • Reply 78 of 263
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Its not gestapo, subsidizing iPhone's is expensive for AT&T. Its a normal practice that you have to live out a certain amount of your contract before you are eligible for a new subsidized phone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by firehire View Post

So true, I just tried to upgrade and it was it $499.00 for the 32GB. It told me I had to wait until 5/23/2010 to get a better price. ATT better pull their heads out of their rectums, because they will lose a ton of upgrade sales with these Gestapo tactics.

• Reply 79 of 263
    smo84smo84 Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post

For any of you who bought the 3G phone on day 1 (aka stood in line), what does it say for your eligdability for a standard upgrade? Mine says:

12/12/09

Which would be 18 months

The Early Upgrade fee is:

$299.00* — 8GB iPhone 3G (black)

$399.00* — 16GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)

$499.00* — 32GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)

Mine says the same thing, i purchased a few days later and it says 12/17/2009....seems like this is going to be the actual 3g adopter release date lol
  • Reply 80 of 263
    jr1882jr1882 Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You have to live out about 18 months of your current contract before you are eligible for a new subsidized phone. AT&T doesn't want to subsidize your iPhone purchase every year. No phone carrier does that.

Why wouldnt they??? They would just have locked me in for another 2 years instead of the 1 year I have now.... That's $1500 in their pockets for the extra year of service.